“DmC: Devil May Cry Has Survived the Backlash & Aged Better Than Many of Its Contemporaries” - The Escapist is still shit even with Moviebob fired

• DDoS is active again.

Slimy Time

Long and lanky.
kiwifarms.net
I'd buy it just so it could rewrite the weirdly serious Dante into the classic Dante we all know and love. Plus it'd be sweet to hear Reuben Langdon say the one cool thing Dante says in the whole game ("King? Then here's your crown.")
It sits at this weird place storywise after the Mundus castle but before meeting Nero. I would like for them to not pretend Lucia doesn't exist. Make some revamped gameplay for her, put some actual Devil Arms in for Dante, throw in Trish and Lady who are missing from DMC5:SE. There are some good ideas there that are not gameplay related. That boss from made from a building that appeared in the trailer. That Nero Angelo replacement with the two wolves that could make for some obvious boss combo attacks. Basically make a new game entirely but set with the DMC2 story which explains it a bit better, along with Dante escaping hell at the end.

Hot Dawg

Hot dog?
kiwifarms.net
Lady was perfect as she was. A tough, sort of hateful devil hunter. Her role in 3 wasn't sexualized but made her into someone misguided and blinded by anger. Anger that was manupliated by her father to open the final door.

Half baked political commentary wouldn't have saved the franchise. In their sincerity, they lost that wacky, over the top spark that made the old games fun. I am glad that it failed and that we got the chance to see Dante and the old Canon returned to its rightful place at the forefront of the series. If the reboot was named anything else it probably would have went over better.

I unironically love Capcom as a creative company. They have or had the creative spark that made my favorite games like Megaman X and DMC3. Trying to emulate popular trends to create garbage like Call of Duty numbers was never in their cards.

Last edited:

Slimy Time

Long and lanky.
kiwifarms.net
Lady was perfect as she was. A tough, sort of hateful devil hunter. Her role in 3 wasn't sexualized but made her into someone misguided and blinded by anger. Anger that was manupliated by her father to open the final door.

Half baked political commentary wouldn't have saved the franchise. In their sincerity, they lost that wacky, over the top spark that made the old games fun. I am glad that it failed and that we got the chance to see Dante and the old Canon returned to its rightful place at the forefront of the series. If the reboot was named anything else it probably would have went over better.

I unironically love Capcom as a creative company. They have or had the creative spark that made my favorite games like Megaman X and DMC3. Trying to emulate popular trends to create garbage like Call of Duty numbers was never in their cards.
Nah man, they are just prostitutes with guns, DmC needs a real woman who sprays graffiti with squirrel semen and ends up being held hostage and relying on Dante to save her. I like how the two prominent female characters in DmC, Lilith and Kat are both held hostage and traded like chess pieces, with one getting a sniper rifle abortion. Those are real women, not like those whores with weapons.

Also, that part about her being manipulated by her father made me remember how much of an asshole Dante is in 3.
"You murdered my father"
"Wahoo, can't touch me, sorry did you say something, I'm trying to look stylish"

Hot Dawg

Hot dog?
kiwifarms.net
Nah man, they are just prostitutes with guns, DmC needs a real woman who sprays graffiti with squirrel semen and ends up being held hostage and relying on Dante to save her. I like how the two prominent female characters in DmC, Lilith and Kat are both held hostage and traded like chess pieces, with one getting a sniper rifle abortion. Those are real women, not like those whores with weapons.

Also, that part about her being manipulated by her father made me remember how much of an asshole Dante is in 3.
"You murdered my father"
"Wahoo, can't touch me, sorry did you say something, I'm trying to look stylish"
Yeah man, why treat women like human beings instead of objects that give birth and are nothing else?

Dante had an actual character arc and became more as 3 progressed. Until he finally realized that there was more to his journey in the end beyond petty revenge. Can't say the same for Donte and his lame story with his fedora tipping brother.

As an aside, am I the only one that was more excited to see Capcom characters in MvC than Marvel? Strider and Mega Man were always my mains.

elzaw

kiwifarms.net
If this is aimed at me, I know why 2013 is hated. And I consider the series to be pretty interesting.
Well, you did you say you weren't familiar with the franchise until 5, so pardon me for assuming but I already had this conversation several times before. DmC isn't something that's just "cool to hate on the Internet", fans had all the right to be pissed at Capcom for mishandling the franchise. The way game journos treated DMC fanbase as some kind of misogynistic boogeyman still irritates me to this day because women have always been a big part of the franchise and Dante is probably the biggest "all women are queens" guy in gaming I can think of.

"But DMC2 was bad"
- well duh, it's a known fact Itsuno hates it more than any of us because he was inexperienced and didn't know wtf to do. But he did redeem himself by making arguably the best game in series, so we respect Itsuno. DMC2 at least felt like a DMC game even with all its technical flaws and sad Dante. Not to mention Lucia, the most underrated girl in the series. Yet nothing about DMC2 excuses DmC's flaws and the director being a god-fucking-moron and an asshole to fans. The general consensus among the fanbase is that it's an alright game on its own but as a DMC game it's not good and too casual friendly. Although Vergil's Downfail was arguably the closest thing to DMC...

But the point is none of this really matters anymore. DmC is done, NT moved on to other things, Capcom's doing fine and we got DMC5. If Itsuno still wants to make DmC2, let him. Maybe it will redeem itself, but considering Ninja Theory doesn't want anything to do with it anymore and Capcom would rather invest in DMC6, I think it's safe to assume El Donte's demon hunting career is over.
I don't hate it anymore. Hell, I even glad it exists. I think it's a fascinating trainwreck. But I'll still be taking potshots at it because it's easy and because I can.

Raiken

Making Nanomachines great again
kiwifarms.net
"But DMC2 was bad"
- well duh, it's a known fact Itsuno hates it more than any of us because he was inexperienced and didn't know wtf to do. But he did redeem himself by making arguably the best game in series, so we respect Itsuno.
Itsuno was broght in near the end of the dev cycle after the original director left. It's to this day a mystery who it was.
What little he did to dmc2 to corse correct it may have saved it from being even more of a turd, we may never know, but the entire ordeal has powerd him to not forever be labeled "the guy who killed dmc with dmc2".