Dr. Who -

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the tall green one says the red one is from a closely related race, but not the same one. Him and his cohort also take ‘cactus’ as a slur, lol.
It's been a very long time since I've seen The End of Time (mostly because of how bad as a whole it is.). I totally believe you that they said that in the episode and I just forgot about it.... but either way, the makeup is decent on the midget, and it looks like total shit on the green guy.

Reactions: BroccoliBrain

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's been a very long time since I've seen The End of Time (mostly because of how bad as a whole it is.). I totally believe you that they said that in the episode and I just forgot about it.... but either way, the makeup is decent on the midget, and it looks like total shit on the green guy.
I think an early name for the green duo were the "Prostheticons" or something and that it would've been a tongue-in-cheek thing.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net
How fast are you rewatching these episodes? I’m tempted to follow along since everything else is shit these days.

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How fast are you rewatching these episodes? I’m tempted to follow along since everything else is shit these days.
So far, it's been no more than one episode a night, and not every night. This is more of a slow burn than a binge. You're welcome to join along if you want though!
The current plan is to watch at least up to the end of Series 2, because it's been ages since I've watched 2 in its entirety, and want to see if I still hate it as much as I remember.

It's "Dalek" tonight. I re-listened to Jubilee today so it's still fresh in my mind.
Speaking of Jubilee, holy shit is that story more relevant today than it even was when it was written 17ish years ago.

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of audio:
Big Finish has announced The Tenth Doctor and River Song box set

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dalek.

-
"Rose: When are we?
The Doctor: 2012
Rose: God that's so close, I should be 26."
Me: Ok, I guess Rose Tyler is either 4-5 years younger than Billie Piper is (I looked it up, Piper was 30 in 2012), or lying about her age as women are wont to do. Right on.

-I thought that Slitheen was the family name, not the species? Rose is all "look it's a Slitheen arm". (To be fair, Van Statten likely could have gotten that arm from the wreckage of 10 Downing Street, so she might "technically" be correct, but it'd still be like if I saw the arm of some guy named Ben Rodriguez on display in a museum and said, "Oh look, a Rodriguez arm.") I wouldn't make a big deal about it, but it was literally a plot point that Slitheen was their family name and not their species last episode.

-I definitely didn't appreciate the old school Cyberman head the first time I saw this episode back in 2005, but I do now. I sure wish that they would have used this design again before the show got canceled at the end of Series 10 and 12 refused to regenerate...

-
"Lackey 1: On behalf of all of us, I want to wish you a very happy birthday sir... And the president called to convey his best wishes.
Van Statten: The president is 10 points down, I want him replaced.
Lackey 1: I don't think that's very wise sir...
Van Statten: Thankyou so much for your opinion, you're fired. Get rid of him. Wipe his memory, put him on the road some place. Memphis, Minneapolis, somewhere beginning with 'M'.
(To Lackey 2, who runs in to take Lackey 1's place) So, the next president what do you think, Republican or Democrat?
Lackey 2: Democrat sir.
Van Statten: For what reason?
Lackey 2: They're... just so funny sir?

This exchange made me smile, and then like 2 seconds later Van Statten made a terrible pun. (How did the intruder get in? In tru da window.) Fuck you.

-Also of note, Van Statten isn't the same as current day "orange man bad" trope, even though I almost made the same mistake. This is "rich people are often assholes" which is definitely true, no matter what your political affiliation happens to be. (Indeed, Van Statten doesn't seem to care much about politics.)

-Ok, I can definitely see more similarities between Jubilee and Dalek than I had previously remembered, but there are also a lot of differences. (And usually the changes are for the worse from the original in my opinion.)

-"I own the internet," "No one owns the internet." (this was a joke at the time.) *sigh* I miss 2005.

-Rose met this stuckup soy boy 5 minutes ago, and she already wants to fuck him. What a whore.

-The Doctor is once again outsmarted by the villain of the episode. This time freely admitting that he's an alien to a man who is openly out to collect anything alien he can get his hands on, even and especially living specimens. Dumbass.

-Rose sure as shit picked a funny time to pretend to mimic human compassion. She probably saw the Dalek, and sensed a being with a similar nature.

-I forgot that the Dalek absorbed genetic material from Rose. No wonder it's so evil. Also in retrospect, Rose is directly responsible for the deaths of everyone in this episode.

-I don't get why Van Statten released 9, after he said "release me if you want to live" and then proceeded to ignore pretty much everything 9 said.

-"lol Daleks can't climb stairs, oh shit I guess they can." Yes, I too have seen Remembrance of the Daleks.

-"You would make a good Dalek." is an excellent line, especially in the context of the scene where it's said here.

-For "the man who never would" The Doctor sure is quick to pick up a BFG to kill the Dalek, even if he doesn't actually get to use it- He sure as shit *would* have, if Rose hadn't stood in his way (If he had used it, the result of the episode ultimately would have been the same though.)

-I'm not going into all the differences, but Jubilee was... Sooooo much better than Dalek in my opinion. If you haven't heard Jubilee before (and especially if you liked Dalek) check it out, it's fairly cheap these days.
You can definitely see how Dalek was influenced by Jubilee, but a lot was lost in the transfer from a 2 and a half hour audio drama (which if I'm being honest, did drag at least a little bit near the end) to a 45 minute television episode. Feel free to share your opinion though.

-Van Statten did nothing wrong. (aside from the shitty pun.) The Dalek wasn't going anywhere until Rose (or some other time traveler) touched it. Lackey 2 should be wiping Rose's brain, and leaving her someplace that begins with S.

-Rose still wants to bang Adam, even after he abandoned her to the Dalek. I guess the whore wants what the whore wants. I remember how this ends though, so overall it's funny.

Next episode is the one I always forget the name of (The Long Game), and Simon Pegg is in it. Also it's about fake news, years before that term was even officially coined if I remember correctly. I can't imagine how this could go bad...

Flexo

Booze for every robot; a bullet for every human
kiwifarms.net
I'm not going into all the differences, but Jubilee was... Sooooo much better than Dalek in my opinion. If you haven't heard Jubilee before (and especially if you liked Dalek) check it out, it's fairly cheap these days.
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-jubilee-206 You can definitely see how Dalek was influenced by Jubilee, but a lot was lost in the transfer from a 2 and a half hour audio drama (which if I'm being honest, did drag at least a little bit near the end) to a 45 minute television episode.
On the page you linked to.

The story that became 'Dalek' on TV. Although the televised episode in 2005 (starring Christopher Eccleston) ended up being very different in many important ways, this is the core of the idea that Russell T. Davies wanted writer Rob Shearman to develop. Find out how it all started...

• Agree
Reactions: UnKillFill

Judge Holden

Explorer in the further regions of autism
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
-Van Statten did nothing wrong. (aside from the shitty pun.) The Dalek wasn't going anywhere until Rose (or some other time traveler) touched it. Lackey 2 should be wiping Rose's brain, and leaving her someplace that begins with S.
Yeah, it would have been a lot more effective if they made this episode the two parter instead of the slitheen shit, and used this time to build up the Dalek as actively manipulating the humans around it into powering it up and restoring its weapons after it is confronted by the doctor and giving it access to more dangerous shit in the museum in the same vein as the original Jubilee story and Power of the Daleks instead of dumbass deus-ex time travel DNA machina. Hell it could even be the one to expose the doctor to van statten as a "dangerous yet insanely rare alien whose race nearly annihilated the universe" in order to have its biggest threat neutralised.

Furthermore, instead of "absorbed humanity from bitchchav and thus am now sad" being the reason it winds up killing itself, have it be a combination of Jubilee's take of "a dalek realises how its race will inevitably wipe itself out when it wins because it is literally incapable of anything other than killing" and some foreshadowing of the series finale of it being revealed to actually be a deserter from the Emperor Dalek due to its existential disgust at the human-DNA dalek/dalek ISIS schtick, which along with conversations with bitchchav result in it going insane and deciding that dying on its own terms rather than living in a forever impure universe is the only acceptable way out.

Flexo

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, it would have been a lot more effective if they made this episode the two parter instead of the slitheen shit, and used this time to build up the Dalek as actively manipulating the humans around it into powering it up and restoring its weapons after it is confronted by the doctor and giving it access to more dangerous shit in the museum in the same vein as the original Jubilee story and Power of the Daleks instead of dumbass deus-ex time travel DNA machina. Hell it could even be the one to expose the doctor to van statten as a "dangerous yet insanely rare alien whose race nearly annihilated the universe" in order to have its biggest threat neutralised.

Furthermore, instead of "absorbed humanity from bitchchav and thus am now sad" being the reason it winds up killing itself, have it be a combination of Jubilee's take of "a dalek realises how its race will inevitably wipe itself out when it wins because it is literally incapable of anything other than killing" and some foreshadowing of the series finale of it being revealed to actually be a deserter from the Emperor Dalek due to its existential disgust at the human-DNA dalek/dalek ISIS schtick, which along with conversations with bitchchav result in it going insane and deciding that dying on its own terms rather than living in a forever impure universe is the only acceptable way out.
I had only seen pieces of this episode, never the whole thing but your description suddenly makes me realize...

RTD has NO IDEA how DNA works, does he? I mean like... anti-knowledge of it. The "not even wrong" kind of knowledge.

(because I know what happens in the Manhattan Daleks story)

• Agree
Reactions: UnKillFill

TheImportantFart

Henry Assman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
RTD has NO IDEA how DNA works, does he? I mean like... anti-knowledge of it. The "not even wrong" kind of knowledge.

The worst part is, he got really pissy with James Strong, the director of “Partners in Crime” for having Miss Foster’s henchmen get electrocuted by an arch rather than a door for aesthetic reasons (because the Doctor would have had to electrify every arch in the building), but let the DNA travelling down a lightning strike caused by a solar flare thing get through. You can’t blame that on Helen Raynor either (at least I don’t think so). He would’ve written the final draft of that script.

Troonos

Regrettable Cake Farts
kiwifarms.net
This show is woke garbage now. It started to decline when Steven Moffat became showrunner. Now Chibnall is running it into the ground.

I had only seen pieces of this episode, never the whole thing but your description suddenly makes me realize...

Your first mistake was expecting anything in this children's show to make sense or have any depth. The whole series is a string of technobabble and deus ex machina resolutions. It's worse than Voyager.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net
Me: Ok, I guess Rose Tyler is either 4-5 years younger than Billie Piper is (I looked it up, Piper was 30 in 2012), or lying about her age as women are wont to do. Right on.
Oh, you didn’t actually know? Rose is supposed to be 19 at the start of Series 1 and at some point turns 20 I think?
Makes the romance angle between her and 9 a bit weird, like what 19 year old would be into him, he’s more like a surly uncle or something. From my POV as a kid though I thought not much of it because "the main people always turn into a couple on TV"

Flexo

kiwifarms.net
Your first mistake was expecting anything in this children's show to make sense or have any depth. The whole series is a string of technobabble and deus ex machina resolutions. It's worse than Voyager.
It's a shame when compared to the older episodes of the show - where the 2nd and 3rd doctor defeat Omega with a freaking recorder and it actually makes sense.

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh, you didn’t actually know? Rose is supposed to be 19 at the start of Series 1 and at some point turns 20 I think?
Makes the romance angle between her and 9 a bit weird, like what 19 year old would be into him, he’s more like a surly uncle or something. From my POV as a kid though I thought not much of it because "the main people always turn into a couple on TV"
Nah, I knew that Rose Tyler was meant to be several years younger than Billie Piper is (that was the joke.)

Cyclonus

kiwifarms.net
You know what might has worked? If the timeless child was the Master. And it wasn't just one rogue scientist experimenting on him, but was broadly supported by the entire Gallifreyan society because they needed regenerations to save their species from a deadly plague or something. And he suffered horrific indescribable so-bad-he-had-to-be-forcibly-restrained-to-stop-him-commiting-suicide agony during this which permanently fucked him up. And the Doctor was involved somehow. Maybe actually being the one doing the torturing is going to far, but the one who captured him and brought him to the research facility, hating himself for doing it, but knowing its the only way to save his race. And then they wiped both their memories and stuck the Master in an orphanage. And then he looked into the time vortex which brought it all back and inserted those fucking drums into his head which sent him completely over the edge.

I haven't read most of this thread and I stopped watching during Capaldi's run, so if anyone has suggested something like this or it's contradicted by canon then hit me with those autistic ratings. This might just be crap fanfiction, but that's pretty much what the show has become already.

TheImportantFart

Henry Assman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I haven't read most of this thread and I stopped watching during Capaldi's run, so if anyone has suggested something like this or it's contradicted by canon then hit me with those autistic ratings. This might just be crap fanfiction, but that's pretty much what the show has become already.
This has already been suggested many times. It still wouldn’t have been great, but it would’ve made more sense.

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Alright... I've been putting this off for a while, but I don't have the "I'd be double posting" excuse anymore... So here we go it's the "Fake News, more than a decade before that term caught on" episode: Episode 7 The Long Game

-Wow Rose is a cunt. She got that soyboy (who left her to die from the Dalek) from last episode to come with them, and literally the first thing she does is shut the door in his face while exiting the Tardis. The Doctor then for some reason explains in detail where they are, and only Rose hears it, (because she shut the door in Adam's stupid face.)

-After this- Rose, having been on only a handful of trips in the Tardis herself (By my count this is her 5th), immediately pretends to know everything about the space station they're on. This is played for laughs, but I can't help thinking Rose just shut the door on Adam's face so he wouldn't hear the Doctor say where they were and so she could then repeat it to look smarter than she actually is to the dude she (at the time) wanted to fuck.

-Adam, still being a soyboy, gets overwhelmed and cartoonishly faints after hearing about the futuristic Earth Empire. Without even turning to look and see if he's alright, 9 and Rose have this bizarre exchange.
9: He's your boyfriend.
Rose: Not anymore.
What the hell Rose? I was half joking about you wanting to fuck the new soyboy you just met... but could you at least *tell* Mickey that you've dumped him? Yeah it's obvious to anyone watching the show, but Mickey doesn't watch the show. I'm pretty sure he still thinks you're dating the next time you meet up.

-9: "Come on Adam, open your mind." Heh, foreshadowing.

-It's been a while since I've seen this episode, but I have the feeling I'm going to end it by saying that Adam did nothing wrong let's see how that turns out.*

-This is a *really* interesting characterization of 9. Something is seriously wrong to the future he's familiar with, and he knows it... so he sends both of his companions, including the one who's never done any of this before, to screw around while he looks into the problem. I'm not sure whether I like that or not, but it is interesting.

-9: "Look at me I'm stupid." Ok, that genuinely made me chuckle, especially with the little smile Eccleston does after saying it. Good job.

-"The Face of Boe has just announced that he's pregnant." This is one of the reasons I don't buy the whole "Captain Jack is the Face of Boe" theory. Jack is a lot of things, but unless they severely retconned things, "Biologically female" isn't one of them... Oh hell, who am I kidding, that isn't even a speedbump to the social justard writers of today. (Although it does make me severely doubt that he was originally *meant* to be the Face of Boe.) I always interpreted him claiming to be "The Face of Boe" (A figure who he almost definitely would have heard about, and with a little research could have figured out meant something to the Doctor as well) at the end of "Last of the Time Lords" as him fucking with the Doctor.

-Simon Pegg's first line in this episode: "Something it wrong... Something... Fictional." I told you this episode was about "Fake News".

-Cathica: "Okay, so... Ladies, Gentlemen, Multisex, Undecided, or Robot..." The sad thing is that this *joke* wouldn't be considered "inclusive" enough today, it'd possibly even be considered transphobic, lol.

-I think Suki might be retarded... Nevermind, she was only pretending to be retarded.

-Ok Rose, you don't know Adam from... err... Adam. Giving him the Tardis key was easily in the top stupidest things I've ever seen you do, and just proves that the Doctor was stupid to trust you with one.

-The Surgeon lady is very clearly trying to coerce Adam into getting the creepy head vagina thing, she isn't even being subtle about it. He doesn't want it at first (we originally see him actively grossed out about it), and the other chip would have worked with what he was trying to do... but she obviously wanted his money. I blame the dude who gave him unlimited credits and told him to go "open his mind". Oh wait, that was the Doctor...

-The "Jagrafess" is a shitty-looking CG uvula with a mouth. I heard he was meant to be a stand in for Rupert Murdoch, but I guess I just don't see a resemblance.

-Rose is literally too stupid to be able to repeat the name of the evil alien of the week- "The Jagrafess," 2 seconds after hearing someone else say it multiple times. Why does the Doctor constantly insist this retarded chav monkey is even remotely intelligent?

-The Doctor is clearly more pissed at Adam because him getting the chip in his head told bad guys of the week who he was, than any of the things Adam consciously did- i.e. tampering with the timeline or anything like that. 9 only seemed to even destroy the answering machine later out of spite. Weird that he never gets pissed at Rose for giving her Tardis key to the dude who neither of them even knew. (i.e. the only real consequences of this episode.)

-I wish I had more to say about this, but Simon Pegg was really great in this episode (as he usually is). My favorite line of his was at the very end when the giant uvula is boiling to death, "Actually sir, if it's all the same to you, I think I'll resign now. Bye." Haha.
-One random factoid I just found out, Pegg was originally meant to play Pete Tyler (Rose's father) in the very next episode, but scheduling conflicts had him play the Editor here instead.

-*So my earlier prediction was wrong. I *won't* say that Adam did nothing wrong... He obviously fucked up. However, the Doctor is also majorly at fault for not even trying to keep an eye on the companion who likely had questionable morals... (when they found him, he was happily working for a guy who literally tortured aliens and wiped employees memories with no problem,) on his first Tardis trip, and for handing him an unlimited credits stick and telling him to go have fun (and to "open his mind.") That surgeon lady was also partially responsible for encouraging him to get the expensive head chip when the smaller one would have worked for him. Dude's still a fucking soyboy though, and so I have no sympathy for him.

-All in all, I don't blame the Doctor for not wanting to travel with Adam anymore after this episode, I wouldn't either. (TBH, I wouldn't have wanted to travel with him to begin with.) But the way Adam was ditched this episode was hypocritical AF.
9: "Even one second of that answering machine message you sent could have changed the world, so I'm destroying it..."
Ok, right on Doctor, destroy that, nobody even blames you...
Also 9: "But it would be funny if I left you here on Earth with that head vagina that would most definitely change the world if anyone ever found out about it... But no, I won't even try to help you remove it. I'll even tease you by opening it a few times." NO Doctor, BAD.

-Rose, always having to one up the Doctor in cuntiness tells 9 to stop, and then opens it herself and laughs about it, because she's a cunt.

-The message of this episode was really muddled, but it honestly wasn't that bad. I was expecting a lot worse.

This is a bit of a spoiler, but it's something I've been neglecting talking about that has been relevant for most this series so far, and will only continue being relevant for the rest of the series. (And in this case long after...)
"Bad Wolf" isn't a fucking story arc. (And neither are any of RTD's other "Story Arcs")

"Bad Wolf" is a random phrase that gets repeated multiple times over the course of Series 1. It is utterly meaningless every time it gets mentioned (It would be totally forgotten if it didn't get repeated so often), and it will continue to remain meaningless until the 2 part finale of Series 1, where it's randomly the name that Rose Tyler/The Heart of the Tardis chooses to call itself. After that, we're meant to go back and connect the dots, but no... "Bad Wolf" is still meaningless. The sad part is, this is still easily the "best" RTD Story Arc.

It does *almost* mean something later when 10 and Rose say their 'goodbyes' at "Bad Wolf Bay" in a series or 2... But I'll get to that if I get to that.

I know a lot of people, myself included, still shit on Moffat... But he at least knew what a Story arc was. (And no, this isn't me saying that Moffat was 'better', or even 'worse' than RTD. I'm not prepared to make that comparison at the moment.) But I will say I don't believe that Nu-Who ever had a proper story arc until the cracks in time of Series 5.

Tags
None