Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s?

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

khaine

kiwifarms.net
Because of the Winter Olympics, I just watched Cool Runnings. That is a movie that could not be made today without being ruined. It has a highly diverse cast. The Jamacians have to overcome obstacles, and others do not like them, and yet race is never an issue. They are never told, because you are black you can't be a bobsleder. Instead, they are treated like shit because people feel they are making a mockery of their sport. Their efforts and achievements bring them respect, even though they still lose.

I miss that movies like this cannot be made today.

*EDIT* I know that Cool Runnings is from the early 90s, but I feel like until the mid 2000s a movie like that could have been made. Now, not so much *EDIT*

Last edited:

WULULULULU

I CLOAMK, I TWEEK, I KEEL
kiwifarms.net
People weren't hate fueled assholes back then for one thing, people just wanted to live their lives in peace, these days everything is all about this Great Crusade marching forever on.

That's one of the main things I miss about America of the past, that feeling of just being allowed to live your life in peace, now everywhere you look you're forced to think about the Great Crusade, you're reminded that the Great Crusade fucking hates you and wants you to be miserable.

You're literally told that if you're a white person, the only way to be "good" is to willingly and intentionally cripple your chances of success in life so others more deserving can have it in your place, fuck that and fuck you, says me, get the fuck out of my way and out of my hair.

Everywhere you look now, every advertisement, every piece of media and entertainment, it's all filled with the same message of "SUBMIT BEFORE DIVERSITY, WHITE MAN" and I'm just sick of it and miss the days before it.
Sadly, America isn't the only shithole with this attitude. Asia as a whole is beyond fucked with absurd superiority complexes mixed with actual killings because someone said bad shit while being drunk. Oh and China of course.

Jimmy Olsen

kiwifarms.net
I don't really miss being beat up in kindergarten, but at least they let me go there. Hard to enjoy the 2020s due to my place in the new normal. I'll start liking it more if universities, colleges, or workplaces ever becomes generous enough to grant entry to the un-inoculated lowlives.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The 00's sucked. the 10's were great.
The 10s was when almost everything that was cool and good about America started to be systemically broken down piece by piece, the steep, sharp decline of this country from 2012 to 2022 boggles the mind.

But it's a matter of degrees, the first half of the decade wasn't so bad in hindsight, even though Woke was a very clear and present danger by 2015, but the tonal shift that happened when Trump got the nomination in 2016 is when things really started to slide into hell, prior to that the Woke would still communicate with you online, they'd still debate you, sure, they'd talk to like you're an idiot, but the idea was "oh, sweetie, you're just misinformed", but once people started to take Trump seriously there a shift towards "there's no more room for debate or talk, you're either with us or against us" ironically echoing the statement made by Dubya.

But nowadays I really look back on the early 2010s with increased fondness.

NewRetroVagina23

kiwifarms.net
The 10s was when almost everything that was cool and good about America started to be systemically broken down piece by piece, the steep, sharp decline of this country from 2012 to 2022 boggles the mind.

But it's a matter of degrees, the first half of the decade wasn't so bad in hindsight, even though Woke was a very clear and present danger by 2015, but the tonal shift that happened when Trump got the nomination in 2016 is when things really started to slide into hell, prior to that the Woke would still communicate with you online, they'd still debate you, sure, they'd talk to like you're an idiot, but the idea was "oh, sweetie, you're just misinformed", but once people started to take Trump seriously there a shift towards "there's no more room for debate or talk, you're either with us or against us" ironically echoing the statement made by Dubya.

But nowadays I really look back on the early 2010s with increased fondness.
Dude, I think you're just young and live in a slightly more affluent part of the country. For my part? Every tiny scrap of economic prosperity and social mobility evaporated around my area after the '08 crash and never returned. More and more businesses leave the area every year, nearly every Mom 'n Pop joint that sets up is gone 6 months later, even the local Walmart is starting to look extremely shabby. The largest employers in the town are the hospital, the saw mill, and Walmart.

As far as nationally? Even pre-9/11 I recall all the Old Timers speaking with this small desperate undertone in their voices about how we didn't make shit anymore and that a country cannot prosper when it makes nothing tangible or of real value. They wanted to know where the hell all the manufacturing jobs were and would throw their vote behind anyone (Democrat or Republican) that even pretended to offer a straight answer or have a clue.

Fact is, things have been looking distinctly ugly since the end of the 90's when even the last of the computer manufacturers finished shipping all their shit to Asia, leaving nothing but the post-Industrial hellscape you see before you today.

p4ddys

Shall I disrobe so it's memorable?
kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure I just miss being a kid and the nostalgia is coming from that rather than anything else.
Maybe if I was a kid in the mid 2010s I would miss that too.

But oh boy, do I miss the late 90s/early 2000s and the built-in audio player in my CD-ROM
main-qimg-75b2792d88c52bed0a7f81e84843e0e9-lq.jpg

ToroidalBoat

wat
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
#Metaverse | Walmart VR Virtual Shopping Experience SXSW - YouTube

Remember when this wasn't a thing back in the '00s?

some choice comments:
Lil Báthory hace 1 mes said:
I’ve always wanted an online shopping experience that’s just as creepy, awkward and time consuming as an irl trip to my local grocery store
Key Strix hace 1 mes said:
Walmart knowing how much food you have in the fridge at home is the creepiest thing I've seen in a while.
Allan Second hace 1 mes said:
This is literally just the inconvenience of physical shopping combined with the lack of interaction of online shopping. The worst of both worlds.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dude, I think you're just young and live in a slightly more affluent part of the country. For my part? Every tiny scrap of economic prosperity and social mobility evaporated around my area after the '08 crash and never returned. More and more businesses leave the area every year, nearly every Mom 'n Pop joint that sets up is gone 6 months later, even the local Walmart is starting to look extremely shabby. The largest employers in the town are the hospital, the saw mill, and Walmart.

As far as nationally? Even pre-9/11 I recall all the Old Timers speaking with this small desperate undertone in their voices about how we didn't make shit anymore and that a country cannot prosper when it makes nothing tangible or of real value. They wanted to know where the hell all the manufacturing jobs were and would throw their vote behind anyone (Democrat or Republican) that even pretended to offer a straight answer or have a clue.

Fact is, things have been looking distinctly ugly since the end of the 90's when even the last of the computer manufacturers finished shipping all their shit to Asia, leaving nothing but the post-Industrial hellscape you see before you today.
Nah, things were great until recently. Quit being old lmao

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

The '08 crash is definitely one of the fundamental reasons we're in the state we're in today, don't get me wrong, I noticed a downturn with everything after 2008 as well, we've been on a downward spiral ever since, but again, it's a matter of degrees, the line started going down in 2008, but that means it wasn't too low for a while there, but now after almost 14 years of the line going down, things have gotten real bad.

But yeah, there was a huge downturn that happened in and after 2008, I noticed that at the time, that was when society became fundamentally broken and what we've been doing ever since is trying to piece the broken pieces back together like Humpty Dumpty but the more time goes on the harder it becomes as things only get more fractured and we start to run out of glue.

at this point the only thing that makes me happy is seeing the world slowly burning in a literal sense
We're living through genuinely apocalyptic times, society is literally falling apart.

The millenarianism of the 90s, people that thought the new millennium meant the end of the world, turns out they were right, it just isn't an overnight thing but a long, slow process.

Last edited:

RainwaterDrop

🌺𝒜𝓁𝑜𝒽𝒶 𝐻𝒶𝓌𝒶𝒾𝒾🌺
kiwifarms.net
One man's treasure is another's trash and vice-versa. I love chicken confit, but the man whose wife died from choking on it probably hates it. It all depends on the circumstances!

In my view, how one views a certain period depends entirely on their experiences, but there are points to be made about the spirit of the times of the decade. I do miss the 00's, not only because they were enjoyable times in my life, but also because I miss living in a time where politics, while an important part of society and present on the daily lives of the citizens, weren't omnipresent. Where tribalistic, childish political zealots were present yet not as influential as they are in this day and age, where people had the maturity to know that a joke is a joke and that treating your fellow man with respect is more important than purifying yourself of sins you didn't commit, for the sake of unattainable, abstract goals!

I grew jaded as time passed, I must confess. In this pessimism I find myself turning to older works and apolitical entertainment to escape from this World I live in, but it's always worthy to remember that, in the case of a man with a gun pointed to his head, maintaining hope is only a fool's move as the bullet is out of the chamber - as long as the trigger isn't pulled, there is hope to be had. Many have radicalized themselves in this polarized, tribalistic times, but just as many grew to reject extremism, myself being an example. Trends fade and, eventually, sanity will prevail again!

NoonmanR

kiwifarms.net
No not at all, things were never really the same after 2001. Its the point where even as a kid i noticed everything was getting worse as the 00s progressed. It's just the 10s make it look much better by comparison because its when the faggotry we have today reached peak mainstream.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As I mentioned before, one big radical difference between now and then is that back then most people just lived their lives, you worked your job, you tried to earn what you could, you created relationships, you tried to be happy, entertainment was, ya know, entertainment, something you did for fun and rarely anything more.

Now everyone is expected to fight for the Great Cause, everyone's life is expected to revolve around it, not yourself and entertainment is just an extension of the Great Cause.

I mean you had movements and causes that people fought for back then like the anti-war movement, which was the closest equivalent, but like, while it was common to see Bush bashing and the like, it wasn't literally ubiquitous like Wokeism today, Nike wasn't selling shirts that said "no blood for oil!" and Target didn't have employees wearing "Bush lied, people died" pins.