DSP Professional Fighting Game Player Resume -

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

SoapQueen1

speed bump, failed business, retired tism wrangler
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I'm trying to collect a list of the tournaments DSP went to, from small mall tournaments to national competitions. The following list is what I've found so far:
  • 2004 EEC9 unknown, unknown (got 12-0'd in one matchup and lost $800 or so in money matches)
  • 2005 EvoEast 1st Place in SSF2T
  • 2005 Evo 4th Place in SSF2T
  • 2006 EvoEast 1st Place in HSF2
  • 2006 Evo not top 8, played HSF2
  • 2006 East Coast Championship XI 5th Place, played Vampire Savior
  • 2007 EvoEast 1st Place in SSF2T
  • 2007 Evo not top 8, played SSF2T
  • 2009 Evo unknown, played MvC2
  • 2010 Season's Beatings unknown, unknown
  • 2011 Winter Brawl 5 not top 8, played SSF2T and MvC3 (forfeit a bunch of games because his back hurt)
  • 2011 Final Round XIV unknown, played SSF2T
  • 2011 Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament 7 4th Place, played SSF2T
  • 2011 playnTrade MvC3 Launch Tournament 2nd Place, played MvC3

Synth

whatever
kiwifarms.net
Homie, you're gonna be trying to find that information forever.

There were tournaments monthly in like every state around Connecticut and even in state. Information was hardly ever tracked because shit was grassroots, and anything that was tracked was like just Top 8 for most tournies, and it was usually just a random post on SRK.

darkwingosonichugorl

kiwifarms.net
Was Phil actually good at these games, or was it that only a small amount of people were willing to spend the time and money to travel to all these tournaments?

SoapQueen1

speed bump, failed business, retired tism wrangler
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Was Phil actually good at these games, or was it that only a small amount of people were willing to spend the time and money to travel to all these tournaments?
As far as I can tell he did well at some regional tournaments. I don't know how many people attended these tournaments. He never did well at national tournaments except for the one in 2005 that was widely boycotted by other high-level players.

Reactions: Red Mask

Schmeckel

Praise 'til you're hollow
kiwifarms.net
Better than the casual quarter dropper, but not even anywhere on the realm of being able to gaze at Daigo's jock. Could he beat me in street fighter? Sure, but I'm a button masher that spams fireballs and has no concept of how to play "competitively." I might rattle off a couple rounds just jumping with Blanka.

Phil came along and got good (enough) in the infancy of the fighting game craze. And when he realized he wasn't king shit of turd mountain, he called it a career and rode high on his" #1 ranked US super turbo player" claim and that was his peak.

Immortal Technique

©™
kiwifarms.net
I'm piecing this one together because it just seems like a local tourney:
This guy posted hyping a tournament:
and in another post said DSP showed up to the one last year and got beat:
Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 10.22.04 PM.png

Edit:
@SoapQueen1 Found DSP on that site and it's a gold mine for small tourneys

Last edited:

Tim Buckley

Suffering
kiwifarms.net
Even on very small tournaments I'm surprised he got so many 1st 2nd and top 5 places, when he plays any fighting game on stream he unambiguously sucks ass, even LTG can beat him on any fighting game.

Did he he used to be better?

Dear Leader Pol Pot

kiwifarms.net
Even on very small tournaments I'm surprised he got so many 1st 2nd and top 5 places, when he plays any fighting game on stream he unambiguously sucks ass, even LTG can beat him on any fighting game.

Did he he used to be better?
Phil is an average player. You can see this when new fighting games come out. He bodies most people in the beginning when no one knows how to play it. After a few months when everyone else learns the game and the meta is all figured out , hes now back at the bottom. Same thing happened in SFT2.

Immortal Technique

©™
kiwifarms.net
Just some other small time stuff (some might duplicates in your list):
SSF4 launch tournament at PlayNTrade in Danbury, CT 2010 /// DSP gets 1st place

Waterbury SSF4 Tourney 7-11-10 - Rob vs. DSP /// DSP didn't win & don't know what place he got

SBO ST quals held in Nashville Tennessee on July 24, 2010 /// DSP got 2nd place

Marvel vs. capcom 3 midnight launch tournament at playnTrade in Danbury, CT on February 15, 2011 // DSP 1st

2011 Final Round said he placed top 8 in games styles he played

local MvC3 tournament held on Waterbury, CT on June 5, 2011 /// DSP didn't win & don't know what place he got

tournament held at Games, Etc. in Stratford, CT on June 12, 2011.
Ive stopped watching these to get the results:

tournaments held at Connecticon 2011, a gaming/anime convention held in Hartford, CT in July of 2011

Gameplay footage from the 11/1/08 ranbat event at Tokyo Game Action. This is some of the action from the Top 8

This was a match in the HD Remix singles at NEC9 2008

HD Remix @ PlayNTrade 2-7-09 Grand Finals - Damdai vs DSP

Winter Brawl HD Remix Grand Finals - DSP vs Damdai 2009

FYE Street Fighter 4 Tournament Waterbury, CT 4/25/09 - DSP vs. Dru

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
I admire what's trying to be done here - Too bad Phil can't get a real job, unfortunately. Contrary to popular belief, especially since Phil isn't good at gaming and never has been, despite what people will tell you.

Martys_not_smarty

You don't know what hard times are daddy.
kiwifarms.net
Phil is an average player. You can see this when new fighting games come out. He bodies most people in the beginning when no one knows how to play it. After a few months when everyone else learns the game and the meta is all figured out , hes now back at the bottom. Same thing happened in SFT2.
I've said it before several time, he is what they call in World of Tanks a sealclubber. he would have been back in the day one of the guys who got lucky enough to buy a Type-59 before they were banned and was able to pad his stats with it but in the modern meta he'd be below average.

Bad Headspace

Y e a h
kiwifarms.net
He is the eternal scrub who refuses to learn the mechanics of the game.

Reactions: LavosReee

Kheapathic

DSPGaming is just a YouTube channel
kiwifarms.net
He's a low level gatekeeper. He's good enough and has decent enough fundamentals, he'll be able to handle month 1 scrubs and people who are starting off. But those who've stayed dedicated as long (or longer) than he has, no contest. Brolylegs would be able to take Phil out, and that dude literally plays with his fucking face. Now that being said, could Phil beat me in SF2, yeah, would probably even trade in other SF versions. But it'd be beyond one-sided if he stepped into anime fighters; you think he rages hard when people knock him in SF, he'd wage-quit in record time if a semi-pro anything in BB got matched with him.

Tags
None