DOOM -

spaps

I'LL FUCK YOU OFF AT NO COST
kiwifarms.net
So for some reason, we don't have a general DOOM thread (no, the 20th anniversary thread doesn't count). What are your favorite WADs? Music? What do you play DOOM on? Discuss all this and more.

E

EI 903

kiwifarms.net
I haven't done much in the way of mods, but I really enjoyed the DOOM 3 expansion packs, especially The Lost Mission. For a game that has a bad reputation, D3 is a whole lot of fun if you don't go in expecting it to be like the other two. I've only played on my laptop, plugged into the big screen in the living room and with surround sound.

I haven't played Doom 2 in ages, but it remains one of the most fun games I've ever played. It doesn't suit my overcautious play style in action games very well, but it's still the best of the old murder simulators out there.

I'm really stoked for the reboot game coming out, and want to try getting into Brutal Doom after seeing that awesome YouTube preview earlier in the year.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Favorite WAD for Doom is Brutal Doom. I do like how it gives the game an overhaul in difficulty, equipment, enemies, and such. I first played Doom on GBA with Doom II back in 04 iirc, a year or two later I got the collectors edition for PC which mean't Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom. Lost the copy a year or so later until I stumbled upon one at a swap-meet.

I haven't done much in the way of mods, but I really enjoyed the DOOM 3 expansion packs, especially The Lost Mission. For a game that has a bad reputation, D3 is a whole lot of fun if you don't go in expecting it to be like the other two. I've only played on my laptop, plugged into the big screen in the living room and with surround sound.
As much as how Doom 3 differed from the previous games, I can agree with you in that it's a whole lot of fun as long. Haven't played the expansion packs but I would like to get my hands on them, especially the one that gives you the double-barreled shotgun.

E

EI 903

kiwifarms.net
As much as how Doom 3 differed from the previous games, I can agree with you in that it's a whole lot of fun as long. Haven't played the expansion packs but I would like to get my hands on them, especially the one that gives you the double-barreled shotgun.
Both of them have the double-barrel, and it totally changes the game. Also the second one has a laser-grabber gun thingy that almost breaks the game but is a ton of fun. I beat the second expansion and didn't die once on Normal difficulty mostly because of the grabber.

• Informative
Reactions: Watcher and c-no

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
I finished reading Master's of Doom. Still a really enlightening book, especially once you see it in the context of Carmack leaving Id and being the last founder of the company to leave.

I was also really amused to read that Carmack came particularly hard down on Duke Nukem 3D, specifically calling it's engine a cobbled together mess. Meanwhile Romero listed it as one of his "top 5 games of all time" in an interview.
For a game that has a bad reputation, D3 is a whole lot of fun if you don't go in expecting it to be like the other two.
I really think Doom 3's negative reputation is a bit undeserved. For an FPS especially back in 2003 it was fairly competently made.

I think most of the bad rap it gets is due to the nature of making a sequel to Doom on a brand new engine without Romero. And I remember at the time it was criticized for copying Half Life. Meanwhile Half-Life copied Doom prior to that (and Gabe Newell was the guy behind Doom's Windows 95 port) . Since Doom 3's release the game has aged remarkably well, especially compared to most FPS games today.

And it's Source Code has been released, so now people can create entirely new games with it's engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Syaoran Li

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I played the hell out of Doom a billion years ago when it was new. Aliens TC was really great.

Last time I played it for any length of time was emuing the PS1 port on my PSP while I got my oil changed.

Sanic

4 the sped u ned
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Being doomed, was he so. The marine made it until he escaped. Even against all odds. Through gruesome violence that needed to be, the screams pain could be heard. He prevailed. His fate was never to be doomed.

Reactions: Holdek and c-no

spaps

I'LL FUCK YOU OFF AT NO COST
kiwifarms.net
SmoothDoom is great. It's a WAD that doesn't modify the gameplay, but it adds a few visual tweaks to the game that manages to make the gunplay ten times more satisfying. The main feature is that it adds extra frames to every animation, smoothing them out, but it's also got a bunch of extra options like recoil, extra monster and prop skins, some enhanced particles, blood splatters, swapping out a few weapons with their 64 counterparts, and more.

Being doomed, was he so. The marine made it until he escaped. Even against all odds. Through gruesome violence that needed to be, the screams pain could be heard. He prevailed. His fate was never to be doomed.
And then John was a zombie.

EDIT: Also, Russian Overkill. Play it, you won't regret it.

Last edited:

Slowboat to China

Drinking Toilet Duck
kiwifarms.net
Ah, this brings back good memories ... We got the first Doom when I was five years old. True story: I wanted to be the Doom Guy when I was young. Talk about a good example! Grim humor in the face of danger, never giving up, willing to do whatever it takes to prevent disaster.

Final Doom was always my favorite. I played Plutonia Experiment and TNT over and over again--though I tended to lose my temper whenever I hit Hunted in Plutonia. Get two or three arch-viles all tag-teaming each other and you're not gonna have a good time.

galact0r

Master of the Dark Arts
kiwifarms.net
One of my favourite MC's. Some people say that his flow is kinda shambolic, but I don't agree. I wish he would hurry up and release the Ghostface collaboration they've been working on for a while.

Oops, sorry wrong DOOM.

• DRINK!
Reactions: Jonzun

MarineTrainedTard

Ryan! Stab somebody!
kiwifarms.net
Doom is the shit.

My favorite megawads are Scythe, Scythe 2, Cold As Hell, and Unloved. I generally use Skulltag. Cold As Hell actually has a pretty deep storyline and Unloved does psychological horror about as well as one could expect from a modified 22-year-old game.

Zim

Facebook District Manager
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Winter's Fury.
And I'm checking that out pronto!

I play Doom 2 nearly every year. Usually with zDoom or Brutal Doom. It's just a great game.

Doom 3 I also think is pretty good. However, if you want to bring it up to a whole new level check out Sikkmod. Using this with a good HD texture pack will just make this game ooze atmosphere.

• Informative
Reactions: Holdek and EI 903

Roger Rabbit

A rabbit who should die
kiwifarms.net
Didn't they make a mod for Doom where you're Ghost from True Capitalist Radio, throwing cans and shooting Bronies?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Holdek

Clown Doll

His own Free Bitch
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone here tried Oblige! ? It's basically an automated .wad generation tool which allows you to shart out new DOOM levels and entire episodes pretty easily. The downsides of course are that it cannot make keycard squads and it really lacks the care and detail of hand-made maps but it's pretty good if you just want to kick back and have some DOOM fun,and can't think of any .wads to download.

• Winner
Reactions: Conrix
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino