Do you think that internet censorship will be obsolete in the near future? -

Sicklick

kiwifarms.net
With companies like Microsoft, Google, Silicon Valley, Twitter, etc. shitting on free speech, now those people getting deplatformed are starting to fight back. In 2017 after Unite the Right, the Daily Stormer got pulled from GoDaddy, Google, Tucows, DreamHost, etc. until they found a host that'll stick in Feb. 2018. Stormfront also went down, but their users could still access the site through localhost. Eventually, Don Black won his lawsuit against Network Solutions who then put the site back up, and that was that.

But then came 2019 and that was when the shitstorm really blew over, but this time they went after the *chans. 8chan got kicked off their host following El Paso, so they tried the Daily Stormer approach at first, failed, so they had to improvise. As of currently, Ron is about to release Project Odin, which is a new Tor alternative that'll prevent DDOS attacks on the host level and he's currently working on a new DDOS prevention tool for his clearnet site.

You also have alternative platforms, like Gab and Bitchute. These have had limited success, but in 2018 after Pittsburgh, WrongThink, PewTube and Gab went down, with only Gab surviving the purge. Several other sites have cucked, like the Rootbocks/GoyFundMe guy who's now Antifa, or are dead like Vidme or are in the process of bending the knee to anti-racist organizations like Hope Not Hate, such as Bitchute.

As of right now, the left and corporations have been mostly successful at preventing the fringe right from staying online, but this small group of people fighting back against censorship have had their successes too. Like in 2017 during the Net Neutrality rulings when Ajit Pai told the Supreme Court point blank that Comcast has never censored content and that it was those same Big Tech oligarchs like Google that engaged in censorship who shilled for it, ironically enough, even mentioning the Daily Stormer by name. In 2018 you had the James Damore controversy and the FaceBook Cambridge-Analytica scandal, where Diamond and Silk testified in court about censorship on the platform. Eventually, Zuckerberg backtracked and allowed white nationalist content but not "white supremacist" content and bent the knee. Also that same year, Jared Taylor filed a lawsuit against Twitter for banning his account and won. And you had the YouTube headquarters shooting.

But as for 2020, if ICANN being handed over to an international body like the UN under the late Obama administration wasn't bad enough, you now have our new president Donald Trump trying to repeal Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which if successful, will put the final nail in the coffin for internet freedom as we know it. Even Joe Biden has endorsed this.

So despite all the pushing on both sides, it seems one side is going to win in the end. The struggle continues as of right now, but it's unclear who's gonna win.

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
Internet is hard to control so free speech won't ever be completely purged from it for those tech savvy enough but organized political discourse that is deemed undesireable is definitely in danger.

What really doesn't help is that every censored site/other you mentioned was a total shitshow.
Best thing politically minded "special cases" can do to remain not banned is to calm down and act presentable for once in their lives, if they just pretend to be well adjusted people the public will be more supportive to their voice, as is corpos really don't like political speech because its volatile and almost always a net negative for the platform, while the public stays silent out of second hand embarrassment.
Basically, stop being an obnoxious target and maybe people will look away from you and realize lefties are just as bad.

My bet is that both the left(by their parents) and the right(in their own heads) will get silenced on mainstream platforms at some point.

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I... don't think you know what you're talking about. As long as some speech is deemed undesirable by those with power, most of those with power will try to in some way marginalize or suppress it. Realizing this allows you to see the issue with the proper lense: "free speech" on the internet is just a SIGINT arms race bound by law. You need the tools to make your speech resilient, and the legal protections to use them. The encryption and clipper chip debate in the US is the perfect example of this. In a perfect world everything would be self-hosted and federated, but no one's bothered to make the tools to make that easy, so we compromise our trust chain by trusting third party enterprises to make our speech resilient for us. It's pretty obvious that between backdoors, political machinations, lack of legal protection and simple lack of buy-in from the populace means that there isn't a lot of resilient speech on the net, what is resilient is typically difficult to access and has a bad reputation because the tools themselves have been successfully character assassinated. The move towards greater centralization and the advent of machine learning bode well for the censors, and what legal development has occurred has generally supported the censors.

Inventor of the Telephone

Associate Librarian for Polyracism
kiwifarms.net
Nope. I expect censorship to accelerate.
Look at China. We will become that, only worse.
China's system looks admirable compared to where we're going. At least in some instances they're trying to improve poor behavior in ways that benefit society.

