DOOM -

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net
You know what would make for a badass DLC campaign? One where you play as Hayden armed with the demonic Crucible as he leads the resistance against the demons. For one thing it would show how he got into the state we see him in Eternal and for another it would be really fucking cool to see him actually use the Crucible. There was so much teasing with him holding that Crucible but we ultimately never get to see him use it in any meaningful way.
Plus
it's implied he's the Makyr who gave the Doom Slayer his powers (they share a voice actor and lines) and that VEGA is the essence of The Father (god).

Pinot Pierrot

The naive one, forever waiting.
kiwifarms.net
I didn't care for the last two boss fights, myself, but that may have been my fault for playing several hours straight, getting tired, and hitting an "I don't care, just END IT" mood. Then again, I rarely like FPS boss fights.
Some of you guys are monsters. Even with all this free time I suddenly have, I can only play Eternal in short bursts before my eyes start bleeding out from the sockets from sheer sensory overload.
Plus
it's implied he's the Makyr who gave the Doom Slayer his powers (they share a voice actor and lines) and that VEGA is the essence of The Father (god).
The whole thing with Urdak seems to borrow a bit from the Gnostic concept of the Demiurge, though admittedly I’ve only first learned about that from Persona 5.

Last edited:

Arm_of_the_Lord

kiwifarms.net
Are slayer gates meant to be played only after you've gotten all the upgrades and shit? The very first one took me like 8 tries(nightmare difficulty).

Pinot Pierrot

The naive one, forever waiting.
kiwifarms.net
Are slayer gates meant to be played only after you've gotten all the upgrades and shit? The very first one took me like 8 tries(nightmare difficulty).
As far as I can tell, they're meant to be blazingly unfair, but not impossible with the weapons you have at the moment of progression.

Was watching one of Pat's streams, and one of the commentators pointed something that had me cracking up: due to the smaller ammo capacity, Eternal has a reload button after all - it's the fucking chainsaw. Also, the ice bomb will kill the Marauder's hound in one go, but somehow the guy still doesn't realize after multiple levels that the Carcass' shields can be overcharged with plasma.

Last edited:

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Had a weird experience with a Slayer gate. Turns out I missed one BTW so I re-play to get that one. Anyway, it was the first gate with the Marauder. I fucked up twice and wasn't close enough to glory kill the Marauder. After a few more attempts I decided to use the BFG and -bizarrely- killed the Marauder but it summoned shitloads of Barons and Hell Knights instead. They were much easier and I got the key.

DrearyDoomguy

Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.
kiwifarms.net
Had a weird experience with a Slayer gate. Turns out I missed one BTW so I re-play to get that one. Anyway, it was the first gate with the Marauder. I fucked up twice and wasn't close enough to glory kill the Marauder. After a few more attempts I decided to use the BFG and -bizarrely- killed the Marauder but it summoned shitloads of Barons and Hell Knights instead. They were much easier and I got the key.
Oddly enough it was the exact opposite for me. I found marauders pretty doable overall, whereas Barons and Knights perpetually give me a hard time.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Barons and Knights are pushovers for me. Marauders I still struggle with just waiting for an opening to attack. I have good results with the super shotty against Marauders but there might be a better gun?

Crustyguy

kiwifarms.net
Man, fuck that gladiator. I don't know if I'm just bad at the game, or what, but his attacks seem damn-near impossible to dodge.

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
Barons and Knights are pushovers for me. Marauders I still struggle with just waiting for an opening to attack. I have good results with the super shotty against Marauders but there might be a better gun?
Super shotty into ballista or rocket launcher if you don’t mind self damage. He also apparently doesn’t bring the shield up for grenades, shotgun stickies, or remote detonation; so you can harass him a bit with those. Can you really only hold 2 BFG shots? Tried the master level for arc complex and couldn’t pick up the first round. I actually really like the arenas in that without the goo. Real frantic and one of the better tracks plays during that level.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Super shotty into ballista or rocket launcher if you don’t mind self damage. He also apparently doesn’t bring the shield up for grenades, shotgun stickies, or remote detonation; so you can harass him a bit with those. Can you really only hold 2 BFG shots? Tried the master level for arc complex and couldn’t pick up the first round. I actually really like the arenas in that without the goo. Real frantic and one of the better tracks plays during that level.
The rocket launcher seemed to be the only other decent weapon against him. The grenades kind of work on him and same with the flamethrower. I've yet to try the master levels. I want to unlock the Unmaker first.

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
The rocket launcher seemed to be the only other decent weapon against him. The grenades kind of work on him and same with the flamethrower. I've yet to try the master levels. I want to unlock the Unmaker first.
It’s ... not great. Uses its very rare ammo too quickly for damage that’s seemingly not much higher than mobile turret.

BlueCandle

Blue wizard is about to die
kiwifarms.net
The Unmaker is bad? :(
It's pretty underwhelming for how difficult it is to unlock. I was expecting it to fire homing lasers like in Doom64, but its basically a slightly more powerful chaingun that uses very rare ammo. It takes me like 40 cells to kill an archvile with it, compared to one shot of the bfg which kills it and all the baddies nearby. Very meh

Only real use I could find for it was to spray and pray the final boss. Speaking of which, they really screwed themselves up because they had the perfect opportunity to have doomguy like tear open his brain to reveal a small chamber containing the tortured upper torso of the Betrayer's son (who would look suspiciously like Romero) who you would then kill to defeat the icon. I mean, come on. After the amazing killshot of the Spider Mastermind we're supposed to be ok with us just making the Icon fall over? Talk about an anti-climax

Chin of Campbell

I'm out.
kiwifarms.net
It's pretty underwhelming for how difficult it is to unlock. I was expecting it to fire homing lasers like in Doom64, but its basically a slightly more powerful chaingun that uses very rare ammo. It takes me like 40 cells to kill an archvile with it, compared to one shot of the bfg which kills it and all the baddies nearby. Very meh

Only real use I could find for it was to spray and pray the final boss. Speaking of which, they really screwed themselves up because they had the perfect opportunity to have doomguy like tear open his brain to reveal a small chamber containing the tortured upper torso of the Betrayer's son (who would look suspiciously like Romero) who you would then kill to defeat the icon. I mean, come on. After the amazing killshot of the Spider Mastermind we're supposed to be ok with us just making the Icon fall over? Talk about an anti-climax
They retconned the Betrayer's son being turned into the Icon into his heart being used to revive it or something, so the Icon's relation to the guy's kid was over after DG stabbed his weirdly giant heart with that retractable glowstick.

Not that your idea isn't still better, I'm just saying. No Glory Kill on the Icon was bogus.

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net

I was expecting the icon to say soundclips that, when reversed, say "to win the game you must kill me, hugo martin".

Tags
None