Do you feel poorer now then when your parents were your age? -

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.
When I was a child I wanted to be a different child. As an adult, I want nothing.

I notice that there are things I worry about now, which my parents never worried about. Like every day things. I think my parents probably grew up richer then I grew up being raised by them because when I was kid they never knew to be concerned about money or keeping up with house stuff. Of course they'd freak out when things were bad, but they didn't know things could be bad. I think that in the US people have gotten much poorer over the past 50 years. 50 years ago, I wouldn't be worrying about crappy old shews, not having money for food, or how completely nu-served I am living in the US.

I had this strange experience at the bank once. I was talking with a teller. It came up that she thought it was strange that I keep a good float in my account. She expressed that's it was hard to keep hold of any money. I tried to answer the question by saying I was just frugal. But latter thinking about it, I realised there's nothing I want to buy and there's nothing that I've seen a in a long time that's been marketed to me. When I do see something marketed to me, which happens rarely, I would never want what's being sold. It's very easy to have cash when no one wants you in the economy.

Do you feel poorer now then when your parents were your age?

Troon detected.
No. I wanted to be Tom Swift. Not like playing dress-up. I wanted to be a boy inventor and go on adventures. In reality I was my parent's living Tamagotchi that only got turned on when they wanted accessorize with when showing off the family. There were maybe a few other characters like that which I wanted to be. It's not a gender or sex thing.
When I was a child I wanted to be a different child.
Most kids think about what they become when they grow up, I always just wanted to escape to be living a different life as a kid. This has nothing to do with realising I'm much poorer then my parents must have been when they were growing up.

White Devil

Well I may be a monster, but you're gay.
kiwifarms.net
Our money is literally worth less than it was when our parents were our age, there is no doubt that we're poorer and have to work harder to have not as much as they had. When I used to ride around with my dad, he used to love to point at classic cars we'd see and go on about how they cost only $2,000 in his day, etc. It gets super fucking annoying and really opens a generational rift (which people take to stupid extremes on the internet).

Personally, I think it's only going to get worse and our children will have it worse than us economically, as well as socially with all this insane gender and sexual orientation going on now.

Jabroni

King of Jerky
kiwifarms.net
Both my parents ran successful businesses and also had high paying jobs, Though I suppose since im relatively young making good money I’d be making similar amounts

Carlos Weston Chantor

Experienced For Barb's Pleasure
kiwifarms.net
Not really. I'm making much more money than they were at my age plus they are normie wagies dependent on "bosses", while I am my own Big Boss

I don't really care about money though and self-reliance is much more important to me than consuming, I would rather live in a shack in the woods and sustain on the squirrels I catch than go and have a corporate career

furūtsu

Quality Winx Content Appreciator
kiwifarms.net
I'm currently an early 20-something, in current year. So uh, lol.

At the risk of sounding pretentious-they did better at this age financially, but I'm doing far better spiritually. I'm not trapped in a collapsing marriage with an abusive alcoholic narc and two kids. I'm poor but at least I'm sane and enjoying my youth (relative to how they "enjoyed" theirs, anyway). They're both hyper-materialistic in order to, I suspect, attempt to recoup the losses they've felt from wasting their younger years on an incredibly toxic relationship that involved hefty amounts of violence, cheating, addiction etc.

And not to sound ~euphoric~ but I have far greater self-awareness, empathy and a capacity for introspection than they ever did. I may end up being a poorer parent, but I won't be a bad one.

The only thing I really look up to my parents for, is my Dad's awesome job running his business with my Granddad. He taught me to aspire to be a business owner and not a corpo slave.

In reality I was my parent's living Tamagotchi that only got turned on when they wanted accessorize with when showing off the family.
Felt this hard. Sorry you had to go through this, brother. :heart-full:

Fek

What could possibly go wrong?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Poorer..monetarily? Probably.
Poorer spiritually? If only because I'm not as blissfully ignorant as they are.
Poorer-off from a societal standpoint? Lmao.
:suffering:

I had this strange experience at the bank once. I was talking with a teller. It came up that she thought it was strange that I keep a good float in my account. She expressed that's it was hard to keep hold of any money. I tried to answer the question by saying I was just frugal. But latter thinking about it, I realised there's nothing I want to buy and there's nothing that I've seen a in a long time that's been marketed to me. When I do see something marketed to me, which happens rarely, I would never want what's being sold. It's very easy to have cash when no one wants you in the economy.
I'm not sure this coincides with the question you're asking. Not having anything you want to buy and instead saving your money doesn't inherently mean you're poorer for it. That just seems strange to me.

Either way, all that money you're saving will help when you need it for a couple loaves of bread once inflation catches up..hey-o

Last edited:

Danny

kiwifarms.net
Not at all.
When my folks were my age I thought we were the poorest people around as nothing fancy or new was ever purchased and only the most basic least expensive necessities bought. My senior year of college my dad died at the age of 46, I was 23. Only then did I learn of the family trust that I wouldn't see until 25 without my father passing.
Since then the family farm size has doubled and the trust nearly tripled. Looking back my father could have done anything he wanted and traveled the world and still the trust would have grown. His death drove me to work hard to leave a legacy as well and that there's no time to waste.
What was just a row crop farm I've added acres to and branched out into dirt work tiling and terracing fields, a trucking authority, and selling seed. Any one of the businesses would easily sustain a family and yet I feel like there's more to do, more to grow.

Lemmingwise

In the tenth month, the dreadful horrors arise
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My parents had to go to the outhouse outside to shit and travel to a bathhouse to get a shower. It's easy to forget the many blessings. Who cares if there's no community, cohesion or sanity? We've got the internet to watch cats and deathfats.

knobslobbin

survivorship bias
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You poors and your small-minded thinking. Adorbs

edit: have you or your parents tried not being poorfags?

nigger of the north

kiwifarms.net
Doing way better. My mother was, and still is, horrendous with money. I got turbofucked by proxy since I grew up under her, and it took a long ass time to unlearn those destructive 'spend it while you have it' habits and mentality.

My sister on the other hand is not only wealthier, but also doing infinitely better than basically all of her friends and anyone in our family. I'll be lucky if my peak career earnings match what she makes currently.

ZeCommissar

This paper contains all the reasons you're a fag
kiwifarms.net
Well my mom married a man from a upper-middle class family that's the father of my half-sisters while being a stay at home mom. He was a cop however and pulled a 40% on her causing her to leave him. She was a stay at home mom due to his wealth so im not too sure how much of her own money she had. I do know she got significantly poorer after the divorce and left my sisters with him so they could live a better life despite the abuse. Im doing pretty well for myself and i'm stable with no kids of my own so idk.

My dad was in prison at my age so....what do you think? He however did turn his life around before meeting my mom and luckily didn't turn out like most men in the prison system.

We were never rich, we did struggle a lot for awhile when I was a little kid but things got better as I got older. They now own their own property which is a massive farcry from what we had when I was 5. I'm more educated than my parents but it was a massive mistake for younger me to assume their intelligence.

They made bad decisions when they were younger, but they did everything they can to give me a decent life. Could they have done better? Sure but compared to my peers in the South I think I got off pretty well.

haurchefant

a smile better suits a hero
kiwifarms.net
I am probably better off than my parents. When my folks were my age they had a kid to provide for on two working class salaries. Neither of my parents ever earned enough money to do a "dad works/SAHM" thing. They were together before the feminism stuff kicked off for the boomer generation and both of their lives have been consumed by constant toil.

However they were intelligent with their money and taught me to be frugal and not a dumbass. They have ended up doing well and I have also made out well thanks to what they taught me.

Cool Dog

No longer a dog, still cool
kiwifarms.net
My parents were born in a country that was among the 10 richest and now its so third world I would be doing better in mexico

What do you think?