Do you prefer wires? - Don't be a cordlet

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
usually wired, but I'm not above using wireless for convenience, like I have this touchpad/keyboard gizmo that looks like a shitty console MMO controller
not good for power using but fucking around on the tv's computer it works well

I often use wifi networking but I understand why it's awful for a lot of reasons when people depend on you to remain connected without drops.

OwO What's This?

𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
not counting living room setups:
always corded for keyboard, always wireless for my headphones so I can fire up a podcast or something and then go do house chores, and I kinda wrestle between wireless and wired for mice, there's upsides and downsides to each

wireless interference has become pretty common so I try to minimize the amount of wireless thingies that are enabled as much as possible

what I found has really helped for wireless headphones is getting a ~12-15 ft USB3 extension cable (any longer than that is gonna greatly diminish the power output) to put the dongle that transmits the signal up toward the ceiling, I got one that matched the paint on the wall and used staples along the corner. it REALLY helps with range, and it doesn't even crackle when I'm standing next to a running microwave anymore

• Agree
Reactions: 3119967d0c

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't like wireless.

Wireless means batteries and other crap like hacking and EMF.

Azshara

Point blank PERIOD.
kiwifarms.net
In general I prefer wired. Especially with stuff like mice, keyboards, etc. I had some Bluetooth earbuds but lost one of them so I'm back to wired. At least with wired headphones my dumbass won't lose one, that was a fuckin waste of money.

I do like wireless game controllers though. They're just easier to deal with.

annoyingfuck

kiwifarms.net
All wired (just redid all my cord setup on my desk) bar my fancy smancy 'walkman' with bluetooth around neck earphone thingy, which I use when in the vicinity of screaming kids, and I don't want to keep trying to hang myself in my hurry to get away.

Piss Clam

Squeeze me.
kiwifarms.net
My whole house is wired. I'm old school like that. I don't really truck with wireless. Yer gonna have to physically come to my home to tap me if you want to use a packet analyzer...sans my ISP.

I haven't really tried these out, but I was thinking about it. I'm a little leery about plugging shit into my electric sockets.

moocow

Moo.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My whole house is wired. I'm old school like that. I don't really truck with wireless. Yer gonna have to physically come to my home to tap me if you want to use a packet analyzer...sans my ISP.

I haven't really tried these out, but I was thinking about it. I'm a little leery about plugging shit into my electric sockets.

These things are a mixed bag. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't (it depends on your home's wiring). Most of the time the actual bandwidth/throughput you get with them (when they *do* work) sucks, even compared to wireless.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
I never had a mouse cable short out ever.
Everything else on a mouse will break before the cable does. I'm currently on my fourth replaced button and third replaced scroll wheel encoder but the cable is still going strong.
Not in my experience. The first optical IntelliMouse and some of the subsequent models had well publicized problems with the cable connection breaking, which was a shame because they were the best thing ever. The size of a guinea pig, buttons that clicked if the air pressure rose, the weight of cotton candy, it slid around the desk like if it was the puck on a air-hockey table. Just the best. Plus they didn't have that shitty "unisex" design for left handed people. Eventually I went wireless with Logitech and their design sucked, it looked like something that vibrates and goes up the butt.
logitechmouse.jpg

logitechmouse3.jpg

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
I use ancient, cheap logitech mice and never in my life did I break a wire. Regarding the topic I wouldn't wanna keep track of all the shit on my desk and it's respective battery status.

queerape

Gorilla gorilla goes Gorillaz
kiwifarms.net
Wireless headphones are helpful when I'm at the gym or walking as I don't have to worry about tangled cords everywhere. But, they are one more battery to worry about (headphones dying in the middle of my commute makes me want to break them in half), though to be fair mine have good enough battery life they can last a few days. I usually keep wired ones in case. Apple's exceptional decision to remove the aux port will be the reason my next phone will be an Android (fuck phone contracts). The audio sometimes breaks up, wired headphones give a smoother sound.

Wireless chargers though, are the biggest waste ever. You have to pry your phone off it's case, and it charges like 1% per hour. Meanwhile I plug my phone and tablet in and it's charged by like an hour if it's nearly fully depleted.

Reactions: Pissmaster

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much refuse to use wireless mice and headphones. Usually have controllers plugged into the USB port just because wireless feels weird. Feels too floaty. A wire gives a satisfying weight to controllers, I guess.

Only time I use wireless controllers is if I'm playing something like Katamari Forever, playing a console while in bed, or using an 8bitdo Famicom style controller to play stuff on my emulator box. The cord that came with that is plenty long enough if I plug it into my keyboard when I want to play Shovel Knight in style.

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

These things are a mixed bag. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't (it depends on your home's wiring). Most of the time the actual bandwidth/throughput you get with them (when they *do* work) sucks, even compared to wireless.
I've found they worked well at least in limited use. The ones I used were very stable, much better than wireless in that regard. From a few years back so not the fastest. I would suggest read around for a wide test of them if buying them. That model looks pretty dated. Not sure if 110/220V differences would bear on our different experiences with them, probably not.

Now, I will note that they will 'leak' to some extent onto other interconnected circuits (think other apartments in apartment building, possibly other houses on a street). I haven't tested this in practice myself, but it has always been the case with them. However, most now at least advertise some form of encryption to avoid this allowing monitoring, though how good that is even in theory I don't know, and I'm sure they haven't been robustly tested. Not a major concern but if you're really paranoid..

what I found has really helped for wireless headphones is getting a ~12-15 ft USB3 extension cable (any longer than that is gonna greatly diminish the power output) to put the dongle that transmits the signal up toward the ceiling, I got one that matched the paint on the wall and used staples along the corner. it REALLY helps with range, and it doesn't even crackle when I'm standing next to a running microwave anymore
Fun fact. Did you know that many USB3 and attached devices chipsets create interference with 2.4ghz signals?
https://usb.org/sites/default/files/327216.pdf
1580548167598.png

FUTURE GOOD

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I have a set of those (not that brand) that I got for my Steam Link and they were worthless in my home.

-Can't use them at all with surge protectors, so they hog a whole wall outlet
-Video quality constantly stayed at minimum because the signal strength was all over the place, never consistent
-I ended up having a better (still not ideal) experience with 5ghz Wifi

I guess a place with newer wiring might fare better, so if you buy a set, be prepared to return it just in case.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
You need these made from a good company and the wiring in your house needs to be just right for it. (read the sites of the manufacturers outlining this) In general it's not a bad idea and can work well, in practice the implementation is often poor or the usage scenario's wiring isn't ideal. Also be aware if you live in an apartment building that you could end up with other people on your LAN. Some of these encrypt and are configurable via software. If you trust the implementation of that is your choice. The best you can still do is laying down CAT cable, everything else is a compromise.

• Agree

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
I use 1$ wireless earbuds from china for my morning round, i just want some music while running and i dont wanna fight with the cable all the time.

The other wireless thing i use alot is my wavebird. the GC controller is the best controller, but the wave bird is even better, same build quality, but a bit heavier and the wireless works realy good.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
Everything I have is wired, headphones from sennheiser, wired KB+mouse, game controllers I use wired to my PC for emulators.

The only thing I do wireless is bluetooth audio in my car/truck. I dont have a high end luxury car, and the truck isnt from this century, so any sound difference between 3.5 and bluetooth is completely absent, and constantly unplugging, plugging audio cables has worn out many a cable/jack for me over the years. Bluetooth is way more convenient, and its hooked up anyway for hand free calling, so fuck it.

Tags
None