Dragon Quest -

jellycar

Actually Patty Hearst/Mariya Takeuchi
kiwifarms.net
Tried searching but didn't see a thread.

I haven't played DQ11 yet because I'm waiting for my copy of the Switch version to arrive. Thank god they changed the soundtrack. What were they thinking with those midi files?!

I have played the Warriors spinoff as well as DQ 7 and 8. I am stoked for 11. Here's hoping we get a 12th installment.

Marche

kiwifarms.net
My biggest complaint about Dragon quest is how it gets shit house localization that inserts accents and memes.

I have also noticed the consumer parasites who jump from game to game such as Persona 5, Danganronpa and Fire Emblem have set their eyes on it, while more Sales are a great thing for a series that has never done too well in the west I do hope that it does not become one of "those" games that are impossible to talk about or look up art of.

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slaying Anti-Lego Regiment
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My biggest complaint about Dragon quest is how it gets shit house localization that inserts accents and memes.

I have also noticed the consumer parasites who jump from game to game such as Persona 5, Danganronpa and Fire Emblem have set their eyes on it, while more Sales are a great thing for a series that has never done too well in the west I do hope that it does not become one of "those" games that are impossible to talk about or look up art of.
I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of what some characters were saying in the 3DS remake of DQ7.
Mayor of the second to last island said:
"Oi g'vnah, wet ded yuh fekeng seii uhbut mi mum?!"
Who thought this shit was a good idea? Sure it worked in VIII to a degree since there was actual voice acting in that, but that shit does not translate well at all to text, Square. Ya damn poofters.

And yeah I've seen that too and it worries me. Its clear consumer parasites are only interested now because of Smash bros adding DQ stuff to their damn game. It could lead to more sales which I hope means we get DQX one day and other untranslated games, but on the downside, the people who are showing up to the fanbase aren't exactly an enjoyable bunch, and I can see them bitching over DQ's more "problematic" elements or complaining about the gameplay being too old fashioned while making all sorts of cringeworthy art. I fear their needs may end up superseding those of long time fans or those who like it for what it is since Japan is taking more suggestions from foreign audiences since they're a bigger source of income.

jellycar

Actually Patty Hearst/Mariya Takeuchi
kiwifarms.net
Its still hilarious to me that Japan basically shut down the day one of the games released. Funny enough to be referenced in Yakuza.

The accents don't bother me. I actually prefer the UK dubbing. I'd rather not have to be stuck hearing Laura Bailey, Cristina Vee, Yuri Lowenthal, etc yet again.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Just Autistic Enough
kiwifarms.net
I played the first Dragon Warrior game as a GBC port and really liked it. Just a basic RPG by today’s standards, but enjoyable. I have Dragon Warrior 2 on the same cartridge, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.
I also played a 3D one on the DS, though it’s been so long I don’t remember we which one it was. I remember liking it, though.

The Shadow

Talk to the Hand
kiwifarms.net
I've only played Dragon Warrior on the NES and a little bit of DQ8 on the PS2 (admit it, most of us bought it for the FFXII demo disc)

Reactions: Violence Jack

Autumnal Equinox

Let me in...
kiwifarms.net
I'm not really big into JRPGs, but I have a soft spot for the Dragon Quest series. The first one on the NES was my first console RPG, VIII I think is one of the best RPGs from the PS2's library, even bought a DS back in the day just to play IX. I even loved VII and that one is considered the black sheep in the franchise. They're genuinely fun games that aren't full of themselves, don't take things too seriously and don't require a ton of dedication.

MrSugarcube

kiwifarms.net
Only experience was the demo for 8, and a rom of 9; wasn't a fan of the latter, but friends enjoyed it when I talked about it with them.
Really wanted to nab a copy of 8 for 3DS though, if for the convenience

E

ES 195

kiwifarms.net
I really enjoyed 5 on the DS, one of the best JRPGs I've played. 8 on PS2 was also fantastic but it became a bit of a long slog near the end.
One of my friends has started playing 11 and is loving it. He's really trying to get me to play it now so I'll probably give it a go soon.

• Agree
Reactions: Violence Jack

JamFlowMan

kiwifarms.net
Dragon Warrior for the Nes may have been the only game I had for that system bought from a store. The rest were hand me downs or yard sales etc. Didn't play another one until XI and really enjoyed it. After playing Jrpg's this gen like Persona 5 and Trails of Cold Steel (which were actually last gen games but whatever) it was kind of refreshing to go back to the classic fantasy setting and story.

Scandinadian Bacon

Jim Webb 2020
kiwifarms.net
Dragon Quest is the best JRPG series because it didn't sell out and turn into shitty teen melodrama. I'm looking at you Final Fantasy!!

I've been thoroughly enjoying Dragon Quest XIS. It was really concerning for a time when it looked like we weren't going to get the 3DS version, but thankfully they made it work. 2D mode is the tits and has all kinds of extra content. The spinoffs are pretty good as well. Rocket Slime was probably the best of those.

56.jpg
55.jpg
50.gif

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Dragon Quest is the best JRPG series because it didn't sell out and turn into shitty teen melodrama. I'm looking at you Final Fantasy!!

I've been thoroughly enjoying Dragon Quest XIS. It was really concerning for a time when it looked like we weren't going to get the 3DS version, but thankfully they made it work. 2D mode is the tits and has all kinds of extra content. The spinoffs are pretty good as well. Rocket Slime was probably the best of those.

View attachment 951739 View attachment 951738 View attachment 951740
Well this is a handy list. I loved DQVIII and I'm not a huge jrpg fan. DQV sounds cool, so I think I'll try that next

Scandinadian Bacon

Jim Webb 2020
kiwifarms.net
Tell you what though... joycon drift is a death blow to Dragon Quest XIS. Whoever thought it was a good idea to allow left analog stick inputs to progress text boxes needs to be hauled out back and shot. I'm losing huge chunks of story because the fucking analog stick is firing off at will. Handheld mode is useless.

Nintendo needs to go back to manufacturing their shit in Japan ASAP.

GeneralFriendliness

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well this is a handy list. I loved DQVIII and I'm not a huge jrpg fan. DQV sounds cool, so I think I'll try that next
DQV was one of the best RPG experiences for me within DQ. From birth to adulthood, watching the story of your character's life unfold before your eyes.

Scandinadian Bacon

Jim Webb 2020
kiwifarms.net
DQV was one of the best RPG experiences for me within DQ. From birth to adulthood, watching the story of your character's life unfold before your eyes.
V really was all-encompassing in a way that very few games ever come close to. It's one of those games where you think you're all done and the world is saved and then you come to find out that you are only 1/3 of the way through the game. Then you finish that part and buckle the fuck up, you're still not done! Oh yeah and then there's the post-game! DQ is always good about giving you solid post-game content.

I can't think of anything even remotely close to the moment when your character and your wife get turned to stone and then you have to play as your children in order to rescue yourself.

GeneralFriendliness

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
V really was all-encompassing in a way that very few games ever come close to. It's one of those games where you think you're all done and the world is saved and then you come to find out that you are only 1/3 of the way through the game. Then you finish that part and buckle the fuck up, you're still not done! Oh yeah and then there's the post-game! DQ is always good about giving you solid post-game content.

I can't think of anything even remotely close to the moment when your character and your wife get turned to stone and then you have to play as your children in order to rescue yourself.
After suffering through more than 10 long years of slavery because of a satanic cultist and his giant horse, you somehow manage to find some happiness in life again only for the same giant horse and the satanist to show up and ruin your life again by having you turned into an oversized garden gnome for another 10 years, making you miss out on your kids growing up while some other satanic cultists do who knows what horrors to the stone form of your wife.

Fuck that horse to Hell.
1569724548682.png

And fuck I love this game for making me hate a stupid horse so much.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino