Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s? -

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
9/11 was dope we got to watch the news instead of having to do math.

To those of us who were alive before 9/11, it can seem crazy that there are now people who are old enough to drink - in America - who don't remember 9/11, and people who can vote who weren't even around yet when 9/11 happened.

This really is the (crappy) future...

(I also posted this in another thread.)

HERO_V

kiwifarms.net
As an early 2000's kid, I can definitely feel the nostalgia for a time that seems mysterious and virtually forgotten by most. The culture and atmosphere at the time may have been depressing, but it's significantly better than what we have today. As others have mentioned, the cultural rot was evident, but not near the drastic levels that we are currently experiencing today. It was a calm before the storm, despite all the horrific and negative events that occurred in that decade.

No doubt the pop culture was in a much healthier state than the current year. Video games, films, comic books, etc. still had a sense of identity and originality to them. The constant remakes/reboots are killing fandom. It's been going downhill since 2012.

I fear for the future, but I still have hope that the masses will wake up and disregard the cultural marxist nonsense that's been pushed down our throats for the last 70 years.

HERO_V

kiwifarms.net
I miss the 2000's so much, back in those days entire citys could go a year without some race riot, protesting was actually legitimate in a majority of cases, rebeling against the norm was a skateboard and a can of spraypaint, not an AR-15 and a few molotovs.
It was also a time before people would make political identities as their personality. People could still be individuals and think for themselves.

Jesus Goldstein

Omega male
kiwifarms.net
As a gen-x’er, the rot seemed to set in with September 11 and the tech bubble bursting. Everything: politics, the economy, pop culture, seems to have been in decline since a vague high-water mark around 2000-2002.

At the time, I actually hated the pop culture of the 90’s - grunge, rap, Friends, Jim Carey comedies; but the past several years have made it seem like a golden age in comparison, to the point that I am now nostalgic for all that crap.

Maybe it’s the rise of woke combined with social media. The ever present fear that saying the wrong thing could cost you your job. I don’t remember that paranoia being as prevalent prior to Sept. 11. After that, you started seeing the fear creep in - first with watching what you joked about, or said at the airport (and god help you if you walked away from your luggage for few minutes). Now I have to shit poast anonymously on this site; just to say things everyone thinks, and actually used to be able to say freely.

As a coda, I will leave you with this: I remember this book and others similar being popular when I was a kid in the 80’s. Imagine something like this being published now. We are all emasculated faggots.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1463266.Truly_Tasteless_Jokes_One

Skitzels

kiwifarms.net
I suppose my nostalgia for the 2000s stems from the fact that I entered it in the second grade and graduated in 2010; but I honestly miss mid 2000s edgelord culture. Sure it was cringe, but it was our cringe that sometimes made for good music and movies.

I remember when That Guy with the Glasses seemed like peak comedy if you were someone blinded by 80s and 90s nostalgia. I also remember when pretty much all the marvel films were their own stand alone stories, without any need for an over complicated crossover of any kind (except in comics, which only the most dedicated geek would go out of their way to purchase).

I also miss when movie going was genuinely enjoyable too. No matter how cheesy it was, I could still leave a bad movie at least feeling like I have been entertained.

But at the same time, the 2000s mainstream culture started to seed the rotten wine ideology which we see today. I remember encountering proto-SJWs back in 2007-8 back on TwilightSucks (which that site to this day has cemented my resentment towards Harry Potter because of how many faggots from that fandom derailed the site).

Then there was watching Avatar in 2009, which I initially enjoyed the first half because cool robots and creatures. But.. it was also the first film that made me start realizing there was an anti white narrative under that. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it back then, but I found the film to be condescending and preachy as well.

After that movie, I started to notice the shift into shoving politics into what should be otherwise fun films. The worst part? None of them have nothing new to say.

Like many others in this thread, I too dislike how corporate geek culture has become in the last 12 years. I place the blame on Big Bang Theory, which has only made me see why gatekeeing is valuable.

I also miss when no one knew what the fuck trannies even were. Ironically, I’d say they had much more acceptance when they weren’t screeching to be validated every fucking day or trying to shove their mental illness onto unsuspecting children.

In short, our culture is stagnating big time. On top of stagnating, we are entering debauchery and degeneracy not seen since the fucking Weimar Republic with how every corner of society is slowly being turned into a red light district.

The degenerates are likely going to bring on the very type of regime they claim to fear, and all because they can’t stop acting like the subhumans featured in Nazi propaganda.

AnOminous

i will eat your fucking soul
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
But.. it was also the first film that made me start realizing there was an anti white narrative under that. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it back then, but I found the film to be condescending and preachy as well.
I thought if anything it was a white savior narrative, where a white guy shows up and tells the natives they're doing it wrong and need to let the white man take over. Basically Dances With Wolves with aliens.

Big Ruski

Were all gonna make it, brah
kiwifarms.net

Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s?​

8b363945ddef00391e85df96e0a19a16.png

1200px-PS2-Versions.jpg

163d9409636df9a092af1809062ad412.gif

download (6).jpg

Serebii_(Screenshot).png

pools-closed-due-to-aids-5e34fae4636a6-overlay (1).png

InfamousEnragedFlee-max-1mb (1).gif

BlindDefiantBanteng-size_restricted.gif

uSuw7Ci.gif

1561503556122.gif

Trollface_non-free.png

Yes

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But at the same time, the 2000s mainstream culture started to seed the rotten wine ideology which we see today. I remember encountering proto-SJWs back in 2007-8 back on TwilightSucks (which that site to this day has cemented my resentment towards Harry Potter because of how many faggots from that fandom derailed the site).
I remember proto SJWs I encountered online as far back as 2006.

The imdb message boards is the main place where I would see them, one thing I remember is someone saying that Americans were a bunch of whiners who needed to just get over 9/11 because the Indian ocean tsunami killed more people.

A lot of anti-American stuff like that, anti-Bush stuff, just really fucking bitter, cynical and miserable assholes who I'm sure often later went Woke.

Then there was watching Avatar in 2009, which I initially enjoyed the first half because cool robots and creatures. But.. it was also the first film that made me start realizing there was an anti white narrative under that. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it back then, but I found the film to be condescending and preachy as well.

After that movie, I started to notice the shift into shoving politics into what should be otherwise fun films. The worst part? None of them have nothing new to say.
Looking back Avatar absolutely set the tone for the last 10 years of anti-white hysteria, it's why even though I liked it ok when I first saw I've never worked up the interest to watch it again.

But Avatar was born from the anti-Bush and anti-Iraq war movements, that was all essentially proto-Woke, in a big way the left fundamentally soured on the USA back then and though it cooled off for a little bit thanks to Obama, once Trump came along they fully took the gloves off in their hatred of the US, they just absolutely fucking despise this country, that's what it all boils down to.

Hell fucking yeah!

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
Companies would literally post their entire series on YouTube, people would bother to be creative, boundaries didnt exist online and you never had to deal with anybody trying to police your behavior. Now, I cant play a demo for more than an hour and 4chan is overrun by psyops. There's a fucking Alabama thread on /pol/ as I type this just a week after I listened to the radio and heard an ad with a dyke couple talking about that state.

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Companies would literally post their entire series on YouTube, people would bother to be creative, boundaries didnt exist online and you never had to deal with anybody trying to police your behavior. Now, I cant play a demo for more than an hour and 4chan is overrun by psyops. There's a fucking Alabama thread on /pol/ as I type this just a week after I listened to the radio and heard an ad with a dyke couple talking about that state.
It's amazing how much fun the internet used to be and it's sad how short lived it's golden age really was.

I would say even as far back as the year 2012 the internet was starting to get lame and that's before Woke really took off in a big way.

There's so many communities I was a part of that are just gone now that I sometimes find myself wishing I could get back in touch with.

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As a gen-x’er, the rot seemed to set in with September 11 and the tech bubble bursting. Everything: politics, the economy, pop culture, seems to have been in decline since a vague high-water mark around 2000-2002.
I'm a bit younger than you, but I was still in high school when 9/11 happened. There was for sure a clear and dramatic shift in the following years.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As an early 2000's kid, I can definitely feel the nostalgia for a time that seems mysterious and virtually forgotten by most.
Even in Japan, the '00s was thought of as a magical time, at least on the intertubes.

(The chart is about people born around 1995. The part with the cats, and the part with Ronald McDonald is in the '00s, when such people were in grades 1-6, and 7-9. It ends with the grey category at the bottom, when such people are done with college and started work. I think they argue '00s internet was best.)

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
9/11 really is where all our modern troubles began in a big way, we've been slowly, but surely, falling apart these last 20 years.

That's why I prefer the 2000s to today because it's a matter of degrees, the immediate aftermath wasn't as bad as the long-term effects.

At the time, I actually hated the pop culture of the 90’s - grunge, rap, Friends, Jim Carey comedies; but the past several years have made it seem like a golden age in comparison, to the point that I am now nostalgic for all that crap.
You're right, the 90s was lame in it's own way pop culture wise, I often noticed that as a kid in the latter half of the decade, watching 80s movies at the time like Goonies, Ghostbusters, Back to The Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, they were so much better than any similar contemporary movies I was seeing at the time which was usually garbage like the Roland Emmerich Godzilla, Michael Bay's Armageddon, crap like that.

The only major exceptions I saw being Men in Black, Starship Troopers, the Brendan Fraser The Mummy, The Truman Show and The Matrix, all of which were good, but still not quite 80s level (Starship Troopers is very close though, with the added bonus of being one of the first times I saw tits lol), there's also Galaxy Quest but that did come out at the tail end of the decade and I didn't see it until 2000, but it does count as a 90s movie.

The 90s was a good decade for animation both movies and TV and it was a good decade for "indie movies" ala Tarantino, but as far as live action big Hollywood movies go, while it started off strong (especially with Jurassic Park) for most of the decade it was pretty lame.

This applies not just to movies but to music and live action TV as well.

However what all 90s pop culture has in common, even the bad stuff, is it's all so incredibly innocent today, so profoundly naïve and that makes it charming today, you wonder what has happened to where our culture could once produce stuff like that but not anymore.

Maybe it’s the rise of woke combined with social media. The ever present fear that saying the wrong thing could cost you your job. I don’t remember that paranoia being as prevalent prior to Sept. 11. After that, you started seeing the fear creep in - first with watching what you joked about, or said at the airport (and god help you if you walked away from your luggage for few minutes). Now I have to shit poast anonymously on this site; just to say things everyone thinks, and actually used to be able to say freely.
9/11 made us a very paranoid, fearful society.

First it was fear about terrorism, now it's fear about "racism"

I don't miss those years a bit. 1990 onwards was just Clown World Lite until it went turbo in more recent times.

The decades I truly miss are the 70s and 80s.
You're not wrong, it was Clown World Lite, it's depressing to know I've lived my entire life in some version of Clown World.

In a fundamental way the US really lost it's way after the end of the 1980s, we had really seemed to crack the code back then, the confidence we had in ourselves and our culture back then was profound, but we let corruption set in, we allowed our confidence to be shook and we've been on a downward spiral ever since, with 9/11 being what really cranked up the heat.

But like I said, it's a matter of degrees, the rot started to set in back in the 90s, but it was so much milder than today, so much more deep below the surface, there was still a lot of holdover from good days of the USA throughout the 90s and even on into the 2000s, but starting around a decade ago or close to it, we really started to flat out collapse and here we are.

This is not doom posting though, this isn't an argument for despair, but it is a call to action, we do have our work cut out for us to try to fix our society and I do think we can do this.

JokahBaybee

kiwifarms.net
9/11 really is where all our modern troubles began in a big way, we've been slowly, but surely, falling apart these last 20 years.

That's why I prefer the 2000s to today because it's a matter of degrees, the immediate aftermath wasn't as bad as the long-term effects.

You're right, the 90s was lame in it's own way pop culture wise, I often noticed that as a kid in the latter half of the decade, watching 80s movies at the time like Goonies, Ghostbusters, Back to The Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, they were so much better than any similar contemporary movies I was seeing at the time which was usually garbage like the Roland Emmerich Godzilla, Michael Bay's Armageddon, crap like that.

The only major exceptions I saw being Men in Black, Starship Troopers, the Brendan Fraser The Mummy, The Truman Show and The Matrix, all of which were good, but still not quite 80s level (Starship Troopers is very close though, with the added bonus of being one of the first times I saw tits lol), there's also Galaxy Quest but that did come out at the tail end of the decade and I didn't see it until 2000, but it does count as a 90s movie.

The 90s was a good decade for animation both movies and TV and it was a good decade for "indie movies" ala Tarantino, but as far as live action big Hollywood movies go, while it started off strong (especially with Jurassic Park) for most of the decade it was pretty lame.

This applies not just to movies but to music and live action TV as well.

However what all 90s pop culture has in common, even the bad stuff, is it's all so incredibly innocent today, so profoundly naïve and that makes it charming today, you wonder what has happened to where our culture could once produce stuff like that but not anymore.

9/11 made us a very paranoid, fearful society.

First it was fear about terrorism, now it's fear about "racism"

You're not wrong, it was Clown World Lite, it's depressing to know I've lived my entire life in some version of Clown World.

In a fundamental way the US really lost it's way after the end of the 1980s, we had really seemed to crack the code back then, the confidence we had in ourselves and our culture back then was profound, but we let corruption set in, we allowed our confidence to be shook and we've been on a downward spiral ever since, with 9/11 being what really cranked up the heat.

But like I said, it's a matter of degrees, the rot started to set in back in the 90s, but it was so much milder than today, so much more deep below the surface, there was still a lot of holdover from good days of the USA throughout the 90s and even on into the 2000s, but starting around a decade ago or close to it, we really started to flat out collapse and here we are.

This is not doom posting though, this isn't an argument for despair, but it is a call to action, we do have our work cut out for us to try to fix our society and I do think we can do this.
But how? Every avenue we have is peanuts compared to what the ones ruining society have, where do we even begin?