Do rats (or mice) really like cheese? -

I have chore of killing rats. I have not pet rat living in ceiling. I do not want to latter have to hunt down dead rat smell. I buy rat killing machine for store. I was disappointed none of the machines were marketed as "humane" or "instant-kill". I can't have the rat continue to spread disease and poop on my desk and work area, so it must be an execution. I am conflicted that this concern was not provided for at the store where I bought the rat killing machine.

I have bait the machine with cheese. Do rats actually like cheese or this another one of Walt Gisney lies?

Disheveled Human

Some people say I eat too many chocolate bars
kiwifarms.net
I have chore of killing rats. I have not pet rat living in ceiling. I do not want to latter have to hunt down dead rat smell. I buy rat killing machine for store. I was disappointed none of the machines were marketed as "humane" or "instant-kill". I can't have the rat continue to spread disease and poop on my desk and work area, so it must be an execution. I am conflicted that this concern was not provided for at the store where I bought the rat killing machine.

I have bait the machine with cheese. Do rats actually like cheese or this another one of Walt Gisney lies?
if you do not like them and do not care about "Humane" use glue traps baited with peanut butter.

Solid Snek

kiwifarms.net
if you do not like them and do not care about "Humane" use glue traps baited with peanut butter.

Rats can get out of glue traps by gnawing their legs off. If there's a lot of rats, I'd recommend a plank-style rat trap, or just a classic snap-trap setup (with a few modifications) for smaller infestations.

naaaaiiiiillllll!!!

Null thought I was British, lol
kiwifarms.net
From what I understand, if rats are hungry enough, they'll eat almost anything, but peanut butter is a WAY better mouse/rat bait than anything else (something about the smell and sugar content? IDK). Anyway, creamy peanut butter smeared generously does the trick.

Seconding the plank-style rat trap over a bucket of water: it's the most efficient/escape proof. Many of the insta-kill traps require them to enter small enclosed spaces and many rodents wise up to them.

Dysnomia

Is Reimu gonna have to smack a bitch?
kiwifarms.net
I've had pet rats and mice and never really gave them cheese. Well save for once when 14 year old me thought it was a good idea to give a rat cheese from a chicken fajita Hot Pocket (bring them back you Nazis!). He certainly liked it. But whether he did because it was food or because he loved cheese I will not know until I see him in Heaven.🤗

1617849500478.png

Nice viewer art

Weed Eater

Why yes I DO smoke marijuana; it's goooood stuff!
kiwifarms.net
Srs: Use peanut butter, there are other replies that have said it better than me. The guy from Mousetrap Mondays is amazing for rodent-killing info.

@Dysnomia Cheese was a good once in a while treat for my rats, yogurt was usually a better dairy product they could handle. Not all cheeses are the same too, so there are some you cannot give your rat. I miss my girls...

FruitFighter

angry biological entity
kiwifarms.net
Rodents love fatty food like cheese and it will definitely attract them, though perhaps not as much as peanut butter.

As far as humanely killing them goes, if you have a ton of rats you really don't have a lot of options that are "nice".

Sofonda Cox

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rather than tormenting individual rats, figure out what is drawing them to your hellhole, and eradicate that. Otherwise, rats will continue to the visit the property.

Don't bait your property with comfortable hides and easy access food.

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rather than tormenting individual rats, figure out what is drawing them to your hellhole, and eradicate that. Otherwise, rats will continue to the visit the property.

Don't bait your property with comfortable hides and easy access food.
Sometimes rodent infestations are caused by poor hygiene and can be solved by storing and disposing of your food properly, but sometimes they're unavoidable either because other people's shit is drawing them in and there's nothing you can do about it, or some years there's an explosion in their population for whatever reason and they're just everywhere. That also depends on your geographical area, and warmer areas have it worse. In those cases there's not much you can do to stop them from getting into your house.

Sofonda Cox

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes rodent infestations are caused by poor hygiene and can be solved by storing and disposing of your food properly, but sometimes they're unavoidable either because other people's shit is drawing them in and there's nothing you can do about it, or some years there's an explosion in their population for whatever reason and they're just everywhere. That also depends on your geographical area, and warmer areas have it worse. In those cases there's not much you can do to stop them from getting into your house.
I've worked in many hoards over the years, and these are the excuses they usually offer.

Taking responsibility for the condition of your living space is the best treatment for infestation. If there is no reason to target your home, rats will find preferable places to take up residence. Rats are quite pragmatic - if the environs aren't hospitable, they will leave. Trapping can be done humanely, but will only be effective as part of a process. Killing individual rats is not only horrible, but also ineffective, and if the corpses aren't handled and disposed of properly, you can find yourself with much more serious problems.

Fix your property. After that is complete, humane trap and relocate any who linger about. When they are gone, disinfect anything they may have touched using sterling hygiene practices.