“DmC: Devil May Cry Has Survived the Backlash & Aged Better Than Many of Its Contemporaries” - The Escapist is still shit even with Moviebob fired

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
journalists will always be mad this game was a critical failure.
DmC making journalists completely assmad is beautiful and amazing. Basically why they hate DmC so much is because DmC shows they have no influence whatsoever. Its their 'the emperor has no clothes'. That nobody, absolutely nobody, will listen to them. Not their audience, not publishers, not major companies, no one. DmC represents the explicit fact that they only exist and are only paid to shill products at the current moment. That they're whores and nobody values them for anything other than the crap they put out.

Basically, its removing all pretension, all trappings that they are anything BUT living advertisements. That their opinion is fundamentally of no value and is easily replaced. It demonstrates for a fact, that they have no influence. That they aren't meant to have influence. Their only function is to toe the line that they're paid to toe. This is why they will always, always try to retcon DmC into something like success. Because it puts them on display for everyone to see what they actually are: whores that no one cares about, no one listens to, and ultimately, no one likes.

Raiken

Making Nanomachines great again
kiwifarms.net
The thing that put Capcom into that position to begin with is that they expected DMC4 to sell twice as much because it also would be on the 360 while having the budged basicaly cut to the point where they almost had to scrap half the game.
Most people did not even finish the Dante playtrough because of it while he had the most to offer.
Those dice puzzles? trying to stretch the game.
Dante obtaining weapons that had nothing to do with the boss? Yeah.
Him fighting alost exactly the same bosses as nero? boring.
The funny bit is that the special edition added more content, basicaly making a sandbox that is bulging instead of fixing the main problem.

What is it with devs doing things like this and then saying "well we expected to much, better try to reboot it to see if we can squeeze this rock dry" instead of making a quality product like DMC5?

Rose Winters

kiwifarms.net
That too, but it’s easy to take potshots at 2013, including things that can be interpreted as such.
yes, because the game is only remembered for the memes, cringe writing and being a prime example of how not to reboot a franchise

that's what I'm here for

The thing that put Capcom into that position to begin with is that they expected DMC4 to sell twice as much because it also would be on the 360 while having the budged basicaly cut to the point where they almost had to scrap half the game.
Most people did not even finish the Dante playtrough because of it while he had the most to offer.
Those dice puzzles? trying to stretch the game.
Dante obtaining weapons that had nothing to do with the boss? Yeah.
Him fighting alost exactly the same bosses as nero? boring.
The funny bit is that the special edition added more content, basicaly making a sandbox that is bulging instead of fixing the main problem.

What is it with devs doing things like this and then saying "well we expected to much, better try to reboot it to see if we can squeeze this rock dry" instead of making a quality product like DMC5?
that and they were targeting younger demographic. Even Itsuno thought Dante was getting too old, so gamers wouldn't be interested playing as him. Nero wasn't received all that well initially, people were literally asking for more Dante, and Capcom decided he's no longer cool enough.
It's an interesting case because I don't believe we would have got DMC5 at all if not for DmC backlash...

Last edited:

Rotollo

"Consider Euthanasia!"
kiwifarms.net
Ironically enough the main problem with DmC was how dated it feels nowadays in 2010s culture. Shit like Bob Barbas feels like teenager watched the daily show and decided to make a shitty fan fic on Dante fighting Fox News. Because at the end of the day all that games story is a shitty rip off of They lived. The original games weren't highbrow or anything but 3 had a good one and at least the original series didn't say it was "Shakespearian" or whatever the fuck.
Tho for gameplay it says something that fan mods fixed Ninja theory's design so good that's more or less what the special edition for DmC was
Its weird but keep in mind Inafune's autistic push for outsourcing and it all comes together, he probably just viewed it as a way he can justify making a big series do the same thing as that shitty bionic commando reboot.
And yet this game will still be remembered more than DMC 2.
DmC and DMC 2 are treated the same by the dev team, they used the ideas that had promise and made them better in the next game, like trickster was making wall running and the dodge button from DMC 2 work with the other styles. DMC 5 took the dynamic music and made that energize the battles or gave some of Donte's more prickly aspects and applied them to Nero (which works better IMO for his character) while discarding all the cringey shit that DmC tried and failed to do.

Last edited:

Coldgrip

Still not Cody.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ironically enough the main problem with DmC was how dated it feels nowadays in 2010s culture. Shit like Bob Barbas feels like teenager watched the daily show and decided to make a shitty fan fic on Dante fighting Fox News. Because at the end of the day all that games story is a shitty rip off of They lived. The original games weren't highbrow or anything but 3 had a good one and at least the original series didn't say it was "Shakespearian" or whatever the fuck.
Which becomes super cringy considering by the time that game came out, O' Rielly had already nearly fallen from the public view. So most people didn't even remember, let alone know who it was a parody/caricature of.

The original games were just about being a cool demon hunter hunting demons. Why doesn't Dante have to reload his guns? He's too damn cool for that shit.

knightlautrec

Keh heh heh heh…
kiwifarms.net
Unpopular opinion - I actually like this game in a guilty pleasure sort of way. And I enjoyed the combat variety coupled with the world building of how demons interact with reality. Felt very WoD in some respects. But see, I know it's trash and I ain't gonna spend 3k words trying to defend it.

Journalist trying to push it as a 'hidden genius that didn't get a shot' is pretty funny. Strike while that iron is cold as fuck clearly. It's been seven years. Let it go.

Rose Winters

kiwifarms.net
remember when Ninja Theory called Trish and Lady "prostitutes with guns"?

Meanwhile DmC had this

also a female journo got mad at the director for not being woke enough

wp_ss_20201222_0004 (2).png

Last edited:
The original games were just about being a cool demon hunter hunting demons. Why doesn't Dante have to reload his guns? He's too damn cool for that shit.
So what I’m hearing is that Ninja Theory overthought the DMC series. And the main series is more than the demon hunting, namely it’s all about the fallout of Sparda rebelling against Mundus as well as the beef between Dante and Vergil. And while it was pretty poorly done, 2013 made an attempt to set that latter tenet up and do it in a different way from the main series, leading to the reboot having its own thing driving the story. The other part is that Dante in the main series also had his emotional beats to go alone with his wacky wahoo pizza antics that you could get some decent mileage out of if you wanna play it for drama, even if there isn’t that much in that deck of cards (and you could even make some of that same character argument for Nero).

Rose Winters

kiwifarms.net
So what I’m hearing is that Ninja Theory overthought the DMC series. And the main series is more than the demon hunting, namely it’s all about the fallout of Sparda rebelling against Mundus as well as the beef between Dante and Vergil. And while it was pretty poorly done, 2013 made an attempt to set that latter tenet up and do it in a different way from the main series, leading to the reboot having its own thing driving the story. The other part is that Dante in the main series also had his emotional beats to go alone with his wacky wahoo pizza antics that you could get some decent mileage out of if you wanna play it for drama, even if there isn’t that much in that deck of cards (and you could even make some of that same character argument for Nero).
Because nobody fucking asked for the motherfucking reboot in the first place, especially not from a studio who had nothing but hate for the characters and the fan base.
We loved wacky Dante, DMC5 brought Dante back. And you have your DmC shit, not sure why you have to come here to dmc-splain when you're not a fan of the franchise.

Because nobody fucking asked for the motherfucking reboot in the first place, especially not from a studio who had nothing but hate for the characters and the fan base.
We loved wacky Dante, DMC5 brought Dante back. And you have your DmC shit, not sure why you have to come here to dmc-splain when you're not a fan of the franchise.
If this is aimed at me, I know why 2013 is hated. And I consider the series to be pretty interesting.

Slimy Time

New president, new Wu flu
kiwifarms.net
And yet this game will still be remembered more than DMC 2.
No one wants to remember DMC2, it was bad. Had some nice ideas plot and design wise with two characters, two storylines and some of the enemy designs, but the combat was ass. Apparently people complained about guns doing no damage so they cranked up the knock back and allowed it to juggle, so you could literally win the game just by shooting.

Ngl, if Capcom did a DMC2 remake with all the stuff we love about DMC now, I would get that in an instant. I always loved how you could Majin devil trigger if shit got bad, which they ended up putting into 5 as Sin DT.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Whaddya mean booze ain't food?!
kiwifarms.net
No one wants to remember DMC2, it was bad. Had some nice ideas plot and design wise with two characters, two storylines and some of the enemy designs, but the combat was ass. Apparently people complained about guns doing no damage so they cranked up the knock back and allowed it to juggle, so you could literally win the game just by shooting.
Literally the only improvement they made to the combat was the fact that guns could now maintain combos, something they kept in the sequels. Everything else though was garbage. One of the things I really hated was how combos were tied to moving the analog stick while you hit the attack button. It felt clunky and for the first few levels I had no idea why I was performing different combos despite pause combos not being a thing.

Ngl, if Capcom did a DMC2 remake with all the stuff we love about DMC now, I would get that in an instant.
I'd buy it just so it could rewrite the weirdly serious Dante into the classic Dante we all know and love. Plus it'd be sweet to hear Reuben Langdon say the one cool thing Dante says in the whole game ("King? Then here's your crown.")