Dr. Who -

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh no, I double posted... But hey @Mr. 0 was "Stranded 1" any good? (I haven't listened to it yet.)

Tom Baker as "A Future Doctor, or is he?" was probably the part of the 50th that pissed me off the most. At *very* best, he's something that the show proper will *NEVER* be able to follow up on, because let's face it- how many years does Tom Baker even have left? The dude's in his mid 80's now. I'd bet my family fortune (so in other words nothing :P) that old Baker *won't* be the next Doctor when Jodie finally leaves.

My *hope* is that 'Stranded' finds some way to explain how The Curator is just an old human dude who *isn't* the Doctor, but looks like an elderly 4 (and presumably even knows it, maybe because he met 4 earlier in his life.) This isn't even unprecedented... Multiple Doctors have doppelgangers. Off the top of my head, Doctors 1, 2, Sixie, 10 (if you count Big Finish- which of course I do),
*Edit: 11 literally encountered a "ganger" version of himself I originally forgot that for some reason, the reasons for this are different, but it still counts.*
and 12 (twice) all have doppelgangers.. who look/sound like them. Those Doctors obviously *don't* always meet their doppelgangers... But they have more times than not.

BF could even still make this hypothetical meeting between 4 and "The Curator" happen right now in their 4th Doctor Adventures if they really wanted to... And they could even come up with reasons why 11 didn't immediately recognize the Curator in the 50th... But nah, that's probably too much effort.

Last edited:

TheImportantFart

Henry Assman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh no, I double posted... But hey @Mr. 0 was "Stranded 1" any good? (I haven't listened to it yet.)
I've ordered it, but I'm waiting for the CD to arrive until I have a listen. I could listen to it right now since I have the download available, but I'm autistic and I prefer listening to the hard copy. If @Mr. 0 hasn't already listened to it, I'll report back my findings when I do.

I will say, Ravenous 4 was pretty damn good. Usually the Eighth Doctor boxsets start strong and then don't stick the landing, but Ravenous started weak and built to a very entertaining climax. My one gripe is

I think they killed off the Eleven too soon. I would've liked to see more of him in future boxsets, but given his earlier incarnations pop up all the time, maybe we haven't seen the last of him.

The other issue is Ravenous 4 ended on a pretty final note, whereas Doom Coalition 4 ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, so I don't have that momentum pulling me through to the next boxset. Still, I am interested to see what they do with this one.
Tom Baker as "A Future Doctor, or is he?" was probably the part of the 50th that pissed me off the most.
I... sort of like that part. I like the idea that when the Doctor ends his life by retiring somewhere peaceful and cycling through his old regenerations, sort of like how Sherlock Holmes became a beekeeper after retiring from detective work.

I will see what Stranded does with this though. Although the answer is still most likely to be inconclusive.

Reactions: UnKillFill

Mr. 0

god im not good at computer how did this get here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I haven't listened to Stranded yet, so @TheImportantFart is all clear for takeoff. Based on the setting I expect more down-to-earth dumb and creepy shit kind of like what pops up in Torchwood from time to time.

• Optimistic

Flexo

Booze for every robot; a bullet for every human
kiwifarms.net
My *hope* is that 'Stranded' finds some way to explain how The Curator is just an old human dude who *isn't* the Doctor, but looks like an elderly 4 (and presumably even knows it, maybe because he met 4 earlier in his life.) This isn't even unprecedented... Multiple Doctors have doppelgangers. Off the top of my head, Doctors 1, 2, Sixie, 10 (if you count Big Finish- which of course I do),
*Edit: 11 literally encountered a "ganger" version of himself I originally forgot that for some reason, the reasons for this are different, but it still counts.*
and 12 (twice) all have doppelgangers.. who look/sound like them. Those Doctors obviously *don't* always meet their doppelgangers... But they have more times than not.

BF could even still make this hypothetical meeting between 4 and "The Curator" happen right now in their 4th Doctor Adventures if they really wanted to... And they could even come up with reasons why 11 didn't immediately recognize the Curator in the 50th... But nah, that's probably too much effort.
I'll admit, I kind of like the Doctor having dopplegangers with no explanation. Enemy of the World is awesome and there was no reason Salamander looked like #2. It just bugs me that whole bit #12 had with his "I remember this face..." thing.

Just stop. Let mysteries float out there once in awhile.

Heck not even a human, I'd be fine with the Curator being an alien or maybe even another Time Lord sent to give the Doctor a message of hope.

(Of course that's assuming the new series didn't screw up Gallifrey and the Time Lords*.)

*You know, I think that's probably what bugged me most about the 50th. (or at least, is in the top 5 reasons) Is that part of me knew that the show would completely screw up Gallifrey and the Time Lords. And that goes back to End of Time (which I haven't seen, only SFDebris' review) but it just proved to me that modern Doc writers had no idea how to do an antagonistic force that wasn't completely evil. (Heck, they could even be good on the whole - and still be antagonistic of the Doctor.)

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's time for Fathers Day.

-9 gets outsmarted yet again this episode. A sad running theme for this series. This time, it's by a mentally retarded chav girl a fraction of his age.

-The purpose of having 9 and Rose attend Pete and Jackie's wedding appears to be showing us what a doofus Pete is, because he doesn't remember Jackie's absurdly pretentious full name right after hearing someone else say it. Guess he's his daughter's father after all. I love the little look of condescension on Roses's face when she sees what a bumbling fool he is, like she isn't just as dumb when it comes to repeating words that somebody just said.
rbf.png

Pete died.
-Stupid Britbongs, that's what you get for driving on the wrong side of the road.

-I'm glad 9 kicks Rose to the curb (at least tries to), but I don't really see his logic in leaving her in 1987. He at least dumped soyboy back in his proper time. (even though in *that* case it would have made more sense to leave him in the future, anachronistic hole in the head and all.)

-It would be pretty funny if 9 just picked the wrong police box to get into, and that's why it was the correct size on the inside. Fuck it, that's my official headcanon for this episode.

-Oh wow, this episode just Rickrolled me. That takes me back.

-You have to hand it to Pete, the same car tried to run him down 3 different times today, and some stupid monkey-faced chav just called him "dad", and he's taking it all in stride. I guess being married to Jackie Tyler for several years will do that to you.

-Lol, I forgot that a large chunk of this episode was a langoliers ripoff.

-Pete: "I gave you my car keys, you don't give your car keys to a complete stranger." Well I'm glad somebody said it.
I'm not buying for even one second that on some level he knew it was his daughter though.

-I'm not kidding, this scene between 9 and the (soon to be) married couple in the church, is very probably my favorite scene of Series 1 so far:
The married couple are rightly terrified, so they go up to the Doctor (because he "seems to know what's going on") while he's busy fortifying the walls or something, it isn't clear. 9 is a dismissive asshole to them at first. They call him "Mister" and he coldly corrects them with "It's Doctor" without even looking at them.
Then the wife begs "Can you save us?" And 9 stops what he's doing, actually turns to look at them, and then asks them who they (including their unborn child) are. It's subtle, and extremely well-acted. Eccleston switches from playing a character who is blatantly being an asshole, to a character who is trying to put up the facade of being an asshole against his better nature. Just like a man who has had to be an uncaring monster for a long time, but still actually cares deep down.

For seemingly no real reason, 9 (still a bit cold) asks the two, pointing to the wive's stomach, "How did all this get started?" (Wanting to hear their story.) He listens to them explain how they met, fell in love, and came to be getting married today. This comes to a head when the wife says "I know we're not important, but..." which leads to what I can only in retrospect (because this was my first Doctor Who series at the time when I first saw it) call the Doctor's true nature bubbling up to the surface, and he asks them: "Who says you're not important?"

His tone immediately shifts and he then proceeds to tell them that they in fact *are* important, about how special their story, how he's done things they can't even imagine but their story is still special, etc... and that Yes, he would try to save them. *This* is the good stuff. In the context of the narrative (The last survivor of the Time War with PTSD), I get why 9 couldn't *always* be this guy, but I do wish that 9 was this Doctor more often, because man when he was, he was fantastic.

-Pete (To Rose): "I suppose I thought you'd be a bit useless, what with my useless genes and all." Oh Pete, you have no idea. (Also, don't be so hard on yourself. She has her mother's useless genes as well.)

-Wow... Just wow. Pete just asked Rose if she had a bloke, and she's literally in the middle of saying that no she doesn't, when little kid Mickey for no reason runs in and hugs her. Again, I'm fairly sure 2005 Mickey is still under the impression that they're dating next time she shows up to the present in a few episodes. You have a fucking phone that can do it Rose, call his stupid ass and break up if that's what you want. SMDH.

-If it's so important that Rose not touch her younger self, one wonders why the Doctor was willing to leave her in 1987 with her dad (even though he later claims he wasn't going to.) Where that was almost certainly going to happen at least once when she didn't know any better.

Ok so let me get this straight:
-Last episode, soyboy made a dumb selfish mistake on his very first Tardis trip which had no lasting repercussions on the Doctor or anyone else, so he got dumped back to his own time with hole in his head that makes it unlikely he can ever live a normal life again.
-This episode, Rose who's had several Tardis trips under her belt by this point, made a dumb selfish mistake (albeit with slightly more honorable intentions) that may very well end the entire world in 1987, and her punishment is that she has to pretend to be really sorry?

Too bad for Adam he didn't have peroxide blonde hair, fake tits and a monkey face. He'd probably still be traveling with them.

-I'm convinced that Rose is the biggest villain of this whole series. Yeah Pete's the one who put baby Rose in her arms, but Rose just grabbed the baby, didn't even try to stop him, even knowing the consequences. At some point, you just have to say, she's either really stupid or really evil. (Why not both?)

-Man, I almost feel bad for hit and run guy. Almost (he's still a murderer who in the original timeline killed a guy and fled the scene) That's got to be hell to forced to keep circling around a church popping in and out of existence because you didn't kill the guy that fate said you were supposed to kill. The way it was shot was hilarious though.

-Wait... So Rose's actions here changed history? Hit and run guy stuck around now, and history now remembers Rose being at her dad's side when he died. Does history also remember the giant demons that almost ended life on the planet in 1987?

Oh whatever. I'm just glad that next time it's "Are you my mummy?" Moffat's first (official) episode.

Last edited:

Quintex96

kiwifarms.net
-I'm convinced that Rose is the biggest villain of this whole series. Yeah Pete's the one who put baby Rose in her arms, but Rose just grabbed the baby, didn't even try to stop him, even knowing the consequences. At some point, you just have to say, she's either really stupid or really evil. (Why not both?)

-Wait... So Rose's actions here changed history? Hit and run guy stuck around now, and history now remembers Rose being at her dad's side when he died. Does history also remember the giant demons that almost ended life on the planet in 1987?
My Fan Theory is that Pete placing baby Rose in adult Rose's arms creates the parralel universe we later see in Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel.

The majority of the Episode is sort of a 'bubble'. Everything from Rose saving Pete to him sacrificing himself exists outside of regular time, hence the Car driving in a loop and the older Doctor and Rose disappearing. I think it's one of those cases where only The Doctor and Rose remembers everything during the bubble and everyone else only remembers the altered timeline as Jackie only acknowledges Rose staying with Pete while he died, not flyng monsters or having met the Doctor before.

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
-Pete: "I gave you my car keys, you don't give your car keys to a complete stranger." Well I'm glad somebody said it.
I'm not buying for even one second that on some level he knew it was his daughter though.
Was probably a hurried cover for the real reason which was he wanted to get into her pants before he knew who she was.

I'm enjoying these reviews, btw. They make me chuckle.

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As long as people are still enjoying my... well I guess these aren't reviews... More like, drunken live reactions to episodes? I guess I'll keep them going. Hell, I'm enjoying them too. :)
I originally wanted to do a double feature of both parts of this 2 parter tonight, but this one's been a doozy, and I put a lot more effort into it than I usually do.

In addition to this being the first official Moffat-written story, and the first "really good" story of Nu Who (for most people anyway), this is also the first Doctor Who story that I distinctly remember watching. (well actually part 2 of it.)

This episode starts off with a bang... And a joke that I'm probably not British enough to get.

Mauve alert everybody!
mauve.png

(because Red alert is apparently too camp), we're going in.

-2 Minutes in and Rose hasn't said or done anything too obnoxious yet. This may be a record. Also, unlike 9, I'm really digging that Union Jack shirt, so we're already off to a good start.

-I'm going to try to ignore Rose's insistence that the Doctor "give her some Spock, for once..."
spock2.png
...because she's actually being the sensible one. She's asking why the Doctor isn't scanning for alien tech when they already showed up late, and have no clue what may have already been unleashed. 9 says nah, he'll just ask around for... reasons (I sure hope that doesn't come back to bite them in any way.)

-A child cries out loudly for his "mummy", late in the middle of the night. The Doctor *must* have heard this... Rose heard it, and she's standing like a foot away from him. I'm assuming that Timelord hearing is at *least* as good as stupid chav hearing is.
For some reason though, the Doctor doesn't give a shit. Instead he keeps trying to break into the random building for his "ask the locals" plan (which takes far longer than it probably should have, considering this is just a regular 1940's building.) and doesn't even care enough about Rose to see why she isn't following him after he goes inside.

-The point of this was obviously to split the two up, and I like that idea in theory, but the execution was stupid and I hate it. I especially don't like the implications of the Doctor blatantly ignoring a crying kid to go fuck around inside a nightclub that has nothing to do with the rest of this plot except for...

Ok ok, so tell me if you heard this one before: A Time-traveling alien follows a crashing space/time pod to Earth. Through no fault of his own, he arrives several weeks/months later than the pod does... but when he gets there, he doesn't bother using his own time machine to do any scans at all, not even the ones he normally does when he gets to a new random location after traveling through time and space. Despite all this, his (below-average intelligence) traveling companion asks him why he isn't using any of his superior technology to find that crashed pod. He has no real answer for her, and also ignores a crying child while trying to break into a random building so he can ask the locals if they saw the pod...

...So anyway, he breaks into a jazzy night club, and asks the club-goers if they've seen anything fall from the sky recently.... And it turns out he's in the middle of the 1941 London Blitz.

-Rose, who so far this episode has been acting far more intelligent and caring than the Doctor has, (in other words totally out of character for Rose), now grabs onto a random rope hanging from the sky without even bothering to see what that rope is hanging from. (in other words totally *in* character for Rose.) Her goal at this point is to somehow climb that rope and save the crying little kid that the Doctor ignored earlier (no I won't let this go)... So I'm going to give this stupidity another pass, because she's at least *trying* to be noble. That's a nice change for Rose Tyler.

-So yeah, that random rope that Rose climbed up without looking... Was attached to a German barrage balloon, so she's now somehow dangling hundreds of feet in the air over London in the middle of a blitz. Ruh roh...

-Ok, so *now* 9 is wondering where Rose went off to (While she's hanging on for dear life in the middle of a blitzed London). I guess your stand up career bombing in the middle of a literal London bombing is as good a time as any to go back to your roots Doctor.

-9: "You know, one day, just one day, maybe, I'm going to meet someone who gets the whole don't wander off thing."
You know 9, in *any* other situation, I'd be on your side here... But YOU'RE the one who ignored a crying child to go fuck around in a night club when the important stuff was going on outside. Rose.. -urrrgh- I'm throwing up in my mouth a little even *thinking* this... Rose did nothing wrong here. You did, you idiot.

-I'm drawing a blank here (I have not seen even close to every episode of Original Who yet.) so somebody please let me know... Is this the first time that the dummy phone on the Tardis ever rang?

-Ok. How did the fuck did that girl... Nancy I think her name was? (Who *is* your mummy, by the way kid, sorry for spoilers) just disappear like that? Is she Batman? Please tell me she's Batman.

-Sorry "Mummy" (it's a spoiler that I remember that, but most people reading this have already seen this episode anyway.) you aren't Robin Hood when you steal from people in the middle of the Blitz. For all you know, that's the first decent meal that family's had in ages and you and the cast of Oliver Twist just came in and stole it from them while they were cowering in a bunker.

-Rose falls to her death into Jack's tractor beam, and I wish that scene where she falls screaming had happened in any other episode so far, because Rose has been pretty ok so far this episode. I still laughed though.

-I'm old enough to chuckle at the joke of Captain Jack telling Rose to turn off her cel phone, and Rose saying that nobody believes that. (We totally didn't.) But I just said "Jack" and "Rose" in the same sentence and just realized that Moffat was cribbing from:
9f79b8f4-e39e-11e7-8ff5-d91dc767c75e_1280x720_123332.jpg

Especially in this episode. You never were subtle Moffat, I'm not sure why I thought you might have been this early on.
-Back to "Mummy": Hey bitch. Pretending to be polite, and making a bunch of little children also pretend to be polite, while you're all stealing food from somebody who you don't know's table doesn't make you a "guest." Fuck off with that shit.

I am not a fan of how 9 somehow *approved* of this...
"Mummy": (paraphrasing: We're stealing food from people we don't know, what's wrong with that?)
9: "What's wrong with it? It's brilliant. I'm not sure if it's Marxism in action or a West End musical."
Hmm... On second thought, breaking in and stealing food off the plate of someone you don't know, while they cower in fear, all because you've decided that they have too much, and it should be yours instead. I guess this really *is* Marxism in action. Right on.

-9: "And I want to find a blonde in a Union Jack. I mean a specific one. I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving." I chuckled.

-Jack: (To Rose) "You sort of have a boyfriend called Mickey Smith, but you consider yourself to be footloose and fancy free. Actually, the word you use is 'available' and 'very'." ...Nope. Not gonna say anything more about this topic right now.

-So Rose's fixation on Mr. Spock is apparently a running gag for this episode...
spock3.png

-Why does Jack tie up Rose's hands to use the nanogenes? This was somebody's (tbh... rather tame) bdsm fetish wasn't it?

-
"Mummy": How'd you follow me here?
9: I'm good at following, mate. I've got the nose for it.
"Mummy": People can't usually follow me if I don't want them to.
9: My nose has special powers.
"Mummy": Yeah? That's why it's uh...
9: What?
"Mummy": Nothing.
9: What?
"Mummy": Nothing. Do your ears have special powers too?
I laughed harder than I should have at that exchange.

-Rose: "Okay, we're standing in midair, on a spaceship, during a German air raid. Do you really think now's a good time to be coming on to me ?"
Oh Rose... You really don't know Jack.

-So Jack's all like, "I'll find the Doctor it will be easy, I'll just scan for alien tech." and Rose is all "Finally a professional." I know she's been creaming her panties for Mister Spock all episode, but it was extremely out of character for 9 to not scan ANYTHING at the beginning of all this (and all for the 'have you seen anything fall from the sky lately?' "joke.") Granted, he had to be... The Tardis would have found the crashed pod in 5 seconds if he looked for it, which would mean no episode. I just don't get why the show is pretending that the Doctor is always that stupid, because he usually isn't.

-I liked Doctor Constantine. It's funny, I recognize him now as Gaius from that 2008 BBC Merlin show which was... alright. But when I watched Merlin (which came later), I didn't recognize that actor from this episode. I'm sure that this actor has done plenty of other things over the years, but I'm not a Britbong, so my access to Britbong media is limited.

-Holy shit. That bit where Doctor Constantine woke up all the patients was super creepy, well done.

-No wonder Rose is so relatively likable in this episode. There are only so many units of bitch that an episode of any particular show can have before it collapses. Nancy (i.e. "Mummy") is the post master Bitch general of this episode. She literally wastes 9's time, leading him to Doctor Constantine, just so Constantine could tell 9 something that Nancy could have just as easily told 9 herself Even though it wasn't even true. Namely, that the creepy boy asking for "mummy" was her "brother".

-Constantine sputtering "Are... you.... my... mummy" as his face weirdly morphs into a gas mask is genuinely creepy. You might call this effect dated, but I still call it good shit. I guess the Doctor disagrees though.

-After seeing this, 9 keeps up the theme of him apparently not caring about anyone else this episode. He just walks away without even trying to help Constantine. What the fuck? Yeah, he hears Captain Jack calling for him, but he doesn't even fucking know Captain Jack yet. (Side note, Captain Jack is a lot farther away than that crying kid that 9 ignored earlier this episode.) Ok, did 9 and Rose switch personalities for this episode?

Or wait, Rose keeps mentioning Spock... (She apparently told Jack offscreen that the Doctor's name was Spock.) Is this the Doctor Who Mirror Universe? Sadly no it's not, but I have to admit Captain Jack calling the Doctor "Mister Spock" made me laugh enough to say that this stupid running joke was justified.

Also Rose drops the first of.. well, more than one "You're a Doctor, Doctor Who?" 's of Nu Who.

-Jack *finally* realizes that Rose isn't time agent... You know Jack, you have nobody to blame but yourself dude. She was always an idiot from the beginning, you just assumed that she was a time agent because you wanted to fuck her. (And you still do after learning she wasn't, because you always want to fuck everybody ever...)

-This was a good cliffhanger, a ton of gas maskers all closing in on our main characters... All asking "Are you my mummy?"
Tune in tomorrow night to see what happens next. (Even though you probably already know. lol.)
My guess is that the Doctor will dance at some point...

Last edited:

Damien Thorne

kiwifarms.net
I am a newbie who recently decided to start binging all the episodes available on BritBox. I plan on cancelling BritBox once I am done with this little lazy project of mine. I am regretting nothing about it so far.

• Informative

TheImportantFart

Henry Assman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've listened to Stranded 1. Here be my thoughts.

I rather enjoyed it overall. I'd rank it above Ravenous 1 and Dark Eyes 1, but below Doom Coalition 1. Your enjoyment however will depend on whether you like slower-paced, down to earth stories, or prefer something with a bit more momentum. When they say the Doctor's stranded, they really mean it. This is about as earthbound as things have ever gotten for Doctor Who. One of the stories is literally about the Doctor trying to track down a mugger. That's it. No sci-fi elements whatsoever.

I thought this made a nice change. I usually listen to these audios while I'm driving and the timey wimey stuff can be quite hard to keep track of in those circumstances, so I appreciated something that was easier to follow.

Oh yeah, I have to address the elephant with the inverted trunk in the room don't I? First up, there's been a bit of false advertising going around. I wouldn't really call Tania a companion strictly speaking (at least not yet) since there's no TARDIS, although if you follow the Companion Chronicles range (and if you don't, I recommend you do, because it's excellent), you know the definition of "companion" can get rather generous. The Doctor and co are based at his house in Baker Street in this story, which has been converted into flats since he was last there, and Tania's one of the people who lives in the building. It's also revealed that she's a

Torchwood operative.

As for whether the fact Tania's trans ever comes up... yeah, it does, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was with You Know Who and I found Tania substantially less annoying than Bliss from the Eighth Doctor Time War series (oh yeah, Time War 4's coming out soon. Thank fuck for Terry Molloy and Julia McKenzie), although that's not a particularly high bar to clear.

My one major quibble with the Tania character is they put her in a relationship with the Doctor's companion Liv. The two characters have no chemistry whatsoever and it feels incredibly forced. It also plays into a scene that made me laugh for all the wrong reasons. Although Rebecca Root passes reasonably well (before you laugh at me for saying that, please bear in mind this is Britfagistan and the average middle aged woman looks like this over here):

898870_v9_ba.jpg

she literally sounds like a gay man. So when she reveals to Liz that she's trans (to which Liz responds with "So what"), my first thought was:

I know we know because of the marketing, but the script treats it like a big dramatic reveal and all I was thinking was "Gee, what gave it away?" I just hope we're spared a stink ditch sex scene before this range is out. Given the fact that Tania's a

Torchwood operative

is kept secret from Liz, I can only see this ending badly.

The other new characters are a mixed bag. There's an elderly gay couple who live in one of the other flats in Baker Street and are a pair of casual racists which amused me. Good to know even LGBT characters can be bigots now. There's a whiny kid with daddy issues who's played by Peter Davison's son (how's that for a meta narrative?) and a trio of pajeet sisters who are kind of bland.

The Curator's barely in this. He shows up right at the beginning acting as a sort of guardian angel figure, and then disappears for the rest of the set. I knew things were going to be inconclusive in terms of who he was, but I was hoping we'd see more of him. The cynical side of me thinks this might just have been a marketing ploy to get people interested, and he'll never show up again in this series, but we'll see.

All that said, I thought this was a nice change of pace for the Eighth Doctor range. It might be a bit too sleepy for some though.

Tags
None