Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s? -

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Tanith’s Worst and Only
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, that was when the SJW movement made its jump from Tumblr safe spaces into mainstream politics. But only in 2015 did it gain near-total cultural dominance.
I weirdly missed it. I was mostly sequestered in my own little internet corner, and emerged blinking at the sun in a new, post Gamer Gate world.
From what I knew, it was basically a thing about integrity in journalism, then one side cried sexist, and then 4chan went, “We’ll show you sexist.” And then GG talk was banned from 4chan, and then 8chan got involved. It’s a massive saga that shaped today’s internet.

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
kiwifarms.net
While I admit my rosy view of the early 2000's and mid-2000's is because I was a kid back then, it's kind of weird that I thought the 2000's sucked at the time, especially during the late 2000's, around the time of the Great Recession and my high school years.

In the early 2010's, I was initially optimistic that things would get better (for context, I graduated high school in 2011) but I was wrong. At first it wasn't so bad and I have fond memories of 2012, but by 2013-2014 things really did take a turn for the worse.

I think a lot of this 2000's nostalgia is due to how much better 2000-2007 was in hindsight compared to the chaotic and severely polarized 2010's. This is especially true for Zoomers and even the younger Millennials like myself.

I've noticed 2000's nostalgia is starting to pop up on the internet more often, kind of like how 90's nostalgia was in the early 2010's.

80's and 90's nostalgia are still predominant, but I think that even with things like 9/11 and The War On Terror taken into account, the pre-Recession 2000's will be looked on fondly, especially as more Zoomers start to enter adulthood.

I think nostalgia for the 2000's will be viewed in ways similar to 1980's nostalgia. The 80's had a lot of bad things at the time such as the Cold War, the Satanic Panic, AIDS, and the crack epidemic, but there was also a lot of memorable pop culture from that decade as well. We see similar patterns with 1960's nostalgia among the Boomers.

The rampant excess and conspicuous consumption of the 2000's is maligned now, but it's not that much different than the "Greed Is Good" attitude of the 80's.

Some eras are basically perfect for nostalgia when you look at them from a historical point of view, such as the 1950's or the 1990's, with vibrant pop culture and a stable political or economic climate.

Some eras seem like they were bad at the time but become nostalgia magnets anyway, such as the 1960's or 1980's, and to a lesser extent, the 1970's. I think the 2000's will fit in this category.

Other eras are seen as so unstable and bad that there isn't much nostalgia for them at all in the mainstream culture. Prime examples include the 1910's, 1930's, and the first half of the 1940's. Coincidentally, these eras coincided with World War I, The Great Depression, and World War II.

I'm not sure if the 2010's will ever have a nostalgia movement in the 2030's or 2040's, but there was a 70's nostalgia boom in the 90's despite the 1970's being infamous for poverty, rampant crime, and a similarly polarized political climate. So, who knows?

My best guess is that 2010's nostalgia will be a lot like 1970's nostalgia. It will definitely be a thing, but it will be a much shorter-lived movement and not as ingrained or as widespread as nostalgia for the 1950's, 1980's, or 1990's are in the American cultural consciousness.

WhoBusTank69

kiwifarms.net
My best guess is that 2010's nostalgia will be a lot like 1970's nostalgia. It will definitely be a thing, but it will be a much shorter-lived movement and not as ingrained or as widespread as nostalgia for the 1950's, 1980's, or 1990's are in the American cultural consciousness.
The Tale of the '10s will be summarized by the death of Harambe being the first domino leading up to the election of Donald Trump and the complete and absolute integration of the internet into everyday life. Also Gamergate, because that was a thing and you haven't thought about it enough recently.

Webby's Boyfriend

I'm Webby
kiwifarms.net
I miss law enforcement being effectively useless regarding online activity. Unless you were doing something the FBI cared about nobody gave a fuck or were competent enough to do anything about it.
I knew a guy back then who got himself arrested after he talked online on a message board about doing a school shooting (he really suffered from mentall illness), that was like 2008 or '09.

WinterMoonsLight

J'ai une âme solitaire
kiwifarms.net
I miss law enforcement being effectively useless regarding online activity. Unless you were doing something the FBI cared about nobody gave a fuck or were competent enough to do anything about it.
Seriously. Someone called you a fag or told you to kill yourself, you ignored them and moved on, or you insulted them back. Nowadays, you tell someone to stop acting like a bitch, they wage a campaign to ruin your life or REEEE to the cops about "cyberbullying"

It's a meme thing to say anymore, but Facebook is a huge part of why this paradigm shift in online mentality happened.

Webby's Boyfriend

I'm Webby
kiwifarms.net
Seriously. Someone called you a fag or told you to kill yourself, you ignored them and moved on, or you insulted them back. Nowadays, you tell someone to stop acting like a bitch, they wage a campaign to ruin your life or REEEE to the cops about "cyberbullying"

It's a meme thing to say anymore, but Facebook is a huge part of why this paradigm shift in online mentality happened.
Any normal 2000s person with a life wouldn't have raised an eyebrow if some random idiot in an IRC chat called him a fag.

CheezzyMach

Superior Tentacle Rapist
kiwifarms.net
Well, to call it a movement is probably not correct, but you can go on any youtube video that's from 2011 and 2012 and find a few kids wanting to go back to those years for some reason.
Hell I've seen people get nostalgic over 2016.
2011 and 2012 I can understand since those were the last years before the current ultra PC zeitgeist started going full speed ahead.

But who the fuck feels nostalgic for the clown car that was the 2016 election?

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
kiwifarms.net
Well, to call it a movement is probably not correct, but you can go on any youtube video that's from 2011 and 2012 and find a few kids wanting to go back to those years for some reason.
Hell I've seen people get nostalgic over 2016.
Eh, I can actually understand being at least a little nostalgic for 2010-2012, especially if you're in certain age groups lhe younger end of the Zoomers.

In retrospect, 2010-2012 were sort of this weird "calm before the storm" moment compared to what would happen from 2014 onward. It was a strange in-between time where the worst of the Recession was over and the public as a whole had not quite yet realized what a terrible Monkey's Paw that social media and Web 2.0 turned out to be. Occupy Wall Street gave us a sense of initial hope that we might see some major reform and boy, were we wrong on that one!

See, Occupy Wall Street was in many ways the main progenitor of the modern SJW zeitgeist as we know it today but it wasn't obvious to anyone on the ground level at the time, at least not until it was already dying out in mid-to-late 2012 and when it did finally burn out, a lot of people shrugged and didn't think much of it at the time, unless you were living in a very left-leaning area like Portland or the Bay.

2013 had some bad moments like the Snowden leaks and the Trayvon Martin media circus that in retrospect were the first real warning signs of what was to come in 2014 and onward.

troon patrol

Nazi Ghost of Scott Weiland
kiwifarms.net
I knew a guy back then who got himself arrested after he talked online on a message board about doing a school shooting (he really suffered from mentall illness), that was like 2008 or '09.
Well yeah that's FBI territory, even back then alphabet gang would knock on your door.

Anyone old enough to remember TOTSE, CDC, THE HIVE? Meth recipes, converting AR-15s to full auto, synthesizing high explosives, ID theft, CC dumps. Real banned/hidden info that shit dissapeared post 9/11 and IP adresses started getting subpoenaed...

• Informative
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Drunk and Pour

kiwifarms.net
It's the cruel reality of aging. You're most likely to remember the past more fondly than the present. I hated high school, but I wish I was in that time again when MTV was cool and I liked art and music again. 9/11 sucked, but I had fun drinking, smoking, and still having some sense of job security. Then the recession of 2008 hit. So yeah, I kind of miss it. But I wonder how hard reality is going to hit kids of today and if they will look back on these days with fond memories.

WhoIsSutterKane

I think, therefore you are.
kiwifarms.net
I miss the 90's more. Though I guess I would re-do high school (graduated 2006) mostly because I realize I missed out on a lot of pussy that I could have gotten but I was oblivious lol

• Feels
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Faket0Fake

ポニプニパニポニ歩いて行くよモニムニマニモニ毎日
kiwifarms.net
I remember when extreme sports such as skateboarding, snowboarding, and biking was the craze then. I guess it encouraged a sense of athleticism while being "cool".
Also encouraged a lot more injuries and learning to push through it. The paper bag generation could probably use some outdoor activities to toughen them up.

It was nice when Police did the thing you'd expect and laughed you out the building if you came in with screenshots of mean words said over the internet. Now they send out an inquisition and spend thousands of tax payer money to better track down bad words on the internet to the one who said them.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino