Do not buy Torchlight 3. - Mad At The Torchlight franchise.

Catgirl IRL

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was originally going to post about how increasing the difficulty has a completely neglible effect on loot - with zero alteration to gold and resource gain - and leave it there, such is the shittiness of this thing as an ARPG, but fuck it I'm mad about wasting £30 on this fucking firepit.

Let's start off simple. Remember how in the original two games there was a sense of story progression and side quests? Regardless of how shallow they actually were, we got a glimpse into the world and some context for our actions. The Alchemist is evil and trying to eat Gods for their power, so we have to run around chasing him and cleaning up the mess. This lady has gone missing so venture into an optional spider nest to find her, etc.

In the third game there is a story, of sorts, but it is delivered so poorly youd be forgiven for missing it entirely. There's a traitor in the camp - so go and collect item parts from a cave, now from a goblin village, now
...what? This has nothing to do with a traitor. Why does finding a lost scholar suddenly require me to kill a specific bug on the other side of the continent? Why does a quest to find proof of an evil God's existence fizzle out with zero conclusion? Nobody expects a quality story from ARPGS, but they're at least a carrot - Torchlight 2's plot gave a sense of momentum, Diablo 3 had fun character interactions and a vein of humour, 40k Inquisitor gave you a surprising amount of agency within the story. There is nothing to Torchlight 3; you have one path through it, zero deviations and no side quests whatsoever.

The skills are awful. You pick an elemental themed relic as a third skill tree - fantastic, this brings diversity! But no fuck you, literally every single ability in the game has its damage type determined by your weapon. Don't have a poison gun drop for ten levels? Eat shit, your poison relic is now effectively useless as you cannot make use of its passives or synergies. A whole third of your character redundant unless the RNG is helpful.

Sound design is the worst I've ever experienced. My mage's teleport is almost certainly using the stock sound effect for farts in South Park, and even with all the audio bugs discounted there's no sense of cohesion or thought put into things. Let's take "explosive end" enemies: in Diablo there would be a loud swirling noise as the explosion builds, in Remnant you clearly hear a rocket launcher being loaded and cooked off even if you can't see it, the Division's suicide bombers have unrealistically loud footsteps and shout when moving. In T3 these enemies are completely silent, and when the tiny explosion indicator is buried in a hundred spell effects there is no warning of lethal damage until you're dead. No audio warnings whatsoever, and not just for potentially deadly attacks - it's almost like someone forgot to put half the sounds in.

Loot. It's shit, the hardest difficulty gives no bonuses to experience gain or gold, and the pathetic 20% bonus on item drops is completely outdone by everything having six times the health. There is literally no point increasing the difficulty.

Game is shit. Do not buy. Replay the original.

It's HK-47

Meatbag's Bounty of Bodies
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's probably worth mentioning that most of the problems stem from the fact that Torchlight 3 was originally going to be a F2P, MMO-like game called Torchlight: Frontiers, and somewhere during development they decided to axe out the F2P models and microtransactions and try to make it more like a 'traditional' Torchlight game. I can only assume that went poorly, because generally speaking, taking a hatchet to your game halfway through the project and trying to cobble it back together again doesn't pan out very well.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
It's probably worth mentioning that most of the problems stem from the fact that Torchlight 3 was originally going to be a F2P, MMO-like game called Torchlight: Frontiers, and somewhere during development they decided to axe out the F2P models and microtransactions and try to make it more like a 'traditional' Torchlight game. I can only assume that went poorly, because generally speaking, taking a hatchet to your game halfway through the project and trying to cobble it back together again doesn't pan out very well.
"Hey guys, let's take this fetal alcohol stillbirth and carry it to term anyway! It'll make fucking gangbusters!" - some 'tard in marketing, probably.

SSF2T Old User

Empresses Of Justice
kiwifarms.net
Why are games so awful these days?
Multiple reasons:
  • Short/Rushed deadlines, meaning less time to work on the game. Basically stuff that would have made the game more fulfilling get's cut out. This also includes skipping out on time for bug testing.
  • Lack Of Ideas: Some companies would rather just do a quick crash grab, so they take something popular and either "reboot/remake" it, or give it a prequel that fucks continuity or sequel that the latest game never set up in the end for one (also fucking continuity)
  • Pure Greed: See every triple A game that has microtransactions up the ass or a "roadmap" of sorts, or "season passes".
  • Pandering To The Lowest Common Denominator: I.E. making both the art and the gameplay so safe and stale as to not "offend" anyone.
  • Political Injection: Pretty self explanatory... SJW leftist horseshit that gets force-fed into people whether they want it or not.

Developers emphasizing story line, voice acting, and cut scenes over game play.
This mostly applies to anything people like Kojima or David Cage makes. It's pretty clear they would rather make a movie than a video game, but for some reason don't.

Kane Lives

Peace through power
kiwifarms.net
This mostly applies to anything people like Kojima or David Cage makes. It's pretty clear they would rather make a movie than a video game, but for some reason don't.
In the case of the latter, he couldn't hack it in Hollywood. In the case of the former, he's just insane and uses games as a medium of expression. Chris Roberts, incidentally, falls into the David Cage territory.

Ponchik

the experiment didn't work
kiwifarms.net
generally speaking, taking a hatchet to your game halfway through the project and trying to cobble it back together again doesn't pan out very well.
case in point: sims 4 started development in 2008 as a sims online successor under the codename "olympus"... before simcity 2013 crashed and burned so horrendously, that ea spent a year and a half taking the work they had done on olympus, and turning it into an even more half-baked single player game. over six years later sims 4 still sucks ass and ea's braindead ceo andrew wilson said some dumb shit about sims 5 being online, so in the end absolutely nothing was learned

ducktales4gameboy

ratatouille is people
kiwifarms.net
Multiple reasons:

One to add to this is the necessity for bing-bing-wahoo style reinforcement loops that give you the illusion of having made a lot of progress in the first couple hours so there's a feeling of abandonment/sunken cost if you stop playing. A lot of players just fuck off if they die and lose progress because they did something stupid, doubly so if it's a corner they painted themselves into without realizing it and the error is deeply compounded into their savefiles. Apply this to a game like frostpunk or darkest dungeon and you get people losing the game after an hour and getting confronted with the idea that they lost specifically because they themselves made a dumb decision and a lot just refund the game on steam rather than try again,

If you think this is an exaggeration check out the steam reviews for either of those two games or anything similar that's punishing or requires real thought on the player's part in order to progress (eg. any Zachtronics game) and you'll find a wall of bitching about the game being too hard or not rewarding enough. It's gotten to be so bad that people are bitching about roguelikes without 'permanent progression' exp unlocks like Noita being bad because they hate the feeling of not having made progress.

Last edited:

Groundbreaking-maize

kiwifarms.net
Considering my only exposure to the torchlight series was the first one that played like a bargain basement diablo clone, I really wasn't going to OP.

The Un-Clit

After the Dimensional Merge, pussy eats YOU!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

It's a crying shame because both Torchlight and TL2 were exceptionally fun games. TL1 a more light take on the Diablo-roguealike games with logical upgrades and abilites without getting too complex and reducing to minmaxing.

TL2 let me have a ferret for my pet, nuff said. ;)

It's a shame TL3 is a dog, but the fact that it completely pivoted it's model halfway through development would explain it for sure, and also makes sense why I didn't even know TL3 was out, the people who would normally trumpet it to the hills doubtless shunned it and it got no word of mouth from anywhere else either.