Dota 2

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm just shocked that they reintroduced guilds back into DotA.

Scratch that, I'm even more shocked that they were somehow able to get SKELETON KING back from Blizzard.

Its still 'Wraith King', but I think they're feeling way more confident now that Blizzard basically destroyed their WC3 update and then tried to basically steal any new modes for it. That probably made them do it.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
Its still 'Wraith King', but I think they're feeling way more confident now that Blizzard basically destroyed their WC3 update and then tried to basically steal any new modes for it. That probably made them do it.
As they should be. If anyone's going to salvage what little of WC3's old community and culture is left, it might as well be Valve. Especially since Blizzard sat on his trademark for years doing nothing after they turned SK into Leoric.

...Okay, I mean if you wanna get really nitty-gritty with the lore: Wraith King was always technically Skeleton King, but it was more of a case that he became the Wraith King after Wraith-Night during the Blizzard of Frostivus, and has only now gone back to his old form per some more lore bullshit for TI10 but frankly: that's all just semantics.

It also helped that Valve had slowly added back in his old abilities/references to SK over time, with this basically being their gigantic wankfest to him. And I love it; he's basically Skeleton King in all but name and hero stats. I'll take that over no SK any day.

He has arisen again. All hail the Skeleton King.
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.53.15 AM.png

BlazikenLover

Cock lover was taken
kiwifarms.net
I once again find myself in a situation where I don't really want to play Dota but I do want to give Valve money for fancy hats and icons.
Yep, but then I think of all the time I would have to sink in relearning game I end up frustrated with more often than not. I quit around the time they changed the map (late 2016? 2017?) since I couldn't be arsed to relearn a lot of stuff, and yes I am aware these games change all the time but it had been the most drastic change since I began playing and been meaning to quit for a while anyways.
Plus I disliked the direction the game was going, with the changes being suited towards making the game more enjoyable to watch than play.

Arm_of_the_Lord

kiwifarms.net
Yep, but then I think of all the time I would have to sink in relearning game I end up frustrated with more often than not. I quit around the time they changed the map (late 2016? 2017?)

Yeah, I also quit a few months after 7.00 was released. Tried to get into it again last year but just didn't enjoy it anymore, not even when playing with friends.
I believe that the main reason for that is the fact that in modern Dota half the time I can't even understand what made my team win or lose. I had the same problem with LoL and Smite, which is the whole reason I preferred Dota back in the day.

Luigi

kiwifarms.net
I was doing research to find out how much money I'd have to spend to buy Leoric but then I heard his new voices and they don't sound like what they did back in my memory of Dota 2's Skeleton King (True).

It's a lot of money just to feel like playing Dota 2 again after being away for years, so I guess I'm not the target demographic.

Secret Asshole

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You'd basically have to do the $45 and then just play a fuckton of DotA. I mean, you can buy your way there instantly, but very few do that. They'll also come out with discount levels at some point too.

BlazikenLover

Cock lover was taken
kiwifarms.net
I was doing research to find out how much money I'd have to spend to buy Leoric but then I heard his new voices and they don't sound like what they did back in my memory of Dota 2's Skeleton King (True).

It's a lot of money just to feel like playing Dota 2 again after being away for years, so I guess I'm not the target demographic.
That's another reason that turned me off from Dota, I could understand arcanas being premium items, my problem was when they started to lock a lot of stuff behind battlepass levels that you couldn't realistically get without buying levels, buying the higher level battle pass and a booster helped you a little bit but that's it. I think it was the 2016 one that had a legion commander cosmetic locked behind level 200 or something ridicolous like that, that's when I realized battlepasses went from being a cool extra to boost the money pool of TI to trying to suck as much money as possible from whales.
I'm aware, they are only cosmetics, but that made me not want to buy another battlepass ever again, since buying the level 1 version and playing normally gets you next to nothing.

Secret Asshole

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I'm not going to lie to you. If you want anything, you absolutely have to buy the level 100 one. You will never make it otherwise.

2020 looks like its actually easier to gain levels. There's now guilds, the cavern crawl and you can recycle legendaries for points. 2019 was one of the hardest years to earn levels because they removed legendary recycling and there were less options. But you can get really high just by playing, I've done it before. And the stuff this year locked behind the levels is WAY better. I usually spend about $60-70 and then just play up to the level I want.

A prestige is basically a complete character swap, and you've got like 3 arcanas which are normally $30 bucks a pop. So even if you spend $90, you've made your money.

The reason I spend so much is that I've got like two family members who play, so by playing DotA we basically keep in touch. I've fallen out of it, so maybe this is a good time to get back in. If anyone wants back in, I can go over the changes.

SK is hats k i n o but why almost every Slark cosmetic has to be so fucking terrible?

This has been a joke since like 2015.

OmnipotentStupidity

kiwifarms.net
The reason I spend so much is that I've got like two family members who play, so by playing DotA we basically keep in touch. I've fallen out of it, so maybe this is a good time to get back in. If anyone wants back in, I can go over the changes.
I'm down to hearing exactly what's changed since Reborn, since that was around the last time I tried to seriously play the game in any major capacity.

Luigi

kiwifarms.net
Man, I have a friend who buys these passes every time since they started doing it, and usually he just buys whatever he wants day one. It's scary enough to make me sure to never get close to dota 2 again just to avoid the risk.

I can understand spending a little and get the pass but those levels are too high for normal people to achieve. I don't wanna spend the majority of my day in dota 2 as I used to (:_(

Secret Asshole

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm down to hearing exactly what's changed since Reborn, since that was around the last time I tried to seriously play the game in any major capacity.

Reborn? Wow. So you've been out quite awhile. Its going to be basically a new game for you

*There are no more side shops. They do not exist.
*The map is completely re-designed to balance Radiant and Dire
*Every single hero has an aghs upgrade
*Aghs can now be consumed so it doesn't take a slot (You lose the stats but retain the ultimate)
*Every single hero has a talent tree, so every hero is extremely versitile. Its one of the few MOBAs where nearly every hero can be played.
*There are two outposts on the map that can be captured to give you bonus exp starting at 10 minutes then at every 5.
*Rune spots are different and there are now bounty runes which reward gold

There's probably a shit ton I'm forgetting but these are the basics.

OmnipotentStupidity

kiwifarms.net
Reborn? Wow. So you've been out quite awhile. Its going to be basically a new game for you
Oh I haven't been completely gone since Reborn, I usually pick it up here and there for The Internationals just to get a basic idea of what's changed so there are a few basic things I know (see: rune locations, the talent trees, kinda-sorta the outposts, and son on), but it's always nice to have a proper comprehensive list to show what I have missed. For instance:
*Every single hero has an aghs upgrade
*Aghs can now be consumed so it doesn't take a slot (You lose the stats but retain the ultimate)
That was probably the big thing that's been screwing me over the whole time in my past games: I did not know that that was a thing. That would've been really helpful to know.
*Every single hero has a talent tree, so every hero is extremely versitile. Its one of the few MOBAs where nearly every hero can be played.
I noticed that and initially I thought it was amazing because it put less pressure on and would allow me to focus on gamesense and positioning more, but in using the talent trees: I could never figure out exactly what combination to go with for those. I distinctly remember during one of the few times I played in 2019, I tried using the in-game guide system made for the most recent build of the game to use as a bit of a crutch in Unranked to relearn after a year absence post-TI8, but our team still kept getting steamrolled and I kept getting flamed for having the wrong build, and not rotating properly because one of the heroes I picked kept getting trilaned at mid.

So this helps quite a bit. But honestly: even knowing all of these changes up front I think the biggest problem I'm going to face moving forward is the constantly changing meta and extremely high skill ceiling to understand the game.
With a game like League of Legends, because of how heroes are acquired in that game, the base level heroes you'll have and all heroes from that point are part of a specific position/playstyle that's told to you up front (i.e. X hero has ranged attacks needed for X lane), and that doesn't really change for the most part. The most you need to focus on is map knowledge, item management and teamwork. But that also means that there's little room to fuck up because everything's fairly simple, meaning if you DO fuck up you're going to shit on something fierce. DotA's a little less toxic in that regard, but the reverse happens; due to the fact that there is a lot to learn in DotA and because of how viable every hero is, everyone suddenly thinks they know everything in the world and if you didn't follow the strategy that they had in mind: you're stupid, don't know how to play the game, and are intentionally trying to ruin their games. And this was just my experience in Unranked trying to get into Ranked.

(Although saying that, as I was writing this I found out that they might've actually added a system exactly like the one I just described back in March 2020 while I was on a post-TI hiatus again, so - https://blog.dota2.com/2020/03/ranked-roles-update/ - that'll probably be a huge help.)

The response I've seen people have given newcomers these days is to have nearly 1,000 hours at a minimum and have played ~500 bot games to only JUST be able to grasp the basics of the game. ...Like, no. FUCK that. I can understand if by that many hours, you'd still be learning something new with how the game works, not for making rapid-fire calculations in my head at all times and needing to memorize.
...'Course I may just be overthinking it and have just had bad luck dealing with elitists, but that's the major thing that's been holding me back from actually getting into it proper, especially so post-Reborn.

The Reaper

Be more kind, my friends.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think right now is a weird time to get into Dota but also a good time. I haven't played as much on the latest patch, but there was some changes as to how gold and XP gets split during fights which I think helped out. Neutral items are not as cancerous anymore and allow for a little bit of build diversity while keeping it somewhat balanced. I have seen a few games where one team got the one item they needed and then proceeded to steam roll, but nothing like when an AM who failed hard and ended up with a 20 minute BF could enter the jungle and pick up what felt like 10k gold worth of items in five minutes. The outposts are nice for the little XP boost, vision, and TP spot they give, and they're also less stressful than the shrines. You can usually take a fight under the shrine due to the extended TP channel they have, but with the shrines it was a death sentence fighting into them.

From a support stance obs wards are free, which I don't love because it added some difficulty as to how I was gonna get to the next item and still have observers, but now I find I'm way more generous in sentry/smoke/dust purchases so it did have its benefits. I'd also suggest if you're pos 1-3 not being afraid to take a ward if you think you need the vision since they are free. I play with a lot of people who don't think about that and spam >We Need Wards. Its also unacceptable considering every player has a courier, and said courier's move speed is tied to player level, so a lvl six mid can fly out a ward faster than the lvl 4 support can walk one out. Just little things like that to be aware of now.

All in all I think the main focus would be playing your role and paying attention to the map. The outposts allow for fast and safe rotations as long as its under your control. I've been having fantastic games as hard and soft support just by paying attention and rotating if it looks like being there will change the fight. Because of the jungle items I think its also more important to try and emphasize five manning a little sooner to apply more pressure across the map. It can be debilitating to a team if the other side has all four t3 neutrals and they're sitting with none.

It also depends on how tolerant you are of dumb people. Pretty much every game I've lost this month has had TAHXIC player who died once and ran jungle or just blamed the person one role below them for all of their woes. There's also a few heroes who can just become unkillable with the correct items but that's not new. Its just shocking to see an AM reflect every spell cast for what feels like forever as he rips your team apart.

OmnipotentStupidity

kiwifarms.net
This has been out for awhile and I don't know if anyone else actually cares enough to update the thread with this, so ICYMI: Valve brought back Diretide.
The event is happening until December 12th.

Alongside this, Valve has made it so that even if you lose games, you'll still earn rewards which apparently wasn't ever a thing before. So even if you suck at the game, you can still participate and get free stuff.

Opiophile

You mess with the bull, you get the bull penis.
kiwifarms.net
Valve added a pretty massive update after the Diretide event ended. They added in Aghanim's Shards for every hero, giving them new abilities or upgrading existing ones, purchasable at 20 mins for 1400 gold. Pretty cool idea imo. Valve also added a new hero to the game....and it's a fucking furry. You would think by the big bushy tail and the fact that she shoots acorns that it would be a squirrel but it's a fox? Whatever. "Hoodwink" is her name, and as usual she broken as fuck. She's been nerfed somewhat, but still very annoying. Here's a link with all the info https://www.dota2.com/mistwoods .

In other Dota 2 news, the new DPC league shit started last week and has been decently interesting to watch. The best part is, Zyori seems to be missing from the casting talent, thank god. After his close call with almost being Me Too'd, this faggot 'came out' on Twitter as a 'crossdresser' a couple months ago, and has casted several tournaments wearing dresses and little Hello Kitty hairclips or bows in his hair. Do whatever you want in your own home, but don't display your fetishes when you are at your broadcasting job. Bets on how long it will be until he fully troons out?
fag.jpg

If you've never played Dota, now is a pretty good time to check it out!

BLEACHED.COM

kiwifarms.net
Valve added a pretty massive update after the Diretide event ended. They added in Aghanim's Shards for every hero, giving them new abilities or upgrading existing ones, purchasable at 20 mins for 1400 gold. Pretty cool idea imo. Valve also added a new hero to the game....and it's a fucking furry. You would think by the big bushy tail and the fact that she shoots acorns that it would be a squirrel but it's a fox? Whatever. "Hoodwink" is her name, and as usual she broken as fuck. She's been nerfed somewhat, but still very annoying. Here's a link with all the info https://www.dota2.com/mistwoods .

In other Dota 2 news, the new DPC league shit started last week and has been decently interesting to watch. The best part is, Zyori seems to be missing from the casting talent, thank god. After his close call with almost being Me Too'd, this faggot 'came out' on Twitter as a 'crossdresser' a couple months ago, and has casted several tournaments wearing dresses and little Hello Kitty hairclips or bows in his hair. Do whatever you want in your own home, but don't display your fetishes when you are at your broadcasting job. Bets on how long it will be until he fully troons out?

If you've never played Dota, now is a pretty good time to check it out!
Zyori always was a gigantic faggot; very cringe.

Lammy

lamb
kiwifarms.net
playing arc warden at low mmr is the most fun experience you can have in this game because literally nobody knows how to play against him
people will actually just stand in spark wraiths or run away from fluxes and you can splitpush like a madman 24/7 with your clone