Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s? -

Freddy Freaker

Herald of the Superior Future
kiwifarms.net
I posted this in the wrong thread and deleted it. Pretty sure you saw it already, but when the oil glut and subsequent bust happened in 1981, our economy started plummeting. The next year, starting with Penn Square Bank, the banks started to default. We lost over 100 banks in the state, including 7 out of the 10 biggest. The bank failures actually had a domino effect nationally. Anyway, no jobs, no money, plenty of crime.
(Moved from other thread)

Damn thats really fucking shitty. Didnt realize it was that bad down there.

WinterMoonsLight

J'ai une âme solitaire
kiwifarms.net
The early to mid 2000s I get nostalgic for at times, but I wouldn't say I pine for those days. I miss that feeling of being in college, where you were in a sort of in between place of gaining independence and responsibility while still getting to fuck around with little to no real consequence. I miss how people didn't seem as perpetually offended, I miss how politics didn't seem as polarizing and completely dominant of someone's personality as it does today. Old friends, Old hobbies and interests... it's human nature to be nostalgic every once in awhile.

Niggernerd

Idolm@ster has all my big tiddy waifus
kiwifarms.net
Hentai from 2000's-10's are the best so yes.

I do miss the days when people just played vidya to play vidya. No one gave a shit what game journalist said and we didn't have to deal with gaymergayte or the fame whores from it, we just played games and decided if they were ass or not.
movies were kind of shit since the main genre at the time was zombies and they got so stale.

I can't say those years were the best of my life. They're actually the worst years but god we had cool ass gba games.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
2000s was okay but I'll probably hate the 10's for the rest of my life
The 10s started off ok, you had reason to be hopeful around 2010 to 2012, but damn, I never could have imagined the nosedive it would take, I can't wait for them to be over.

I miss the 2000's a lot, mainly because I was a kid back then.

The early 2000's were based as fuck, especially since 2000 and the first half of 2001 were pretty much the final form of the 90's, a direct continuation of the culture of the late 90's, with 9/11 being the cultural reset button that set the stage for 2000's culture as we know it.

It's sort of like how the Cold War ending and Grunge getting popular in 1991-1992 really set the stage for 90's culture and ended the culture of the 80's.

The mid-2000's were also pretty damn awesome. You could like anime without being weeb shamed (at least if you were young) and you had a lot of great things like the PS2, Adult Swim was in its prime, Family Guy came back (and we didn't realize what a Monkey's Paw that turned out to be) and even The Simpsons was still enjoyable, even if it wasn't as good as its peak years in the 90's.

The internet was like the wild west, but in a good way and my only wish is that I had an email address and could interact with it more back then. But I lived in a poor backwoods area and we had dial-up, so I didn't really bother with it since I was just a kid and didn't fully realize the importance of having an email address.

I didn't truly get to enjoy the internet until 2007 when I moved to a place with good broadband internet and by then, the internet began its slow march to the bland corporate nightmare it is in the 2010's.

But even when objectively looking back and taking things like 9/11 and the resulting wars into account, the pop culture was a lot better back then and it really wasn't until the late 2000's did things truly go to shit in my opinion. 2008 and 2009 felt more like a weird primer for the 2010's in retrospect.

The weird thing was that when I was in my angst-ridden teen years during the late 2000's, I viewed the 90's as a lost Golden Age and thought the 2000's were awful, so when 2010 began, I was initially optimistic and thinking that things would get better. I was definitely wrong on that one.
This post really hits the nail on the head.

Looking back, I think 2005 was probably one of the greatest years of my life.

Of course, I was twelve years old back then. So my view of that year may be skewed by childhood nostalgia.
2005 to 2007 were the greatest years of my life, I was 15-18, I miss them dearly.

There was definitely better music and entertainment, even with the proliferation of reality TV garbage and network decay. The internet was absolute gold. Newgrounds, early 4chan and youtube. I spent a lot of time on anime sites and fanfiction back then. As well as a little site called Project AFTER. I still cant believe thats gone. I had to get prodded by other kids into making a MySpace just as it was dying and i got annoyed into making a Facebook early in high school. I knew social media was dumb but i had no idea just how cancerous it would be.

Now everything has to be safe and sanitized so the tranny kids/oppressed kangz dont commit suicide over pronouns/rob a foot locker or something and its almost all super corporate. I dont hold out much hope for the future of the internet. My friends are all saying im just a cynic and everythings fine but then again theyre almost perfect representations of the NPC meme.

Process.Start("Bless_Them.exe")

Anyway, 9/11 was definitely an end marker to the 90s but I feel like it continued in a sense for a little while longer. There may have been a new fear and paranoia, which was boosted by the anthrax letters, but the way everybody came together from the latter part of 2001 through early 2003 kinda felt like a natural conclusion to the 90s spirit of "We won the cold war without destroying everything! We can do anything!" becoming "Yeah we may have suffered a horrific attack but weve faced worse! If we just come together were unstoppable!" Then the Iraq war happened and that all got shattered. Getting bogged down in Afghanistan didnt help either.

I'd honestly rather have the 80s or 90s but looking back I guess 2000-2007 was.....ok. I have some cautious optimism for the early 2020s but after 2024 idk
This is another post that really hits the nail on the head.

That's one thing I've always thought is that the 90s didn't really end until the Iraq war, in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 and the year 2002, as frightening as it was Americans still had a very 90s sense of optimism about it, a feeling that though we were hurt it wasn't the end of us and we could pull through it together, that giving into despair would have been letting the terrorists win.

But once the Iraq war started and the gravity of the situation really hit home, especially once the Abu Ghraib scandal broke, that 90s sense of optimism was lost.

TendieMan

>username unrelated
kiwifarms.net
The 10s started off ok, you had reason to be hopeful around 2010 to 2012, but damn, I never could have imagined the nosedive it would take, I can't wait for them to be over.

This post really hits the nail on the head.

2005 to 2007 were the greatest years of my life, I was 15-18, I miss them dearly.

This is another post that really hits the nail on the head.

That's one thing I've always thought is that the 90s didn't really end until the Iraq war, in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 and the year 2002, as frightening as it was Americans still had a very 90s sense of optimism about it, a feeling that though we were hurt it wasn't the end of us and we could pull through it together, that giving into despair would have been letting the terrorists win.

But once the Iraq war started and the gravity of the situation really hit home, especially once the Abu Ghraib scandal broke, that 90s sense of optimism was lost.
On the contrary, I'd rather 10's didn't end until we were truly over with all this bullshit so that the next decade isn't contaminated with its filth.

Freddy Freaker

Herald of the Superior Future
kiwifarms.net
I honestly think theres three endpoints/signifiers to the end of the 90s.

Columbine was the beginning of the end. It was a sign that all was not right and of paranoia and exceptionalism to come. There were some truly ridiculous zero tollerance responses at other schools. Years after the fact i heard of a second grader that got suspended not long after the shooting for pointing a vaguely gun shaped chicken tender at the principal. I dont recall where. Heard of it online in the mid 2000s. Theres plenty of other exceptional stories out there from the time. It also sparked off the last great stand of the religious right as Marilyn Manson and "muh violent vidya" got blamed. Also the beginning of the left's RETHUGLICANS LOVE DEAD KIDS shtick.

9/11 was the big shock change that altered the world. Compare the Iranian revolution and Russia's Afghan adventure for the 70s and the revolutions of 1989.

Iraq was the final death blow that killed the last remnants of the 90s culture and attitude.

UF6

Eternal September Websurfer
kiwifarms.net
I was barely alive in the 1990s to remember it, and I have nothing but disdain for the 2000s. As for the 2010s, I am horrified of the upcoming cliff we are going to fall off., and yet I am hopeful that I can make my mark as nostalgia does not make the world or society move forward.

.Woody

I am the snake in my boot
kiwifarms.net
I honestly think theres three endpoints/signifiers to the end of the 90s.

Columbine was the beginning of the end. It was a sign that all was not right and of paranoia and exceptionalism to come. There were some truly ridiculous zero tollerance responses at other schools. Years after the fact i heard of a second grader that got suspended not long after the shooting for pointing a vaguely gun shaped chicken tender at the principal. I dont recall where. Heard of it online in the mid 2000s. Theres plenty of other exceptional stories out there from the time. It also sparked off the last great stand of the religious right as Marilyn Manson and "muh violent vidya" got blamed. Also the beginning of the left's RETHUGLICANS LOVE DEAD KIDS shtick.

9/11 was the big shock change that altered the world. Compare the Iranian revolution and Russia's Afghan adventure for the 70s and the revolutions of 1989.

Iraq was the final death blow that killed the last remnants of the 90s culture and attitude.
On that last point, most people internationally agree with you. I spent some time in Israel in the mid 2000's, and the general consensus was that when Baghdad fell, everything else went with it. God damn, I would kill to spend a little more time in 1999.

Cedric_Eff

I’m the Lord of the Harvest!
kiwifarms.net
I sorta do really. Those were the days of the early internet when everything was starting to develop. I missed the days when I was able to play split screen on PS2 games. I also missed the days when CNN used to show the war in Iraq constantly.

MakeItRain

taste the waste
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know what you fuckers are talking about, 2000's music was dogshit. Linkin Park, Green Day, Nickelback. I miss the niche message board culture though. And Napster. Limewire would have been great if it weren't for the 50/50 odds of accidentally downloading CP.

CWCchange

ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ
kiwifarms.net
I feel like the 90's peaked in the early oughts. I think it happens in most decades. The vibe of the previous epoch kinda sticks around, becomes its final form and then melts into something new. The oughts were just beautiful like that. Even with 9/11. At least that tragedy gave us all a shared narrative of some sort (sorry if that sounds fucked).
Especially when events conveniently occur early in each decade to serve as bookends, usually in the form of economic recession, but also stuff like the Civil Rights Movement and Cuban Missile Crisis in the 60s, collapse of the Soviet Union and L.A. Riots in the 90s, and of course, 9/11 in the 2000s. Also, all of a sudden, stuff that was considered countercultural or regional in the preceding decade gets widespread. With the 2010s ending in a year (or few), perhaps we can say it "started" around the time of Occupy Wall Street and Treyvon Martin, leading us into this dumpster fire. Place your bets how the 2020s will "start."

Alas, I've always felt the early 2000s weren't like the 90s nor rest of the 2000s. The whole millennium craze really expedited everything, and maybe because it was the time in my life in mid-elementary to middle school when growing up that I started becoming more aware of my surroundings. Frankly, 2002-2004 was the best time of my life and I could go on about nostalgia from Toonami and when GameStop was decent.

No. But I miss the 90's.
I ain't going to miss shitty cars, ugly electronics, slap bands, pogs, Bill Clinton, or fucking Matchbox Twenty and Hootie & the Blowfish. Also, sure 80s and 2000s fashion was usually hit or miss, but were they even trying in the 90s? Change my mind.

Another thing I miss is the 2000s were pretty much the best decade for nerd culture, as it had just enough newfound mainstream acceptance and accessibility though not yet to the point that it had to kowtow to political correctness.
Well, kids will always be bullied over being nerds, so I don't understand this "nerd are cool now" argument millennial tryhards contend. It's because the internet made communication and finding people to associate with easier than the yesteryear of D&D clubs.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I don't know what you fuckers are talking about, 2000's music was dogshit. Linkin Park, Green Day, Nickelback. I miss the niche message board culture though. And Napster. Limewire would have been great if it weren't for the 50/50 odds of accidentally downloading CP.
Some of the music of the era has aged well, it may not be as good as what came before, but it's better than what's coming out today.

I'll give you example, am I wrong for thinking this is a pretty decent song?

Agreed 100% about niche message board culture, that sure was fin while it lasted.

I used to be a member of a Silent Hill fan forum for example, while it's still around it's almost a ghost town now (like Silent Hill itself lol) but it was a very busy community when I joined in 2007.

Especially when events conveniently occur early in each decade to serve as bookends, usually in the form of economic recession, but also stuff like the Civil Rights Movement and Cuban Missile Crisis in the 60s, collapse of the Soviet Union and L.A. Riots in the 90s, and of course, 9/11 in the 2000s. Also, all of a sudden, stuff that was considered countercultural or regional in the preceding decade gets widespread. With the 2010s ending in a year (or few), perhaps we can say it "started" around the time of Occupy Wall Street and Treyvon Martin, leading us into this dumpster fire. Place your bets how the 2020s will "start."

I ain't going to miss shitty cars, ugly electronics, slap bands, pogs, Bill Clinton, or fucking Matchbox Twenty and Hootie & the Blowfish. Also, sure 80s and 2000s fashion was usually hit or miss, but were they even trying in the 90s? Change my mind.
Treyvon Martin is indeed one of the events that made the 2010s what it is, which it's disturbing to think something involving just two guys could literally change the entirety of American culture.

I can't even imagine what the 2020s will be like, I hope they'll be better, but I also wouldn't be surprised if some literally apocalyptic scale events happen, would love to be wrong about that though.

Also, you're right, the 90s actually are overrated, they're only lionized so much today because hey, we weren't at war and the economy was doing pretty good and American society wasn't collapsing in on itself, but they weren't the best times for all of pop culture.

CheezzyMach

Superior Tentacle Rapist
kiwifarms.net
I miss when the country wasn't so politically fractured,when the entertainment media industry didn't think it was kosher to shit on their fans,when we weren't so reliant on the internet and when we didn't have a group of cross dressers trying to destroy the concept of sexual biology.

So I guess in a way I do miss the 2000s.

queerape

WE WAS DANKEY KANGZ N SHIET
kiwifarms.net
I miss politics being sane and enjoyable, and emo kids. I miss being a teenage girl, watching actually good anime longer than 12 eps, and discovering emo and nerd boys.

• Feels
Reactions: awoo and Syaoran Li
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino