Dr. Who -

TheImportantFart

Henry Assman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This just makes me wish all the more that if they couldn't get #9 for the big 50th crossover, that #8 should have been the one to execute the Moment.

All love to John Hurt, I just REALLY wish McGann had been given his moment to shine.
If you listen to the Big Finish audios, you realise Eight could easily have been the one to fight the Time War. To The Death would have been a great lead in to him going off to fight the Daleks. That would also explain why he was only seen on TV once - his future selves wanted to forget most of their time as him because of what he did.

The Eighth Doctor is the bridge between the classic and new series so it would’ve made perfect sense from a 50th anniversary standpoint too. At least he showed up in some capacity I guess.

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I decided to watch Nu-Who from the beginning because it's been a while since I did that. I'm mostly trying to see if the character of Rose is really as terrible as I remember her being, but I'm trying to give her a clean slate and just judge her on her actions and not how I know she's going to be in future episodes. I don't even remember her getting *really* bad until series 2, when 10 was basically enabling her to be a selfish bitch in almost every episode.

So far, she's not off to a good start. Not even 15 minutes in to "Rose", and 9 is trying to keep her safe but out of the action (He previously told her not to tell anyone about the Autons because if she did, then those people would die.)
Her reaction? "How dare you not tell me what's going on. If you don't tell me what's going on right now, then I'm going to start telling people what I saw. You said that would get people killed right?"

What a miserable fucking cunt, I already hate her.

Edit: Ok, as far as she knows right now, her boyfriend (who she totally end up cheating on with the Doctor) is now dead... and she appears to be more put out over the fact that she's going to have to tell Mickey's mother that he died than she is upset that he's dead. What the fuck is wrong with this stupid bitch? Normally I would say ok yeah she's terrible now, but maybe she grows as a character and learns to be a less selfish cunt?

But I already know that isn't the case. If anything, she only gets worse.

Last edited:

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sadly Rose is only slightly better with 9 than 10.
9 at very least told her to shut the fuck up from time to time. 10 was usually just as stupid as she was, if not more so. (Or at very least that's how I remember it. I will say so if I change my opinion on that.)

Also, I just finished "Rose".
For no reason that I can fathom, Rose just called her mum Jackie, (who I can tell we aren't supposed to like, because she can be obnoxious... and yeah, in most other cases I would hate her, but...) I'm literally watching as Jackie tearfully warns her only daughter, whom she clearly loves, not to go outside because of how dangerous it is... And this sociopathic bitch Rose just laughs at how scared her (stupid) mother is *when she's the one who called her in the first place*, and Rose just hangs up on her without saying anything else.

I know I said I wasn't going to use my advance knowledge to prejudge Rose, but I do distinctly remember... This is the last interaction that Jackie will have with Rose again for at least a year in her time. (Because 9 fucked up bringing her home.) Fuck you Rose.

I know Rose didn't *know* that was going to happen, but why the hell was she so callous to her mum in the first place? Oh right, because she's a selfish bitch, even from the first episode.

Edit: I almost forgot the ending.

The Doctor: Hey by the way Rose, you can come with me, we can go anywhere you'd like, but your boyfriend can't come.
Rose: Oh, sorry I can't, I have to take care of my mum and this idiot.
The Doctor: Ok, see you around.
(The Doctor leaves but then immediately comes back.)
The Doctor: By the way, did I mention it also travels in time?
Rose (To Mickey): Thanks
Mickey: Thanks for what?
Rose: Exactly. (Leaves him for the Doctor.)

Go fuck yourself bitch.

Last edited:

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
9 at very least told her to shut the fuck up from time to time. 10 was usually just as stupid as she was, if not more so. (Or at very least that's how I remember it. I will say so if I change my opinion on that.)

Also, I just finished "Rose".
For no reason that I can fathom, Rose just called her mum Jackie, (who I can tell we aren't supposed to like, because she can be obnoxious... and yeah, in most other cases I would hate her, but...) I'm literally watching as Jackie tearfully warns her only daughter, whom she clearly loves, not to go outside because of how dangerous it is... And this sociopathic bitch Rose just laughs at how scared her (stupid) mother is *when she's the one who called her in the first place*, and Rose just hangs up on her without saying anything else.

I know I said I wasn't going to use my advance knowledge to prejudge Rose, but I do distinctly remember... This is the last interaction that Jackie will have with Rose again for at least a year in her time. (Because 9 fucked up bringing her home.) Fuck you Rose.

I know Rose didn't *know* that was going to happen, but why the hell was she so callous to her mum in the first place? Oh right, because she's a selfish bitch, even from the first episode.

Edit: I almost forgot the ending.

The Doctor: Hey by the way Rose, you can come with me, we can go anywhere you'd like, but your boyfriend can't come.

Go fuck yourself bitch.
The whole thing about the Doctor fawning over Rose never made any sense to me. She's useless and kind of odd looking. I liked Martha a lot because she wasn't a NEET and had useful skills of her own. She's the only one (before I stopped watching) that I can't see any real appeal to but they always act like she's the most important one ever.

Last edited:

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The whole thing about the Doctor fawning over Rose never made any sense to me. She's useless and kind of odd looking. I liked Martha a lot because she wasn't a NEET and had useful skills of her own.
I totally agree about Rose being useless. Of course she was. Why would a semi-immortal being think anything at all positive about a retarded chav like Rose? She is even dumber than most of the companions before her ever were, but... The thing is,*9* didn't even really fawn over Rose that much... But 10 did, and it's part of why I hated series 2 so much. Tennant was over-rated as fuck.

TheImportantFart

Henry Assman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think RTD realised he fucked up with this one because in the novelisation she actually has a proper conversation with her mum before running off.

But yeah, Rose is a selfish bitch, being stuck in a parallel universe is too good for her and the Moment should have been Susan Foreman.

Incidentally, I rewatched some of Series 2 and I can’t believe I once thought it was one of the worst, if not the worst series of the show ever. It’s a masterpiece compared to what’s airing now. How naive I was.

“New Earth”, Love and Monsters” and “Fear Her” are still shit though.

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But yeah, Rose is a selfish bitch, being stuck in a parallel universe is too good for her and the Moment should have been Susan Foreman.
I spent a long-ass time writing out my theoretical treatment for a better 50th, and while it's probably better that ended up lost to time, I'll still summarize it a bit.

"The War Doctor" should have been 8.
"The Moment" should have been Lucie Miller.

The surprise cliffhanger at the end of "The Name of the Doctor" should have been the birth of the Valeyard, and he should have been the main villain of the entire 50th Anniversary who 8, 9, 10, 11, (and even at the time, future 12), all had to team up to defeat..

Don't bother saving Gallifrey from the Time War in the 50th, it's not like that mattered anyway, aside from like one good Capaldi Episode.

The Valeyard should have been created by 11 jumping into his own time stream to save Clara after she did it to save him from the Great Intelligence. (Clara prime still should have died from this, but she could still show up from time to time as a side character, maybe even have a better version of her travel with 12 as the next companion.) The entire 50th should have been 11 coming to terms with his death, while trying to change both the future and the past so that his "final" regeneration is 12 and not the Valeyard.

Tookie

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Don't bother saving Gallifrey from the Time War in the 50th, it's not like that mattered anyway, aside from like one good Capaldi Episode.
If they were going to bring Gallifrey back, they should have had them just pop back into existence having nothing to do with the Doctor's actions and immediately go back to fucking with him constantly like on the classic series.

Flexo

Booze for every robot; a bullet for every human
kiwifarms.net
I spent a long-ass time writing out my theoretical treatment for a better 50th, and while it's probably better that ended up lost to time, I'll still summarize it a bit.

"The War Doctor" should have been 8.
"The Moment" should have been Lucie Miller.

The surprise cliffhanger at the end of "The Name of the Doctor" should have been the birth of the Valeyard, and he should have been the main villain of the entire 50th Anniversary who 8, 9, 10, 11, (and even at the time, future 12), all had to team up to defeat..

The Valeyard should have been created by 11 jumping into his own time stream to save Clara after she did it to save him from the Great Intelligence. (Clara prime still should have died from this, but she could still show up from time to time as a side character, maybe even have a better version of her travel with 12 as the next companion.) The entire 50th should have been 11 coming to terms with his death, while trying to change both the future and the past so that his "final" regeneration is 12 and not the Valeyard.
I honestly wouldn't mind Capaldi playing the Valeyard and being the villain of 12's initial season.

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

The 3rd Hooligan

I have no eyes but I must shitpost
kiwifarms.net
Anyone who guessed Big Finish was going to get pozzed, congratulations!

https://nerdist.com/article/doctor-who-rebecca-root-first-transgender-companion/

Rebecca Root on Playing DOCTOR WHO’s First Transgender Companion
by Riley Silverman • Jun 12 2020

0 COMMENTS
For years now, Big Finish audio dramas have allowed Doctor Who fans to travel with their favorite Doctor long after they’ve left the show. They’ve provided listeners with countless hours of content from the Time Lord’s adventures, as well as those of their noteworthy companions, and even a few one-off standouts who have gotten fresh days in the sun. The audio serials have also allowed writers to dig deep into areas less explored on the show, like the Time War, the subject of a large selection of Big Finish dramas.

The audio series allows for other avenues of exploration as well. Big Finish dramas can bring fresh new writers into the world of Doctor Who storytelling, like Lizbeth Myles, longtime cohost of the Verity podcast who began penning Big Finish Doctor Who audios last year.

This month, the audio series will mark a milestone in trans representation for the series. It’s the next in a series of trans voices to be involved with the long-running show. Bethany Black appeared in the television series in the ninth season’s “Sleep No More” as Number 474, a synthetically created human laborer known as a Grunt. On the writing front, Lilah Sturges, Juno Dawson, and Niki Haringsma have written Doctor Who comics and novels.

Now, with the upcoming audio series “Stranded,” part of Paul McGann’s Eighth Doctor Adventures, Doctor Who will introduce the first openly transgender character into the canonical narrative: Tania Bell, portrayed by British actress Rebecca Root. Root previously starred on the BBC comedy series Boy Meets Girl, making her the first trans actress to star in a sitcom. Nerdist spoke with her about her new role.

Nerdist: You’ve done a few different dramas already for Big Finish’s Doctor Who line, what’s your approach to acting for an audio-only format? How does it differ from your work as a screen actor?

Rebecca Root:
Acting for audio really only differs in that you don’t have to learn your lines—something of a relief when life is super busy—and you don’t need to move about as much. Apart from that, I approach an audio role as I would any other. Certainly, I have to prepare my voice rigorously and do all the character homework I would do for any other character.

You were pretty highly praised for your performance as Sable in “Zaltys.” How does your character in “Stranded” differ from her?

RR:
Was I? Thanks! Well, for a start, Sable was an alien, and Tania Bell is human…I would also say Sable was a bit of a badass, while Tania is much nicer. I hope that comes across!

“Stranded,” as its name implies, is an earthbound story. “Zaltys” was an alien world, and you were a Gallifreyan in the Time War series. If you had your pick your next Doctor Who setting, where would it be? Another alien world? The future, the past?

RR:
I would love to see a story set in the distant future, in a different galaxy/universe, to see whether the human race got their crap together and survived being such idiots. Similarly, it would be fun to do something set in the past to see if you could influence humanity’s idiocy differently…

Your character in “Stranded,” Tania Bell, is the first trans companion for the Doctor in canonical Doctor Who. Does that influence your performance at all?

RR:
Not really. She’s a person like all the other people I have played and hope to play in the future. She’s not perfect, but she’s not a mess, and certainly, I don’t think her gender identity has any influence on her behavior in the story.

What would it have meant for you as a kid to have had a character like Tania adventuring alongside the Doctor?

RR:
It would have been amazing to see a Trans person in a show like Doctor Who. In fact, to see a Trans person period would have been amazing. But I [grew] up in the ’70s and society was differently populated back then, and gender ID was not really “a thing.”

Is there any hope of Tania continuing to adventure with the Eighth Doctor after “Stranded”?

RR:
I hope so, very much. Perhaps even in a spinoff too, somewhere along the line, somewhere in time…

Riley Silverman is a contributing writer for Nerdist. She can be found on Twitter and Instagram. Her comedy album Intimate Apparel is available in digital formats.
Dont all 8th companions end up dead anyways? :biggrin:

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I watched Series 1, Episode 2 tonight. First thing's first, credit where it's due, "The End of the World" was actually a great concept for an episode... The execution? Well... (It was better than the first episode.)

It was also 'really great' how they opened up this episode with 9 swinging his dick around to impress Rose by taking her even further and further into the future. And it isn't creepy at all that a "900 year old" nearly immortal being is clearly trying to charm a 20 something, below-average intelligence Chav into falling in love with him. That isn't "problematic" at all... lol.

-I really wasn't a particular fan of the cavalcade of retarded aliens at the beginning of this episode. (Most of whom we have still never seen again 15ish years later.)
-"The Tree people" were easily the most interesting of these, and even though we haven't seen them again until the 2018's "New Earth" Big Finish box set (where the same actress plays the same character in a story which was... just ok.), I can still just say that they are one of many bad ideas that RTD had.

-A lot of people seem to want "The Face of Boe" to be confirmed as the future of Captain Jack Harkness... RTD even set up this "reveal" as early as the Series 3 Finale. (And I wouldn't be surprised at all if they 100% confirm that Jack is the Face of Boe at some point in the near future,) but that's fucking stupid, and doesn't make sense with the character as we've seen him up until now.

Captain Jack is immortal because the TARDIS revived him from death as a fixed point in time, when Rose was "Bad Wolf". They even gave a throwaway line that he's still aging, So that John Barrowman could still come back when he looks older... But even that barely makes sense. It makes even less sense that Captain Jack would "age" so much that he becomes a giant head, as large as his former body was, which is somehow capable of becoming pregnant?!?!!?
As stupid as that all was, "The Face of Boe" eventually dies. That's literally the one thing that an immortal fixed point in time can't do.... So yeah, no.

-It's weird that the last surviving human "Lady Cassandra" is a mtf tranny, but it's even weirder that 9 spends the majority of her introduction laughing and mugging for the camera at how ridiculous s/he looks. That probably wouldn't fly today, people have gotten canceled for less, lol... but aright. Of note, by his/her own admission, Lady Cassandra is likely *at least* 2000 years old (s/he claims to "not look a day over 2000", implying that s/he's even older than that...) This is actually more than twice as old as The Doctor himself supposedly is here.
O-o

-I may have been "slightly" wrong in my last commentary post. Rose *does* technically call her mum again in this episode... And she even talks to her a little bit this time... But to be fair, it isn't clear *when* this call is taking place in Jackie's timeline. It honestly seems like Rose is calling her mother before the previous episode. If it was *after* the previous episode for Jackie, even by like a day or two, surely she'd be frantically trying to figure out where her stupid Chav daughter was, and not just boringly doing her laundry, right?

-The use of a jukebox (called "an ipod" here, for comedic effect) to play "contemporary" music, (here called "Classical music") was fucking hilarious. First they played the Soft Cell version of "Tainted Love," and then they later played a shitty Britney Spears song that I had totally forgotten about until I saw this episode again, all while the Earth burned. It was... (wait for it...) Fantastic.

Quintex96

kiwifarms.net
F O R E S H A D O W I N G

• Agree
Reactions: UnKillFill

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Call me an old lady shaking my fist at clouds, but I've no desire to ever watch any Nu-Who. I've absorbed plenty of the general plot points through cultural osmosis, and what I've heard gives me no desire to go forward and watch it. It's like Alien 3 to me - a work that's probably well put together, and even has objective merits, but it's so fundamentally against everything I think the franchise should be that I just have no desire to see it. It sounds like the fanfiction.net version of Doctor Who with shipping and snark and "arc words" and other TV Tropes.com bullshit, and the people who made it knew exactly how to make it appeal to Millenials, so I can't fault them for making it the way they made it. It has been very successful. But I'm not the target audience for it anymore. Which makes me sad. I guess I'll go take some Geritol and go back to watching my Classic Who DVDs...

TheImportantFart

Henry Assman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Come back paradigm Daleks, all is forgiven.

I mentioned this further upthread, but one of my unpopular opinions about Doctor Who is the paradigm Daleks could’ve been a cool idea if they’d stuck with it and expanded the concept. The ones in Asylum of the Daleks with a more metallic paint job looked great.

That said, I also wasn’t terribly cut up when they stopped appearing, and if I was still invested in the current series, I’d want this thing to follow suit.

Since the episode’s called Revolution of Daleks, I’m going to assume these are the working class bolshy Daleks that rise up against their bourgeois bronze oppressors. Commie Daleks have been done before and done well (in Brotherhood of the Daleks), but Chibnall’s no Alan Barnes, so if they are going that route, I have no faith he’ll get it right. One of the points of Brotherhood of the Daleks was that no matter which side of the fence the extremist ideology comes from, it’s still shit. I imagine Chibnall would probably invite us to have sympathy for the revolutionaries.

He’s actually going to fuck the Daleks worse than them being programmed with a concept of mercy and having “Exterminate” being them saying “I love you” isn’t he? I’d be impressed if I wasn’t so depressed.

Tags
None