Do you think there’s an element of self-made misery to the common troubles of millennials? -

bruhidfk12345

kiwifarms.net
This is something that’s been on my mind for awhile now, and I’m curious what people think?

I 100% know things are not great, when it comes to jobs, cost of living vs wages, the education system etc, and boomers can be absolutely annoying/pretentious when it comes to giving worthless advice and acting like they know anything about today’s world. I’m not disputing that at all.

Yet at the same time, (and keep in mind, this is just based off my personal experiences, so obviously yours will be different), while things are definitely tough right now, a lot of millenials also have a tendency to fuck themselves over/make really bad choices in life that directly contribute to their misery?

Is that something you guys have also noticed, or am I completely off base here?

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think millennials have the misfortune of being the first to have grown up with all this technology and internet.
Because nobody went before them, there were no solid strategies in place for living with things like social media in a responsible fashion. nobody knew what to do and everyone was just throwing shit at the wall without knowing whether or not it would stick. This makes for a lot of cows and bad decisions.

Notan Alte

feel good
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think it's two separate problems that mesh into one shittastic one. While the economy and jobs are going to hell right now, there's plenty you can do to avoid the trashfire. Hell, you're basically guaranteed a job in comp sci out of college currently. Despite that, however, there's still plenty of people who pursue careers and degrees that will be less than useless in their lives, like liberal arts.

To answer the question, yes, it's bad, but a lot of these people are not helping their cases.

mr.moon1488

kiwifarms.net
Without a doubt. Half of the younger millennials (I don't notice it as much with ones in my age group) do really dumb shit, like racking up a massive amount of credit card debt, spending a shit ton of money on a new car, or going to college only to get a meme degree. That's only on the financial side of things. Granted the way things are now, dating isn't easy but I still see a fuck ton of millennials bitching about not having a gf, when all they do is sit around on plebbit all day. Millennial women are in the same boat too, because they're either complete sluts whom no one wants to marry by the time they're 30, they only worry about physical appearances so only a few of them luck out, and get a dude who's both attractive, and nice, or they keep putting off dating until they hit a 30s wall similar to what the sluts do.

p.s
A lot of the relationship problems come from fuckers staying glued to their smartphones all day, rather than actually talking to their classmates/co-workers.

I think it's two separate problems that mesh into one shittastic one. While the economy and jobs are going to hell right now, there's plenty you can do to avoid the trashfire. Hell, you're basically guaranteed a job in comp sci out of college currently. Despite that, however, there's still plenty of people who pursue careers and degrees that will be less than useless in their lives, like liberal arts.

To answer the question, yes, it's bad, but a lot of these people are not helping their cases.
The economy, and jobs aren't going to hell right now. The only ones really having trouble finding jobs are the aforementioned meme degree fags, and people trying to enter overpopulated job fields.

Last edited:

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
In some cases, millennials have screwed themselves, yes. In many, many other cases they're being told to eat a shit sandwich and smile while they do it. A number of the poor choices millennials tend to make stem from pressures placed upon them by members of previous generations.

The drive for college education in an era where it's no longer affordable to pursue a BA/BS with a summer job's wages. There are older generations who will boast openly about how they put themselves through a 4 year program on such money and don't understand why this INFURIATES millennials. Then when the millennial graduates with a BA/BS, even in a reasonably good field, and has difficulty finding employment to match their desired career path the whole "You go to college because no kid of mine is going to flip burgers" becomes "What, you think you're too good to flip burgers?"

The increasing pressure on millennials to get houses and families with 2 1/2 kids and a dog as millennials are faced with the quandary of trying to get into home ownership on relatively poor salaries, with tons of debt, in a housing market that may not be favorable, when settling down in any one area can cause serious issues with one's ability to pursue a profitable and fulfilling career... and the whole time the older generations are whining about not being able to spoil some grandkids. This as the whole mating dance is being thrown completely out of whack, compounding the issue further.

Clop

kiwifarms.net
Yes there fucking is because humans can't handle having this much safety. When you don't get enough real stress your mind goes apeshit and makes some. If these loons ever manage to push through with their wailing, the next generation is going to be even worse, and the troon safe space adult baby will be the one to go "holy shit, wtf is wrong with you kids"

mr.moon1488

kiwifarms.net
Oh, yeah another exceptional thing millennials do, which fucks up their finances. There's this really bizarre aversion millennials have to living in suburbs. For some reason, most of the ones I meet, what to live smack in the middle of the cities, which is just idiotic. Even if your job is located in a major metropolitan area, you can likely find a small house in a decent suburb near enough to it, and not only will the mortgage likely be cheaper than rent in the downtown area, you also wont be just throwing your money down the toilet bowl.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Without a doubt. Half of the younger millennials (I don't notice it as much with ones in my age group) do really dumb shit, like racking up a massive amount of credit card debt, spending a shit ton of money on a new car, or going to college only to get a meme degree. That's only on the financial side of things. Granted the way things are now, dating isn't easy but I still see a fuck ton of millennials bitching about not having a gf, when all they do is sit around on plebbit all day. Millennial women are in the same boat too, because they're either complete sluts whom no one wants to marry by the time they're 30, they only worry about physical appearances so only a few of them luck out, and get a dude who's both attractive, and nice, or they keep putting off dating until they hit a 30s wall similar to what the sluts do.

p.s
A lot of the relationship problems come from fuckers staying glued to their smartphones all day, rather than actually talking to their classmates/co-workers.

The economy, and jobs aren't going to hell right now. The only ones really having trouble finding jobs are the aforementioned meme degree fags, and people trying to enter overpopulated job fields.
Big ups on the smartphone thing, smartphones have fucking destroyed dating.
between the dating apps and the countless couples sitting at tables everywhere not talking to each other while they scroll through whatever, I can't think of a single bigger hurdle to forming lasting human relationships in current year.

mr.moon1488

kiwifarms.net
Big ups on the smartphone thing, smartphones have fucking destroyed dating.
between the dating apps and the countless couples sitting at tables everywhere not talking to each other while they scroll through whatever, I can't think of a single bigger hurdle to forming lasting human relationships in current year.
Yeah, and it's not even just romantic relationships it fucks up either. Most people in general are happier if they have friends, and it's kind of hard to make irl friends when you're not willing to talk to anyone around you.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, and it's not even just romantic relationships it fucks up either. Most people in general are happier if they have friends, and it's kind of hard to make irl friends when you're not willing to talk to anyone around you.
This is another Prisoner's Dilemma. If you're the only one putting the phone away and trying to strike up convos you're going to probably get nowhere. That being said, people are surprisingly weird about talking to strangers these days, phones or no. In a way computers and phones are BETTER at facilitating communication between strangers via your medium of choice than RL conversation right now because people feel more "in control" of the situation - they know they can always hit that block/ignore or log out and you're gone. RL has no block/ignore feature proper, and this leads to people simply choosing not to engage at all because they're basically spoiled by the ability to curate social circles with the precision afforded by online mediums.

Bunny Tracks

Addicted to a certain kind of sadness
kiwifarms.net
That being said, people are surprisingly weird about talking to strangers these days, phones or no.
I don't really find it surprising given the events of the prior decades.

The seventies and eighties had massive influx of high profile cases involving child abduction, pedophilia, and serial killers. Immediately after which have been nearly three decades of nonstop fear mongering about of how every person you see on the street is a monster just waiting to snatch you up, and kill you. The children receiving this constant barrage of "Stranger Danger", coupled with society's massive, modern obsession of trying to make every single activity and toy overly safe for them have grown up to become a distrustful, and easily frightened generation.

Some people will say that it's just the #MeToo movement that started all of this, but we have to remember that this kind of paranoid thinking has been in the public conscious for at least the past thirty years. If anything the #MeToo movement has on brought it back to the forefront.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this newfound concern for safety is necessarily a bad thing. I'm just saying that we've gone way too far with it.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
I don't really find it surprising given the events of the prior decades.

The seventies and eighties had massive influx of high profile cases involving child abduction, pedophilia, and serial killers. Immediately after which have been nearly three decades of nonstop fear mongering about of how every person you see on the street is a monster just waiting to snatch you up, and kill you. The children receiving this constant barrage of "Stranger Danger", coupled with society's massive, modern obsession of trying to make every single activity and toy overly safe for them have grown up to become a distrustful, and easily frightened generation.

Some people will say that it's just the #MeToo movement that started all of this, but we have to remember that this kind of paranoid thinking has been in the public conscious for at least the past thirty years. If anything the #MeToo movement has on brought it back to the forefront.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this newfound concern for safety is a bad thing. I'm just saying that we've gone way too far with it.
I get the impression it's very profitable/expedient to someone powerful or it wouldn't have taken such a strong hold.

Tryphaena

You too can find an axe and grind it
kiwifarms.net
I think a lot of it came from many American millennials being left to their own devices. Most of their parents were either too busy with work or just didn't give a shit. Plus a lot of broken homes. Lots of single moms. Lots of addict parents during their formative years. Coupling that with the internet, you have a lot of lonely kids with no guidance who found solace in MySpace and various other sites. Many riddled with weird stuff that they probably didn't need to see or hear. A LOT of pedos. Because being a pedo was easy back then. I remember when I was 12-15, me and all my female friends had a flock of 20 something year old guys hounding us and no parents to give a shit what we were doing. We thought it was normal for older guys to act like that. How would we know? It even happened to a few guys we knew. Daddy either bailed years ago or was preoccupied with work. Besides, we'd all been told how special and grownup we were by everyone. Parents, teachers, the pedos. A lot of us might have been resilient, but the general population? No. Say what you want, but the old internet wasn't a place for the general population of kids. Personally, it led me to become very suspicious of EVERYONE later on. How do I know this person isn't secretly a fucking weirdo online? Definitely put a damper on socializing.

As far as money and careers go, so many of the fields we were told were gonna be big are heavily saturated. School is very expensive and very difficult if you're in a position where you have to work long hours to support yourself while probably not making ends meet. I saw a girl that was so broke while in school that she was eating fucking condiment packets because it was either have a home or food. If you want a house or apartment, you can either get a fair price and live in the ghetto or pay out the ass for a nicer area and a tiny home. We also had really shitty schools. The schools started to really not give a fuck during this generation. We also saw the beginning of the sneaky SJW spiral. Many fell into it early because on paper it sounded nice. Equality and all that shit. And most just didn't notice when things were getting more and more ridiculous. And now their social circles are stuck in this PC circlejerk and a lot probably feel trapped in it. Scared to lose their friends or be outed as "being on the wrong side". Many others have just doubled down.

I mostly blame shitty and unavailable parents. The rising drug abuse (I bet most of you have a family member or two that had surgery and got hooked on pain pills). Everyone being told they're special and unique. Being plopped in front of a computer to raise you. Shut up now. Mommy is an individual and she needs to go get laid since daddy never came back from the store 5 years ago. Have some computer time.

SugarSnot

You will not want it after reading the tags.
kiwifarms.net
With the dawn of the internet, and especially social media profiles, expectations for yourself and everyone around you skyrockets. Used to be you compared yourself to your peers, or the rare people on TV who were likely to be from your country. Now you have the entire world (with internet access) to compare yourself to. You get to see the best of the best, and the second best, and the third best do amazing things that seem out of reach for someone like you. They do things you want to do, but why bother if they are already way better at it than you have any hope to be? Tell yourself why bother enough times and you stagnate into a useless blob of no marketable skills. It's not good enough for you (or a lot of employers) to just be good at something, if you're not offering something comparable to the best of the best on the internet then you feel worthless.

obliviousbeard

As white as schoolshooter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As millenial, I think my biggest worry is how I can last over next weekend of drinking, barbequing and sauna and calling it training course.

• Agree
Reactions: DuckSucker
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino