DOOM -

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Tried out Russian Overkill for the first time. It is unbelievable how comically overpowered you are with the mod; I plowed through the first few Plutonia maps without breaking a sweat. Nothing can stand against you, and every weapon you get is more hilariously overpowered than the last.

The only reason I didn't play it sooner was that I didn't know that I had to download the latest GZDoom to get it running. It's insanely cathartic.

DrearyDoomguy

Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.
kiwifarms.net
Tried out Russian Overkill for the first time. It is unbelievable how comically overpowered you are with the mod; I plowed through the first few Plutonia maps without breaking a sweat. Nothing can stand against you, and every weapon you get is more hilariously overpowered than the last.

The only reason I didn't play it sooner was that I didn't know that I had to download the latest GZDoom to get it running. It's insanely cathartic.
I remember the first time I played RO. I booted it up and kept getting confused with the insane number of weapons you have the and the numerous alt-fires that push the engine to its absolute limits. I remember when i discovered the ability to instantly toss myself halfway across the map with a single shot from the quad barrel shotgun. and immediately settled on that weapon for almost every conceivable circumstance.

image1 (1).jpg

Sometimes a single image can tell you everything you will ever need to know about a mod.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember the first time I played RO. I booted it up and kept getting confused with the insane number of weapons you have the and the numerous alt-fires that push the engine to its absolute limits. I remember when i discovered the ability to instantly toss myself halfway across the map with a single shot from the quad barrel shotgun. and immediately settled on that weapon for almost every conceivable circumstance.

View attachment 1359979

Sometimes a single image can tell you everything you will ever need to know about a mod.
That looks ridiculous, insane, over the top, and just plain batshit.

And I like it, wish I heard of this mod sooner.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1359979

The alt-fires that got me laughing were the Berserk alt-fire where you throw dumbbells and the unarmed one where you unleash an explosive fart.

Honestly, you need an outrageously hard mod to get the most out of RO. I realized partway through Aztec that Plutonia's too soft, which was mind-boggling to me given how difficult Plutonia is, especially in the early maps. I'm gonna try Unholy Realms or Sunlust next, something that gave me a hard time so I can just stomp all over it.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The alt-fires that got me laughing were the Berserk alt-fire where you throw dumbbells and the unarmed one where you unleash an explosive fart.

Honestly, you need an outrageously hard mod to get the most out of RO. I realized partway through Aztec that Plutonia's too soft, which was mind-boggling to me given how difficult Plutonia is, especially in the early maps. I'm gonna try Unholy Realms or Sunlust next, something that gave me a hard time so I can just stomp all over it.
Try Hell Revealed 2, that might be worth it, even early levels are ridiculous bloodbaths on vanilla Doom II/Final Doom. Brutal Doom/Project Brutality I know is insanely fun with HR2.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1359979

Pardon me, but... the fuck am I looking at?
Like, I get it - that's four goddamn quad-barreled shotguns firing in tandem - but I don't get it. I fail to process the sheer wraparound 'tardery of this image.
It's amazing.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Pardon me, but... the fuck am I looking at?
Like, I get it - that's four goddamn quad-barreled shotguns firing in tandem - but I don't get it. I fail to process the sheer wraparound 'tardery of this image.
It's amazing.
One of the weapons you get is a quadruple barreled Super Shotgun. It's unreasonably strong by itself, able to kill a whole crowd of low-level enemies by itself (and that includes enemies like Pinkies). The only real drawback is that you get launched backwards several feet and the recoil is insane, but since this is Russian Overkill it really doesn't matter.

When you activate the alt-fire, a shotgun appears in each corner of the screen to fire at once; this is strong enough to wipe out mid tier enemies like Hell Knights and Revenants at once. Why does this happen? How is this physically possible? It doesn't matter, it looks awesome and it's way too strong for its own good, which is what Russian Overkill is all about.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
One of the weapons you get is a quadruple barreled Super Shotgun. It's unreasonably strong by itself, able to kill a whole crowd of low-level enemies by itself (and that includes enemies like Pinkies). The only real drawback is that you get launched backwards several feet and the recoil is insane, but since this is Russian Overkill it really doesn't matter.

When you activate the alt-fire, a shotgun appears in each corner of the screen to fire at once; this is strong enough to wipe out mid tier enemies like Hell Knights and Revenants at once. Why does this happen? How is this physically possible? It doesn't matter, it looks awesome and it's way too strong for its own good, which is what Russian Overkill is all about.
... That is one of the more gloriously stupid things I've heard in a long time, up there with the EDF games. Holy fuck.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
The only real drawback is that you get launched backwards several feet and the recoil is insane, but since this is Russian Overkill it really doesn't matter.
So, ah, I just found the tertiary fire commands for RO because of fucking course the guns have at least 3 fire buttons (some have 4, but 4 is mostly zooming in), and the tertiary command for the quad-barreled shotgun is a recoil suppression option, so if you really want to you don't even have to deal with the insane blast back. At this point, the only drawback is that it's the slowest shotgun weapon; all the other shotguns you get have insane rates of fire. But since you can collect literally thousands of health and armor points and the enemies can't deal enough damage to make a dent on anything but the highest skills, it doesn't matter.

Russian Overkill is mesmerizing in its complexity and options.

Reactions: Cyril Sneer

Megaroad 2012

FUCK IT UP, PIGFACE!
kiwifarms.net
I'm just too boomer for doom eternal. So much shit is happening so many different ways and reasons to kill so many demons and I'm always out of ammo and needing to spider man. I got four hours in and I still can't remember my controls lol

I'm sure it's a great game but phew it wears me out and more crazier than the last. Plus the general motion sickness I get from modern games isn't helping too, bane of my life.

Thankfully doom 64 is a romp to go through again for the first time in two decades.

• Feels
Reactions: Crustyguy

DrearyDoomguy

kiwifarms.net
I just managed to take out the Gladiator on Nightmare without using any extra lives. It never occurred to me until I watched a video of it that instead of shooting him to interrupt his charge after the sinusoidal energy waves, you simply dash out of the way and let him stun himself matador style. Once I figured that out everything sort of clicked and the fight became ten times more fun.

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
I just managed to take out the Gladiator on Nightmare without using any extra lives. It never occurred to me until I watched a video of it that instead of shooting him to interrupt his charge after the sinusoidal energy waves, you simply dash out of the way and let him stun himself matador style. Once I figured that out everything sort of clicked and the fight became ten times more fun.
Be sure to be shooting him while he’s doing that as well.

DrearyDoomguy

kiwifarms.net
Be sure to be shooting him while he’s doing that as well.
I just shoot at him instead of moving in for the quasi glory kill whenever I stagger him. I do easily 3 times the damage each time by cycling through rockets, ballista and chaingun. The chaingun especially will tear through that chump whenever he isn’t doing his nunchuck shield thing in the second phase.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I just 100%ed Plutonia and I'm looking for some more WADs in the same vein. Do you guys have any recommendations?
If you want a really tough mapset I would highly recommend Unholy Realms. It's pure intensity through and through, especially once you get to Map 12. The only thing that's bullshit is that it will occasionally force you to pistol start certain levels.

Eviternity's another good one. Great firefights and great level designs. It's also got some damn impressive visuals.

Stalphos Johnson

Very Spooky
kiwifarms.net
If you want a really tough mapset I would highly recommend Unholy Realms. It's pure intensity through and through, especially once you get to Map 12. The only thing that's bullshit is that it will occasionally force you to pistol start certain levels.

Eviternity's another good one. Great firefights and great level designs. It's also got some damn impressive visuals.
I've been playing Eviternity on and off and I've been enjoying that, but I'll give Unholy Realm a try. Looks really good from what I've seen.

SamTheEagle

What if the true lolcow is inside us?
kiwifarms.net
Reelism is one of my favorite Doom mods. It's an arena shooter with five rounds, each affected by three random reels that determine weapons, enemies, and other things such as environmental factors. Has a great sense of humor to it, too.
And it's getting a sequel.

Tags
None