Doesn't anyone care about US history at all anymore?

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

albert the programmer

Computer programmer and Layne Staley fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If anything, they also don’t teach people about slavery was not just associated with American history – it happened all over the globe with Arabs, the Irish, The Africans, etc.

I may not be the biggest expert on World History, but I miss the days when we were allowed to talk about the Tiananmen Square incident on the same page we talk about say, for example, Black Americans that encouraged the young generation to get into STEM.

College education is making more people subservient than actually knowledgeable, and the destabilization process is a real thing.

Still Anonymous For This

I've never even been to Vienna.
kiwifarms.net
Was a high school/middle school social studies teacher. Left teaching.

Because they don't teach history. They haven't for YEARS now. And you're not allowed to teach it. Only thing you're allowed to teach is: Degenerate ghey shit, muh eleventy gorillion, and ONLY BIX NOODS were enslaved. ONLY BIX NOODS, get that other crap out your mouf.

My district had a general arrow of time. The arrow of time was blank save the years and major things like the Industrial Revolution, for example. It was up to the teacher to create curriculum to fit on the arrow of time. But here's some major problems explaining why you can't teach history anymore:

* SIP days, snow days, lockdowns eating into class instruction
* Bix noods shitting up your class. Most students cannot read at their grade level, or at all
* Same with the other races
* Bound by state law to teach JOO shit for a mandated minimum number of days
* Same with ONLY NIGGERS were enslaved, goy! ONLY NIGGERS
* PARCC
* DBQ instruction, including basic bitch English class shit that needs to stay in English class
* Fucking bell ringer assignments. In my building they were practically mandated
* The district no longer issues text books to take home. Yep, I had to LOCK THEM UP and re-distribute them each day

And so on and so on...

When I was a kid, the one thing my mom would never balk at buying for me was history books. I was a voracious reader; my first trip to the local Public Library was a real eye-opener for me. I checked out everything from books on Erwin Rommel to Genghis Khan. I was obsessed with history and to this day I have a fairly substantial collection of history books focused from the 1600s up until the Cold War. This got me into historical fiction, where I fell in love with Sharpe and the Napoleonic era and Tom Clancy's Cold War thrillers. Red Storm Rising is still an all-time favorite read that I'll blitz through every two-three years.

My sophomore year of high school I was given the opportunity to take AP World History. Instead of focusing on learning about why Rome fell or why ancient China was so successful, we spent 90% of our instruction time learning how to do Data Based Questions. It was less about learning the history and more about knowing how to pass the state test at the end of the year. Before I got my first lesson in 'college history', I wanted nothing more in my life than to be a college professor or a niche historian talking about Cold War tank development or the changes in warfare during the 1500-1600s. Instead I got an education on DBQs, Jews, joggers, and why Native Americans are 110% never at fault for their own autism.

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some US history I read about, some US history I was there for. Yeah, I care.
Same here. We're different era. I grew up in a very history-rich area, near Philadelphia. There was something about standing where Washington crossed the Delaware, or at Valley Forge. Indepence Hall or Gettysburg as a kid and imagining in my mind what took place during those events. You could literally live, breathe and feel the history of this country and it's founding and strife. It was a good upbringing and always fascinated me and provided some pride, not derision about this country and how America came to be.

I find it very disappointing today how history is being rewritten and torn apart to emphasize only the bad things that happened to fit the agenda of race, gender/sexuality and borders no one will enforce.

The real answer remains the same - those that don't know or understand history are doomed to repeat it. History repeats itself simply because nobody listened the first time.

Maurice Caine

I owe ya one.
kiwifarms.net
I remember the day quite well. I was in 3rd grade. The teachers all left to meet, then told us to gather our things and that the school bus would we be taking us home immediately. Us kids had no idea what was going on, but several of the teachers were crying. I got off the bus and walked in the front door and found my mom sitting on the couch, crying and sobbing, with the TV on. All she could say is "They shot him, oh my god, they killed him!"

She loved President Kennedy. We had a picture of him on the wall of our home.

The next few weeks were very dark. We had to do drop, tuck and roll drills and hide under our desks every day at school. Everyone believed a nuclear war was about to break out. Very troubling times and one of the things from my youth I'll never forget.
how old are you nigga

Maurice Caine

I owe ya one.
kiwifarms.net
Said earlier in this thread -- 66. And for what it's worth, I'm as white as the Coppertone Girl's ass although we're all niggas on the back of this bus.
no offense but ain't you a little too old to be posting on the farms with a ricky and morten or whatever avatar in here

LeChampion1992

The true Le Champion
kiwifarms.net
Honestly I have seen in real time the purposeful dumbing down of our history either in order to promote social justice or simply to lower standards so everyone passes.

Case in point I remember older textbooks on world history and American history offering nuance and reasoning to issues of the time. My sister's 10th grade world history textbooks used to explain nuances on issues like colonization. Where some nations it was a boon such as India and others it had been destructive ie south Africa in the mindsets.

In my textbooks it was either briefly mentioned or only mentioned in a negative light. I remember AP US history used to have other detailed events like the Mariel harbor boat lift and what had been recent events in that decade.

In the end American history is being purposefully dumbed down.

Depending on where you live it's either because we need to spin the narrative in muh social justice muh white people bad. Or it is simply to pass as many people out of high school so we can have them waste their time and money in college on student debt.

Regarding Kennedy, one of the things is 58 years isn't that much of a milestone. Give it the next two years and people will return to giving it more notice.

That and I subscribe to the theory that the driver did it.
I mean if you look at the upscaled footage of it the driver definitely did it. Jackie was in the backseat and told to keep quiet or else she dies. The whole grassy knoll stuff was just Oliver stones retarded leftist theory. It was the driver who did it meanwhile Lee Harvey Oswald was there to shoot Connelly. He was the patsy for the president, jack Rubenstein aka Jack Ruby had alot of gambling debts that got cleared after he shot Oswald. Oswald on the other hand would shoot a Dallas police officer in oak cliff which at that time was a nice and white bustling part of Dallas. Now it's a part where a block makes the difference. Many of the old buildings are still there and I swear every time there is an major event that happens in Dallas I swear DPD cops just have a knack for dying either because wrong place wrong time or they get involved in some conspiracy.

YourFriendlyLurker

kiwifarms.net
It's all the same in western (and not very) countries. The history is being rewritten, vandalized and used for someone's benefit. In the USA it's libtards with their war on monuments, books and names, in the Europe it's libtards+gov, look at brainwashed Germans who believe that Germans have nothing to be proud of, or Swedens who think that "Sweden has no culture" (I heard it from Swedish person ffs). In Russia it's a bit another story, history used as a bait to divert ppl's attention from the fact that the country goes to shit. I read some popular blogs about history and there are tons of genuine questions like "weren't Neanderthalers black?!" "Weren't roman emperors black?!!", like those people never even opened a single book.

Varg Did Nothing Wrong

kiwifarms.net
Unironic and non-joking question - who gives a shit about JFK's assassination in 2021 and, if they don't, why should they? Why should the media bring it up and say "this is the 68th anniversary of the year President So and So got his head blown off!"

What will it change? What does it actually gain society when they're reminded of this? Where is the cutoff line for shit that we can probably stop bringing up every year? Why aren't we talking about how it's the 140th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's assassination?

Regarding Pearl Harbor - reminding everyone in the US that a country that is now one of their allies did a sneak attack on them is probably not very good optics. Besides, same question as above - what does it change?

"I don't want any more assassinations or Pearl Harbors"

Bro if it's gonna happen there's no way CNN putting a blurb into their 24 hour cycle about how today is the anniversary of whatever is going to change a thing.

LeChampion1992

The true Le Champion
kiwifarms.net
Unironic and non-joking question - who gives a shit about JFK's assassination in 2021 and, if they don't, why should they? Why should the media bring it up and say "this is the 68th anniversary of the year President So and So got his head blown off!"

What will it change? What does it actually gain society when they're reminded of this? Where is the cutoff line for shit that we can probably stop bringing up every year? Why aren't we talking about how it's the 140th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's assassination?

Regarding Pearl Harbor - reminding everyone in the US that a country that is now one of their allies did a sneak attack on them is probably not very good optics.
I think society often repeats itself in different ways. The JFK assassination is important because it literally almost spiraled America into a violent racial conflict in the late 1960s. While we look at 1967 as a summer of love the actual summer of love had the worst racial rioting since 1919.

Thankfully America had competent leadership and most Americans still believed that their country as a whole was there for them. In the year of 2020 were seeing very similar sets of events. Seeing these events one could sort of take an educated guess of what might happen next.

biozeminadae1

kiwifarms.net
Nations are built on two things: myth and history.

Destroying one pillar will lead to the downfall of the other. And then the nation is destroyed.

In 1915 American denoted a member of a people.
In 2025 it will denote merely a member of a population.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
no offense but ain't you a little too old to be posting on the farms with a ricky and morten or whatever avatar in here
I'm 66, too. Avatar means nothing. Age means nothing. What you post is what really counts here.

Regarding Pearl Harbor - reminding everyone in the US that a country that is now one of their allies did a sneak attack on them is probably not very good optics. Besides, same question as above - what does it change?

"I don't want any more assassinations or Pearl Harbors"

Bro if it's gonna happen there's no way CNN putting a blurb into their 24 hour cycle about how today is the anniversary of whatever is going to change a thing.
No. Again, those who don't learn their history will need to repeat it. CNN is garbage anyway. You are free to ignore history as you please, but don't be surprised when certain things happen again. Optics mean nothing to me compared to the truth.

Traincake

kiwifarms.net
Nations are built on two things: myth and history.

Destroying one pillar will lead to the downfall of the other. And then the nation is destroyed.

In 1915 American denoted a member of a people.
In 2025 it will denote merely a member of a population.
Bingo, Bio. How can someone be proud of their history when the national mythos, the national story, is done away with, discarded in favor of...whatever it is that these Maoists, Iconoclasts, and other Millenarians of the 3rd Millennium will replace it with? We are no less primitive than a bush tribe, we simply have more to deal with. The brush tribe and us both need myths to explain how our world works, and need to codify some sort of reason why it is what it is. In modern times that's been the history and myths of the nation that've been the reason for why wars occurred. Now with the wanton discarding and dismantlement of these nations, their history, myths, and so on, what is there to fight for? International dictatorship of the proletariat?

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
It's quite embarrassing that the people of such a young nation have such a poor grasp of their relatively short history; after all, it's only 250 years of history to break down into 45 presidencies.

Imagine being a Chinese or Persian and having to learn thousands of years of unbroken national history and all those successive dynasties.
The benefit of Chinese history is that it's very repetitive. Spring and Autumn period and the Warring States alone give the broad strokes of Chinese history and philosophy. Then the Century of Humiliation and Communism because those are different than what came before.

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Age is like Blood alcohol levels, it's just a number.
Fer sure! At what age can I not shitpost anymore? If I felt for a second that what I had to say was totally irrelevant, I'd shut the fuck up.

But there is insight in years. I served my country, I've had countless women, I've enjoyed life to the 100x degree.

I only share what I feel can help the rest of you young fucks find your way out of the moral/ethical vacuum right now (political or not) and develop direction in these troubling times where no matter where you turn in life, shit is fucked in jobs, relationships, politics (without saying) .

I raised four children. They, despite some side-tracking, have all gone on to be successful at life. Not claiming I have all the answers; I don't. Only know what I've lived.

Peace out.

Kujo Jotaro

Every Man Dies
kiwifarms.net
If you were alive during those moments I'm sure they had a massive impact on you, and perhaps if culture hadn't accelerated at the warp speed that it has there would be a lasting cultural memory of those events outside of zoomers being asked to memorize such and such historical date for tomorrows test.

Let me give you an example, 9/11; even today you can go ask some random 30 year old where they were on 9/11, and they'll most likely reply with some long winded spiel about how traumatic it was etc etc. However ask anyone below 25 and they're likely to reply "I don't know, I was too young to remember, or wasn't born". For this demographic 9/11 is a nothingburger, its a thing that boomers lament, and we're forced to show some sort of somber attitude towards. In reality by the time I was in middle school 9/11 jokes were everywhere, and most kids had nothing but irreverence for said event. Realistically the only reason it's even memorable for zoomers is because of the film, and the fact that the event is literally referred to by the date on which it occurred.

Grub

kiwifarms.net
If you were alive during those moments I'm sure they had a massive impact on you, and perhaps if culture hadn't accelerated at the warp speed that it has there would be a lasting cultural memory of those events outside of zoomers being asked to memorize such and such historical date for tomorrows test.

Let me give you an example, 9/11; even today you can go ask some random 30 year old where they were on 9/11, and they'll most likely reply with some long winded spiel about how traumatic it was etc etc. However ask anyone below 25 and they're likely to reply "I don't know, I was too young to remember, or wasn't born". For this demographic 9/11 is a nothingburger, its a thing that boomers lament, and we're forced to show some sort of somber attitude towards. In reality by the time I was in middle school 9/11 jokes were everywhere, and most kids had nothing but irreverence for said event. Realistically the only reason it's even memorable for zoomers is because of the film, and the fact that the event is literally referred to by the date on which it occurred.
The thing about history is though, it's the reason why everything happening now is happening. Just because young people don't understand what 9/11 was doesn't mean that it hasn't drastically shaped the world they live in. The war that started because of that event only just ended, this year. There's been two decades of war because of that event. Almost the entirety of a lot of those people's lives.

DaddyCowboy

Head-Honcho at Ram Ranch
kiwifarms.net
I feel that the problem with how United States history is discussed is how people insert their modern political views into it, especially if someone is trying to make you lean towards one side or another.