• ”Elliot Rodger was right about many of these things but unfortunately never managed to understand the problem the way I did – had he been given a chance to do so he might still be alive.

Do you like listening to music that's in a language you don't speak?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Cosmos, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Soulgrind, "Pakana."

Entirely in Finnish. Google Translate tells me what the lyrics are but I think it loses something in translation. The first line of the chorus, "Suvi illan vieno tuuli huokaa vuorten alta," comes out as, "The sneaky wind of the evening sighs beneath the mountains." I don't speak Finnish but I don't think that's quite right.

Good band, Soulgrind. First heard them when some woman from their label thrust a sampler with it on into my hands while I was drunk at a fest in France. Listened to it when I got back home and thought it was rather nice.

Ginger Piglet

Ginger Piglet Fictional Manhunt Survivor
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  2. In her album Mirror of My Soul, Palestinian singer Rim Banna worked with Norwegian jazz musicians. Her voice has an "R&B-ish" quality that I'm not a fan of, and her penchant for politicizing is another minus. This said, the musicians were obviously having fun in that session.

Positron

Positron Krackpotkin
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  3. I don't listen to K-pop anymore but I will always love Epik High. Their music is rap and since Tablo is Canadian they sometimes do lyrics in English or provide subtitles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    thenakedhomeless

thenakedhomeless The Fat Trailer Park Queen
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  4. In terms of Hip-Hop, I usually don't listen to non-English rap.

For this, I will happily make an exception:

kiwifarms.net
  5. Alla Bua is a folk band from Selento, southern Italy. They imbue traditional tarantella music with the zest of modern rock.

The energetic fiddling and accordion makes me think of Celtic music; the call-and-response vocals especially bring to mind the Brittany folk-rock band Tri Yann:

• Informative Informative x 1
    #165 Positron, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Positron

Positron Krackpotkin
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  6. By any chance are you familiar with Alan Stivell? This might be your thing. First song's in Breton:

• Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  7. Urna Chahar-Tugchi (or simply Urna), a vocalist from inner Mongolia now based in Germany.

"My strong young brown stallion, dashing over grasslands and steppes. He never loses his way."

For something more masculine, there is the band Yat-Kha:

• Like Like x 1
    Positron

Positron Krackpotkin
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  8. "My lovely horse, running through a field..."

• Winner Winner x 1
    Ginger Piglet

Ginger Piglet Fictional Manhunt Survivor
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net

9. Kinda catchy.

ICameToplaY

ICameToplaY 世界一かわいい!

kiwifarms.net
  10. Obligatory reference, since FLCL is starting up again.

Give Her The D

Give Her The D All Might for President 2020
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  11. I'm really into The Hardkiss from Ukraine. Most of their songs I've heard are in English, but they have some in their mother tongue too:

I also like this South Korean ska band called Witches. Like most people outside Korea, I had first come across them thanks to this flash animation:

• Like Like x 1
    ShittyRecolor

ShittyRecolor Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself

kiwifarms.net
  12. I just like good tunes my dude. I don't care if it's in japanese, korean, german, french, or swahilli. If it sounds and feels good to me, i'll love it.

I have a huge soft spot for Tatsuro Yamashita because his music got me through some rough times, even though I couldn't understand his more popular songs — for example, Ride On Time.

However, not all of his songs are in his native language; he's actually done a lot of songs in english too, the best example being ... well, the entirety of the album Big Wave.

• Like Like x 1
    #172 gachacunt, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    gachacunt

gachacunt "isnt it too early for christmas?" fucka you

kiwifarms.net
  13. Yes. All the time. I'm an autistic chink weeb.

• Like Like x 1
    Zan

Zan

kiwifarms.net
  14. I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I am able to have a very basic conversation in Spanish and I know most of the bad words and "code words" for illicit activity. Which is why I fucking love narcocorredo music, despite being a gringo. Here are some of my favorites:

If you were in the right part of Texas they would play this stuff on the radio late at night. Back then the only people who understood what they were talking about were Mexicans because a lot of the slang was lost on people who spoke Spanish as a second language and what they were singing about wasn't always explicit. It's kinda funny because it sounds like what you would hear in your basic family-style TexMex restaurant, but they're singing about drugs and guns.

• Like Like x 1
    Commander Keen

Commander Keen in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!

kiwifarms.net

15. Here's a Nazi-era popular song. I also like Lale Andersen and Marlene Dietrich. German pop is fun.

Gus

Gus Interlocutor

kiwifarms.net
  16. I prefer Kraftwerk in German despite the fact that I can understand English. Is that weird?

Some finnish pop is really fantastic

And of course Japanese music, because let's be honest, the lyrics in metal barely matter lol

Desire Lines

Desire Lines folk musician, aspiring rapper
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  17. How about Kraftwerk in Japanese?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Positron

Positron Krackpotkin
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  18. Does ebonics count? Asking for a friend.

UnKillFill

UnKillFill Turkey, with pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes...

kiwifarms.net
  19. I don't have the translation of this song, but it is a good showcase of the vocal strength of Portuguese singer Mísia.

Positron

Positron Krackpotkin
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  20. I love me some 80's J-Pop.

CynicalGardevoir

CynicalGardevoir is not your waifu.

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.