Dr. Who -

TheImportantFart

Farty Towels
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Jay Exci and Stubagful had a chat about this episode. They don't even start talking about the Timeless Child twist until some way into the video - the first half is dedicated to breaking down why "The Timeless Children" is a shocking episode irrespective of the twist. The Timeless Child twist has become quite the piece of midirection. People were so pissed off by the retcon, they totally forget all the other problems with the episode and this vid does a really good job of focusing in on what those are:

Flexo

Can i get "kill all humans" on random.txt?
kiwifarms.net
Jay Exci and Stubagful had a chat about this episode. They don't even start talking about the Timeless Child twist until some way into the video - the first half is dedicated to breaking down why "The Timeless Children" is a shocking episode irrespective of the twist. The Timeless Child twist has become quite the piece of midirection. People were so pissed off by the retcon, they totally forget all the other problems with the episode and this vid does a really good job of focusing in on what those are:

Interesting. Jay is on Mauler's EFAPs isn't he? Needless to say, I always got the impression there were more differences between him and stubagful but maybe they make it work. Given the way stubagful was starting to defend Doctor 13 I was actually expecting him to try and support it.

ZMOT

kiwifarms.net
I’ve heard Broadchurch starts really good and then goes off the rails towards the end.
S1 is great but it falls on it's face when they try to extend the story/mystery further than that, which my gut tells me they only did because of it's ratings. still great acting and atmosphere apparently (stopped watching mid-s2)

EDIT; just remembered there's also an us remake, with tennant too, where they changed the ending and it's only single season. dunno which one is better, haven't seen the us version yet.

Last edited:

MsStevieMarie

kiwifarms.net
You know something I realized is how just before the 12th doctor regenerated he gave some advice to 13. That is Never to be cruel or cowardly. You would think that's obvious advice to receive for any doctor.

Except 13 failed at both things. She is both very cruel and cowardly.

She was cruel when Graham, her companion, confided to her he was scared about cancer, instead of inspiring him, 13 backed away because she was "omg socially awkward and quirky".
View attachment 1182369

And she was cowardly when she let a disposable human die in her place. After all, he was just an old man that was going to die soon anyway, and she was the super speshuall Timeless child. This video, someone made while I was writing this, even contrast 10 sacrificing himself for Wilf, and 13 runnings away to safety.

The differences are like night and day. And I'm not even the only one to notice it. She only needs to eat a pear to give a complete middle finger to Capaldi's farewell.

13 isn't an "upgrade" she is a downgrade over all the other doctors.
Tennant's Doctor sacrificed himself knowing (not acknowledging the new cannon) he only had one regeneration left. Meanwhile, Whittaker's Doctor, knowing she has infinite lives, runs like a scolded dog.

They have no self awareness and can't write protagonists with different beliefs than themselves so they just overwrite what was already established just so they can make their character a blatant self insert of their ideals
That's why they think their using this doctor to appeal to the female demographic yet Tennant already did that arguably 100 times more successful
The stereotype is that women all secretly hate each other. Perhaps when the media takes aim at misogynists for not eating their shit with a grin maybe they're looking at the wrong sex.

Cactuar King

kiwifarms.net
Tennant's Doctor sacrificed himself knowing (not acknowledging the new cannon) he only had one regeneration left. Meanwhile, Whittaker's Doctor, knowing she has infinite lives, runs like a scolded dog.

The stereotype is that women all secretly hate each other. Perhaps when the media takes aim at misogynists for not eating their shit with a grin maybe they're looking at the wrong sex.
Wasn't Tennant's thing that he also had a really strong sense of self, and that he viewed regeneration as basically the same as death, since effectively a whole new person would be getting up and walking off?

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
I just saw the fallout over the most recent episode. Going to go check it out and see just how bad this is.
Don't.

Wasn't Tennant's thing that he also had a really strong sense of self, and that he viewed regeneration as basically the same as death, since effectively a whole new person would be getting up and walking off?
Pretty much those exact words. His conversation with Wilf in the cafe in End of Time (terrible special with a few gems in it like this conversation). Ten says that even if some part of him lives, who he is dies and some new man goes walking away. This aspect of regeneration is something I have great attachment to because I think it can resonate with a lot of our selves - we change in life and who we are today is different to who were were some years ago. I also liked Eleven's final speech on this very point about "and that's a good thing". And he adds that "he will always remember when the Doctor was me". The two Doctor's endings are pretty much perfect complements to each other - a negative spin and a positive spin on the same event. One focusing on how we change as a loss, the other as a necessary move forward into something new. But neither disagreeing on the facts of the matter that it really is an end of someone and a gain.

Regeneration has always been one of the most brilliant aspects of Doctor Who / the Time Lords. Especially once we get past the first couple and they made more explicit that it was a psychological shake-up as well. It's brilliant because I think it's how a society of people who lived a thousand to two-thousand years old could function. Especially when those people were of genius intellect and had excellent memory. Even a simple person mostly focused on hedonism or survival would struggle to manage psychologically after a century or three. Much less the Time Lords. So every few centuries there's a massive reset and needed injection of chaos. I imagine a Time Lord marriage is something like "Till regeneration do us part". What the Time Lords have is an improvement on death - they get the benefits of moving forward but the continuity of knowledge and values.

"Change, Perri. And not a moment too soon."

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES! GRIND THEIR BONES INTO DIRT!
kiwifarms.net
You've already been answered, but I've seen it suggested that not only was Ten short-lived for a regeneration (how a being with the power of constant timeline jumping (yeah I know each person has their own timeline) ages consistently is beyond me) because from the Christmas special to TEOT in-universe was only what, like five years? To a timelord that's like living for two days and then all of a sudden you get struck by a meteor and I hope you enjoyed your short life. And upon googling like a sperg about the matter, someone suggested that every regeneration felt what Ten did to an extent, but given that up until that point they were constantly surrounded by their companions so they had to "put on a brave face". Also Eleven was meant to be his last and since he siphoned regeneration energy into his hand (making Smith actually 13 (counting War Doctor) I'm pretty sure he was meant to be the fuckin' Valeyard.

spencer reid

not spencer reid
kiwifarms.net
Finished watching Torchwood (A spinoff) and prefer that to current DW now. Wouldn't be surprised with what they're planning for the next companion if they end DW soon.

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
Finished watching Torchwood (A spinoff) and prefer that to current DW now. Wouldn't be surprised with what they're planning for the next companion if they end DW soon.
I never watched the series (barring the Cyberwoman opening episode which I understand was an unfair representation of the series), but I did watch Children of Earth and thought it was very, very good. Did you watch that or just the general series?

spencer reid

not spencer reid
kiwifarms.net
I never watched the series (barring the Cyberwoman opening episode which I understand was an unfair representation of the series), but I did watch Children of Earth and thought it was very, very good. Did you watch that or just the general series?
Children of earth stands as a good season by itself even without watching the previous seasons but I watched the general series.
I wasn't a fan of the cyberwoman episode either but enjoyed the rest of the series though people seem to like the second season the best. Gives extra context to children of earth (also makes the ending with Ianto sadder).

• Informative
Reactions: Pixy Misa

UnKillFill

Am I blue?
kiwifarms.net
Eh.. It's been a long while since I watched it, but I remember Torchwood being *mostly ok*, but I also remember it very clearly trying way too hard to be "Doctor Who, but edgy". Also, the main character chick with the shitty teeth was a total cunt, and I don't see myself ever changing my opinion on that. I specifically remember her cheating on her boyfriend (who later became her husband I think) with one of the loser guys she worked with, and then erasing his memory of her telling him with alien technology when he wasn't ok with it and would have probably left her.

Children of Earth was a decent story, but it utterly destroyed the character of Captain Jack- As in, the Doctor... if he was being portrayed even remotely correctly, should want nothing to do with Captain Jack ever again after finding out that he murdered his own grandson, even if it was to stop an alien threat. I bet if Jack shows up on the show proper again and actually meets the Doctor this time, this won't even be mentioned because Chinballs.

Miracle day was utter shit.

I haven't really been following the Torchwood Big Finish offerings, other than the one where Jack and Sixie switched places. (I liked that story, and even said so here, but I never actually listened to the other stories in that set haha.)

I might have to re-watch Torchwood though because I did cave and get The Sins of Captain John Mostly because I remember James Marsters being a highlight of Torchwood series 2. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Jodie Whitaker recorded a message in costume because of the Coronavirus and what to do and this is unironically the most Doctor-like she's been since she started playing the character.
She can't really be blamed for the absolute garbage scripts she has to work with. It's not surprising she could do a good job given remotely decent material. Fuck, reading the phone book would be better.

Tags
None