Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s? -

Kyria the Great

kiwifarms.net
t's also been the major point where there has been large spikes in depression, and I think that again it's something that people will be able to look back on at some point and see a correlation between the explosion of home entertainment and internet usage, sedentary lifestyle choices, loss of actual meaningful social interactions, instead of online or ersatz formats and increases in long term basic depression.
I feel that in reality which is the true crime of 10's is that people tend to forget there are tradeoffs for advancement. I am not (quite) cynical enough to believe that entertainment is dumped on us to keep people from going to be bored enough to destroy everything in sight. Still, it seems that even in the early 00's the entertainment options were still rather limited and even with videa with multiplayer co-op was likely still the option you had meaning you still had physical friends to play whatever. Now, everything is rather removed and now things are even getting more removed with everything going to be even more automated and digitized with more concerning at restaurants having a place to place your order to further remove your contact with people.

2020's I am not sure how it will go on, I hope though we actually find ways to actually connect or otherwise we will live in a society where it is surrounded by people, but so damn lonely.

ToroidalBoat

spoopy slime kiwi tuber
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you were a Star Trek fan, the '00s was the last decade before JJ Abrams and STD messed up the franchise. If you were a Star Wars fan, the '00s was the last decade before JJ Abrams and Di$ney messed up the franchise. In other words, it seems as though the '10s were not too kind to Western scifi fans.

I feel that in reality which is the true crime of 10's is that people tend to forget there are tradeoffs for advancement. I am not (quite) cynical enough to believe that entertainment is dumped on us to keep people from going to be bored enough to destroy everything in sight. Still, it seems that even in the early 00's the entertainment options were still rather limited and even with videa with multiplayer co-op was likely still the option you had meaning you still had physical friends to play whatever. Now, everything is rather removed and now things are even getting more removed with everything going to be even more automated and digitized with more concerning at restaurants having a place to place your order to further remove your contact with people.

2020's I am not sure how it will go on, I hope though we actually find ways to actually connect or otherwise we will live in a society where it is surrounded by people, but so damn lonely.
Yeah you've got a point there. I remember trying to arrange playing over dial up with friends on things like Star Craft and that, it was a complicated process, but it was a fun thing to do when you couldn't spend time with the person directly.

That said the whole age on demand I think is the big pandora's box in regards to social interactions. I don't think its some conspiracy theory to keep people dumb and placated, though there is also that danger when you look at television consumption alone, its scary to view the averages and think of what that time could be better spent on, even in regards to entertainment. But that is something we've never experienced before, and so there isn't any really healthy boundaries. I know people who do online games that could be justified as an addiction, considering they work and play and do some of the other basic stuff around it.

The whole push for automation in restaurants annoys me for the exact same reason that cashless systems at bars annoy me. It's been facilitated to employ the lowest common denominator. Now you can expect at a McDonald's your not going to run into the great luminaries of the world, but cashier work when everything is pre-automated basically means that they need a functional person who can follow basic orders with only a very basic orders and that is it.

Reactions: totse

Webby's Boyfriend

we are the 40%
kiwifarms.net
If you were a Star Trek fan, the '00s was the last decade before JJ Abrams and STD messed up the franchise. If you were a Star Wars fan, the '00s was the last decade before JJ Abrams and Di$ney messed up the franchise. In other words, it seems as though the '10s were not too kind to Western scifi fans.
Somebody who knows only Star Wars and Star Trek isn't a real scifi fan.

Pointless Pedant

Waiting in queue for 2b2t
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

It's not about cynicism, it's about not being a loony conspiracy wacko. Corporations make entertainment to sell for money because they're greedy and they like money, not because they're all in cahoots with the government to shut down the inevitable uprising of comfortable middle class people that would surely happen otherwise. Basically no one on this site is in the demographic of anyone who would riot, ever, barring a total collapse of civilisation where people had to steal to survive.

I would also note that the USA is abnormal in having a rising suicide rate and the global suicide rate has been dropping on average. Also most US suicides are old men so it has far more to do with returning veterans from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, the depopulation of rural areas, decreasing hospital coverage in said areas, and the resulting death of rural culture than anything to do with social media.

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Progress-Watch/2019/0114/The-global-suicide-rate-has-seen-a-net-decline.-What-caused-it

Frankly this site's culture is comically detached from general society and it really shows. Most people are not going into the 2020 election thinking fucking trannies are the main issue facing the country rather than immigration and economics, and don't see the evolution of American society through the lens of video game culture. It's a site for the mentally ill, by the mentally ill, about the mentally ill.

awoo

Awoo Supremacist
kiwifarms.net
Most people are not going into the 2020 election thinking fucking trannies are the main issue facing the country rather than immigration and economics, and don't see the evolution of American society through the lens of video game culture.
You're completely right. Like I said I think most Americans will remember 9/11, George Bush and his idiotic military policies, and the Great Recession. Not exactly fond memories.

littlearmalite

Neck yourself, faggot.
kiwifarms.net
My mum died in 2007. Though I probably wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for that, the 2000s will always have a sort of strange nostalgia for me, a bygone era of innocence.

Also, the Nintendo 64, and being the only kid in my neighborhood who had a PS2. Those were the days.

• Feels
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li

Clown World on PCP
kiwifarms.net
You're completely right. Like I said I think most Americans will remember 9/11, George Bush and his idiotic military policies, and the Great Recession. Not exactly fond memories.
Possibly, but the pre-Recession 2000's weren't entirely that bad and in terms of pop culture, I do think it will be more fondly remembered than the woke blandness of the 2010's.

Look at the 1980's, another decade that is a nostalgia magnet. A lot of bad shit went down in the 80's as well. There was the crack epidemic, the peak years of the AIDS pandemic, the Challenger tragedy, the threat of nuclear war, and the peak hysteria of the Satanic Panic, yet we mostly remember the good pop culture stuff.

I'd imagine a similar thing will happen with the 2000's, especially when it comes to internet culture, which was more fun and a lot more free-spirited compared to the 2010's, where saying something that's only mildly edgy online can end up having an adverse effect on your real life because some blue-haired Millennial got triggered by it.

I'd say the 2000's will be a lot like the 1980's in that anyone who was actually an adult at the time won't miss it too much, but those who were kids and teens at the time will look on it fondly and you'll see a lot of nostalgia for it in the media in the 2020's and 2030's.

Token Weaboo

Exceptional seeking the exceptional
kiwifarms.net
I was just a child when 9/11 happened. The main thing I miss from those times is how uninvolved in politics everyone was. I liked the time more for the people I was surrounded with knew when people were and weren't being serious and had actual interests and personalities. suddenly the 2016 election happened and now I can't open any of my social media outlets without getting it shoved down my throat about how god awful of a person I am for finding edgy and dark humor still funny in my 20's. On top of that everyone seemed to have had an actual personality outside of politics and again enter 2016 election and now their life is politics tit for tat. It's pretty infuriating having to hear about the current president all the time.

I'm suspect to believe it's a side effect of being addicted to social media. I at least was grown up under the guise of to not believe everything I read online.

Possibly, but the pre-Recession 2000's weren't entirely that bad and in terms of pop culture, I do think it will be more fondly remembered than the woke blandness of the 2010's.

Look at the 1980's, another decade that is a nostalgia magnet. A lot of bad shit went down in the 80's as well. There was the crack epidemic, the peak years of the AIDS pandemic, the Challenger tragedy, the threat of nuclear war, and the peak hysteria of the Satanic Panic, yet we mostly remember the good pop culture stuff.

I'd imagine a similar thing will happen with the 2000's, especially when it comes to internet culture, which was more fun and a lot more free-spirited compared to the 2010's, where saying something that's only mildly edgy online can end up having an adverse effect on your real life because some blue-haired Millennial got triggered by it.

I'd say the 2000's will be a lot like the 1980's in that anyone who was actually an adult at the time won't miss it too much, but those who were kids and teens at the time will look on it fondly and you'll see a lot of nostalgia for it in the media in the 2020's and 2030's.
Yikes the moment I got done typing out my comment I saw this and suddenly feel called the hell out.

• Feels
Reactions: awoo and Syaoran Li

Syaoran Li

Clown World on PCP
kiwifarms.net
I was just a child when 9/11 happened. The main thing I miss from those times is how uninvolved in politics everyone was. I liked the time more for the people I was surrounded with knew when people were and weren't being serious and had actual interests and personalities. suddenly the 2016 election happened and now I can't open any of my social media outlets without getting it shoved down my throat about how god awful of a person I am for finding edgy and dark humor still funny in my 20's. On top of that everyone seemed to have had an actual personality outside of politics and again enter 2016 election and now their life is politics tit for tat. It's pretty infuriating having to hear about the current president all the time.

I'm suspect to believe it's a side effect of being addicted to social media. I at least was grown up under the guise of to not believe everything I read online.

Yikes the moment I got done typing out my comment I saw this and suddenly feel called the hell out.
I'm sorry, I didn't intend to call you out or anything.

My comment wasn't directed at you.

Reactions: Token Weaboo

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net

If it's any consolation those people are going to look like complete jackasses once Trump's term is done.

Dom Cruise

Smug vampire
kiwifarms.net

The way people remember the 80s today is not dissimilar to how people remembered the 1950s, there were/are people that looked at back at the 50s as basically being utopian, forgetting the specter of nuclear war that hung over that decade as well.

It's just human nature and how we remember stuff, we focus on the good and kinda forget the bad, it's always been that way.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

awoo

Awoo Supremacist
kiwifarms.net
The 80s didn't have a recession like the late 2000s though. If "Morning in America" was accurate the economy was doing really well.

• Agree
Reactions: c-no

Token Weaboo

Exceptional seeking the exceptional
kiwifarms.net
The way people remember the 80s today is not dissimilar to how people remembered the 1950s, there were/are people that looked at back at the 50s as basically being utopian, forgetting the specter of nuclear war that hung over that decade as well.

It's just human nature and how we remember stuff, we focus on the good and kinda forget the bad, it's always been that way.
I'd say it's actually easier to overlook all the bad in a time frame you didn't live or rather when you get a summary of that time frame. Negative titles sell well and we latch onto grudges more than remember positive things as humans. Considering those are things happening within our lives it's not so easy to look for the good. If you looked back at any time period and looked at stuff in a day by day basis it would possibly change how you think of it a little bit. Though I'm not doubting those times were possibly easier to live in because my mother tells me "You grew up in a different time than us" quite a bit.

Syaoran Li

Clown World on PCP
kiwifarms.net
The 80s didn't have a recession like the late 2000s though. If "Morning in America" was accurate the economy was doing really well.
There were a few recessions in the 80's, actually. most notably the 1982 Recession. Reagan's "Morning in America" had a lot more to do with culture and a backlash against the turbulent bleakness of both the late 1960's and the 1970's and was more about a rejection of Carter, the New Left, and the rampant crime and misery of the late 70's. There definitely was an economic component to it, but the economy in the 80's was not as stable as it was in the 90's and early to mid 2000's, although it was better than the 1970's or the late 2000's/early 2010's.

While none of them were quite on the level of severity as the 2008 Recession, they were noticeably bad enough that Bill Clinton was able to get elected in 1992 partly by campaigning against Reagan's economic policies that were continued by Bush Sr. ("It's the economy, stupid!" and all that)

There was also a brief and fairly mild recession in 2001 and the early part of 2002 that roughly coincided with 9/11 and was largely due to the Dot Com bubble of the late 90's finally bursting.

Dom Cruise

Smug vampire
kiwifarms.net
There was also a brief and fairly mild recession in 2001 and the early part of 2002 that roughly coincided with 9/11 and was largely due to the Dot Com bubble of the late 90's finally bursting.
That's always been so weird to me because I never heard about that recession at the time, all I heard about was 9/11 and the Anthrax scare, it's really weird to me to think there was also a recession.

But that brings me to what I wanted to talk about and that's negative aspects of the 2000s that I tend to forget, one of which is the fact that the culture war was still raging pretty hard back then, which is easy to forget given how much more intense it's gotten thanks to social media and Donald Trump, but it was still pretty intense even back then.

Remember for example all the controversy over Mel Gibson's The Passion of The Christ? Or all the controversy over evolution being taught in schools? America's been a very divided country for a long time.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino