Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s? -

Lone MacReady

Ya seen the price of Silver Boah?
kiwifarms.net
The 2000s had its own problems of course with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as the 08' recession. The ""migrant crisis"" or at least the conditions for migrants to be exploited by the globalist EU elite for white-replacement duty began with those wars as well. That said, overall the 2000s weren't bad at all and the internet was great.

The 2010s on the other hand have been an absolute garbage time in which to live. A half-breed globalist President in office for the majority, the recession/housing collapse, the rise of SJWs, the death of late-night comedy, the Globohomo agenda being increased ten-fold, the rise of the big tech monopolies and corporate censorship... the 2010s were absolute shit, and thank god we only have sub-6 months left here.

The 2020s I am relatively hopeful for.

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I miss the 2000's a lot, mainly because I was a kid back then.

The early 2000's were based as fuck, especially since 2000 and the first half of 2001 were pretty much the final form of the 90's, a direct continuation of the culture of the late 90's, with 9/11 being the cultural reset button that set the stage for 2000's culture as we know it.

It's sort of like how the Cold War ending and Grunge getting popular in 1991-1992 really set the stage for 90's culture and ended the culture of the 80's.

The mid-2000's were also pretty damn awesome. You could like anime without being weeb shamed (at least if you were young) and you had a lot of great things like the PS2, Adult Swim was in its prime, Family Guy came back (and we didn't realize what a Monkey's Paw that turned out to be) and even The Simpsons was still enjoyable, even if it wasn't as good as its peak years in the 90's.

The internet was like the wild west, but in a good way and my only wish is that I had an email address and could interact with it more back then. But I lived in a poor backwoods area and we had dial-up, so I didn't really bother with it since I was just a kid and didn't fully realize the importance of having an email address.

I didn't truly get to enjoy the internet until 2007 when I moved to a place with good broadband internet and by then, the internet began its slow march to the bland corporate nightmare it is in the 2010's.

But even when objectively looking back and taking things like 9/11 and the resulting wars into account, the pop culture was a lot better back then and it really wasn't until the late 2000's did things truly go to shit in my opinion. 2008 and 2009 felt more like a weird primer for the 2010's in retrospect.

The weird thing was that when I was in my angst-ridden teen years during the late 2000's, I viewed the 90's as a lost Golden Age and thought the 2000's were awful, so when 2010 began, I was initially optimistic and thinking that things would get better. I was definitely wrong on that one.

Libtard-Wrecking Krogoth

On a mission.
kiwifarms.net
it was the final decade of blissful ignorance for many 1st world nations, in my estimation, with the iraq war and financhu crisis being the nail in the coffin of les bon temps de l'enfance - de mon enfance, perhaps. i will definitely say that era had the perfect balance of technology and independence, you weren't forced to be ubiquitously connected like you are now. nature still existed back then, i think. and in 2008 i honestly thought the obama era would usher in a stable point in american history- i remember walking into my ethnic studies class the next day and my teacher saying he called him mom that night and she, a black woman, said "i felt like i can finally put the bags down." and i even felt the same way. i can't believe how miseducated i was by the education system of this country. i read some reactionary stuff around that time and they were all speaking gibberish as far as i could tell - what the hell was the problem? turns out they were often right, if not for the precise reasons they gave. i still date the death of the US to 11 sep 2001 just as a ceremonial date, with its cancer beginning in the 60s (as many would agree). my first years of college and the freedom of being a kid. sigh.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I miss the internet from the 90s (just not the 56k I had)and early 2000s.
Social media ruined the internet.
Hit the nail right on the head with these paragraphs; at least after 9/11 people united around the fact that America was a great country worth fighting for. People have up high powered careers to pick up a rifle and teach those bastards a lesson. Nowadays, every time there's a terror attack, we get pieces saying "think of the poor Muslims who might experience Islamophobia" (my Android doesn't recognise that as a word lol) before the last victim has even expired.
I don't know what happened during the 1% march/Occupy Wall Street movement that happened in 2011 but it has a lot to answer for too, it's the first time I noticed a public push for the whole intersectional theory nonsense:

And now for some reason the same people forgot about protesting big corperations and instead love them unconditionally but the SJWism stuck around.
I miss the internet from the 90s (just not the 56k I had)and early 2000s.
Social media ruined the internet.

chicken wings

Certified Instagram Dietician
kiwifarms.net
The only thing I missed during the 2000's was the gaming community culture. When communities were centered around a single game or series. Sites like Through the Looking Glass and Celestial Heavens. Also forums having rivalries with each other like Final Fantasy Online versus Eyes on Final Fantasy or Resident Evil Extreme versus Evil Online. Independent sites like these pretty much died when everything became a wiki and YouTube is now the best source for updates.

I guess YouTubers these days are the modern equivalent of the late 1990's - early 2000's random John's Metal Gear Fan Page but with a considerable upscale in quality.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Wrestling Champion
kiwifarms.net
I think we always miss our childhoods.
But there are somethings I genuinely miss. Some I even revisit from time to time, just for the nostalgia. Yogscast Minecraft, I watched so much of that when I was younger. Webkinz and Wizard 101 were the online games I played the most. Old podcasts I used to listen to. The entire time it feels like that one song from Up should be playing.
But the one thing that brings me back the most are Flash Games. AddictingGames.com was where I spent so much free time as a kid. I even remember how I learned about it, from an older kid at the fire department my dad was at for a training on road safety protocols showing us how to pass the time.
It feels like it was a simpler time, but that may just be how kids see the world.

Last edited:

The Last Stand

I need more gin.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was a kid then, but I remember the 2000s being innocuous for the most part. There wasn't really an outcry for civil rights as much as today; everybody just went on with their day.

Technology was beginning to form as it is today, everything felt new and revolutionary as it was coming out. I remember the PS3 as one example, never seen graphics like that. Or console multiplayer with Xbox Live.

Also, phones weren't as common as now. Usually, kids were being kids, playing outside, being excited about the new game console for Christmas, making friends, etc. Only adults had them.

Only thing I don't miss is the lack of financial ability as a kid. If you wanted something, ask your parents.

Overcast

Mmmph...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The 2000's were my adolescence years, with me graduating high school right after they ended.

During that decade, some of my favorite video games, songs, movies, shows, ect. came out. I got to experience a lot of things for the first time, both good and bad. And even the bad stuff was growing pains more than anything.

I don't know, I just look back on all that stuff fondly. It felt like a more innocent time.

The general attitude just felt a lot more carefree and optimistic than it feels like now. Sure, there were some not so great times, and looking back, it was clear the current PC attitudes were in their budding stages. But all in all, they weren't that big of a deal.

So yeah, I kinda miss the 2000's.

I guess the 2010's have to even things out I guess. For every good decade there has to be a couple shitty ones.

Of course, I like to believe every decade has something a child who grew up during that time would appreciate. Even something like the Great Depression I would imagine has taught some valuable lessons.

Edit: Cleaned my post up a bit to remove redundancy.

Last edited:

Freddy Freaker

Poz my freak hole daddy
kiwifarms.net
There was definitely better music and entertainment, even with the proliferation of reality TV garbage and network decay. The internet was absolute gold. Newgrounds, early 4chan and youtube. I spent a lot of time on anime sites and fanfiction back then. As well as a little site called Project AFTER. I still cant believe thats gone. I had to get prodded by other kids into making a MySpace just as it was dying and i got annoyed into making a Facebook early in high school. I knew social media was dumb but i had no idea just how cancerous it would be.

Now everything has to be safe and sanitized so the tranny kids/oppressed kangz dont commit suicide over pronouns/rob a foot locker or something and its almost all super corporate. I dont hold out much hope for the future of the internet. My friends are all saying im just a cynic and everythings fine but then again theyre almost perfect representations of the NPC meme.

Process.Start("Bless_Them.exe")

Anyway, 9/11 was definitely an end marker to the 90s but I feel like it continued in a sense for a little while longer. There may have been a new fear and paranoia, which was boosted by the anthrax letters, but the way everybody came together from the latter part of 2001 through early 2003 kinda felt like a natural conclusion to the 90s spirit of "We won the cold war without destroying everything! We can do anything!" becoming "Yeah we may have suffered a horrific attack but weve faced worse! If we just come together were unstoppable!" Then the Iraq war happened and that all got shattered. Getting bogged down in Afghanistan didnt help either.

I'd honestly rather have the 80s or 90s but looking back I guess 2000-2007 was.....ok. I have some cautious optimism for the early 2020s but after 2024 idk

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Without going into specifics, in terms of my childhood at the time, the 00s could've been better. But at the same time, pretty much all of my interests (Comedy, film, music, literature, vidya, etc.) were better during this time, and we had a Republican in office that we didn't like for genuine policy reasons instead of Reeing nonsense. Pretty much everyone on the internet knew to lol calm down and dumbassery was rightly mocked.

As people said before, we at least knew that things might've been bad, but there was no need to tear people down or be angry, preachy and sanctimonious 24/7. Will the 2020s be better? Who knows, though we'll probably get some sweet nostalgic package tours out of it.

Nekromantik2

They killed Fritz!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I miss the internet of the late 90's early 2000's. It was always interesting to go looking for stuff on that internet, you never knew what you could find. It might be an obsessive fan site for a movie, or something like rotten.com. It was a good escape from the shit situation the world was in at the time, but then social media became mainstream and it all went to shit. Now everyone was screaming for attention.

I find now a days the only thing I really use the internet for is talking with family that is far away, and going on Kiwi Farms. I need internet access for work, but I stay away from social media as much as I can. Social media can make the world seem crazier then it is, most people don't care about gender pronouns, and girls rights in video games. I think that's why so many cows live on the internet, the outside world doesn't really care about them.

But the pendulum will swing back, and then we get to sit back and laugh. I will say one other trend I hate is people being glued to their phones. I don't get it, it's not even always young people ether. I couldn't even tell you how many times I've almost gotten in a wreck because some fuck head was on their phone. I swear I saw some chick reading an e book while driving.

Bicycle Disaster

⚠️bicycles are fun⚠️
kiwifarms.net
The only thing I missed during the 2000's was the gaming community culture. When communities were centered around a single game or series.
I religiously posted in at least 5 forums that I'm desperate enough to browse said forums on a shitty WAP phone connection while in class.

iirc most of them were official game forums as well and they were eventually killed off in favor of social media (:_(
now every cool kid has their own discord server for everything and it just doesn't click with me

Maggots on a Train v2

new and improved account
kiwifarms.net
I don't really miss the 00's too much. All the economy problems were already manifesting, rent was already sky high where I lived. The Iraq war was looming over everybody with family or friends in the military. Scene kid and emo faggotry was in full effect.

The only high point was that the internet was better. I do miss the pre-social justice internet, but I have a bad feeling that even if I could go back in time, I would see the foundations for it being built everywhere.

Cat Menagerie

kiwifarms.net
I know about the bombing and I can guess the millitia stuff was pretty strong there in the 90s, but what was wrong with the 80s?
I posted this in the wrong thread and deleted it. Pretty sure you saw it already, but when the oil glut and subsequent bust happened in 1981, our economy started plummeting. The next year, starting with Penn Square Bank, the banks started to default. We lost over 100 banks in the state, including 7 out of the 10 biggest. The bank failures actually had a domino effect nationally. Anyway, no jobs, no money, plenty of crime.

Tags
None