Dox your PC builds -

xr95

pEoPlE aRe DyInG!
kiwifarms.net
X platform will soon be dead" is a meme. Unless you buy new hardware every year, you'll be upgrading platforms long before your CPU needs upgraded (after all, once the 4000 series comes out in ~6 months, AM4 will be dead in the water as much as z390 is now). I upgraded to the 1700 over my ivy bridge i5 not because of the CPU, but because I wanted NVMe boot, and ivy bridge couldnt do it natively.
The problem with that argument though is that Intel killed the 100/200 series of boards when Coffee lake came out.. while AMD actively supported AM4 while on multiple node shrinks, something Intel will never do.

Extra threads are completely worthless for gaming, and anything I need to run that is thread happy, well, that twin 8 core 96GB server in my PC dox runs quite well.
This is completely false. Battlefield 4, 1 and 5 shows that the future is multi-threaded. DOOM 2016 loves CPU cores and threads, even with the Vulcan API. Even Tech Deals pointed out the i7 9700k has worse overall lows than the 3700/3800X.

Sidenote; intel will not refuse your warranty for using a high end cooler, and their warranty process takes hours instead of weeks, as they have *shocker* a phone number, and a live chat, not just a janky RMA form buried on their website!
I have never had a issue calling AMD with customer support. A buddy of mine was able to get his 2700X RMA'd and he has a water cooler too. He did his in August.

• Informative
Reactions: Jack Haywood

Moist Nugget

kiwifarms.net
Sidenote; intel will not refuse your warranty for using a high end cooler, and their warranty process takes hours instead of weeks, as they have *shocker* a phone number, and a live chat, not just a janky RMA form buried on their website!
Support is a factor often overlooked. Things like this make Microcenter's product replacement warranty worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: DNA_JACKED

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
Dell laptop with an AMD Ryzen 2500u with Radeon Vega Mobile.

As far as laptops go, it's fine. Viewing angle's a bit awkward and the battery kinda sucks. It's real finicky with games too; Mass Effect 1 and 2 run pretty good while Dusk and Deus Ex: Human Revolution make my laptop hot as hell. Older games are a bit weird too; I still don't get why Fallout 2 makes my laptop run like a jet engine, and I hate how Max Payne 1 and KOTOR stutter. But then I can turn on Unreal 1 and have a buttery smooth experience.

My hope is that I can build a decent mid-range PC this month so that I can play these games without burning my wrists.

Last edited:
  • Feels
Reactions: c-no

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
The problem with that argument though is that Intel killed the 100/200 series of boards when Coffee lake came out.. while AMD actively supported AM4 while on multiple node shrinks, something Intel will never do.
Dont forget how AMD killed FM1 after a single generation, same with AM1. FM2+ only got a single CPU generation. I could go on.

Not many people are upgrading from 6 or 7000 series intel to 8 or 9000. Most reviews for 9000 series intel CPUs are coming from 3000 or 4000 series owners, where the platform upgrade makes sense given DDR4 and NVMe support. For the majority of buyers, that motherboard being forward compatible doesnt mean anything. And given how many X570 AMD boards are selling to previous ryzen owners, it would seem AMD's own supporters dont care that much anyway when new features come out.

This is completely false. Battlefield 4, 1 and 5 shows that the future is multi-threaded. DOOM 2016 loves CPU cores and threads, even with the Vulcan API. Even Tech Deals pointed out the i7 9700k has worse overall lows than the 3700/3800X.
Of course, what you fail to mention is that the difference past 6 threads is almost meaningless. Taking a look at TPU's battlefield 1 benchmark:

OOOF. Looks like, in a CPU bound scenario, the 8700k is a whopping 6 FPS slower then a 9700k, from 268 to 262 FPS. Not that big of a difference my man. Somehow, I dont think having SMT is going to save AMD here, nor is it so necessary. Taking a look at the 3700x VS battlefield V:

Huh. Look at that. Despite having 2 more cores, substantially better performance, and SMT, the 3700x is still slower then the 6 core 6 thread 8600k. And despite having 2 more cores and 4 more threads then the 8700k, the best the 3700x can do is match the intel chip. That's a little awkward, almost like having extra cores and SMT/hyperthreading does positively jack shit in 99% of games, and by the time the CPU needs upgraded for performance reasons, the entire platform is long dead, so being able to put 3 different gens of CPUs into a board is kinda meaningless, and you are better off buying the best you can within your budget instead of wasting money on incremental updates every year.

For the record, my ivy bridge i5 still plays modern releases like borderlands 3, ace combat 7, and civ vi without issue, despite being almost a decade old.
I have never had a issue calling AMD with customer support. A buddy of mine was able to get his 2700X RMA'd and he has a water cooler too. He did his in August.
Interesting, as AMD has no phone number on their CPU warranty page:
Nor on their "contact us" page:
NOR their contact support page:
Meanwhile:
"This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan (HSF) that does not support operation of the AMD processor in conformance with AMD’s publicly available specifications. Use of HSF solutions determined by AMD as incapable of such performance or which are determined to have contributed to the failure of the processor shall invalidate the warranty. "

This line is used by AMD customer support to deny warranty requests if you use coolers other then theirs, even when said coolers comply with their specs, because how a cooler falls under complete compliance with AMD's specifications is known only to AMD's support team. I suspect the support teams, based out of india or somewhere similar, are understaffed and are given bonuses for low warranty numbers, leading to 72-96 hour response times and BS claim rejections like what I experienced.

Support is a factor often overlooked. Things like this make Microcenter's product replacement warranty worth it.
This is why I buy from amazon instead of newegg, despite newegg having better search tools and sometimes better prices. Amazon's no questions 30 day return/replacement policy is amazing for system builders that may need a week of testing to find a faulty part.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AltisticRight

AltisticRight

Matt Jarbo is not the father.
kiwifarms.net
I was previously running an i7-4790k and was happy with it because for my use case all the 3D rendering happens on the Titan CUDA cores, but when I got a bonus check from work right when the 3900X came out, and I saw that it was a killer ass chip for only $500 I decided to upgrade. So while the 3950X is even more of a beast, it's not quite as good of a value. If the 3950X was out when I upgraded I probably would still have gone for the 3900X. Oh fuck who I am kidding, I would have gone for the 3950X cause fuck it lol. But I am way more than happy with the 3900X and it feels really good to have a kickass AMD again. I'll say that having 12 cores (and also 32GB over 16GB of ram) is sweet cause I can fire up Unity 3D, rendering program, watch youtube, etc etc all at once and it never breaks a sweat.

Yes the Titans get hot as shit-- stick your hand around the back during a render and it's no shit just like a hairdryer, but the case has good airflow so it's not really thermal throttling or anything. It can run full tilt for hours and be rock solid.

It also games pretty decent, too 😁

edit: also, the whole case is air cooled with Noctua. I'm not a fan of water cooling. I get some people really enjoy it and I'm not trying to knock it, but I want peace of mind that it's going to work hassle-free for years to come.
It's said that adequate, top-of-the-line aircooling is just as good as water cooling off the shelf. The idea of making custom loops and shit is tiresome, it can be fun for hobbyists who also love the aesthetics.

The multicore AMD would be my choice too, I'd love to render a bunch of shit, have youtube playing in the back, all whilst using photoshop and running matlab crap. I hate matlab.

RTX gaming cards now support 10-bit colour too.
Love this, fuck those quadro cards... way too expensive. The stuff I do values multi threads, a 2070s is all I need.

The new 3960x, 3970x, and 3990x TRs are looking sexy too. My budget would probably only allow a 3900x.

Moist Nugget

kiwifarms.net
RTX gaming cards now support 10-bit colour too.
This makes me wonder if the $1299,99 titans were a market test. If you only care about gaming the Titans were never a good value, but they had features you otherwise couldn't get without spending 5x the price of a top-end gaming GPU. I jumped at the bit to get a Titan X(p) so I could have 12GB VRAM for modeling. I don't GIAF if 1080ti overclocked will give more FPS in games, if my scene needs 12GB that card is worthless. With the 10-bit color it seems they're throwing us some other bones for the high price. For a while I thought they were leaning heavy on GPU compute for AI shit exclusively, so I am glad to see they are looking broadly at all the prosumer market.

Dank Wankula

Wanking to the Bitter End
kiwifarms.net
A shitty old laptop hooked up to a monitor with all kinds of cords hanging off it. 2 cores @ 2.6ghz, no graphics card.

As it happens, i'm currently building a new desktop.
Ryzen 7 2700 (8 cores @ 3.2ghz/4.1 boost, $170)
Asus ROG Strix B450 mobo ($120)
RX 590 Fatboy 8gb ($200)
2 x 8gig corsair vengeance LPX ram ($70)
Crucial P1 1TB NVME ssd ($100)

~$800 for everything, will play just about anything at 1080p ultra 60fps and stream it too.
Really looking forward to the jump from USB 2.0 external hard drive speeds to NVME SSD speeds

NOMYBITCASH

Becoming Brown - Scotland Edition
kiwifarms.net
Main PC:

Built this piece of shit back in early 2015 for about $8,000 when it was all said and done (case, custom cables, semi-custom Swiftech liquid cooling, top of the line Noctua fans, top of the line overkill Seasonic PSU, overpriced Razer peripherals, etc.). I fucking hate myself when I think about what that money could have bought, and how stupid it is getting into dick waving contests with random people online. Shit is worth next to nothing now, as LGA2011-v3 was basically DOA, and I overpaid by getting in on the ground floor of DDR4.

The Titan X cards are from the 900 line. Replaced the motherboard a couple months ago after the original MSI board crapped out. Took two sticks of RAM with it, so I'm only rocking 16GB now as opposed to 32GB. It can still play everything at 60 FPS @ 1440p maxed out, but the latest stuff chugs a bit under 4K res.

Daily driver laptop:

ThinkPad X230 Tablet I bought off eBay about four years ago "as is" for $150. Replaced the motherboard, heatsink, HDD and RAM for dirt cheap and has been running great since.

Chassis is beat to shit, it's (relatively) heavy, the screen blows, and I never use it as a tablet but I love the cred that comes along with it, and it was fun as hell to rebuild. The batteries are becoming harder and harder to find though, so I'm afraid it'll have to head to the big trash bin in the sky once the two that I have finally shit the bed.
why would you willingly put speccy on your desktop after that spy/malware incident.

TO MAKE CLEAR

ccleaner was hacked infected with spyware and since they own speccy it is very possible it effected it aswell.

id recommend using powershell then installing screenfetch on windows.

like so

fetch.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Moist Nugget

Bongsnake McGee

kiwifarms.net
I play around with audio, video, compilers, VMs and shiet, and my hardware upgrade cycle is once every 5-7 years.

Desktop:
Supermicro H11DSi
2x Epyc 7301
2x Corsair H80i
128 GB Samsung 2133p ECC
Gigabyte Vega 56 HMB2
2x Inland 512GB 2280 M.2
Corsair RM850x
2x Dell 1980x1200 monitors
Monoprice Cherrry Blue switch keyboard thing.
Some noname "Gamer" chicom 13 dollar mouse.

Laptop:
Thinkpad X395

Server:
HP MiniServer Gen8

Waiting for 7452 epycs to drop in price so I can have 64 physical cores for utter exceptionalism, and for ram prices to drop so I can have more ram than space on my SSDs.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
Desktop: Old ass Lenovo tower

Windows 8
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6ghz
2TB HDD
16GB RAM
GTX 745 2GB

Have Linux Mint on seperate SSD/HDD combo but think the HDD is shitting the bed so been using Windows recently.

Question - thinking of getting a better graphics card, mostly for emulation. It handles anything up to Gamecube/PS2 mostly OK but struggles with some games. Any suggestions for a decent budget card that will give me solid performance?

Laptop: Thinkpad x230 with 120GB SSD running Linux Mint. Use mostly for traveling but thinking of getting a bigger HDD and using it to torrent shows/movies.

Fools Idol

Osea did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
i5- 6400
GTX 1050Ti
8 GB Ram
Two 1 TB WD Black HDD
Some random MSI motherboard.
I'm happy with the systems gaming performance (emulation could be better) but I definitely need to get a boot SSD.

I've been debating building or buying a NAS, I've got enough parts laying around to build it. I just don't want to deal with transferring all my shit over.

cjöcker

Bashar Al Assad
kiwifarms.net
My current computer has a 6700K (planning on upgrading to an R7 3700X) and Red Devil 5700XT, and the most cursed memory kit ever, 16GB of CL17 2133 DDR4 memory.

• Islamic Content
Reactions: Deadwaste

Stock Photo Hacker

Stock photo model, Chromebook owner
kiwifarms.net
i5- 6400
GTX 1050Ti
8 GB Ram
Two 1 TB WD Black HDD
Some random MSI motherboard.
I'm happy with the systems gaming performance (emulation could be better) but I definitely need to get a boot SSD.

I've been debating building or buying a NAS, I've got enough parts laying around to build it. I just don't want to deal with transferring all my shit over.
I hear a lot of people use their NAS for a Plex build. Should be good for a transcode or two if you get the right CPU.

Last edited:

Pissmaster General

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Laptop with a Core i7-7700HQ, and a GTX 1050Ti. That's my daily driver, and I really like this laptop. Plays whatever games I want fine, but the battery isn't great (though I did turn off all the battery conserving shit because muh framerate & muh speeds). Though if I were concerned about battery life for more basic applications, I'd either get a Surface, a Dell XPS, or a Macbook and install Windows on it.

I do wanna get some kind of ultrabook someday.

A buddy of mine's selling a 15 inch Macbook Pro 2011, he doesn't want a whole lot on it so I might just buy that to play around with, too.

• Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
Nerds.

I use a headless Gentoo file server with a bunch of old hard drives for general back up and media files.
I have a couple Desktops, one Gentoo and one ArchLinux (both AMD processors and nVidia GPUs)
Four laptops. One in my bedroom acting as a "cable box" for Amazon Prime, Netflix, and YouTube (while also taking advantage of the headless server). One downstairs in the entertainment center, basically doing the same as my bedroom laptop. And my work laptops.

Child & wife also have desktops and laptops.

Tablets, I've bought two, and then realized they are just toys. So I regret buying them.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Huh. Look at that. Despite having 2 more cores, substantially better performance, and SMT, the 3700x is still slower then the 6 core 6 thread 8600k. And despite having 2 more cores and 4 more threads then the 8700k, the best the 3700x can do is match the intel chip. That's a little awkward, almost like having extra cores and SMT/hyperthreading does positively jack shit in 99% of games, and by the time the CPU needs upgraded for performance reasons, the entire platform is long dead, so being able to put 3 different gens of CPUs into a board is kinda meaningless, and you are better off buying the best you can within your budget instead of wasting money on incremental updates every year.

For the record, my ivy bridge i5 still plays modern releases like borderlands 3, ace combat 7, and civ vi without issue, despite being almost a decade old.
Intel still have higher IPC than AMD and that is important in games, Intel probably have a better IMC as well which becomes very important at 260fps, things become really tight at extremes like that, and AMD had some trouble with memory speeds/timings not long ago. At 260fps a 4ghz processor can only spend 15 million cycles(or 15mhz) per frame and core so good IPC becomes very important.

Not that having a ton of cores helps that much in games anyway, I agree with that. Some developers utilize it well but it doesn't scale like offline rendering does and there are still big titles like Far Cry that are more or less single threaded. HT/SMT isn't always a benefit for games either, it can lower the performance.

I still want all the cores I can get so I can run more crap simultaneously and I will buy AMD with 100% certainty.

nippleonbonerfart

Boomer who ignores his wife
kiwifarms.net
P5-90 ( FDIV bug but whatevs )
24MB EDO RAM
33 MHz FSB
Vibra 16S sound card
Cirrus Logic Cl5446 with 1MB framebuffer (24 bit color FTW)
14.4 kbps modem
Double Speed CD-ROM
680 MB hard drive
1.44 mb high density floppy drive

Reactions: AmpleApricots

Jack Haywood

Interested in psychology, games and adventure
kiwifarms.net
My PC is nearly a decade old with its only modification being a RAM increase from 4 to 8GB this year, and it shows quite a lot.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635
GPU: Dell HD 5450
RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
Motherboard: Dell 04GJJT

I'm planning to upgrade to a better system by the end of next year which will be an X470 motherboard with a Ryzen 5 2700X CPU and an ASUS Radeon RX 560 GPU (which I've already obtained).
I was thinking of fully upgrading my original system at first, then I realised it's just a lost cause now that most modern games and applications for professional creative work are too powerful for it to ever be able to fully handle them even if every component was upgraded, and I'm going to have to get a more up-to-date system now that times have changed, especially since Windows 7 is losing extended support in 2 months.
I realised that the instant I tried to install the RX 560 onto my current PC - the metal square hook-like thing with the monitor sockets wouldn't even fit properly into the notches on my case... :(

Last edited:
  • Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
A600 with 1 MB ChipRAM plus official Commodore 1 MB ChipRAM & RTC Trapdoor Expansion board, plus 68010 CPU + 4 MB FastRAM expansion. That baby is soon wandering into a sleek plexiglas desktop case.

Joking aside (but a retro hardware thread would be fun, I have tons of that stuff) I'm mainly puttering along on an AMD A4-5000 SoC with 8GB RAM and Gentoo. The SoC is soldered on and the board costed like 60€ new when I got it. I like the low power consumption and the fact that it only needs a small and silent fan. I tried going lower power and smaller with ARM but it never quite worked out because ARM is either to slow or too poorly supported.

For gaming and heavy number crunching/compiling I got a headless (but not GPU-less) Ryzen I stream from via network. The Ryzen stands in the basement because it's loud as fuck.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino