DuckTales thread - Ducktits woohoo

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I have finally started watching Season 2.

I'm a little over halfway, and overall, I am having way more fun with it than Season 1.

Season 1 was overall okay, but sadly fell short of my expectations. I had the following issues:

1) Not enough Scrooge/Donald-Way too much focus on the kids: Having read the original Carl Barks comics and watched the original show, my main reason for checking out any kind of return for Duck Tales was to see Scrooge McDuck back in action with Donald as a more regular presence this time around than in the original show. I felt like that was what was promised initially, but they really leaned into focusing the stories on Huey, Dewey, Louie, and especially Webby. I get that they wanted to improve Webby from the annoying "Aren't I pwecious?" character she was in the old show, but she wasn't really a major focus in the old show either, so fixing her and then making her the main focus was just making me go "Um, where's Donald?". And there were times where it felt like they were deliberately keeping Donald out of the action. When the focus was on Scrooge (like the episode with Glittering Goldie, my personal fav ep of Season 1), it was great, and on the rare occasion Donald got involved, it was also great. But I felt like I was waiting forever to see Scrooge and Donald and getting fed way too much of the kids and their antics.

I felt like telling the showrunners "Guys, I'm here for Scrooge, Donald, and to a lesser extent Launchpad (more on him later)....I'm not really here for the kids" and that was the case when I was a youngin' myself. Scrooge and Donald are two of my favorite cartoon characters of all time, so to see them return in any form is exciting to me, and I was disappointed that the focus wasn't on them.

2) Glomgold is a blithering idiot: Again, my feelings stem from the fact that I've read the old comics and watched the old show, but I don't know how they decided that Glomgold, Scrooge's greatest financial rival and his near equal, should be a loud mouthed ignoramus. He was always a devious schemer that would get over on Scrooge, and basically, when he was at his best, he was Scrooge without a heart, sort of like an image of what Scrooge could be if he didn't have his family to ground him. I'm not saying I need him to be a bloodthirsty monster. This is a kid's show, but alot of the humor from Scrooge and Glomgold's rivalry always came from how equally matched they were and how petty they would both get to try and one up the other. This version is just an obnoxious, boisterous, and spastic wacko that tries too hard to be funny, but fails miserably. He's too stupid to be a believable rival to Scrooge, and his not funny as a spaz, so his presence was generally more irritating than welcomed. Honestly, for a show as weird as this, the most unbelievable thing in it might be that Glomgold is the 2nd richest duck in the world because he is literally too dumb to be this successful.

3) Launchpad isn't quite right: Building off of what I said with Glomgold, I think they made Launchpad a little too stupid. I know he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer in the original show, but there was a kid like courageousness to him that made him lovable. I can't speak for all the other kids that watched back in the day, but I didn't love Launchpad because he was stupid. I loved him because he tried his very best and took pride in what he did, even when he failed (he took his crashes to be a badge of honor...how can you not love that?). But in the 2017 version, he is just a straight up moron, lacking the charm and most of the bravery of the original version of the character. There are some funny gags with him (such as him having these amazing underwater adventures with a love interest that happens all off screen) but generally, I feel like they missed the point on what made Launchpad so likable to begin with. To highlight what I mean: The old Launchpad is a Dudley Do-Right type of character, but this new version is something more akin to Stimpy or Patrick from Spongebob...just completely stupid. Actually, the character of Storkules (sp?) that has been featured a bit more in Season 2 is closer to what I would have liked Launchpad to be.

Now that's not to say the show's first season was bad. There was stuff I actually really liked, such as the visual style being modeled more after the comics, some neat callbacks, and fun execution of other characters such as Magica DeSpell and Doofus Drake (who I feel was greatly improved in this reboot). Given that I am a huge Scrooge fan, I am obviously going to be weary of any new voices taking over for Alan Young, but I think David Tennant has been great in the role thus far. There was plenty to like, but I also felt there was plenty of room for improvement too.

Now I am about halfway through Season 2, and I gotta say, it feels like they fixed most of my issues:

- Donald has played a much bigger role and it has been great. The Three Cabarellos reunion episode was fantastic, and he's been given alot more to do whether it be going on the adventures, hanging out with the kids, dealing with Storkules, or just trying to get away from all the crazy around him. Donald is great and he has gotten some time to shine this season and that made me happy.
- Scrooge is firmly the main focus of the show now, which it feels like it should have been that way all along. He's the focal point that brought all these characters together, so it makes sense to me that most of the episodes should be either centered on him or a result of him putting everything into motion. And because Donald and Scrooge have been given more of a spotlight, I actually find myself liking the kids a little bit more since I'm not wondering where the heck the adults are.
- Glomgold...is still a blithering idiot that annoys me most of the time he is on screen but at least they did a couple of things with him that were more substantial than what they did last season. They did an amnesia episode with him that was actually pretty good, and they also gave him an underling that at least keeps him in check. They couldn't completely overhaul and change the character because that would make no sense in keeping continuity with Season 1, but at least they found a few ways to make it work better than it had before.
- In the first half of Season 2, Launchpad is barely in it, so there hasn't really been much indication that they've fixed him. Actually, in addition to Storkules, Della Duck has come in and she's a bit of a crazed pilot too, so with the two of them around, I wonder if they even need Launchpad at all. I hear they did something with Darkwing Duck and Launchpad gets roped into that, but I'll comment on it when I get there.
- Speaking of Della Duck...she's great! Very likable, excitable, and being the sister of Donald Duck, she has some of his impatience and temper, and it is pretty funny whenever that part of her comes out. The whole episode centered around her trying to get off the moon was a risky one: They spent an entire episode on a character we don't even really know but she turned out to be strong enough to carry it and her struggle and ultimate success to get off the moon was satisfying and delightful. She provided a lot of heart to the show too as the way the kids, Scrooge, and Donald all react to her provided some nice "aww" moments throughout the episodes I've watched thus far. Its also nice to see that she really isn't a good mom yet. She's trying, but she's also still learning and the kids are learning how to have a mom, so all of that development is nice to see.
- And finally, their Christmas episode was pretty sweet. I wish they had actually used jiminy Cricket, Willie the Giant, and Pete for the Christmas ghosts (since they were clearly referencing the old Mickey's Christmas Carol) but there was a lot of charm and fun in this episode. Kid Donald...that is all.

So credit to Disney for fixing some of the issues with the show and delivering a stronger Season 2, at least so far. I'll know more when I watch the rest of the episodes, but so far, I'm digging it.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
I have finally started watching Season 2.

I'm a little over halfway, and overall, I am having way more fun with it than Season 1.

Season 1 was overall okay, but sadly fell short of my expectations. I had the following issues:

1) Not enough Scrooge/Donald-Way too much focus on the kids: Having read the original Carl Barks comics and watched the original show, my main reason for checking out any kind of return for Duck Tales was to see Scrooge McDuck back in action with Donald as a more regular presence this time around than in the original show. I felt like that was what was promised initially, but they really leaned into focusing the stories on Huey, Dewey, Louie, and especially Webby. I get that they wanted to improve Webby from the annoying "Aren't I pwecious?" character she was in the old show, but she wasn't really a major focus in the old show either, so fixing her and then making her the main focus was just making me go "Um, where's Donald?". And there were times where it felt like they were deliberately keeping Donald out of the action. When the focus was on Scrooge (like the episode with Glittering Goldie, my personal fav ep of Season 1), it was great, and on the rare occasion Donald got involved, it was also great. But I felt like I was waiting forever to see Scrooge and Donald and getting fed way too much of the kids and their antics.

I felt like telling the showrunners "Guys, I'm here for Scrooge, Donald, and to a lesser extent Launchpad (more on him later)....I'm not really here for the kids" and that was the case when I was a youngin' myself. Scrooge and Donald are two of my favorite cartoon characters of all time, so to see them return in any form is exciting to me, and I was disappointed that the focus wasn't on them.

2) Glomgold is a blithering idiot: Again, my feelings stem from the fact that I've read the old comics and watched the old show, but I don't know how they decided that Glomgold, Scrooge's greatest financial rival and his near equal, should be a loud mouthed ignoramus. He was always a devious schemer that would get over on Scrooge, and basically, when he was at his best, he was Scrooge without a heart, sort of like an image of what Scrooge could be if he didn't have his family to ground him. I'm not saying I need him to be a bloodthirsty monster. This is a kid's show, but alot of the humor from Scrooge and Glomgold's rivalry always came from how equally matched they were and how petty they would both get to try and one up the other. This version is just an obnoxious, boisterous, and spastic wacko that tries too hard to be funny, but fails miserably. He's too stupid to be a believable rival to Scrooge, and his not funny as a spaz, so his presence was generally more irritating than welcomed. Honestly, for a show as weird as this, the most unbelievable thing in it might be that Glomgold is the 2nd richest duck in the world because he is literally too dumb to be this successful.

3) Launchpad isn't quite right: Building off of what I said with Glomgold, I think they made Launchpad a little too stupid. I know he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer in the original show, but there was a kid like courageousness to him that made him lovable. I can't speak for all the other kids that watched back in the day, but I didn't love Launchpad because he was stupid. I loved him because he tried his very best and took pride in what he did, even when he failed (he took his crashes to be a badge of honor...how can you not love that?). But in the 2017 version, he is just a straight up moron, lacking the charm and most of the bravery of the original version of the character. There are some funny gags with him (such as him having these amazing underwater adventures with a love interest that happens all off screen) but generally, I feel like they missed the point on what made Launchpad so likable to begin with. To highlight what I mean: The old Launchpad is a Dudley Do-Right type of character, but this new version is something more akin to Stimpy or Patrick from Spongebob...just completely stupid. Actually, the character of Storkules (sp?) that has been featured a bit more in Season 2 is closer to what I would have liked Launchpad to be.

Now that's not to say the show's first season was bad. There was stuff I actually really liked, such as the visual style being modeled more after the comics, some neat callbacks, and fun execution of other characters such as Magica DeSpell and Doofus Drake (who I feel was greatly improved in this reboot). Given that I am a huge Scrooge fan, I am obviously going to be weary of any new voices taking over for Alan Young, but I think David Tennant has been great in the role thus far. There was plenty to like, but I also felt there was plenty of room for improvement too.

Now I am about halfway through Season 2, and I gotta say, it feels like they fixed most of my issues:

- Donald has played a much bigger role and it has been great. The Three Cabarellos reunion episode was fantastic, and he's been given alot more to do whether it be going on the adventures, hanging out with the kids, dealing with Storkules, or just trying to get away from all the crazy around him. Donald is great and he has gotten some time to shine this season and that made me happy.
- Scrooge is firmly the main focus of the show now, which it feels like it should have been that way all along. He's the focal point that brought all these characters together, so it makes sense to me that most of the episodes should be either centered on him or a result of him putting everything into motion. And because Donald and Scrooge have been given more of a spotlight, I actually find myself liking the kids a little bit more since I'm not wondering where the heck the adults are.
- Glomgold...is still a blithering idiot that annoys me most of the time he is on screen but at least they did a couple of things with him that were more substantial than what they did last season. They did an amnesia episode with him that was actually pretty good, and they also gave him an underling that at least keeps him in check. They couldn't completely overhaul and change the character because that would make no sense in keeping continuity with Season 1, but at least they found a few ways to make it work better than it had before.
- In the first half of Season 2, Launchpad is barely in it, so there hasn't really been much indication that they've fixed him. Actually, in addition to Storkules, Della Duck has come in and she's a bit of a crazed pilot too, so with the two of them around, I wonder if they even need Launchpad at all. I hear they did something with Darkwing Duck and Launchpad gets roped into that, but I'll comment on it when I get there.
- Speaking of Della Duck...she's great! Very likable, excitable, and being the sister of Donald Duck, she has some of his impatience and temper, and it is pretty funny whenever that part of her comes out. The whole episode centered around her trying to get off the moon was a risky one: They spent an entire episode on a character we don't even really know but she turned out to be strong enough to carry it and her struggle and ultimate success to get off the moon was satisfying and delightful. She provided a lot of heart to the show too as the way the kids, Scrooge, and Donald all react to her provided some nice "aww" moments throughout the episodes I've watched thus far. Its also nice to see that she really isn't a good mom yet. She's trying, but she's also still learning and the kids are learning how to have a mom, so all of that development is nice to see.
- And finally, their Christmas episode was pretty sweet. I wish they had actually used jiminy Cricket, Willie the Giant, and Pete for the Christmas ghosts (since they were clearly referencing the old Mickey's Christmas Carol) but there was a lot of charm and fun in this episode. Kid Donald...that is all.

So credit to Disney for fixing some of the issues with the show and delivering a stronger Season 2, at least so far. I'll know more when I watch the rest of the episodes, but so far, I'm digging it.
I was worried about how Della was going to fit into the series, but I'm glad they allowed her to make mistakes and have to work for things. I also give them credit for showing how her little mistake (that was due to her own lack of thinking ahead) that cost her 10 years with her kids wasn't easily forgotten by them.

Personally, I kind of like this version of Glomgold (thanks to Keith Fergurson's performance), but I can understand why some people don't. I'm looking forward to what they'll be doing with Rockerduck in future episodes.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
Nu Glomgold is just Lord Hater but with no Wander and Peepers. That said, he didn't come off as thaaaat unbelievable in the pilot seeing as how he actually got close to killing off Scrooge and Co., only losing from something he couldn't see coming.

Archeops

Whispering seeds of doubt into the ears of troons
kiwifarms.net
From what I've heard that's what they originally wanted to do with The Ghost of Christmas Past (I'm not 100% sure about the other two but I can see them leaving out Pete due to them referencing Goof Troop in previous episodes and Willie due to the character's size causing animation issues) in the episode but they couldn't due to Disney not giving them permission to.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
Apparently Angone confirmed Goof Troop Pete and his family are in the 17verse so at least that adresses his absence among the ghosts.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
They did more or less the best they could do to introduce Negaduck while still sticking with what past episodes established. That said, Tad Stones (the man behind Darkwing Duck) confirmed that if he was setting up DWD today he wouldn't put Negaduck in with the Fearsome Five since they didn't have enough chemistry. So we might not have Jim Starling join with a FF.

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
They did more or less the best they could do to introduce Negaduck while still sticking with what past episodes established. That said, Tad Stones (the man behind Darkwing Duck) confirmed that if he was setting up DWD today he wouldn't put Negaduck in with the Fearsome Five since they didn't have enough chemistry. So we might not have Jim Starling join with a FF.
Say, did you notice how Tad Stones even had a speaking role in that DWD episode?

• Informative
Reactions: Trilby