Look at parts of europe where you can be jailed for a tweet involving correctly identifying someone's sex or where you can be imprisoned for years if you study history in a politically incorrect manner. The thought police are coming hard. They'll be staffed by people all fresh out of social justice training -- social work is a scourge, HR stands for Humanity's Rectum -- staffed by the most atrocious, amoral, ignorant, authoritarian, and insane people ever produced.

Oh the humiliation of being arrested by an obese woman with purple hair and a 7 foot tall steroid tranny with full beard and drag queen levels of makeup will be the final insult. (I swear I've already seen that abominable combination with British police.) It's all over.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
China's system looks admirable compared to where we're going. At least in some instances they're trying to improve poor behavior in ways that benefit society.

Look at parts of europe where you can be jailed for a tweet involving correctly identifying someone's sex or where you can be imprisoned for years if you study history in a politically incorrect manner. The thought police are coming hard. They'll be staffed by people all fresh out of social justice training -- social work is a scourge, HR stands for Humanity's Rectum -- staffed by the most atrocious, amoral, ignorant, authoritarian, and insane people ever produced.

Oh the humiliation of being arrested by an obese woman with purple hair and a 7 foot tall steroid tranny with full beard and drag queen levels of makeup will be the final insult. (I swear I've already seen that abominable combination with British police.) It's all over.
I was too terse. My China example was merely to exemplify the control the Chinese govt has.
Yes, you are correct. The West's insanity will swing from mandatory jail time for 'nazi' social media posts, into Govt 'reeducation camps' for terfs, trolls, and anyone that doesn't agree with the insane 2%. The goalposts will change by the week.

We will look back at 'banning' as a laughable consequence. I look forward to the first public execution for Cyberbullying.

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
kiwifarms.net
Eh, it would probably gain traction after certain amount of people gets killed or commits suicide over something that gets posted on the web. Like say, ANTIFA actually killing an elected official in the name of fighting the racists. Or Lori Lightfoot's place getting ransacked by the BLM rioters.

FruitFighter

angry biological entity
kiwifarms.net

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net

DiddyKongMain1989

kiwifarms.net
There are already web3 groups trying to develop decentralized and uncensored podcast platforms/dapps on the blockchain. Libertas is the one that comes to mind.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
There are already web3 groups trying to develop decentralized and uncensored podcast platforms/dapps on the blockchain. Libertas is the one that comes to mind.
Awesome. I'm certain their 200 users will be supporting them for the 30 days they are around...
...Right up until Visa/MC/Discover/PayPal/Patreon block their transactions for an unspecified reason.
And then Google removes their searches, and Twitter/FB/IG/etc mass ban them.

Then they can make another one.

DiddyKongMain1989

kiwifarms.net
@Orange Rhymer How? It's built on the ERC20 chain (or one of the other ERC chains I don't have the whitepaper in front of me,) So they can't be delisted or deranked by Google. It's on the decentralized exchanges so you'll always be able to swap your earnings for one of the other coins. Getting it out may be a problem but as long as you have a bank account of any type Coinbase or any one of the big exchanges should be willing to cash out the usdc/eth you've sent.
Is this one gonna fail? Yeah probably.
Like you said, it's not gonna have many users and that could leave it dead in the water. To me, no matter how long it runs if this thing works on a tech level then it's a success.
Knowing how fast crypto moves there will probably be like 20 different attempts at this concept that crash and burn. Eventually one of them will get a foothold.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
@Orange Rhymer How? It's built on the ERC20 chain (or one of the other ERC chains I don't have the whitepaper in front of me,) So they can't be delisted or deranked by Google. It's on the decentralized exchanges so you'll always be able to swap your earnings for one of the other coins. Getting it out may be a problem but as long as you have a bank account of any type Coinbase or any one of the big exchanges should be willing to cash out the usdc/eth you've sent.
Is this one gonna fail? Yeah probably.
Like you said, it's not gonna have many users and that could leave it dead in the water. To me, no matter how long it runs if this thing works on a tech level then it's a success.
Knowing how fast crypto moves there will probably be like 20 different attempts at this concept that crash and burn. Eventually one of them will get a foothold.
I wish you good luck sir. I truly do.
However, this is 2020....

in other news:
Sony just released a PS4 update that requires consent to record all 'Party Chat' convos for review and moderation of 'problem discussions'.
(I don't understand how a user, below the age of contractual consent can agree to this. Also, COPA)
2020 wins again.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
I wish you good luck sir. I truly do.
However, this is 2020....

in other news:
Sony just released a PS4 update that requires consent to record all 'Party Chat' convos for review and moderation of 'problem discussions'.
(I don't understand how a user, below the age of contractual consent can agree to this. Also, COPA)
2020 wins again.
Yeah, it looks like they're trying to keep their sponsors happy as opposed to actually protecting their customers.

Besides, this can be circumvented by renting a TS3 server.

• Agree
Reactions: Orange Rhymer

malt ipecac

kiwifarms.net
I like to remind myself that free speech survived for a long time before the internet, and even though the internet today is the most used and most effective means for exercising that right, it's only a means. It's a feature of democracy (and other majority-rule systems for choosing in groups) that outcomes end up reflecting the preferences of median Joe. And median Joe is reliably a fucking dumbass.

When a platform moves toward becoming universal, its polices more closely reflect median dumbass's preferences. This is actually a sign that the platform's architects are successful, because this is the best way to gain and maintain the largest market share.

Just a few years ago, Twitter was pretty cool with speech, and I'd argue that's largely because its median user was okay with a wider range of expression. Same with reddit. I can barely believe this today, but Ron Paul posts on fucking reddit of all places got me interested in libertarianism.

It's got to be a million times easier for a government to fight a war on drugs. Or guns. Those are both physical objects that are often smelly and bulky. Look at what a terrible job they've done there. They might be able to keep a someplace like an airport relatively drug-and-gun-free, and in the same way, they might be able to keep some shithole like Facebook relatively speech-regulated. But just like you can go somewhere that's not the airport for some speed n' shooting, you can go somewhere that's not Facebook to complain about niggers.

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
Today the Merriam-Webster literally modified the definition of the word "sexual preference" to be "offensive" around 24 hours AFTER Barret used it during the SCOTUS hearing yesterday. They're literally changing the definitions of words now to make them offensive after they're spoken.
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/10/...onary-definition-offensive-amy-coney-barrett/
https://archive.vn/zvMkp
That's great but does anybody actually care what Merriam-Webster or the Pink News or some moron politician have to say?
People will still say these things even if they are offensive.
In fact, many will say them more just to be offensive.
"Sexual preference" still means what it meant and people still use it all around the world, regardless of some busybodies trying to pressure the world to change things.
For these changes to catch on, they need to happen organically, changing something in a dictionary doesn't do shit.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
I like to remind myself that free speech survived for a long time before the internet, and even though the internet today is the most used and most effective means for exercising that right, it's only a means. It's a feature of democracy (and other majority-rule systems for choosing in groups) that outcomes end up reflecting the preferences of median Joe. And median Joe is reliably a fucking dumbass.

When a platform moves toward becoming universal, its polices more closely reflect median dumbass's preferences. This is actually a sign that the platform's architects are successful, because this is the best way to gain and maintain the largest market share.

Just a few years ago, Twitter was pretty cool with speech, and I'd argue that's largely because its median user was okay with a wider range of expression. Same with reddit. I can barely believe this today, but Ron Paul posts on fucking reddit of all places got me interested in libertarianism.

It's got to be a million times easier for a government to fight a war on drugs. Or guns. Those are both physical objects that are often smelly and bulky. Look at what a terrible job they've done there. They might be able to keep a someplace like an airport relatively drug-and-gun-free, and in the same way, they might be able to keep some shithole like Facebook relatively speech-regulated. But just like you can go somewhere that's not the airport for some speed n' shooting, you can go somewhere that's not Facebook to complain about niggers.
I'm trying to agree with your point, because it gives me hope for the future.
However.
I'm am fundamentally opposed to 'book burning'. Regardless if these books are diametrically opposed to my views, or agree with them.
The woke-internet is 'burning books'. Silencing authors (literally and figuratively), threatening livelihoods, and leveraging Govt. agencies against individuals. All purely for the expression of various opinions.
Lynchings don't reveal a democratic justice system. Censorship doesn't reveal a democratic architecture.

Tags
None