Do you like listening to music that's in a language you don't speak? -

LagoonaBlue

Harriet Louise Connor (No bully; have Autism)
Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
North Korean music is one of my guilty pleasures and has been for a while. I know the lyrics to a LOT of the songs that come out of that country are propaganda, but look past that and you have some lovely melodies.

Here's two with melodies I genuinely think are lovely. The second song has translated subtitles (turn on CC).

Here's a North Korean cover of "Brother Louie".

Reactions: Thiletonomics

Hatoful Dandy

Minstrel of Sorrow
kiwifarms.net
Of course, most of them through anime, foreign movies and videogames

This one I first heard back in the mid 90's since it was used as the opening for a K-1 kickboxing game

One of the best motivational songs you'll hear

The opening for the HK movie "A Man Called Hero"

• Agree
Reactions: BeanBidan

Positron

Wild Blue Candor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you are in the mood for a litte Allah Hoo to commemorate the date, the infectious enthusiasm of Rizwan-Muazzam Qawwali can't be bettered.

Last edited:

BeanBidan

Welcome to Silent Hill faggots.
kiwifarms.net
For old Jazz I usually listen to Yuropoors.
But i'm a yuge fag for Japanese City Pop and punk.

Positron

Wild Blue Candor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Psarantonis is a singer and lute player from Cretes. He is very well regarded in Greek and aboard and has a lot of CD releases. Unfortunately I only managed to get hold of one.

chunkygoth

*blink*
kiwifarms.net
I went through a bad breakup a few weeks ago and since then I have started getting into j-rock. Most of my english songs were either about love or being sad about love. So I started listening to J-rock because I don't understand what the heck the song is about. Also, it's good.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
Probably no real surprise that I listen to J-pop and J-rock 'cause that's one part of my weeb stage I haven't broke because the music's actually not all that bad. But more often than not, I prefer listening to soundtracks to my favorite (or even not-so-favorite) anime. I also still have a soft spot for character image songs since listening to the Digimon soundtrack in high school kept me further motivated for two years of Japanese. Singing the songs are honestly the only times I ever "speak" Japanese anymore.

About a couple of years ago, though, I found myself looking up Japanese covers (or versions, anyway) of English songs 'cause I was just curious as to how it was done to reach a wider foreign audience. It's quite fascinating given Western music has a different tone to Eastern music (and the songs are written as such), so though it sounds a little weird, I'm honestly impressed they can make it work. Currently, after a good few years of knowing about it but never coming across it 'til now, I'm listening to the original Japanese cast of Phantom of the Opera. It's really surreal, but I love it.

Partially because as a Mewtwo fan I'm listening to it for Masachika Ichimura (who is just heavenly as the Phantom, it's so hard for me to not fangirl over it), but Ryoko Nomura as Christine is great. She's, dare I say, better than Sarah Brightman. There's other language recordings of PotO, but I haven't taken a listen to them yet. "Prima Donna" and "Il Muto" are fun to listen to in general, and hearing them in another language is pretty whimsical.

Have the playlist if you wanna take a further listen. It's sadly not as complete as the London recording, but I don't know if the official album's like that.

CephalopodEnthusiast

TFS Goku
kiwifarms.net
Yes:

German music - I'm a Rammstein fan

Japanese music - Vocaloid is one of my guilty pleasures

Korean music - Hangul is a pretty language. This is one of my favorites

Positron

Wild Blue Candor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sardinian polyphony is, of course, traditionally an exclusively male art form, but in the past 20 years or so a few women group has emerged. Actores Alidos is a group that adapt the male polyphonic style to women's songs, such as working songs, lullaby, and this devotional song:

"Tittia" ("So Cold") is gossip of village women in song form.

Winnie the Poohnani

Man has entered the forest.
kiwifarms.net
I can't help but be distracted by lyrics when they're in english, so when I'm reading I listen to either instrumental or something in another language.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan:

King Sunny Ade:

and the late, great Cesaria Evora, whose every recording is sublime:

Reactions: Positron

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
I listen to a lot of the French singer Zaz. She does big band jazz infused with a pop sensibility.

(goddamn the ruskies really know how to bootleg a concert)

frozenrunner

I could really use the salt
kiwifarms.net
I don't think I've ever heard anything by Susumu Hirasawa that I didn't love, and I have no idea what the fuck he's singing about.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino