Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s? -

Faket0Fake

ポニプニパニポニ歩いて行くよモニムニマニモニ毎日
kiwifarms.net
I did my growing up in the 90's and I miss parts of that. The early to mid 00's represent peaks of my life where I was achieving many things I wanted to do growing up so it holds a lot of memories. It was also a time where creativity and thought on the internet were at a high, things like Youtube and Newgrounds were full of cool things and there was a feeling of freedom online that you don't feel today. Some of it was bad but a lot of the internet was full of really cool people trying new things. It was my favorite time in anime too, lots of creativity and deep ideas compared to the splattering of isekai anime and Digibro pleasing moe-waifu garbage each season in the last 10 years.

I also miss old Tokyo too from when I was a student in Japan. In the early 00's it still wasn't a very mainstream tourist destination like it is now as being a nerd or a weaboo wasn't really seen as a cool thing until a good few years later. A lot less tourists and many areas were still what they were before they were made more tourist friendly due to a push to increase tourism with the whole "cool Japan" thing. I think like everywhere else the level of freedom and creativity left Tokyo in the 10's and places that used to be about that are tourist friendly shells of it's former self selling overpriced souvenirs to giggling Thai women and obnoxious Americans/French people.

Romper Stomper

kick a baby in the mouth and vomit
kiwifarms.net
I kinda wish I could've grown up in the 70s. Kids from all around a neighbourhood would actually hang out and play with each other, toys were more "dangerous" and you had to just not be stupid to avoid getting hurt, the nuclear family was (probably) much more of a thing, and growing up then would mean you get to come of age in the 80s, where computers were starting to get affordable mass produced, cars were getting way better and more computer-augmented, but not to the severe point its at today, as well as recovering from the stranglehold the 70s emission tech had on engines, and last but not least the wealth gap wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, (although it was on its way to becoming terrible).

I say that, but the 70s and 80s were pretty terrible in their own right, I just feel like to me personally it would've been more interesting, especially being a kid in the 70s. Guess I just liked hearing the stories from my mom and dad, and they seemed much better than what I dealt with.

CheezzyMach

Superior Tentacle Rapist
kiwifarms.net
I was an adult in the 2000s and I remember the clear precursors of all the stuff you mention being present. Third wave feminism was going strong. Protests had a growing "black bloc" group of violent agitators. Racial tensions didn't really escalate until Obama, but it started 2007-8ish. People had Bush Derangement Syndrome instead of TDS. After 9/11 there was a lot of real fear and chaos. I remember all of us being sent home from work and having to get loans to pay rent because the paychecks were not printed or sent while everything was shut down. And lots of truly terrifying false alarm or near miss follow up terroristic threats and incidents. Also 9/10/2001 was the last day of my adult life until circa 2016 that the economy was not utter shit. Most of that decade was spent scraping together funds from two or three odd gigs and shitty jobs and stressing out about health insurance premiums. In fact I did not have full, comprehensive insurance again until 2012.

The music and movies were way better, though, I will agree with that.
This is a good point I feel, in the 2000s our current hellscape was the counter culture or underground as it were.

It's why like Piss I'm optimistic about the 2020s and anti-woke sentiment going mainstream.

Although one huge benefit the 2000s had over now is corporations were only interested in money and didn't care who was paying them and weren't interested in playing politics. Unlike now where you have Disney,Sony and Warner insulting their customers and trying to play moral guardian.

Anonymous For This

Flying pierogis at vienna.
kiwifarms.net
I kinda wish I could've grown up in the 70s. Kids from all around a neighbourhood would actually hang out and play with each other, toys were more "dangerous" and you had to just not be stupid to avoid getting hurt, the nuclear family was (probably) much more of a thing, and growing up then would mean you get to come of age in the 80s, where computers were starting to get affordable mass produced, cars were getting way better and more computer-augmented, but not to the severe point its at today, as well as recovering from the stranglehold the 70s emission tech had on engines, and last but not least the wealth gap wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, (although it was on its way to becoming terrible).

I say that, but the 70s and 80s were pretty terrible in their own right, I just feel like to me personally it would've been more interesting, especially being a kid in the 70s. Guess I just liked hearing the stories from my mom and dad, and they seemed much better than what I dealt with.
My dad grew up in flyoverville in the 50s and 60s. To hear him tell it, the good times ended when Vietnam hit full swing. He was lucky to not get drafted (too short lol) but said America just wasn't the same during or after. Kind of like how the millennial generation took a hard left after 9/11.

Hearing stories about driving cars into lakes on a dare, blowing up tree stumps with dynamite, buying M1 carbines for dirt cheap, and having ad-hoc drag races on sections of unused country blacktop sounds better than my childhood or what my kids will have.

If asked what decade I miss, it would be the 90s. I grew up in flyoverville like my dad. He was a poor white hillbilly and one of his best friend's was a poor black hillbilly. Everyone likes to think fucking hillbillies are the sum cause of racism, but it's the fucking cities. Nobody gave two fucks if you were a coon or a redneck; if you could work your ass off, you were part of the community. I never looked at any of our Latino or black neighbors any differently from the white ones.

Now I can't go two minutes at my job without corporate trying to suck-start its own hard-on over inclusion and diversity.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Only thing I hated from the early 2000's was the shitty fashion from Eurotrash house music. Everyone in my city looked like shit with metallic fabrics and glitter everywhere.
I find early 2000s fashions charmingly stupid.

Let's hope the best for the 2020's.
Yes, let's really hope so.

Mostly the 90’s, but the early-mid 2000’s as well. I’m a sucker for nostalgia.
Nostalgia is one of the things that keep me going these days.

I am completely obsessed with the past, even when it's an era I wasn't alive for, I find it fun to imagine what life would have been like.

I'm not just talking the last few decades either, I even find myself wondering what life would have been like in ancient times as well, say ancient Greece or ancient Rome.

I did my growing up in the 90's and I miss parts of that. The early to mid 00's represent peaks of my life where I was achieving many things I wanted to do growing up so it holds a lot of memories. It was also a time where creativity and thought on the internet were at a high, things like Youtube and Newgrounds were full of cool things and there was a feeling of freedom online that you don't feel today. Some of it was bad but a lot of the internet was full of really cool people trying new things. It was my favorite time in anime too, lots of creativity and deep ideas compared to the splattering of isekai anime and Digibro pleasing moe-waifu garbage each season in the last 10 years.

I also miss old Tokyo too from when I was a student in Japan. In the early 00's it still wasn't a very mainstream tourist destination like it is now as being a nerd or a weaboo wasn't really seen as a cool thing until a good few years later. A lot less tourists and many areas were still what they were before they were made more tourist friendly due to a push to increase tourism with the whole "cool Japan" thing. I think like everywhere else the level of freedom and creativity left Tokyo in the 10's and places that used to be about that are tourist friendly shells of it's former self selling overpriced souvenirs to giggling Thai women and obnoxious Americans/French people.
Tokyo in the 2000s specifically holds a special fascination for me, I really wish there was some way I could have made it out there then.

My dad grew up in flyoverville in the 50s and 60s. To hear him tell it, the good times ended when Vietnam hit full swing. He was lucky to not get drafted (too short lol) but said America just wasn't the same during or after. Kind of like how the millennial generation took a hard left after 9/11.

Hearing stories about driving cars into lakes on a dare, blowing up tree stumps with dynamite, buying M1 carbines for dirt cheap, and having ad-hoc drag races on sections of unused country blacktop sounds better than my childhood or what my kids will have.

If asked what decade I miss, it would be the 90s. I grew up in flyoverville like my dad. He was a poor white hillbilly and one of his best friend's was a poor black hillbilly. Everyone likes to think fucking hillbillies are the sum cause of racism, but it's the fucking cities. Nobody gave two fucks if you were a coon or a redneck; if you could work your ass off, you were part of the community. I never looked at any of our Latino or black neighbors any differently from the white ones.

Now I can't go two minutes at my job without corporate trying to suck-start its own hard-on over inclusion and diversity.
Can you even imagine what America would be like if the Vietnam war had never happened?

I can't help but think we'd be living in the 1950s vision of the future, had the 60s gone better.

• Winner
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Webby's Boyfriend

I'm Webby
kiwifarms.net
The 2000s were pretty funny in terms of popculture, not toxic as today with politispergs, though music was already crap, but the internet was in its golden age - it is really depressing what the 'net has become in the last few years.

The 2010s felt pretty much the same and were cool too, only with more politics, until their mid, when politispergs went into overdrive when the SJW movement took motion with Gamergate and the guy with funny hair decided to run for president.

Since then, everything went down and I'd say that our world is now in decline in many ways (ecology, society, politics, economy etc.), the main exception being scientific advancements, especially in information technology.

Besides, films, music, books etc. really weren't better, it's just that crappy stuff is forgotten quickly, only what was good will be re-run for decades. Especially Western animation is now at its peak. In 20 years people will still watch the Marvel films and Adventure Time, while nobody is going to remember Nu Star Wars or MLP.

CheezzyMach

Superior Tentacle Rapist
kiwifarms.net
The 2000s were pretty funny in terms of popculture, not toxic as today with politispergs, though music was already crap, but the internet was in its golden age - it is really depressing what the 'net has become in the last few years.

The 2010s felt pretty much the same and were cool too, only with more politics, until their mid, when politispergs went into overdrive when the SJW movement took motion with Gamergate and the guy with funny hair decided to run for president.

Since then, everything went down and I'd say that our world is now in decline in many ways (ecology, society, politics, economy etc.), the main exception being scientific advancements, especially in information technology.

Besides, films, music, books etc. really weren't better, it's just that crappy stuff is forgotten quickly, only what was good will be re-run for decades. Especially Western animation is now at its peak. In 20 years people will still watch the Marvel films and Adventure Time, while nobody is going to remember Nu Star Wars or MLP.
Yeah 2015 is where everything went to shit.

So I'm guessing we won't see another cultural shift till 2024-25.

Webby's Boyfriend

I'm Webby
kiwifarms.net
Yeah 2015 is where everything went to shit.

So I'm guessing we won't see another cultural shift till 2024-25.
The rise of politics as a topic of relevance was triggered by the Great Recession of 2008. In much of the 2000s, people really didn't care for such things much, a common complaint was that people only cared for themselves and that hedonism and materialistic lifestyle choices were en vogue. So, I really think that it was quite a positive development that people started to get interested in politics more. Until in 2015, when the media decided to jump onto the woke bandwagon and a famous golden-wigged TV celebrity leaped into the political landscape, since then, politics became so unbelievable toxic and just exceptional.

And maybe it's also a bit autistic, I mean come on, as if idealistic teens who are fucked up with the world can really change something. :sadwaifu:

Last edited:

Webby's Boyfriend

I'm Webby
kiwifarms.net
No, 2014 was the turning point when everything went to shit.
I remember in 2013, when I read myself through creative writing guides for YA speculative fiction and a friend send me links to /pol/. The former introduced to me concepts like "everything is racist and sexist" while the latter were when I first encountered the term "alt-right".

sadbird

kiwifarms.net
the 00's were interesting because of the obsession with futuristic design all brought about by the turn of the millennium, and all the new rapidly evolving tech that came with it. I love looking back at it because the ideas people had were so pervasive through pretty much every aspect of life- which was also mixed in with 70's fashion trends because of boomers in the market. But what I find the most interesting about it is the difference between the optimism of the 00's and the 10's, that is to say the trends peaked and post 9/11 brought a swift end to that era.
We went from extreme optimism for the future and technological advance, to obsessing over collapse and deterioration.

Don't get me wrong I love broken down shit and old buildings and crumbled architecture. But when I think about the changes within the last near 2 decades it's depressing as fuck, accounting for how and why things changed.

Slappy McGherkin

Let me introduce you to coulrophobia.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is that you, Junior? Where in the hell have you been?

Your father is correct, to a large degree. I grew up at the tail-end of Happy Days and American Graffiti. People were different then. We socialized, knew our neighbors, made tree forts and had crabapple fights. Went to school dances. Teased the shit out of each other in real life, but remained friends no matter what. Perhaps much of our happiness was in the fact that we were so naive as kids. We weren't "protected" per se, but there was no 24/7 news cycle. No social media. No internet. We went outside and played and made our own fun, blissfully ignorant to the horrors today's kids see streamed live.

I never registered for the draft; it ended 01/73 and I graduated high school in '74. I played with the Hippies, protested the war in high school, but yes it all changed about that time period. What changed exactly? People's general trust of the government. Watergate, Nixon, scandals. You had absolute boneheads like Ford and Carter as presidents, then Reagan, which restored a lot of faith that the government could actually be trusted and do something. He got the USA more or less back on track. Bush, Clinton, Bush - the 2000s and while not as bad as the Carter era, still plenty of scandal. And 9/11 being the major factor that shaped the 2000s. The Patriot Act. Iraq. Again war. The mortgage meltdown. It's pretty obvious why the millenials tacked hard left.

I don't have a lot of fond memories of the 2000s. Just working my ass off, paying bills, keeping a roof over our head and raising four kids. I'm not sure what the 2020s will bring, but then again, I'm old enough that I honestly don't give a fuck. Y'all need to step up and figure it out because us old fucks are turning it all over to you. I play Grumpy Old Man on the Internet sometimes because so far, y'all seem content to sit on your ass in the basement and play video games and argue on the Intarwebs. About everything. Nothing personal, I see some of the same in my own kids, but they are now raising families and being successful at life. I'm sure y'all will, too (at some point).

In the immortal words of my 2000s hero Spongebob Squarepants -- "Good luck with that!"

MakeItRain

taste the waste
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I play Grumpy Old Man on the Internet sometimes because so far, y'all seem content to sit on your ass in the basement and play video games and argue on the Intarwebs. About everything. Nothing personal, I see some of the same in my own kids, but they are now raising families and being successful at life. I'm sure y'all will, too (at some point).
Go by what you see happening in the real lives of younger people (ie your kids), not what you perceive on the internet. I pay my bills and shitpost on the Farms from the toilet at my 8-5 job just like everyone else. Remember that what you see online tends to be a self-selecting group of people; if someone is endlessly arguing about intersectional LGBT racial politics on the internet they're probably the kind of person who has time to do that, it doesn't mean that every millenial is doing it. Most people I know only use social media to update baby pictures for grandma or aimlessly repost memes now and then.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino