Dragon Ball Thread - Includes Z and Super (and GT if you really want to talk about that); also includes Abridged

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.
Q

QB 290

kiwifarms.net
I'd give dragonball super a solid 6/10.
you could expect it to be good and would be right most of the time, had some legitimately great moments and was perfect for world building. But it falters exactly where things like Rage of bahamut: virgin soul and Beelzebub does; it tries to put too much into too little. It had to split hundreds of characters into 131 episodes and it clearly had issues prioritizing where the attention should have gone. Tien is the most obvious example, guy's been there since dragonball yet he barely appeared, even Yamcha got one episode dedicated to him. The universe 6 saiyans are another good example, they had potential to be really fleshed out but they rushed through all the character development so they could still remain in the story and burned out all their interesting points before we could get attatched, not to mention Kale is literally just an excuse to say broly is sort of canon.
But for everyone they forget, they get at least 2 characters right. Vegeta has officially become one of the most moral characters due to the copious amounts of character development he's had and it was so well done i don't care. Piccolo got some great attention and one decent fight, everyone remembered 17 existed, super made Frieza awesome again, same with Roshi etc etc.
If it had properly organised its main cast and stuck to them, it would have seemed far more focused. 131 episodes is a huge single season and i do hope they make another, if only to correct the mistakes the first one left us.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh yeah, there's a Dragon Ball thread.

Well, might as well bring it up here: I started watching Super last week to prepare myself for the movie but also 'cause my little brother's been pestering me about it. While I'm not going in completely blind, I'm not too far in just yet, have to get past Frieza first. But I just want to throw out here that I'm a little happy they expanded a bit on some scenes like the Super Saiyan God ascension (with kick-ass music), that they brought in Captain Ginyu, showed us the consequences and frustration of Gohan having to put his studies over his training (when he should've found a balance), showed a bit of Goku and Vegeta's training in Beerus' world, and have dropped foreshadowing with the other Universes (so people who say to skip the first several episodes are denying viewers those little pleasures). Oh, and we got to see Vegeta keep his promise to Trunks (I honestly forgot he had made one to Trunks during the Buu Saga, so to see that come to play was pretty funny).

It does feel like something's a little off, though, whether in the change in art style or what, but it's not bothersome to me right now. Though granted, I'm not a huge DB fan; I like the series and all since first reading the manga in 2010, but so far I'm not seeing any real issue with it. Whis is so goddamn amazing, though, I love the guy and maybe that's because of Ian Sinclair's performance, I dunno, but I love him.

The Super YouTube community is fucking cancer, though. Like have these fuckers never appreciated/liked Dragon Ball prior to Super?

X-Shaped Weeaboo

Not another anime avatar!
kiwifarms.net
The Super YouTube community is fucking cancer, though. Like have these fuckers never appreciated/liked Dragon Ball prior to Super?

The divide on Super is insanity. Fans who prefer OG Dragonball tend to hate it because it feels like an exaggerated version of Z with only a focus on fighting, whereas Z fans hate it because there isn't enough serious combat and too many gags.

I personally see it as a fair middle ground between the two, with more of a push in OG Dragonball's direction thanks to downplaying major power-ups in favor of characters having strengths and weaknesses. (Though the Goku Black arc fucks this up.) Both tournament arcs feel familiar to the Tenkaichi tournaments of old, but admittedly with way more fluff than before.

Trombonista

SHE WANT MY DNA
Forum Staff
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, who's your favorite DB character? Mine's Gohan.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I didn't mind Super at all. I look forward to seeing the Broly movie in theaters.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, who's your favorite DB character? Mine's Gohan.

Piccolo--both of them, though Piccolo, Jr. has one of the most amazing character developments second to Vegeta. I love him even more-so nowadays watching as he became a surrogate uncle/grandpa to Pan in Super because it's so freaking hilarious just how protective he is of her, but it's really sweet just how much he's come full-circle as a character.