Does anyone else genuinely miss the 2000s?

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

DiscoRodeo

kiwifarms.net
Another thing to add to your comment is the death of subcultures. Back in the 2000s and before, you had various subcultures like goths, emos, scenes or punks but ever since the wide spread of social media, subcultures have slowly died or outright disappeared.
Emo and scene thrived on social media, but a special distinction to be made was that social media at the time was much less engrained in every day life, and being terminally online was much more niche (before smartphones). Myspace, facebook, vampirefreaks, last.fm, gaia, these subcultures required online to really function and thrive.
What makes them different is that they also had real life presence as well. Current trends, do not.

I always believe that for a subculture to be authentic, one thing that it must follow is that the people dont just dress a certain way for a camera, but that its the same clothing they wear every day. Anything else is a larp or exploiting an aesthetic. People today, in the extremes, seem to fit this premisis more- even with "punks", most aesthetics are just for instagram shots and people will just wear whatever otherwise. Most influencers with "alt" styles will wear things for a video, but not on the street.

Online scene culture kind of mutated into sea, slime, or ice punk in the early 2010s, and then vaporwave came from that- but it really died out there. Thats honestly the last unique "fashion" subculture that I can think of.

Maybe you could claim current "cottagecore" as this, or as an ironic new incarnation of mods, but Im really tired of nostalgia trends in fashion, tbh. The only really interesting new fashion trend is maybe gopnik shit.

Headshotmaster138

kiwifarms.net
You're very right actually. I've seen a push for the e-girls or e-boys subculture in social media platforms like tiktok but I have never seen that shit out in public unless it's in a very rare occasion so it leads me to believe that these people just do it for likes on tiktok and nothing more. Another thing I forgot to mention in my previous comment is, music. Every subculture from the greasers all the way to the Emos have music associated with them. Hell, the music created the subculture while the fashion came much later. What does E-girls and E-people have? not much unless you want to count soundcloud rappers. I never heard of cottagecore but considering I never seen out in the real world but I'm going to assume it's a larp. I also hate nostalgia trends in fashion as well my dude.

DiscoRodeo

kiwifarms.net
You're very right actually. I've seen a push for the e-girls or e-boys subculture in social media platforms like tiktok but I have never seen that shit out in public unless it's in a very rare occasion so it leads me to believe that these people just do it for likes on tiktok and nothing more. Another thing I forgot to mention in my previous comment is, music. Every subculture from the greasers all the way to the Emos have music associated with them. Hell, the music created the subculture while the fashion came much later. What does E-girls and E-people have? not much unless you want to count soundcloud rappers. I never heard of cottagecore but considering I never seen out in the real world but I'm going to assume it's a larp. I also hate nostalgia trends in fashion as well my dude.
I see cottagecore out in the wild, but honestly its less of a subculture, and more of a larp than anything else. I would call it a subculture in the sense that you do see influencers, "special people" theres an aesthetic with it, you may have some more folky music, etc. They do have a lifestyle change in a sense (people who actually go to the cottage or farm)

but Id call it a larp because its literally just washed out people in their mid 20s who have to become an adult making a big issue of it. Its like the zoomer or young millennial version of hippying out, except instead of dreadlocks its a hobbit aesthetic.

"Ill wear checkered pants, a vest, and tweed and get chickens in my backyard!"

So subculture enough, but shallow tbh, and shallow isnt a problem unto itself, but these people usually have no self awareness of how cheap and unoriginal what theyre doing really is

Headshotmaster138

kiwifarms.net
I see cottagecore out in the wild, but honestly its less of a subculture, and more of a larp than anything else. I would call it a subculture in the sense that you do see influencers, "special people" theres an aesthetic with it, you may have some more folky music, etc. They do have a lifestyle change in a sense (people who actually go to the cottage or farm)

but Id call it a larp because its literally just washed out people in their mid 20s who have to become an adult making a big issue of it. Its like the zoomer or young millennial version of hippying out, except instead of dreadlocks its a hobbit aesthetic.

"Ill wear checkered pants, a vest, and tweed and get chickens in my backyard!"

So subculture enough, but shallow tbh, and shallow isnt a problem unto itself, but these people usually have no self awareness of how cheap and unoriginal what theyre doing really is
It's a super weird subculture and reminds me of that tradcon meme of that blond wojak. What's next? Having people dress up like it's the 1950s? Then again, Zoomers are trying to bring back the mall goths from the late 90s to early 00s so anything is possible these days.

As for the lifestyle change, I see that as pure larping as most of them are from the suburbs or city folk who romanticize rural life which is very ironic considering they look down upon people like that and say shit like fly over states.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
. What does E-girls and E-people have?
e-girls would wear a nirvana or black metal t-shirt without even knowing those are bands. its a costume, closely associated with whores because they realized sometime in the last decade that the "gamer, goth, cosplay"girl is a high demand niche and they want simpbux

Its very sad when you come across as a poser even compared to EMOS

Headshotmaster138

kiwifarms.net
e-girls would wear a nirvana or black metal t-shirt without even knowing those are bands. its a costume, closely associated with whores because they realized sometime in the last decade that the "gamer, goth, cosplay"girl is a high demand niche and they want simpbux

Its very sad when you come across as a poser even compared to EMOS
I'm a metal fan and it's very easy to tell apart a legit metal fan and a poser. There was countless times where I got quizzed on by other metal fans because I wore my Bathory hoodie and I answered the questions because I know my shit and we talked about our favorite metal bands and albums. E-girls, on the other hand, will bitch about how you are gatekeeping them or say you don't need to listen to their music but like the T-shirt because of the "aesthetic" That's why I have no issue with gatekeeping people like that.

Oglooger

One of few based™ oldfags
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
e-girls would wear a nirvana or black metal t-shirt without even knowing those are bands.
Now that's a trend that I remember dating back to 2010, if not earlier. Samething it was woth video game shirts, and I remember some girls complaining about being quizzed by people for that.

Headshotmaster138

kiwifarms.net
Now that's a trend that I remember dating back to 2010, if not earlier. Samething it was woth video game shirts, and I remember some girls complaining about being quizzed by people for that.
The fuck were they expecting to happen? Not only that but gamers would be happy to see a girl who is into gaming despite what a feminists' says otherwise.

Samson Pumpkin Jr.

kiwifarms.net
It's a super weird subculture and reminds me of that tradcon meme of that blond wojak. What's next? Having people dress up like it's the 1950s? Then again, Zoomers are trying to bring back the mall goths from the late 90s to early 00s so anything is possible these days.

As for the lifestyle change, I see that as pure larping as most of them are from the suburbs or city folk who romanticize rural life which is very ironic considering they look down upon people like that and say shit like fly over states.
I'm glad you're open-minded enough to see the appeal of our lifestyle! It can be a lot of fun, and it's really not that different from dressing up like it's the 1950s. After all, Zoomers are just trying to bring back the mall goths from the late 90s to early 00s. And as for rural life, I think it's actually pretty cool and down-to-earth. Sure, we may not have all the conveniences of city living, but that's part of what makes it so special.

Headshotmaster138

kiwifarms.net
How come Zoomers have this unnatural obsessions with the 2000s? I understand if it is the younger zoomers like those born in the late 90s but I see all these 2000s nostalgia are coming from zoomers born in the mid to late 00s. Ironically, they would never survive due how Anti-PC that decade was.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How come Zoomers have this unnatural obsessions with the 2000s? I understand if it is the younger zoomers like those born in the late 90s but I see all these 2000s nostalgia are coming from zoomers born in the mid to late 00s. Ironically, they would never survive due how Anti-PC that decade was.
There's a mysticism to the first decade of your life no matter when you were born, as you're new to the world and see all sorts of fleeting stuff that you can't make heads or tails of while you're still very young

Oglooger

One of few based™ oldfags
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
same reason everyone claimed to be a 90's kid in the late 2000's

S@credC

kiwifarms.net
The scary thing is it really makes you wonder that if the 2010s makes you miss the 2000s, what might be going on in the 2020s to make you miss the 2010s?

Well, that aged like milk.

Just found this thread. Yes, I definitely miss the 2000s. That was all my teenage years, so it was still rough, but looking back, it was still a fun decade (for the most part). There was still a sense that everything would work out. Now you look everywhere and there seems to be no respite. Even the pop culture can't provide happy escapism. Yeesh.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
insert "everything was better when you were 12" meme

but the truth is everything from every decade was always shit
Sure, to an extent, but the last decade's been especially shit with the endless divisiveness and stagnant culture. I don't blame anyone for latching onto any time of their life from before 2014. The modern era is uniquely terrible for absolutely every single person alive. Even black people.

Tacitus Kilgore

kiwifarms.net
Not really. I know I don't much. The only thing I miss about the 2000's is that it didn't seem as shitty as things are now. Things are pretty terrible now in many ways. One of them being culturally. Though I try and shield myself from it as much as possible. Mostly by refusing to engage in it. But I thought the 90's were pretty shitty and so were the early mid and late 2000's. The 2010's weren't any better. But nothing can be as shitty as the last 10 years. I said it before, and I will say it again the US peaked culturally in the 80's. It was the golden era of US pop culture. Everything else after that was in decline. But the US is a country in decline and that's what happens with countries in decline. Usually everything goes to shit.

If you look at all those nostalgia stuff which became a big thing with Millennials. Other generations have had nostalgia, but Millennials seem to be the generation that went for it in a big way. If you look at what they are nostalgic for it's for times when they were kids or teenagers. They especially seem to be nostalgic for the times before they were adults. It's pretty sad when you think about it. If anyone remembers being a kid most kids want to grow up as fast as they can and become adults. Being adult means you have more freedom at least to a kid or teenager it does. But the world has made life so shitty for adults these days all the Millennials sit around wishing they could go back to the time when they were kids or teenagers. There also seems to be this mindset that things were better back when they were kids. It's mostly because they were kids or teens and didn't have to deal with the adult world. Though the adult world has gotten progressively worse over time.

Headshotmaster138

kiwifarms.net
Not really. I know I don't much. The only thing I miss about the 2000's is that it didn't seem as shitty as things are now. Things are pretty terrible now in many ways. One of them being culturally. Though I try and shield myself from it as much as possible. Mostly by refusing to engage in it. But I thought the 90's were pretty shitty and so were the early mid and late 2000's. The 2010's weren't any better. But nothing can be as shitty as the last 10 years. I said it before, and I will say it again the US peaked culturally in the 80's. It was the golden era of US pop culture. Everything else after that was in decline. But the US is a country in decline and that's what happens with countries in decline. Usually everything goes to shit.

If you look at all those nostalgia stuff which became a big thing with Millennials. Other generations have had nostalgia, but Millennials seem to be the generation that went for it in a big way. If you look at what they are nostalgic for it's for times when they were kids or teenagers. They especially seem to be nostalgic for the times before they were adults. It's pretty sad when you think about it. If anyone remembers being a kid most kids want to grow up as fast as they can and become adults. Being adult means you have more freedom at least to a kid or teenager it does. But the world has made life so shitty for adults these days all the Millennials sit around wishing they could go back to the time when they were kids or teenagers. There also seems to be this mindset that things were better back when they were kids. It's mostly because they were kids or teens and didn't have to deal with the adult world. Though the adult world has gotten progressively worse over time.
You're in luck, the 80s are coming back in the form of a gas crisis and recession.

Vril-Dame vom Aldebaran

Dr. Axel Stoll Ultras
kiwifarms.net
I do miss some things about the 2000s but that's more about me being a teenager then and still discovering the world. I found a lot of cool 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s things during my teens so for me those are things I discovered in the 2000s. But when I look at the contemporary pop culture of that decade... most of it was already bad.

I guess video games were better. We got Deus Ex and Morrowind which I still love to this day. But those were the early years of the decade, when I look at games after 2005 or so... it already starts getting bad.

That said, I'm glad I was a teenager in the 2000s and not the current year, because back then everything was still organic and in person. Became a goth because I loved the aesthetic, then a metalhead because they got better music, went to clubs with the girls to dance through the night, met with the nerdy boys because they supplied me with burned CDs (back then even piracy was physical!), even played some D&D in a smelly little shop frequented by all kinds of weirdos.

The internet existed but it wasn't as mainstream as it is today. Our phones were Nokia bricks, good enough to call for arranging real life dates but not much else. Social interaction and cultural discovery was still pretty much in person. You found a group of people who liked the same stuff as you, then you shared your favorite music, movies, games, books etc with each other. Even single player games were a more social experience than multiplayer games are today. I remember sharing in-game discoveries with my best friend and we'd exchange tips on good strategies and cool locations we found.

Oh, and nobody back then was "ironic" about their interests. We genuinely loved the stuff we were into. The Metallica vs Megadeth arguments were savage.

Headshotmaster138

kiwifarms.net
I do miss some things about the 2000s but that's more about me being a teenager then and still discovering the world. I found a lot of cool 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s things during my teens so for me those are things I discovered in the 2000s. But when I look at the contemporary pop culture of that decade... most of it was already bad.

I guess video games were better. We got Deus Ex and Morrowind which I still love to this day. But those were the early years of the decade, when I look at games after 2005 or so... it already starts getting bad.

That said, I'm glad I was a teenager in the 2000s and not the current year, because back then everything was still organic and in person. Became a goth because I loved the aesthetic, then a metalhead because they got better music, went to clubs with the girls to dance through the night, met with the nerdy boys because they supplied me with burned CDs (back then even piracy was physical!), even played some D&D in a smelly little shop frequented by all kinds of weirdos.

The internet existed but it wasn't as mainstream as it is today. Our phones were Nokia bricks, good enough to call for arranging real life dates but not much else. Social interaction and cultural discovery was still pretty much in person. You found a group of people who liked the same stuff as you, then you shared your favorite music, movies, games, books etc with each other. Even single player games were a more social experience than multiplayer games are today. I remember sharing in-game discoveries with my best friend and we'd exchange tips on good strategies and cool locations we found.

Oh, and nobody back then was "ironic" about their interests. We genuinely loved the stuff we were into. The Metallica vs Megadeth arguments were savage.
Your comment is actually making me miss the 2000s even more now.

Last edited: