Dox your PC builds -

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

Kill the meat, save the metal
kiwifarms.net
So my desktop has started freezing and BSoDing like crazy. Suspect the memory's gone bad, but I don't have sticks to swap in just yet. Might be a good excuse to upgrade to better RAM sticks anyway, if they ever come down in price that is.

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
So my desktop has started freezing and BSoDing like crazy. Suspect the memory's gone bad, but I don't have sticks to swap in just yet. Might be a good excuse to upgrade to better RAM sticks anyway, if they ever come down in price that is.
Damn dude you must be broke as fuck

Laptop (stole the screencap from the Linux thread because I can't be fucked to start it back up right now)
1576121462321.png

Desktop
1576121534253.png

I think my next bonus is gonna go to upping my desktop to something more modern and get off the crazy train of intel and its neverending stream of really fucking stupid security flaws

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
I am, but I fixed the problem, so no big deal. RAM clocking was off.
That's good, I am still not confident in any tool to accurately determine if RAM has gone bad. "Run stress tests until it crashes" is the norm and that's got too many other failure junctions to really work.

You had your clocking set manually, though?

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

kiwifarms.net
That's good, I am still not confident in any tool to accurately determine if RAM has gone bad. "Run stress tests until it crashes" is the norm and that's got too many other failure junctions to really work.

You had your clocking set manually, though?
Originally I did but at some point it got toggled back to XMP autosettings which were running it too slow (2133 instead of 2400). I'm guessing it happened when I flashed the BIOS, can't think of any other time it would have happened.

EDIT: That was a while ago, though, and this only started happening a month or two ago. Huh. Wonder if the CMOS battery is going or something?

Last edited:

GnomeofDoc

What? I like weird old guns.
kiwifarms.net
OK boys I need some help. I am getting into the VR meme, but I know my MB and CPU need an upgrade.
MSI Pro series intel 8th Gen LGA 1151 Atx (Z370-A Pro)
i5-8400 up to 4Ghz
Any suggestions of a good CPU MB combo?

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

kiwifarms.net
OK boys I need some help. I am getting into the VR meme, but I know my MB and CPU need an upgrade.
i5-8400 up to 4Ghz
If you're committed to Intel, I dunno. I haven't bothered with those since the P4s were a thing. If you're willing to go Ryzen, my R5 2600 paired with a Radeon RX580 can do VR, albeit not FANTASTICALLY. My rig is probably baseline for VR shit.

• Informative
Reactions: GnomeofDoc

GnomeofDoc

kiwifarms.net
If you're committed to Intel, I dunno. I haven't bothered with those since the P4s were a thing. If you're willing to go Ryzen, my R5 2600 paired with a Radeon RX580 can do VR, albeit not FANTASTICALLY. My rig is probably baseline for VR shit.
I got money to burn so it’s not that big of a deal. (Granted trying time keep in under like $550) I got a RTX 2070 8gig so I got the gpu all sorted just need a new cpu mb.

GnomeofDoc

kiwifarms.net
i think your specs are more than fine tbh
Yeah from what I have seen you really don’t need an i7 I have seen people use an i3 and it worked fine. But when I do get VR it won’t take that long to see if I need to update some of my other gear. But what I need is more SSDs baby

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
i5-8400 up to 4Ghz
You've already got a 6 core CPU. You really wont see any major increase in performance from a 8 core chip, either from intel or AMD, not enough to justify the cost IMO.

If you wanted to go now, I'd go 9700k or 3700x. For motherboards, from intel the gigabyte ultra and master z390 boards are quite nice. For AMD, same thing, the gigabyte boards are solid (if occasionally a tad buggy). The asus crosshair hero boards are nice, but not worth the high cost IMO.

Honestly, the 8400 shoud be pretty good, I'd wait for either the AMD 4000 series or for intel to finally get up off their ass and deliver a substantially faster CPU.

Daddy's Little Kitten

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
kiwifarms.net
speccs.PNG

Got her cheap from a pawn shop years ago. Obsolete, but she does OK. Has a touchscreen which pisses me off. There's another RAM slot but I don't think she needs more RAM.

Jack Haywood

Interested in psychology, games and adventure
kiwifarms.net
Alright, time for an update.

I finally assembled my new PC today, which consists of:
OS; Linux Mint
Motherboard Chipset: B450, micro-ATX
CPU; Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Radeon RX 560
RAM: DDR4-3200 16GB
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO

Since I forgot all about cloning my hard drive onto my M.2 drive, I now have to get an adapter to switch everything on my old PC over. The cold hard facts are that any version of Linux will never be as efficient or relevant as Windows 7 or 10 is.

Turd Cow

Battle Bottom
kiwifarms.net
Built this 3 weeks ago

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x (MicroCenter literally had it on sale for $129.99)
MoBo: Aorus B450m
GPU: Gigbyte Gaming OC gtx 1660 6gb
SSD: Inland Professional 480GB
RAM: G Skills Ripjaws V 16gb dual channel

All fitting inside of a Thermaltake versa h18 with a 650w modular psu

Reactions: Jack Haywood

Mr. Skeltal

Calcium fortified at your own risk
kiwifarms.net

R5 2600 with 4.2GHz overclock (cooled via Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black edition)
4x4Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM 3000MHz
MSI B450 Pro-VDH matx motherboard
Samsung 970 Evo M.2 drive 256Gb (New boot drive)
Toshiba HDD 500Gb(?) (Steam library + bulk storage)
Kingston SSD 128Gb(?) (Old boot drive, now for frequently played games)
MSI GTX 1660ti Ventus
Pcie 1x riser + pcie 1x internal USB 3.0 header expansion card
EVGA modular 650W gold cert. power supply.

5.25' bay shit:
Shitty DVD read/write drive, need to upgrade to a blu-ray+DVD+CD drive soon.
AFT 77u Pro card reader/USB hub

Rosewill Stealth midtower from 2015

i5 4690k capable of 4.25GHz OC
Old Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (pre AM4 compliant version)
G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2×4Gb RAM
Gigabyte Z97 atx motherboard
Pcie to NVME/M.2 adapter (for new boot drive)
Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce
Old case fans

Tags
None