Computer Science and Computer Violence
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Desktop: Gaming and heavy programming
Intel i5-8400
16GB 2400mhz RAM
1070Ti 8GB
1 x 1TB HDD
2 x 250GB SSD (for booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux)
^All of this is slapped into some Asus mATX motherboard.

Laptops: Basic productivity and programming

Thinkpad T430:
Intel i7-3632QM
16GB 2133mhz RAM
250GB SSD(running Ubuntu)

Thinkpad x230:
Intel i5-3320M
8GB 1600mhz RAM
500GB SSD(dual booting Mint 19 and Parrot OS)

I have a dual monitor setup on my desk and I switch between my desktop and laptops depending on what I'm doing.

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
Desktop:
4790k, turbo disabled (that extra 400mhz adds an extra 20c)
32gb Ram @2400
RX580 4GB w/2x92mm 4500RPM CPU fans rigged up instead of stock shroud/fan combo. Slightly better thermal/noise ratio.
Xubuntu (Primary OS) and W10 Pro for visual studio and a few games that can't be massaged into working well enough in linux.

Laptop:
screenshot.png

Last edited:

xr95

pEoPlE aRe DyInG!
kiwifarms.net
Desktop: Gaming and heavy programming
Intel i5-8400
16GB 2400mhz RAM
1070Ti 8GB
1 x 1TB HDD
2 x 250GB SSD (for booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux)
^All of this is slapped into some Asus mATX motherboard.

Laptops: Basic productivity and programming

Thinkpad T430:
Intel i7-3632QM
16GB 2133mhz RAM
250GB SSD(running Ubuntu)

Thinkpad x230:
Intel i5-3320M
8GB 1600mhz RAM
500GB SSD(dual booting Mint 19 and Parrot OS)

I have a dual monitor setup on my desk and I switch between my desktop and laptops depending on what I'm doing.
This is is pretty dope, not gonna lie

Reactions: Pissmaster General

Wilhelm Bittrich

Justice and free helicopter rides for all
kiwifarms.net
Ryzen 7 2700X
MSI X470 Gaming Pro
16GB Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz
Asus GeForce GTX 970 STRIX OC
1000GB WD Blue 3D NAND SSD (WDS100T2B0A)- 2,5"
1000GB Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX - 3,5"HDD

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
Just finished my system upgrade yesterday

Desktop:
i7 9700K 4.6 GHz 8 core
be quiet! Pro 4 cooler
32GB 3600MHz RAM
Vega 64
1x samsung 950 pro boot disk
2x crucial MX500 2TB SSDs in Raid 0
Asus MG279Q 1440p144hz monitor
Windows 10 pro

Laptop:
Acer chromebook C771
Core i5 6200u
8GB RAM
64GB eMMC
Glorious 1366x768 display
12 hour battery life
ChromeOS

Retro desktop:
Dell dimension e521
Athlon 64 x2 6400+ 3.2 GHz dual core
8GB 800mhz DDR2
Geforce 9800GT 1GB 55nm edition
Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
Creative X-fi elite pro EAX sound card
Windows XP SP4

Server: Dell poweredge R720
96GB 1333 mhz triple channel DDR3
twin 8 core xeons
(pending) 8 2tb WD black HDDs in RAID 6

And god knows how many other systems laying in my tech room. Eagerly awaiting a new 3080ti to replace my vega 64, albeit I had no idea how badly my faulty R7 1700 was bottlenecking my system.

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
Geforce 9800GT 1GB 55nm edition
I remember those.

they got a lot of life of that chip.

First it was the 8800gts, then they die shrunk it and relaunched it as the 9800gt, then i think it was tweaked or shrank again and relaunched as the gts 250.

Polish Hot Dog (spicie)

jestem najlepsza
kiwifarms.net
Lol, I don't know shit for dick about my PC but it runs GTA V at max specs so I don't care.
fag

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600, it's got all the 1st gen problems of shitty RAM compatibility and certain hangs, but it's still about 300% faster than what I used to run so I'm sittin pretty.
GPU: AMD RX 570 - a bit underwhelming after having it for so long, but it was, and is, a great bargain with a superb price to performance ratio.
RAM: 8GB DDR4, Corsair Vengeance @ 2400Mhz (the highest clock that was stable with the 1st gen Ryzen.

This was built around late 2016, for some heavy gaming use and light productivity.

Moist Nugget

kiwifarms.net
Won't give too many details since it could actually possibly dox me but

AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
32GB of fast RAM
2x Titan X (Pascal) in SLI
many TB of SSDs

AltisticRight

Matt Jarbo is not the father.
kiwifarms.net
Won't give too many details since it could actually possibly dox me but

AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
32GB of fast RAM
2x Titan X (Pascal) in SLI
many TB of SSDs
That's really nice! How are those titan heat generators doing? I heard the newer Titan RTX is one hot motherfucker, requiring watercooling. Not sure about Xs but they are still good, definitely beats my shitty GTX1060.
I guess you'd be looking at the 3950x... would be a beast. 8)

xr95

pEoPlE aRe DyInG!
kiwifarms.net
fag

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600, it's got all the 1st gen problems of shitty RAM compatibility and certain hangs, but it's still about 300% faster than what I used to run so I'm sittin pretty.
GPU: AMD RX 570 - a bit underwhelming after having it for so long, but it was, and is, a great bargain with a superb price to performance ratio.
RAM: 8GB DDR4, Corsair Vengeance @ 2400Mhz (the highest clock that was stable with the 1st gen Ryzen.

This was built around late 2016, for some heavy gaming use and light productivity.
Wait how did you get the RX 570 in 2016? The 500 series of cards released in 2017.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Deadwaste

Senor Cardgage Mortgage

Oh... I should eat a pony.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's partially a premade Cybertron computer but I took out a few things.
Replaced the piss poor Graphics Card (the card was so awful it could barely handle Fallout New Vegas) with a GTX 980 that I got from a friend (he barely used it)
Replaced the motherboard with a newer (I forgot what it was but its alot better)
added a Bluray Drive, mostly because the DVD Drive went busted not even a few months after I got the computer and I thought to just upgrade it instead.

Already came with a terabyte of storage and 8gbs of RAM, thinking of upgrading it within the next month or two.

Monitor is just a 3D Vizio TV my brother had and wanted to get rid of. Yes I occasionally play games in 3D.

Reactions: TheTism35

Tor Lugosi

kiwifarms.net
CPU: i7-7700K
GPU: 1080ti
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
MB: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Main Drive: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
Storage Drive: HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 4TB 7200 RPM
Case: Corsair 780T
Speakers: Logitech Z906 5.1

Music set-up:
Speakers: KEF Q350
Amp: Schiit Vidar
DAC: Topping D70

My monitor is some old-ish, cheap Acer 1080p one. I've been wanting to update it but I can't find anything I like that has a good mixture of features and decent price.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
Why not a 3700X or a 3900X? From what I understand the z390 platform will be dead in the water soon and the 3700/3800X is just 5 to 9% slower than the 9700K, is a bit cheaper and you get 8 extra threads.
"X platform will soon be dead" is a meme. Unless you buy new hardware every year, you'll be upgrading platforms long before your CPU needs upgraded (after all, once the 4000 series comes out in ~6 months, AM4 will be dead in the water as much as z390 is now). I upgraded to the 1700 over my ivy bridge i5 not because of the CPU, but because I wanted NVMe boot, and ivy bridge couldnt do it natively.

Extra threads are completely worthless for gaming, and anything I need to run that is thread happy, well, that twin 8 core 96GB server in my PC dox runs quite well.

Why switch back to intel? Well, AMD screwed me. Late September my 1700 started throwing hardware level cache errors that would hard lock the PC. I spent a month trying to get AMD to warranty the damn CPU. Fun fact if you want to buy AMD, all their customer support is done over email, with an average 3-4 days between responses. After a month, AMD finally demanded pictures of my build, which I sent. AMD stated that, since I used a 120mm watercooler instead of their cheap-ass loud aluminum block, they would not warranty my CPU and would need to buy a new one. I wasnt exactly keen on spending $300+ on the company that was weaseling out of their own warranty. Once I did the math, I was able to sell the old motherboard, cooler, and memory, and buy a new i7, mobo, cooler, and RAM for $400 or so, compared to $350+ for a 3700x after shipping and taxes.

Sidenote; intel will not refuse your warranty for using a high end cooler, and their warranty process takes hours instead of weeks, as they have *shocker* a phone number, and a live chat, not just a janky RMA form buried on their website!

ForgedBlades

Milled wedges.
kiwifarms.net
Main PC:

Built this piece of shit back in early 2015 for about $8,000 when it was all said and done (case, custom cables, semi-custom Swiftech liquid cooling, top of the line Noctua fans, top of the line overkill Seasonic PSU, overpriced Razer peripherals, etc.). I fucking hate myself when I think about what that money could have bought, and how stupid it is getting into dick waving contests with random people online. Shit is worth next to nothing now, as LGA2011-v3 was basically DOA, and I overpaid by getting in on the ground floor of DDR4.

The Titan X cards are from the 900 line. Replaced the motherboard a couple months ago after the original MSI board crapped out. Took two sticks of RAM with it, so I'm only rocking 16GB now as opposed to 32GB. It can still play everything at 60 FPS @ 1440p maxed out, but the latest stuff chugs a bit under 4K res.

Daily driver laptop:

ThinkPad X230 Tablet I bought off eBay about four years ago "as is" for $150. Replaced the motherboard, heatsink, HDD and RAM for dirt cheap and has been running great since.

Chassis is beat to shit, it's (relatively) heavy, the screen blows, and I never use it as a tablet but I love the cred that comes along with it, and it was fun as hell to rebuild. The batteries are becoming harder and harder to find though, so I'm afraid it'll have to head to the big trash bin in the sky once the two that I have finally shit the bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Haywood

Moist Nugget

kiwifarms.net
That's really nice! How are those titan heat generators doing? I heard the newer Titan RTX is one hot motherfucker, requiring watercooling. Not sure about Xs but they are still good, definitely beats my shitty GTX1060.
I guess you'd be looking at the 3950x... would be a beast. 8)
I was previously running an i7-4790k and was happy with it because for my use case all the 3D rendering happens on the Titan CUDA cores, but when I got a bonus check from work right when the 3900X came out, and I saw that it was a killer ass chip for only $500 I decided to upgrade. So while the 3950X is even more of a beast, it's not quite as good of a value. If the 3950X was out when I upgraded I probably would still have gone for the 3900X. Oh fuck who I am kidding, I would have gone for the 3950X cause fuck it lol. But I am way more than happy with the 3900X and it feels really good to have a kickass AMD again. I'll say that having 12 cores (and also 32GB over 16GB of ram) is sweet cause I can fire up Unity 3D, rendering program, watch youtube, etc etc all at once and it never breaks a sweat.

Yes the Titans get hot as shit-- stick your hand around the back during a render and it's no shit just like a hairdryer, but the case has good airflow so it's not really thermal throttling or anything. It can run full tilt for hours and be rock solid.

It also games pretty decent, too 😁

edit: also, the whole case is air cooled with Noctua. I'm not a fan of water cooling. I get some people really enjoy it and I'm not trying to knock it, but I want peace of mind that it's going to work hassle-free for years to come.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino