Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s? -

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
It feels weird to say that as there's no getting around the fact that some truly terrible things happened in the decade, chief among them 9/11 of course.

I certainly never thought when it ended that it would be a decade I'd miss as much as I do now, in fact that would have sounded like a cruel joke to people at the time and in fact it was, remember that scene in Children of Men where they're listening to the car radio and the DJ waxes nostalgic about the 2000s before playing a song? It was meant to be ironic as all get out.

But here we are in 2019 and would anyone honestly deny that for all it's faults the 2000s was still a better decade than the 2010s?

Part of this is just personal nostalgia, I was a teenager within the decade and your teenage years are always a nostalgic time for people, but there's more to it than that, the main thing that I miss is people's attitudes, which were undeniably better back then.

Before third wave feminism, before Black Lives Matter, before Antifa was such a thing, before all this anger, resentment, bitterness and downright hate that's going around, people back then still knew how to have fun, how to laugh, it was just a more mellow time, nobody was getting offended over every little thing.

I think that a lot of people had a very "whistling past the graveyard" mentality then, to not let the bad things that were going on bring them down too much, but in the years since there's just so much anger now and I'm sick of it, where did it all come from?

The scary thing is it really makes you wonder that if the 2010s makes you miss the 2000s, what might be going on in the 2020s to make you miss the 2010s?

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
Everything was better in the 2000s, and even better than that in the 90's, and depending on who you talk to, the 80's. I would take any of those three decades right now over the 2010s in a heartbeat. And that's just for the economic prosperity, irrespective of the cultural downward spiral we've seen for the past nine years.
what might be going on in the 2020s to make you miss the 2010s?
The 2010's brought us SJWs, bronies, politispergs, Antifa, BLM, the alt-right, and all the things I couldn't stand in moderation before the 2010's being cranked to eleven as of now.

I fully expect an economic bed-shitting followed by consistent street violence and everywhere just becomes super-Compton.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Everything was better in the 2000s, and even better than that in the 90's, and depending on who you talk to, the 80's. I would take any of those three decades right now over the 2010s in a heartbeat. And that's just for the economic prosperity, irrespective of the cultural downward spiral we've seen for the past nine years.
No. But I miss the 90's.

Of course the 90s were better, that's plain as day, what I'm focused on is the 2000s and whether it's fair to say it was better, because the 90s was better than both the 2000s and the 2010s.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
Of course the 90s were better, that's plain as day, what I'm focused on is the 2000s and whether it's fair to say it was better, because the 90s was better than both the 2000s and the 2010s.
Yes, the 2000s were better, especially for the internet. Net speeds notwithstanding, the content on the internet was mostly creatively driven by people with talent who made animations and short films, then the drama whoring you'd expect from trash reality TV took center stage on Youtube and every vlogger makes more money faster than even the most talented of creators, who largely go ignored now. It also doesn't help that the cowboy days of the internet are long gone and nearly everything you might publish gets stopped at the door due to the threat of the DMCA rape train. The internet as we knew it is past its infancy and largely at the end of its flourishing season.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I miss the internet from the 90s (just not the 56k I had)and early 2000s.
Yes, the 2000s were better, especially for the internet. Net speeds notwithstanding, the content on the internet was mostly creatively driven by people with talent who made animations and short films, then the drama whoring you'd expect from trash reality TV took center stage on Youtube and every vlogger makes more money faster than even the most talented of creators, who largely go ignored now. It also doesn't help that the cowboy days of the internet are long gone and nearly everything you might publish gets stopped at the door due to the threat of the DMCA rape train. The internet as we knew it is past its infancy and largely at the end of its flourishing season.
The 2000s era internet is one of the things I miss the most about the decade.

It's really depressing how brief the internet's golden age was.

Lou Wrong

Butthurt about Buddyloids
kiwifarms.net
I miss it, but outside of the internet its not like things were great then, either. Contrary to what rose tinted gogglers would tell you, the economy and jobs market sucked for most people back then, there were two wars going on, modern PC wokeness was having its birth, etc.

Chichan

kiwifarms.net
No, I was a kid then and I was poor and shit was not good(Tis why I have a fear of poverty). No fucking thanks. Although the music at the time was ok, but it was a preview of what music was going to turn into in the 2010's. Which has now become guilty pleasure music because its garbage. TV when I had cable it was good it was the golden age of cartoons especially Teen Titans and the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.
Edit: This thread is making me want to drink Shasta and eat Dandee Corn Twistees. Also 2008 is when my life became better even though culturally shit was taking a nose dive. I had better education and a better family so, I can't complain too much.

Last edited:

A single cheeto

Freelance Police Sped Unit
kiwifarms.net
Sure, I miss some of it. Like @Chichan said, cartoons were pretty good back then. There was also some pretty good snacks made then, that you can't get today. But there's also good stuff now. Some cartoons finally got an ending, like Samurai Jack. Pretty good movies too.

What I'm trying to say here is I think there will always be at least some good and some bad about every decade that we remember.

Rikka Takarada 2

I can't access my old account
kiwifarms.net
Before third wave feminism, before Black Lives Matter, before Antifa was such a thing, before all this anger, resentment, bitterness and downright hate that's going around, people back then still knew how to have fun, how to laugh, it was just a more mellow time, nobody was getting offended over every little thing.

I think that a lot of people had a very "whistling past the graveyard" mentality then, to not let the bad things that were going on bring them down too much, but in the years since there's just so much anger now and I'm sick of it, where did it all come from?
Hit the nail right on the head with these paragraphs; at least after 9/11 people united around the fact that America was a great country worth fighting for. People gave up high powered careers to pick up a rifle and teach those bastards a lesson. Nowadays, every time there's a terror attack, we get pieces saying "think of the poor Muslims who might experience Islamophobia" (my Android doesn't recognise that as a word lol) before the last victim has even expired.

Last edited:

Triggered Fivehead

Intersex prodigy (according to parent)
kiwifarms.net
Computers were very expensive and crap. But at the same time youtube, twitter and facebook were not invented or not quite mainstream yet. I do miss Classic Chris.

Recon

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I feel like the 90's peaked in the early oughts. I think it happens in most decades. The vibe of the previous epoch kinda sticks around, becomes its final form and then melts into something new. The oughts were just beautiful like that. Even with 9/11. At least that tragedy gave us all a shared narrative of some sort (sorry if that sounds fucked).

WEEDle

kiwifarms.net
I've been feeling quite nostalgic for the 2000s recently which is weird because during that decade, at least the latter half, I thought it was terrible. A lot of my nostalgia is probably due to my age during the 2000s, childhood and teenage years.

In the early 2000s the new millenium thing was a big deal, and I remember people acting like we were officially "in the future" now, sometimes in a tongue-in-cheek fashion. Looking back it is quite amusing going from early 2000s giant brick mobile/cellphones (Nokia 3310) to smartphones by the end of the decade, and the other advancements in computer gaming and other technology.

Music is another thing that amuses me looking back. Remembering the late 90s/early 2000s Nu Metal craze, pop punk, emo, etc. Some of the early 2000s chart music still holds up for me, mostly electronica and rock but some pop as well. I used to listen to music radio but these days I tend to avoid it.

Fashions changed a lot from what I remember baggy urban "skater" clothing or whatever you'd call it was popular in the early 2000s and by the end of the decade it was all skin tight stuff.

In the 2000s a lot of the stuff I enjoyed, movies, games, books, etc, were from the 90s, 80s, 70s, etc. Even on TV it seemed to be a mixture of some new bands or shows mixed in with time tested classics. But there was new stuff from that decade I enjoyed at the time, whereas this decade I tend to avoid most new media.

This has been a pretty shitty decade though, and I felt the same way in 2009 hoping the 2010s would be better, so here's hoping 2020s aren't too fucked up...

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino