DOOM -

nosemouth

kiwifarms.net
I couldn't do it guys. I made it an amusing hour and 59 minutes in but all the grating things feel so grating that I can't stand the thought of playing through more to get to the "good part" people keep telling me about. I wanted to like it but it's such a slog. There's so many mechanics that just don't flow well together and the platforming just feels unecessary altogether, I'm just not having fun guys :(
I pray you're able to get through this traumatic time in your life.

BR55

kiwifarms.net
The Unmaker is bad? :(
Well I like the Unmaykr/Unmaker...
Although my opinion might be affected by copious use of the infinite ammo cheat when replaying levels.
Going ham with the Crucible and the Unmaykr is hilariously cathartic.
I can understand why it was toned down though.
The Doom 64 Unmaker was unbelievably overpowered once you got all three runes.
It was to the point of "why use anything else?" by the end of the game.

Jack Awful

Laughs at Tards
kiwifarms.net
Although my opinion might be affected by copious use of the infinite ammo cheat when replaying levels.
A lock on feature would be nice, though. It's fine if it's OP since you have to go out of your way to unlock it. Making it a bit more OP would make it a nice bonus. Plus, ammo for it is already pretty limited.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: BR55

Pinot Pierrot

The naive one, forever waiting.
kiwifarms.net
Now that I've beaten the game, I've given Eternal's full OST a listen and made up a list of standouts. Not gonna select ones by level of bass drops, because most if not all the battle tracks pile-drive perches for days. Instead, I'm just noting the ones with tasty hooks or other qualities of note:
  1. Hell on Earth
  2. The Slayer's Time is Now
  3. Ride to the Base (starting at the 3:01 mark) - Very atmospheric, especially once it hits 4:36 and the guttural chanting begins.
  4. Doom Hunter - Combines both the latter half of Ride to the Base and The Slayer's Time is Now. As a result, it may be a new favorite out of Mick Gordon's latest work.
  5. Super Gore Nest
  6. Reaching the Nest - That shit will grind your cochlear bones down to nubs with how gritty it gets. Good.
  7. The Only Thing They Fear Is You
  8. The Slayer Has Entered The Facility - It's just hard to imagine a human conceived this.
  9. Heading to Mars
  10. Kar En Tuk - Seems to be the one where the metalheads contributed the most to. At points it just devolves into ceaseless screams and howls of the damned. Very interesting choice to put on while you go out for a jog.
  11. Gladiator - A surprisingly fun boss track. Got that ever-present Mars staccato and more "Kar En Tuk" screaming in the background.
  12. Ruins of Nekraval
  13. Voices of Urdak - It's fucking hideous.
  14. Final Sin

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Unmaker -once fully upgraded- made the BFG look like a super soaker. But it was balanced out by the fact that you had to find these secret levels -that are very well hidden- to get it early and then find a few more levels and find the secret runes to upgrade the shit out of it. Once you get it to level 2 it's as good if not better than the BFG but at level 3 it's insane. But at that point it was late game and there were like 5-6 levels left so it was fine.

Also, I'm at the final stage. I unlocked the Unmaker. The sword is so much fun. I have a headache so will resume this later but unless this game massively shits the bed in the final act and it's like the Xen levels in Half-Life I am willing to say this is one of the best FPS campaigns ever for me. Easily up there with Doom 1, 2, 64, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 1, Dusk and the 2/3rds of Half-Life.

Catgirl IRL

kiwifarms.net
Campaign ends exactly when it needs to. Any longer and it would've just been filler content - it's rare a game keeps me hooked to the end like this, especially on its gameplay alone (I enjoyed Witcher 3 for example, but that was despite the gameplay being in the way of my story).

DrearyDoomguy

Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.
kiwifarms.net
I just tried out one of the Master levels on Nightmare. Those things are no joke. I go into the first arena in cultist base and a goddamn Tyrant is just chilling there. And it only gets tougher as the level progresses. I figured something out though, the Microwave beam is actually really useful for stunning baddies, even if it's only on them for a fraction of a second they'll stay faltered for a second or so afterwards. Pretty handy trick against something like a Tyrant/Doomhunter.

Also for tracks that stand out for me, I have to go with the title theme. It's nice and moody with a bit of punch to it. It sounds like a follow up to Harbinger, which was one my personal standout tracks from 2016.

Sigma

Eighteen Inches
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I beat the game today. I generally quite like it but I felt that the ending was kind of underwhelming. Mostly due to that you go after the main bad guy in the level beforehand so the final boss just feels like clean up duty. Plus you don't really get to see much when it comes to the aftermath. The final boss just falls over, you walk off and that's about it.

Last edited:

Affluent Reptilian

kiwifarms.net
I really loved the Marauder fight and for the most part it solves the problem with bosses in FPS.

Make it a big bad? The player can just circle strafe it to death.

Make it so you have to do a thing and then you can kill them ala Quake 1 or Bioshock 1? Easy as piss once you know what to do.

Make it a wall texture ala Doom 2? Kind of boring. Not even touching on mouse look making the fight trivial.
Yes. The only exception I could think of off-hand is fighting Daud in Dishonoured (which is I know not really the most representative FPS since it incorporates elements from other genres), where they changed how certain mechanics when dealing with him so it was really surprising and cool when you fought (the fact the most likely way for it to happen was you trying to timestop to steal something from nearby and him revealing he can ignore timestop when he says 'Nice try, Corvo' as he blinks to you and locks swords helped with the added surprise). And that's really game-specific and couldn't work anywhere else.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes. The only exception I could think of off-hand is fighting Daud in Dishonoured (which is I know not really the most representative FPS since it incorporates elements from other genres), where they changed how certain mechanics when dealing with him so it was really surprising and cool when you fought (the fact the most likely way for it to happen was you trying to timestop to steal something from nearby and him revealing he can ignore timestop when he says 'Nice try, Corvo' as he blinks to you and locks swords helped with the added surprise). And that's really game-specific and couldn't work anywhere else.
I was trying to think of more modern FPS with campaigns that I like and that has mostly gone to the wayside in favor of multiplayer over the last decade. Which is pretty sad. But Bioshock 1 is a favorite of mine. Farcy: Blood Dragon is another one even if it was very short. Alien Isolation if that one counts (IMHO it's a masterpiece of survival horror). Doom 2016 and that's about it.

CoronaVenom

TWISTED-GRAPHIX/ KODY AARON WALTERS
kiwifarms.net
And I'm checking that out pronto!

I play Doom 2 nearly every year. Usually with zDoom or Brutal Doom. It's just a great game.

Doom 3 I also think is pretty good. However, if you want to bring it up to a whole new level check out Sikkmod. Using this with a good HD texture pack will just make this game ooze atmosphere.

Makes the DOOM3 BFG Edition look like a lazy cash grab. But some of the Sikkmod graphics options don't work well with all video cards, tested on Nvidia, AMD, and some generic card.

Pinot Pierrot

The naive one, forever waiting.
kiwifarms.net
Does it even explain how doomguy acquired his ship and escaped from mars?
Because coming from 2016 i was confused as fuck for like 90% of the game
Not even a hint. For all we know, Doomguy was dropped off at a remote area that just happened to have a defunct Sentinel ship lying somewhere.

EDIT:
So apparently, if you bought Eternal off of Bethesda.net instead of Steam like most normal people, you can find an .exe of the game in one of the folders that is DRM-free. You copy/paste to the main directory, and boom - no Denuvo. It's been known since release day, so it might have been fixed already, but I bet finding the free version is only a google search away. Not that it matters; Eternal has been selling like hotcakes.

Last edited:
Tags
None