“DmC: Devil May Cry Has Survived the Backlash & Aged Better Than Many of Its Contemporaries” - The Escapist is still shit even with Moviebob fired

Ad Lib Moaning

kiwifarms.net
You guys missed the point. The headline was

'Survived [...] Than Many of Its Contemporaries'​

Does anymore remember Remember me anymore? Heard of The Cave before? And so on? The fact that DmC is still talked about to this day shows that yes, its one of the games that survived 2013.
Journalist got the wrong reason why it was hated so much though

Snekposter

This is Snek.
kiwifarms.net
Gonna be honest and say the Donte attitude and look suits Nero a lot better than it does Dante. Anyone else remember how he was brought up as part of a religious organization that worships his granddaddy as the savior of mankind? Him being a rebellious edgelord makes a lot more sense than Donte being well, Donte. Same with his "Fuck you, DAD!" attitude since you know... his dad is a massive asshole prick who sliced off his son's arm off to get Yamato back.

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
Man, going back and seeing what their idea of Dante was is....really something.

Some examples.
View attachment 1785760View attachment 1785761View attachment 1785763View attachment 1785762
The one that stuck out in terms of "trying too hard" was the club scene when Dante gets denied entry. Goes up to the bouncer, bouncer says he's not on the list. Dante knocks out the bouncer and writes something on the clipboard and walks in. Pans over to the clipboard and it says FUCK YOU! in big letters across the board. If he wrote "Dante", that would be kinda cool, but no, it's "fuck you, you don't tell me what to do", straight out of Rage Against The Machine.

Another one, hey Dante, you need to get Mundus mad for out plan to work. Guess what he does? He taunts him over the sniper abortion of his child. Our hero, taunting a evil corrupt exec figure by telling him how you killed his (admittedly demonic) child. What a good guy.
lolohwow.jpeg

I think the biggest fuck up was not realizing how amazing and a breath of fresh air Dante WAS during the 2000s to fans and entertainment out west. Dante was cool, flippant, and not "CRAWLING IN MUH SKIINNNNN DES WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEALL" grimdark edgelord numetal garbage or "The world is REEEL AND GRAY", and he came crashing in along with Toonami and Guilty Gear at this time. He was a brilliant mix of the fresh and vibrant anime and video game world with the flair and class of classic Hollywood action movies and took fucking names because fuck you, he's Dante, he's gonna fuck your shit up six ways from Sunday, and he's got the skills to pay the bills and kick your ass while doing it. Dante was popular with everyone. He didn't have the dark anime bent like Beyond the Grave or Zero from Mega Man Zero, or the whole brooding emo undertones like Sasuke Uchiha and Inuyasha, he took a bit from everything and still is a great character. He's as funny and approachable as much as he has his serious and no nonsense moments, as cool and awesome as much as he can be a standout guy, and knows when to hang it up from when to draw the line. He's not just industrial goth and hard alt, but classic rock and heavy metal. He's not just GunGrave and Hellsing, but Trigun and Chrono Crusade. He's not just The Crow, but Poltergeist and fun B shit like The Hole and Tuff Turf. He's not just inspired by old stuff, but was brought into his era because of inspiration and admiration because of those timeless aspects and put together with what could be. DmC Dante? He's every whiny faggot I ever had the misfortune of encountering trying to be all "hard and real" and was insufferable as them, and they also turned out to be gay cowboys into today.

Ironically, the more "realistic" and "gritty" the attempt to make something colorwise, the less realistic it is. It's far more jarring to have actual spectrum of color and have odd and off norm scenarios happen, something that Devil May Cry always did for its design, and got it from Resident Evil, which is one of the reason why its parent series did so well back in the day.

The other problem with political commentary post the mid 2000s and the Great Recession was that nothing dared to have moral or ethical impact to dare shock the fucking system. Everything got fucking murky because everyone got fucking scared of "being the real terrorists and not being like Europe, boo hoo hoo." Fuck these copout galless fuckfaces. For as much as controversial and as ambivalent the guy remains on my radar, I'll give credit to how Michael Moore legit had the fucking gall to call out Bush Jr. as a baby killer on live cinema, Family Guy put out jokes about how the rich never had to send out their offspring to Iraq, and how Borat helped to showcase how fucking degenerate actual festering parts of malaised and disconnected American "high society" really is. DmC felt like the MCU and DCU with shitty obvious and hamfisted pussyfoot tiptoeing copout fist pulling about how "men are the real demons" and other flatearther bullshit that is completely off fucking character. In the original DMC, Dante never actively kills humans, even if they are the most baby eating evil sociopaths to ever walk the face of the earth. He leaves that for other men to deal with. Demons are meant to be the main problem because they are meant to be fantastical evils that no one can ever portend or understand because they're that dangerous by themselves, and he's the only one able to deal with their threat. Sure, we get into scenarios of men trying to become demons and worshipping their powers, but Dante isn't the one to end them, that's always up to Nero or Lady. Even then, demons are only known to want to turn mankind into cattle and sport animals, because the evils of mankind are strictly made to be its own problem on its own accord. You want your "power of mankind and GAWD ANGEL POWER" fantasy? Do your own fucking series. You want to make hardhitting social commentary? Don't be a fucking wimp and cater to dangerhaired asshole crotches and DO YOUR OWN FUCKING SERIES.

I also never even played DmC, but I'll say that the lore and all of its worldbuilding and combat and weapons selection are fucking bland. Yeah, I'm sure the generic rust colored weapons will win out over a succubus possessed electric guitar with the power of rock n' fuckin' roll, a fleshy demon sword that can transform into a scythe, and a possessed great sword that kills you if it doesn't think you're worthy enough to wield it as a test of character.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
lolohwow.jpeg

I think the biggest fuck up was not realizing how amazing and a breath of fresh air Dante WAS during the 2000s to fans and entertainment out west. Dante was cool, flippant, and not "CRAWLING IN MUH SKIINNNNN DES WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEALL" grimdark edgelord numetal garbage or "The world is REEEL AND GRAY", and he came crashing in along with Toonami and Guilty Gear at this time. He was a brilliant mix of the fresh and vibrant anime and video game world with the flair and class of classic Hollywood action movies and took fucking names because fuck you, he's Dante, he's gonna fuck your shit up six ways from Sunday, and he's got the skills to pay the bills and kick your ass while doing it. Dante was popular with everyone. He didn't have the dark anime bent like Beyond the Grave or Zero from Mega Man Zero, or the whole brooding emo undertones like Sasuke Uchiha and Inuyasha, he took a bit from everything and still is a great character. He's as funny and approachable as much as he has his serious and no nonsense moments, as cool and awesome as much as he can be a standout guy, and knows when to hang it up from when to draw the line. He's not just industrial goth and hard alt, but classic rock and heavy metal. He's not just GunGrave and Hellsing, but Trigun and Chrono Crusade. He's not just The Crow, but Poltergeist and fun B shit like The Hole and Tuff Turf. He's not just inspired by old stuff, but was brought into his era because of inspiration and admiration because of those timeless aspects and put together with what could be. DmC Dante? He's every whiny faggot I ever had the misfortune of encountering trying to be all "hard and real" and was insufferable as them, and they also turned out to be gay cowboys into today.

Ironically, the more "realistic" and "gritty" the attempt to make something colorwise, the less realistic it is. It's far more jarring to have actual spectrum of color and have odd and off norm scenarios happen, something that Devil May Cry always did for its design, and got it from Resident Evil, which is one of the reason why its parent series did so well back in the day.

The other problem with political commentary post the mid 2000s and the Great Recession was that nothing dared to have moral or ethical impact to dare shock the fucking system. Everything got fucking murky because everyone got fucking scared of "being the real terrorists and not being like Europe, boo hoo hoo." Fuck these copout galless fuckfaces. For as much as controversial and as ambivalent the guy remains on my radar, I'll give credit to how Michael Moore legit had the fucking gall to call out Bush Jr. as a baby killer on live cinema, Family Guy put out jokes about how the rich never had to send out their offspring to Iraq, and how Borat helped to showcase how fucking degenerate actual festering parts of malaised and disconnected American "high society" really is. DmC felt like the MCU and DCU with shitty obvious and hamfisted pussyfoot tiptoeing copout fist pulling about how "men are the real demons" and other flatearther bullshit that is completely off fucking character. In the original DMC, Dante never actively kills humans, even if they are the most baby eating evil sociopaths to ever walk the face of the earth. He leaves that for other men to deal with. Demons are meant to be the main problem because they are meant to be fantastical evils that no one can ever portend or understand because they're that dangerous by themselves, and he's the only one able to deal with their threat. Sure, we get into scenarios of men trying to become demons and worshipping their powers, but Dante isn't the one to end them, that's always up to Nero or Lady. Even then, demons are only known to want to turn mankind into cattle and sport animals, because the evils of mankind are strictly made to be its own problem on its own accord. You want your "power of mankind and GAWD ANGEL POWER" fantasy? Do your own fucking series. You want to make hardhitting social commentary? Don't be a fucking wimp and cater to dangerhaired asshole crotches and DO YOUR OWN FUCKING SERIES.

I also never even played DmC, but I'll say that the lore and all of its worldbuilding and combat and weapons selection are fucking bland. Yeah, I'm sure the generic rust colored weapons will win out over a succubus possessed electric guitar with the power of rock n' fuckin' roll, a fleshy demon sword that can transform into a scythe, and a possessed great sword that kills you if it doesn't think you're worthy enough to wield it as a test of character.
You reminded me of this video I came across between when DMC5 was announced and when it came out.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
You guys missed the point. The headline was

'Survived [...] Than Many of Its Contemporaries'​

Does anymore remember Remember me anymore? Heard of The Cave before? And so on? The fact that DmC is still talked about to this day shows that yes, its one of the games that survived 2013.
Journalist got the wrong reason why it was hated so much though
The Last of Us (the good one), Metal Gear Rising, Injustice, Rayman Legends, far cry blood dragon. GTA V alone is enough to disprove your point

Ad Lib Moaning

kiwifarms.net
The Last of Us (the good one), Metal Gear Rising, Injustice, Rayman Legends, far cry blood dragon. GTA V alone is enough to disprove your point
I did say 'one of the games that survived'; those games are way too obvious to list, I just listed two that people would barely or never remember of instead. I was about to list Anarchy Reigns alongside it, but thought that would be cheating since people just want to pretend that game doesn't exist. I think that Slenderman game also came out during that time and it faded out so fast?
Even if DmC is mostly talked about in a negative or humourous light nowadays, all I was saying is that it survived that weird time in 2013 for video games to this day and a bunch of other games faded out of memory.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It wasn't hated because it was different it was hated because it was a literal "fuck you" to the old established fans of the franchises.
I played this one first and still hated it, despite having no nostalgia for the series. Donte is obnoxious faggot, Vorgil is less obnoxious, but still a faggot, and does very dumb 180 in the end. I love how they pitched that girl as "not your typical damsel in distress" and she just gets captured, rescued and "I know that you're Dontey", the end, that's literally all she does. Like really, how helpless as a screenwriter you should be, if you can't even beat the shounen anime in terms of complexity? And the style, oh my God, magic graffiti, everyone swears, "LET'S SEE HOW MANY LIKES THIS PHOTO OF A DEMON IS GONNA GET" - it's one endless "how do you do, fellow kids". And the combat, I'd say it's ok, but really, it's not, you can just spam one move for a ground control and one for mass damage, otherwise fights are very boring. I've got tricked into playing it until I reach DMD, because "that's where the game shines" and guess what? Barely a thing has changed, because crowd control + mass damage and I kicked Vorgil's ass with the Rebellion alone. Years later I've reached DMD in DMC5 and holy shit, that was painful. I can't even compare this to the reboot.

Foolish Samurai Warrior

ASHI LIVES!
kiwifarms.net
Is DmC canon?
Hell to the no.
Dante's DLC costume?
Not DLC costume, pretty sure that's his EX costume.
You reminded me of this video I came across between when DMC5 was announced and when it came out.
Ah, GamingBrit. I love that dude's passion for DMCIt's so big there's a meme that he has to mention DMC in some form in every video.
I still wish we had gotten a Bayo/Dante crossover game
Who knows? Maybe that's Bayonetta 3.

ShiftyBoi

kiwifarms.net
I forgot, this video reminded me. The one thing I liked about DMC, Bob Barbas.
1608021119100.png

Good use of glitch art. Fun character.

Raiken

Making Nanomachines great again
kiwifarms.net
The nice thing about Dante is that even with all his wacky attitude and skill, he is still a guy who struggles to pay the bills by either lady and trish taking part of it or spending it all on his outfits(with the ocasional "you don't need to pay me" tossed in there).
He also is far more flawed then what most journos even know about, he lost his entire family and could do nothing about saving his brother from mind controle after he could not save him from hell.
He turned into a shell of himself in DMC2 (even tough that had more to do with the original director not knowing what to do with him) and only started turning back into himself after he encountered Nero.

DMC is at the core is more about family with a side dish of demon slaying, and DmC tries to do something like that, but fucked it up by making both brothers edgelords in total opposide directins; one is a self hating douche while the other is the fedora tipping leader of anonymous.

Slimy Time

New president, new Wu flu
kiwifarms.net
I forgot, this video reminded me. The one thing I liked about DMC, Bob Barbas.
View attachment 1789852
Good use of glitch art. Fun character.
That was the best fight in that game, between the glitch art to the idea of Dante being pulled into these news broadcasts where he's killing demons, but its being reported as him killing innocent humans. The rest of the boss fights were rubbish and poorly designed. Mundus looks like this giant trash monster. Vergil fight feels inferior to any incarnation. The DLC fight against Hollow Vergil from Bleach in Hueco Mundo has a part where he teleports off screen and you can't do anything but dodge.

Mangy Mutt

spreading disease
kiwifarms.net
DmC's art style and flair is where it really shined. The fight with Bob Barbas was easy but memorable and the Lilith's Club gauntlet combined with Noisia were massive highlights. It did have a lot of other creative ideas, it's just a shame that it's own sheer edgelordiness and meh characters let it down. Barbas was a minor character but it really says something when he is the only one that really stood out as fresh and unique (it helps that he's a pretty hilariously real parody of news anchors). I do have some fond memories of the game back when it first released but DMC5 was kind of the eye opener that made me realise where DmC was lacking.

Regardless, I liked that DMC5 payed some "no hard feelings" homages and even took some inspirations from DmC. Despite the fan rivalry and the latter kind of shitting all over the former, Capcom handled it gracefully. Kinda wholesome tbh.

Snekposter

This is Snek.
kiwifarms.net
DmC's art style and flair is where it really shined. The fight with Bob Barbas was easy but memorable and the Lilith's Club gauntlet combined with Noisia were massive highlights. It did have a lot of other creative ideas, it's just a shame that it's own sheer edgelordiness and meh characters let it down. Barbas was a minor character but it really says something when he is the only one that really stood out as fresh and unique (it helps that he's a pretty hilariously real parody of news anchors). I do have some fond memories of the game back when it first released but DMC5 was kind of the eye opener that made me realise where DmC was lacking.

Regardless, I liked that DMC5 payed some "no hard feelings" homages and even took some inspirations from DmC. Despite the fan rivalry and the latter kind of shitting all over the former, Capcom handled it gracefully. Kinda wholesome tbh.
You're right about those two parts really shining out of that turd of a game. Mostly because they were the only ones to really cut loose and have fun with that whole "weird daemon reality" thing, and they honestly feel like fights a younger Dante would find himself in. The nightclub would have been a great place to have a DMC 3 style opening where he's younger and dancing with a woman while sipping a virgin daiquiri or something then bam, demon world transition and he throws his drink in the air, kicks ass to rave music, and then catches it as he transitions back to reality.

Last edited: