DOOM -

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Uh let’s try cramming some secret spyware into our game again and hope nobody notices’
It's not even that they hoped nobody would notice. It's right there in the patch notes that Denuvo software would be downloaded onto your machine. What's fucked up though is that the notes state that it's required to play the multiplayer, but you can't even play singleplayer unless it's installed.

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's not even that they hoped nobody would notice. It's right there in the patch notes that Denuvo software would be downloaded onto your machine. What's fucked up though is that the notes state that it's required to play the multiplayer, but you can't even play singleplayer unless it's installed.
The security concerns are somewhat overblown, your printer driver and graphics card both have kernel zero access. What's not overblown is the performance impact of this thing. Folks with beefy rigs over at r/Doom are reporting an average of 15-20 fps lost which is huge.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Folks with beefy rigs over at r/Doom are reporting an average of 15-20 fps lost which is huge.
What kills me is that this was the exact complaint regarding Rage 2. The game ran like dogshit until Denuvo was removed, and this exact fucking thing is happening to Doom Eternal, except this time we know for sure that it ran perfectly fine until Denuvo was added. Rage 2 was shipped with it so no one could say for sure if their computer was underpowered or if the game was just badly optimized. Doom Eternal though? There's actual proof that Denuvo is actively destroying the performance.

Why in the hell does Bethesda keep using this thing when all it's done is wreck optimization and piss off customers?

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
Found something of interest while trying to figure out how a Denuvo license works. A company called Irdeto bought Denuvo awhile back.
Appears Irdeto was interested in an anti-cheat.
Archive
While Denuvo is perhaps best known for its anti-piracy technology, Irdeto is also placing emphasis on the company’s ability to hinder cheating in online multi-player gaming environments.
Naspers has a 100% stake in Irdeto and its parent company, MultiChoice. Naspers has a 31% stake in Tencent.
Article
Archive
Naspers-1200x691.jpg

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Another day, another round of review bombing.

To start with, the grand total of negative Steam reviews yesterday totaled 1496. As I write this, it is almost afternoon where I live, and the number of Steam reviews posted today is currently 610. That brings the current count to 3366 over the past 3 days.

It's worth noting that this is a larger number of negative reviews than the number posted around launch week. When Doom Eternal launched back in March, the number of negative reviews amounted to 2335, which sounds like a lot, but this is offset by the game getting like 23,000 positive reviews, plus those reviews were over the course of about a week I think. Unless Bethesda responds, this train doesn't seem to be slowing down.

And for reference, here are the screen captures of the negative review graph just so people have a firm understanding of how insane this is.

May 15 Doom Eternal.png

May 16 Doom Eternal.png

May 17 Doom Eternal.png

OriginalUsernameHere

Taking a month off weed, God give me strength
kiwifarms.net
Well deserved, I can't play the fucking game anymore without installing that malware, also its false advertises thst its just for Battle-mode too bad it also fucks with the single player too.

• Agree
Reactions: lolwut

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
What percentage of people regularly play the PVP mode? I have to imagine upwards of 90% of the players are primarily interested in the campaign.
From what I've heard, Battlemode's been struggling to maintain a consistent player base. Which makes this situation more insane because Bethesda's response is to force people to install something that actively makes playing Battlemode worse.

Most of the reviews are also coming at it from the point of view of single-player, which not only emphasizes how this fucks over the people who play the campaign, but also implies the campaign is what most people care about anyway.

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
"This game is too successful and well received. How can we fuck this up and make everyone hate us?" ~ Bethesda apparently
They recently added stuff like npcs to 76 didn't they? They must have decided they wanted one week without news of 76 shitting the bed and used Doom to smokescreen them.

No one will talk about NPCs in 76 looting players' corpses and walking upside down if we make Doom shit for a couple of days then revert it.

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
What percentage of people regularly play the PVP mode? I have to imagine upwards of 90% of the players are primarily interested in the campaign.
I'm not surprised. when DOOM2016's multiplayer demo came out people thought the final game was gonna suck, nobody was excited for that game until it actually came out, people were shocked by how good the campaign was compared to the mediocre multiplayer. I think the difference between expectations and what we actually got helped that game quite a bit. last time I remember such a difference between single player and multi player in a shooter was, damn I think far back as metroid prime 2. the multiplayer in that game was a waste of dev time. weird considering how good the DS game was at that.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
You know, I think Denuvo is the most hated thing in gaming. Even EA has a good game once in a blue moon.
I don't get it, how many PvP games are ruined due to cheats to cause everyone to suffer? It's not some sports where you could at least argue that it can royally fuck some people if it is unfair. And why can't the games themselves be monitored for impossible events and statistics?

SamTheEagle

What if the true lolcow is inside us?
kiwifarms.net
I don't get it, how many PvP games are ruined due to cheats to cause everyone to suffer? It's not some sports where you could at least argue that it can royally fuck some people if it is unfair. And why can't the games themselves be monitored for impossible events and statistics?
I keep thinking about the Good Old Days when multiplayer was done in person, be it in front of one TV or a LAN party if you were feeling fancy, and you simply kicked the guy's ass for cheating.

Goldman

PROTECKING THE LYFE CYCLE
kiwifarms.net
I keep thinking about the Good Old Days when multiplayer was done in person, be it in front of one TV or a LAN party if you were feeling fancy, and you simply kicked the guy's ass for cheating.
You know, I think Denuvo is the most hated thing in gaming. Even EA has a good game once in a blue moon.
It was trivial to cheat in Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 on the Internet Gaming Zone (just drop a COG file in your directory), but it wasn't an issue, and in fact it was fun on cheat servers. Some people had bowcasters that turn opponents into couches, among other weird stuff. This big push to homogenize the multiplayer experience as well as adding ranking to everything has harmed MP games and their longevity, but maybe that's partially the point.

Just wandering

kiwifarms.net
I was thinking about that. I have the ps4 version. The ps4 isn't connected online, we didn't pay the subscription.
But if I remember well will I was playing, the PS4 crashed 2 time and my sister complained it slow down the internet to the point it barely usable
Do you think the dunovo anti cheat drm is responsible of that?

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I was thinking about that. I have the ps4 version. The ps4 isn't connected online, we didn't pay the subscription.
But if I remember well will I was playing, the PS4 crashed 2 time and my sister complained it slow down the internet to the point it barely usable
Do you think the dunovo anti cheat drm is responsible of that?
Denuvo doesn't affect consoles, only PCs. It could just be your PS4; their Internet antennas are kinda shit to begin with.

• Informative
Reactions: Just wandering
Tags
None