Doesn't anyone care about US history at all anymore?

Faket0Fake

Handsome prince
kiwifarms.net
Nobody wants real history anymore, it's being replaced by being told you are better than the past and will fix everything. Americans come pre-packaged with an obsessive need to feel special, that's why America has developed more cultish religious movements in its couple hundred years than any other country. The same thing that works for every cult also worked for Communism, tell young people they are special and that they can fix everything. Soon they are whipped into a frenzy and rioting in the streets taking down your opponents and scaring the rest of the population into compliance. It all starts with breaking down the ego though and for communists that means deleting history, demonising great people and taking away any pride the population had about being a citizen. Then you replace that with propaganda that makes them feel important and that they are the catalyst for change.

Foxymophandlemama

my smile is a rifle
kiwifarms.net
I am going to be honest, US history, in my country, only mattered when it was about Boston Tea Party, Abolition of Slavery, and 20th Century. But I felt that there was a lack of information around the involvement from the USA government in the Latin America military coups, so idk. But most of statunitian history doesn't matter unless it affects the rest of the world, specially from my latin american perspective.
That doesn't mean, however, that I don't care, as I am very curious about everything that has happened in the world, but I'm speaking from the perspective of the curriculum in my education. The stuff we learned was Boston Tea Party and 20th Century because that stuff had a long lasting influence in the world, but nonetheless we learned about other countries too.

NeoGAF Lurker

An Niggo
kiwifarms.net
Tbh I don’t think modern Americans are capable of understanding history. Part of it is demographics but part of it is the pervasiveness of media where there’s good guys and bad guys. No room for nuance. That’s why American hustle is just muh slavery, muh shoah, and any other instances of history that the far left want to advertise.

This is why Judeo Race Theory is so easy to implement here. Judeo Race Theory lumps all wypipo into one category, whether their families came from an illiterate mick in a tenement or the bluest of the blue bloods. Everyone here is white, black, brown, yellow, and red and it doesn’t give a shit about the different nationalities, tribes, etc. It’s a uniquely stupid way to think about things and it’s perfect for America.

LeChampion1992

The true Le Champion
kiwifarms.net
Nobody wants real history anymore, it's being replaced by being told you are better than the past and will fix everything. Americans come pre-packaged with an obsessive need to feel special, that's why America has developed more cultish religious movements in its couple hundred years than any other country. The same thing that works for every cult also worked for Communism, tell young people they are special and that they can fix everything. Soon they are whipped into a frenzy and rioting in the streets taking down your opponents and scaring the rest of the population into compliance. It all starts with breaking down the ego though and for communists that means deleting history, demonising great people and taking away any pride the population had about being a citizen. Then you replace that with propaganda that makes them feel important and that they are the catalyst for change.
American history is one that is bloody, full of grit and hard work, yet that needs to be demonized in order to push the idea of the "revolution." Realistically speaking the best case scenario is the US breaks up and part of the country becomes Marxist the other part full corporate fascist while the latter retains the flawed democracy.

BeepBoopBeepBoop

kiwifarms.net
American History is pretty interesting. How they dealt with Catholics and minority religions was an interesting topic. The entire reason why Guy Fawkes Day isn't celebrated in the US is because of one of the tribal leaders who sided with the US was a baptized Catholic, the Carroll family of Maryland helped supply the Continental Army, and a few of Washington's camp aides and secretaries were Catholic. One of the myths I've heard is that after Valley Forge a lot of the hardliners were Catholics and Washington got unironically pissed at some rando's burning an effigy of the Pope. With Jew's it's literally like two people bankrolled the Revolution.

Why does no one care anymore? You can't transplant millions of people and cater to natives. Usually you'd educate people on the established myths of the area and why the narrative of those myths differ from the reality. When an area is Italian for maybe 50 years and then becomes majority Black, you really can't cater to any personal history of Italians.

AMHOLIO

the amhole of the mind
kiwifarms.net
American history is one that is bloody, full of grit and hard work, yet that needs to be demonized in order to push the idea of the "revolution." Realistically speaking the best case scenario is the US breaks up and part of the country becomes Marxist the other part full corporate fascist while the latter retains the flawed democracy.
I could see no realistic way of that happening aside from having islands of marxist cities rather than a full marxist country. You'd have to Oklahoma those bastards into one place. Even then, if corpfacism took over then they'd get crushed because companies already don't give a shit about worker safety, they give less of a fuck about enemy safety and hate competition.

Idk, corporate facism seems like a hard thing to morph into. Maybe in 100 years, but not 10 or 20.

Certified_Autist

The Superior HP Lovecraft's Cat
kiwifarms.net
The Battle of Fort Sumter was the beginning of the American Civil War. The 160th anniversary was last April, and I literally didn't see a single mention of it anywhere. Given it's current year and people on both sides are still bitching about things that happened in that war, it seems a little weird the date wasn't noted.

Don't really have a "source" for this but my perception is that people are caring both more and less about history. The actual events and dates are becoming more irrelevant or abstract. The parts that people actually pay attention to are how minorities were affected by events.

Clockwork_PurBle

"We despise nice: nice makes us sick."
kiwifarms.net
I have one guess as to why general knowledge of U.S. History/Civics has declined.

Somewhere along the line, the education system decided that in order to head coach a high school sport, the coach just had to be a teacher as well, to kill two birds with one stone. History/Civics is apparently an easier subject to get a degree in, and dudes generally like history as a subject, so what do men who want to coach high school sports ball do? Become history teachers. As a result, history is being taught by apathetic people who really don't want to teach (at all, history of nor) and just used teaching as a means to an end. It's hard for you to really get mad at them, because they didn't want to teach, but they basically have to "teach" so they can do what they really want.

A younger relative wants to teach history/civics (he is based) but he's not into sportsball so I worry about his ability to get hired. It'll have to be at a private or large, nicer public school that doesn't prioritize sportsball over education (a rarity).