Doesn't anyone care about US history at all anymore?

Grub

kiwifarms.net
If you were alive during those moments I'm sure they had a massive impact on you, and perhaps if culture hadn't accelerated at the warp speed that it has there would be a lasting cultural memory of those events outside of zoomers being asked to memorize such and such historical date for tomorrows test.

Let me give you an example, 9/11; even today you can go ask some random 30 year old where they were on 9/11, and they'll most likely reply with some long winded spiel about how traumatic it was etc etc. However ask anyone below 25 and they're likely to reply "I don't know, I was too young to remember, or wasn't born". For this demographic 9/11 is a nothingburger, its a thing that boomers lament, and we're forced to show some sort of somber attitude towards. In reality by the time I was in middle school 9/11 jokes were everywhere, and most kids had nothing but irreverence for said event. Realistically the only reason it's even memorable for zoomers is because of the film, and the fact that the event is literally referred to by the date on which it occurred.
The thing about history is though, it's the reason why everything happening now is happening. Just because young people don't understand what 9/11 was doesn't mean that it hasn't drastically shaped the world they live in. The war that started because of that event only just ended, this year. There's been two decades of war because of that event. Almost the entirety of a lot of those people's lives.

DaddyCowboy

Head-Honcho at Ram Ranch
kiwifarms.net
I feel that the problem with how United States history is discussed is how people insert their modern political views into it, especially if someone is trying to make you lean towards one side or another.

Varg Did Nothing Wrong

kiwifarms.net
No. Again, those who don't learn their history will need to repeat it. CNN is garbage anyway. You are free to ignore history as you please, but don't be surprised when certain things happen again. Optics mean nothing to me compared to the truth.
This is literally just a repeat of your original post and doesn't actually address anything I asked.

Are you trolling?

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
JosephStalin said:
58 years ago today President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. Don't watch TV or read daily papers, but have seen nothing online commemorating the event. Has this already dropped off people's radar screens?
In a word - yes. The America that Kennedy died in is already a foreign country that I've never laid eyes on or set foot in.
The idea of sincerely grieving for a President (or even trusting them at all) is alien to today's mindset. When I was a schoolchild (which was not very recently), we had teachers who were themselves in school at the time of the assassination. One of them told us how some teacher heard the news, burst into their classroom, and told everyone that the President had been shot, and everyone needed to get down on their knees and pray for him, now. And everyone did - in a public school, no less. Can you imagine how that scenario would play out today?

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In a word - yes. The America that Kennedy died in is already a foreign country that I've never laid eyes on or set foot in.
The idea of sincerely grieving for a President (or even trusting them at all) is alien to today's mindset.
Absolutely agree (and not just because you're a pickle). America was much different then and held a lot of values and respect for its institutions. People weren't as cynical as they are today and trusted each other much more. Our mothers had no fear of turning us out to play with the other neighborhood kids as long as were home in time for dinner. Society was polite and for the most part, authority was respected whether it be your school teacher, another parent, a cop or the President. Politics was idle chatter and not every damn thing under the sun was politicized.

Everything I mentioned above has changed during my lifetime. I don't blame any one thing, but if I had to pick a perfect time to warp back to, for me it would be the late 50's to the mid 60's. The late 60's brought about the first wave of change with the original "Summer of Love." Protests, sexual freedom, drugs, fuck "the Man," the Kent State shootings and the growing dissatisfaction with the Vietnam War. Much of that lingered through the early to mid-70's - Watergate and a growing distrust of the government. The mid 70's to early 80's I was too busy fighting the Cold War to pay much attention to what was happening in society. In the 80's, things seemed to settle down a bit and conservative politics and Reaganomics held sway as the Berlin Wall crumbled, new computer technologies emerged and blockbuster movies and MTV reshaped pop culture. The 90's were troubling - Los Angeles Riots, Oklahoma City bombing, Columbine Shooting, Bosnian Genocide, the Monica Lewinsky Scandal, David Koresh and the Waco Siege, Ruby Ridge - all a big swing away from 80's complacency. From 2000 on, I just refer to as the Tech era. People becoming very self-absorbed due to Social Media and feeling they get all the human interaction they need from a device they hold in their fucking hand instead of being part of a real human community. Respect for anything is totally out the window; not even respect for one's self. Society (in general) has turned rather base and although the pendulum does indeed swing to then fro, I ain't a big fan of where we are in current day Clown World at all and we do need a swing back to basic American values before the damn pendulum flies off the clock.

History. You can help make it or just live with it as it happens.

Realistic Elephant

I like elephants and God likes elephants
kiwifarms.net
It's not really surprising, once most of the people who experienced a historical event are dead it drops off the radar pretty quickly. After all, who remembers that Veterans' Day originally commemorated the end of WWI? Those who still remember any of Pearl Harbor or WWII are in their late 80s/early 90s at the youngest now and very few who were adults then are still alive.

By the 1940s, for example, outside of history buffs I doubt few, if any people really cared about or remembered the events and battles of the American Civil War. It got a boost in the early 1960s due to the centennial but that was about it.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Everything I mentioned above has changed during my lifetime. I don't blame any one thing, but if I had to pick a perfect time to warp back to, for me it would be the late 50's to the mid 60's.
My secondhand impression always was that the fabled Postwar Consensus days were much better than today if you fully embodied its values, and much worse if not. And I suspect most regulars here fall on the "not" side, if for no other reason than the strong iconoclastic streak you have to have to enjoy this place. What are your thoughts on it?

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty sweet doom post disguised as talking points.
Seldom do I doom post; was just reciting "the history of the world" as I lived it. But I won't lie in that I don't like the direction things are heading.
My secondhand impression always was that the fabled Postwar Consensus days were much better than today if you fully embodied its values, and much worse if not. And I suspect most regulars here fall on the "not" side, if for no other reason than the strong iconoclastic streak you have to have to enjoy this place. What are your thoughts on it?
That word - "values." It used to mean something and yes if you believed in the values of those days, it was indeed better times. Family values in particular. Marriage, dad worked, mom raised the kids and kept the house. There were boys and there were girls and you never heard anything about one wanting to be the other. School was a priority but college was something you went to if you wanted to be a doctor or a dentist, not a gender studies diversity flunky.

As far as this place, there are plenty here that would enjoy seeing the world burn. Does it bother me? Nope. Mainly because A) it's the internet and everybody's a shitposting edgelord and B) it's the diversity of the opinions here that make me like the place. I hate hug boxes and am not on any social media these days. Being here on the Farms is a self-check of my own values at times and decent sort of crystal ball as to what is really going on in the world. Primarily because no topic is off limits, but there are days when I've read one too many @CatParty articles and wonder how can anybody honestly believe this is today's society?

DiscoRodeo

kiwifarms.net
The idea of sincerely grieving for a President (or even trusting them at all) is alien to today's mindset. When I was a schoolchild (which was not very recently), we had teachers who were themselves in school at the time of the assassination. One of them told us how some teacher heard the news, burst into their classroom, and told everyone that the President had been shot, and everyone needed to get down on their knees and pray for him, now. And everyone did - in a public school, no less. Can you imagine how that scenario would play out today?
I kind of had that with 9/11, with Bush being in the town I was in. It was less get on your knees and pray, and more "omg whats happening, omg turn on the tv, oh no, quick everyone, go home and don't go outside, your parents are coming to pick you up".

The above is a bit of a tangent, but what is a bit fucked up is that the world I grew up in, in the 90s, even that is rather alien to what we have today. Especially if you add in the way the internet, social media, the TSA, have reshaped society or any number of post-911 facets. Its not as alien as the start of the second half of the 20th century, but looking at kids today- its getting there and I often do ponder about many kids currently having no idea what society was like prior to the internet and constantly posting everything.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
US history since 2012 - or at least the internet drama - feels like one big circus of endless acts. Like the fail that was "Occupy", "euphoric neckbeards", "bronies", "GamerGate", "dangerhair social justice warriors", "MGTOW", "the redpill", Tumblr drama, "Orange Man Bad", "#MeToo", "cancel culutre", something about the 2019 Joker movie, the "New Normal", the "peaceful protests", escalating racial tensions, the Kyle Rittenhouse thing (whatever that's about), and on and on and on...

It can get really exhausting to keep up with.

Hopefully there will come a day when everyone chills out, and it doesn't feel like "real life is getting cancelled" anymore.

Last edited:

AMHOLIO

the amhole of the mind
kiwifarms.net
Pearl Harbor was a tragedy. But a lot of us don't celebrate it because Japan is our friend and we don't get a day off. We get taught that it happened, but most of us youngins don't remember since we have to cram so much. We have to look at college and do good at math and 5 sciences if we want to be in a STEM field and not end up homeless like everyone else...

JFK's assassination was a tragedy and a shitshow. But we don't hold the same reverence for politicians as we did in the past. Even then, it has been 50 years so much of the people affected either passed or moved on in grief. Had someone like Trump or Obama been assassinated in office, a lot of their followers would still be grieving. Even then, we are more cynical now.

9/11 is the big one: you'll still have service men at the bar that day sitting and reminiscing about comrades and days past. People still grieve over it, but we were exposed to a glut of people trying to cash in on that grief and sent into a war in Afghanistan that took senseless lives because SOMEONE was a fucking tard. Those connected still mourn, but the after fall is bitter.

There's still American history lovers out there. There's still children who learn about Haint's blue and keep the color above their porch to honor traditions of the past. There's still those who join recrrational battles and autistically obsess over war games. There's people who don't topple monuments and make sure to keep historic places spit ans spangle. There's people still following family trees and digging up old parts of the past.

There's a shift towards cynicism in recent years. The glow has faded a while ago. There's still people who want to be patriotic, but still are realistic about it and try not to gloss over the gory details.

There's also a lot of people focused on the now. A lot of us are pushing against an uncertain future. Humanity always has, but a culture shift into efficiency and a miasma of sadness has filtered down and a lot of us are either too depression apathetic to celebrate or are kind to those who are and keep things restrained to be polite to them even though we don't need to.

Iunno sir. Grandpa Joe, I'll still be telling folktales and recounting exploits of our past in corners of the states, and I'm sure more will too. I'm sure others will too. These things come in waves, and Americans have done well for themselves, but we forget that due to our struggles now. Perhaps another day, another time, the nation will come together. We romanticize the past but there were apathetic and undereducated people in the depression and the 70s too.

We will carry on traditions and preserve what we can. And there's something to be said about that.

Edit:
I don’t. There’s no future in it.
lol pussy

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
Oh no a naval station was attacked in a World War where whole cities got obliterated and millions died.
Never forget the enormous American suffering.

whatever I feel like

Disney Diaper Size Fetish Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
The Kennedy assassination was too old for people most people to remember it, its just a historical event for those who weren't around at the time. WWII has also receded into ancient history. Sorry bro.

Dread First

The virgin Mido/Igor vs the Chad Dr. Victor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As a first-generation immigrant, my biases have always been toward the corner of the world that my family came from. Middle Eastern, Central, and South Asian histories are criminally underrepresented on a global scale. This isn't to say that I'm apathetic to US history. On the contrary, that's one of my most recent autistic obsessions.

So far, I've been going through Mesoamerican history and it's absolutely mind-boggling to me that countless human civilisations were able to exist in a land without horses. Eventually, I plan on doing some research of my own into the various battles and wars that were fought during America's initial push Westward.