Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s?

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
I've heard them described as the "Luciferian Left". But like members of a cult, not all are bad though.

If extinction happens, at least it's better in the end than a never-ending Current Year. Can you imagine 1 billion years of ever-worsening yet never-ending Clown World - especially with New Normal?
No, but I can imagine worse things past it, and that New Normal becoming the new right-wing or whatever word they use to demonize or call their bogeyman.

Sperghetti

#waxmymeatballs
kiwifarms.net
Just a weird thought I had the other day;

After almost a hundred years, the 2000’s were the last decade where kids would regularly experience the feeling of having to stake their claim on the family radio/television so that they could watch their show at the only time it came on, as it was released, or else be held at the mercy of reruns.

The way we interact with media has changed enormously. Even in the 2000’s with the rise of flash and early YouTube you could find entertainment on the internet at your own pace and convenience, so the anticipation of new content and the routine that comes with it had already begun to wane.

Hell, just having less media overall has changed the way we treat our experiences. There’s a reason why a free PlayStation demo disc from Pizza Hut or that Cap’n Crunch Crunchlings PC game you got in a fucking cereal box felt like uniquely special experiences despite their relative quality; when you only owned a dozen games total, each one felt bigger in emotional scale. A new addition was a novelty.

Now I own literally hundreds of games, most of which were gained through subscriptions or free giveaways, to the point where I’ll forget for months that I already own a title I was interested in. Sitting down to play one, no matter how good it actually is, doesn’t have the same feeling as playing a 6/10 game you bought after saving your allowance for weeks to get it.

My nephew has played a wider selection of games at age 5 than I did for the first 20 years of my life, and that’s a weird thought.
See, this is the stuff I think we should define "generations" by instead of just arbitrary calendar years.

Along these lines, something just feels weird to me about being lumped in with people who don't remember a world without cellphones, and had Facebook accounts during their high school years.

totse

Not a spook, probably
kiwifarms.net
The way we interact with media has changed enormously. Even in the 2000’s with the rise of flash and early YouTube you could find entertainment on the internet at your own pace and convenience, so the anticipation of new content and the routine that comes with it had already begun to wane.

I remember making sure I was home specifically to watch the airing of the season finale of Star Trek: Voyager. I cried at the end. I was like 10, but still. I don't think that would have happened without the factor that you describe. There was something special about it, knowing that millions of people across the country were watching my favorite show end along with me. It wouldn't have been the same just watching the end of the series on Netflix, no matter how much I loved it. It was about being there for it. It wasn't just some content that you could pull up whenever you wanted. It was an event that you were either there for or not.

Vaguely related: Feeling of "connectedness" from listening to broadcast radio vs. MP3s

Jetpack Himmler

Secret Shota
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ah, the 2000s really do feel like halcyon days in comparison to the shit show that was the 2010s and the encore that will be the 2020s. It was probably that time I felt some optimism for the future and actually believed in something before falling into into a pit of nihilism and existential despair. Is it me or was geek culture better back then? One of the things I absolutely hated about 2010s was how the "mainstreaming" of the superhero genre via the MCU tore out the fandom's soul and corporatized it. I cringe hard when I see people blather on about Wakanda or treat the MCU as the holy grail of geekdom that some normie ties their very identity to. It may sound like gatekeeping, but geek culture felt like it had some heart in the 2000s rather than the soulless corporate shell it is today. Granted, there were warning signs that things were going down hill with Dan DiDio's reign starting that decade and Joe Quesada's antics at Marvel. I would dare say the "One More Day" and the New 52 were the points of no return for the industry.

Also, I echo the sentiments that the 2000s were the Internet's golden age and social media has turned it into dumpster floating in a lake of radioactive waste. Most of the connection I formed back on the forums of yore felt more real than any I made today. Fuck, some of people I shot the shit with back then became lifelong friends whom I met in person and I still grieve for one friend that I never got that opportunity because he passed away because of his slowly failing health. He died in 2006 and I thank Odin that he didn't live to see what the world has become under Facebook and Twitter. Social media has turned people into nasty, vacuous, and narcissistic pieces of shit. All it does has turned them into baying, unthinking mobs who care more about satisfying their adolescent egos through empty gestures.

Last edited:

AnaphylacticShock

kiwifarms.net
I miss being young, but I don't particularly miss the 2000s. The culture wasn't all that great back then. The only thing that sticks out to me that was decent was how after 9/11 American flags were everywhere even on clothing.
My parents have always said that the country has been on a downward trajectory since Kennedy got shot. I have a hard time being nostalgic of any time period I've experienced knowing I missed peak western civilization by over 35 years.

Last edited:
I miss being young, but I don't particularly miss the 2000s. The culture wasn't all that great back then. The only thing that sticks out to me that was decent was how after 9/11 American flags were everywhere even on clothing. My parents have always said that the country has been on a downward trajectory since Kennedy got shot. I have a hard time being nostalgic of any time period I've experienced knowing I missed peak western civilization by over 35 years.
Kennedy had it coming

nekrataal

menhera cake princess 🇦🇹🍰
kiwifarms.net
I miss the days when there weren’t so many retards online, like the days before facebook and twitter got to be as big as they are now. I used to just stick to hobby forums. Back then things like troons and a lot of the mental illness that you see everywhere now wasn’t as prevalent or as accepted.

Dread First

Kiwi Farms' self-professed Grand Mufti of Autism
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I miss the 2000s in that life seemed so much simpler in hindsight back then, but I'd like to add a caveat to that: I literally entered 2000 as a preschooler and left the decade as a teenager. There's an old Russian saying that goes along the lines of "back when the trees were tall," and I feel like that wholeheartedly applies to my perception of what that decade was like. Personally, I hold a greater attachment to the 2010s because that's the decade I have the fondest memories of (to date). I had so many experiences from 2010-2019 that I never would've experienced in the 2000s (i.e. most of my past romantic relationships, meeting some of my closest IRL friends to this day, sharing experiences with both people like movies, concerts, etc., being a legal adult with all of the benefits that would imply, and so on).

The 2010s also hold a special place in my heart because, despite the technological dystopia we live in, this is also the decade where I joined Kiwi Farms in the first place. So much of my current online habits were developed from the knowledge that I gained from this website. I learned that it's not a good idea to use the same identity everywhere, that sometimes it's not a good idea to publicise the minutiae of what I'm thinking at every single second of the day, and that there are viable alternatives to applications that I used to rely on before their discovery (i.e. Signal, ProtonVPN, Pleroma, Matrix, etc.). On a similar note, there are so many users on this website that I've come to liken to being "friends," (i.e. @Woke Blue Muttlema, @Pina Colda 88, @heatboss, @Orc Girls Make Due, among countless others). Even if we're not IRL friends, their insight into the various lolcows that we've come across remains valuable because they approached these people from their own perspective based on their life experiences.

It's surreal to me that artists like Keyshia Cole and Mary J Blige are now considered "classic" R&B in a vein similar to people like Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson, but that's the price we pay for getting older. Time's arrow only marches forward, so it's only fair that we march forward with it mentally. If we spend our lives reminiscing over the past, we miss out on what's happening in the present. It might be fucking shitty right now, but that doesn't change the fact that there's happiness to be found even in the bleakest of times. At least, that's the way I see it.

At a tl;dr level - I miss some stuff about the 2000s, but I'm more than happy to have lived through two full decades because there were so many experiences unique to each time period that I'd never trade for the world.

Orc Girls Make Due

Will likely suck your dick, Resident Schizo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I miss the 2000s in that life seemed so much simpler in hindsight back then, but I'd like to add a caveat to that: I literally entered 2000 as a preschooler and left the decade as a teenager. There's an old Russian saying that goes along the lines of "back when the trees were tall," and I feel like that wholeheartedly applies to my perception of what that decade was like. Personally, I hold a greater attachment to the 2010s because that's the decade I have the fondest memories of (to date). I had so many experiences from 2010-2019 that I never would've experienced in the 2000s (i.e. most of my past romantic relationships, meeting some of my closest IRL friends to this day, sharing experiences with both people like movies, concerts, etc., being a legal adult with all of the benefits that would imply, and so on).

The 2010s also hold a special place in my heart because, despite the technological dystopia we live in, this is also the decade where I joined Kiwi Farms in the first place. So much of my current online habits were developed from the knowledge that I gained from this website. I learned that it's not a good idea to use the same identity everywhere, that sometimes it's not a good idea to publicise the minutiae of what I'm thinking at every single second of the day, and that there are viable alternatives to applications that I used to rely on before their discovery (i.e. Signal, ProtonVPN, Pleroma, Matrix, etc.). On a similar note, there are so many users on this website that I've come to liken to being "friends," (i.e. @Woke Blue Muttlema, @Pina Colda 88, @heatboss, @Orc Girls Make Due, among countless others). Even if we're not IRL friends, their insight into the various lolcows that we've come across remains valuable because they approached these people from their own perspective based on their life experiences.

It's surreal to me that artists like Keyshia Cole and Mary J Blige are now considered "classic" R&B in a vein similar to people like Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson, but that's the price we pay for getting older. Time's arrow only marches forward, so it's only fair that we march forward with it mentally. If we spend our lives reminiscing over the past, we miss out on what's happening in the present. It might be fucking shitty right now, but that doesn't change the fact that there's happiness to be found even in the bleakest of times. At least, that's the way I see it.

At a tl;dr level - I miss some stuff about the 2000s, but I'm more than happy to have lived through two full decades because there were so many experiences unique to each time period that I'd never trade for the world.
Aww, nigga. That's so gay, I love it.

But in response, there's so much to miss and/or hate from the 2000s, but there's always the fond memories in the back of my mind of how much simpler those times were before social media had it's big boom. Sure you could connect with people on the internet and stuff, sure. But you had to actively go out of your way to do it, it wasn't something that was just an everyday thing. You weren't meeting people by the second. It wasn't so intrusive or constant in your life like it is now. But that's not the worst thing either. There are both dope people out there, and then you've got this crackpot website coming out of the very thing I'm explaining to be bad, so.

A Grey Cat

Meow
kiwifarms.net
Good lord remember when things like one more day, ultimatum, cry for justice, countdown to final crisis and finally the new 52 where the lowest points in comics? Mainly because of all the ball brained idiot plots, constant deaths of minor characters who'd never be seen again, and the over sexualzation of female characters? I legit WISH those had STAYED the lowest point in the history of modern comics. Given how the industry went in the complete opposite direction and made once sexy or even just cute characters like ms marvel, squirrel girl, starfire, Harley Quinn and so on either

A. Covered up with so much cloth it's a wonder they didn't stick them in burqas
B. Utterly hateable mouthpieces for straw feminism
C. Bloated hambeasts because "muh body positivity/no fat shaming! "
D. All of the above.

Dread First

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Good lord remember when things like one more day, ultimatum, cry for justice, countdown to final crisis and finally the new 52 where the lowest points in comics? Mainly because of all the ball brained idiot plots, constant deaths of minor characters who'd never be seen again, and the over sexualzation of female characters? I legit WISH those had STAYED the lowest point in the history of modern comics. Given how the industry went in the complete opposite direction and made once sexy or even just cute characters like ms marvel, squirrel girl, starfire, Harley Quinn and so on either

D. All of the above.

Don't forget how they massacred my boy Wally West so bad that they had to undo New 52 to bring the real Wally back.

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I try to separate what was happening in my life from what was happening culturally at the time. I got my own house and got married and had kids in the 2010s, obviously I'm the happiest I've ever been in terms of where my personal life is. What I miss shit like how the internet was and pop culture like movies and games from the 2000s, and just kind of the attitudes of young people in general. I was 21 in 2005, for example, and I'm pretty sure most 21-year-olds didn't even know what the supreme court was. Compare that to 21-year-olds now with their notorious RGB memes. Everything, the internet, pop culture, games, etc are highly politicised and I'm old enough to know they weren't 15 years ago.

Look at this clip from 2003:

Micheal Moore trashed a sitting Republican president and got booed and played off the fucking stage. Can you imagine the same happening today? Even if it wasn't Trump. Can you imagine someone getting booed and played off the stage for trashing any Republican president in 2021? It wasn't that political things have never happened at the Oscars, but most of them were stuff like, "I'd like to take a moment to think about victims of aids and starving African children" with the occasional Veitnam protest or whatever. I'm pretty sure using your speech to deliver a political tirade was the norm at the 2020 Oscars.

Odnovo

kiwifarms.net

Well of course the 2010s were better for you; you're a Muslim. Muslims have been pampered and babied in Western society throughout the last decade, all at the expense of pretty much anyone else.

Dread First

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well of course the 2010s were better for you; you're a Muslim. Muslims have been pampered and babied in Western society throughout the last decade, all at the expense of pretty much anyone else.

Nice try, but my family emigrated to the USA back in the 1980s. If sand niggers ever got pampered in the USA, it damn sure didn't happen when I was a kid. It also certainly didn't happen for me in the 2010s. I had to earn my keep just as much as any other self-respecting American. Save that bullshit for a European jihadi that got off scot-free for committing disgusting atrocities that are explicitly haram in the Qur'an.

Odnovo

kiwifarms.net
Nice try, but my family emigrated to the USA back in the 1980s. If sand niggers ever got pampered in the USA, it damn sure didn't happen when I was a kid. It also certainly didn't happen for me in the 2010s. I had to earn my keep just as much as any other self-respecting American. Save that bullshit for a European jihadi that got off scot-free for committing disgusting atrocities that are explicitly haram in the Qur'an.
You can't really blame me for having such a sentiment when those European jihadis literally number in the millions. I also doubt that raping and enslaving non-Muslims with impunity is truly against the Qur'an; it has happened (and still happens) in Islamic shitholes all throughout history.

Dread First

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You can't really blame me for having such a sentiment when those European jihadis literally number in the millions. I also doubt that raping and enslaving non-Muslims with impunity is truly against the Qur'an; it has happened (and still happens) in Islamic shitholes all throughout history.

This isn't the time, or the place, to have a heated theological discussion on what is and isn't haram in Islam. This is the extent to which I'm willing to derail the thread. If you wanna be mad on the internet, take it in a PM chain or make a dedicated thread here in the Deep Thoughts section.

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net

D. All of the above.
And they say anime fans are the worst (weeaboos are so bad though they count as their own corner of fuckery though). If there's something that I don't miss about the 2000s, it's because of the smarmy contrarian comic book fans angry and jealous that comics from another nation with more freedom, creativity and expression regardless of origins happened to showcase better how comics have integrity and autonomy as its own art form and entertainment. At least we don't tolerate shit entertainment praying that it would get better and ignorant of what factors that caused it to crash earlier in the first place like whore giving a blow job to a shit covered dick and trying to subvert the act as not that bad.

The Last Stand

Glamorous Summertime
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honest, we should just go dark, keep quiet and do our best to save money and live as frugally as possible while preserving as much of the "problematic" and "degenerate" past as we possibly can and if you are a creative type, creating new works that are problematic or degenerate and against the moralism of the Woke Left.
Sometimes THAT isn't enough. Not to doompost, but I feel people's tensions are so high, all it takes is ONE thing for somebody to lose it. Or you're walking on eggshells just getting by, then all of a sudden you did SOMETHING. You're so frenzied that you do not know how to respond or react.

I am approaching that point.