Dumb Shit on Wikipedia -

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here's a weird one that made me go "hahaha" and then "eww", from the "Shades of Red" article. It's a pretty normal article, and then we get to this:

Blood red wikipedia.PNG

"In China, according to The Language of Color in China,[14] dark blood red is sometimes referred to as 'period red'."
So that's pretty funny. But what about that picture? That blood splatter is... a real blood splatter. It's only used on one other article, a German Wikitionary one for "blutspur", and the blood is from a civet, an animal I've never heard of:

Civet.PNG

So that's just all-around weird.

As for another article I found that wasn't quite worth a post on its own, remember that Super Bowl where everyone saw Janet Jackson's nipple and the media went insane for like a month? It not only has an article, but an extremely long one at that:

Janetwordcount.PNG

It even cites 191 different sources.

грешный дурак

Sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill
kiwifarms.net
Here's a weird one that made me go "hahaha" and then "eww", from the "Shades of Red" article. It's a pretty normal article, and then we get to this:

View attachment 1124672

So that's pretty funny. But what about that picture? That blood splatter is... a real blood splatter. It's only used on one other article, a German Wikitionary one for "blutspur", and the blood is from a civet, an animal I've never heard of:

View attachment 1124683

So that's just all-around weird.

As for another article I found that wasn't quite worth a post on its own, remember that Super Bowl where everyone saw Janet Jackson's nipple and the media went insane for like a month? It not only has an article, but an extremely long one at that:

View attachment 1124697

Fun sidetrack: Read the “diet” section of that Civet page. Specifically, “coffee.” I accept my horrifying ratings in advance.

грешный дурак

Sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill
kiwifarms.net
Still better than panda dung tea.
Idk man. It says that the panda tea is merely fertilized with panda poop, and LOTS of fertilizer is made with animal shit. 🤷🏻‍♀️ You’ve definitely already eaten something that was fertilized with poop. Whereas the civet coffee beans have actually passed through the animals entire digestive system, marinating in all those enzymes and juices, and then get picked out of their shit. No thanks!

WarJams

kiwifarms.net
Fun sidetrack: Read the “diet” section of that Civet page. Specifically, “coffee.” I accept my horrifying ratings in advance.
Idk man. It says that the panda tea is merely fertilized with panda poop, and LOTS of fertilizer is made with animal shit. 🤷🏻‍♀️ You’ve definitely already eaten something that was fertilized with poop. Whereas the civet coffee beans have actually passed through the animals entire digestive system, marinating in all those enzymes and juices, and then get picked out of their shit. No thanks!
We also make cologne and other such products out of their anal secretions too, which is about the only reason I know about them.

It truly is a wondrous animal.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
you've made the news guys, I'm really proud of you all
View attachment 1130113
That's exactly what we need, a Wikipedia page on every dumb motherfucker on the planet, telling us about their nonexistent accomplishments. Notability? What's that?

Deletionists have lost and so has Wikipedia and so has humanity.

Doctor Placebo

Israeli Autism Awareness
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1124697

Wikipedia mods are thirteen year old boys who can't figure out how to turn off the safe search on their parents' computers, apparently.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
There's a post in the "Biggest bullshit in a video game" thread where this guy posts a screenshot and explains an entire puzzle in a game, without actually saying what game it is. So I searched "goat puzzle adventure game", and found out that puzzle has its own entire Wikipedia article titled "The Goat Puzzle".

Interesting trivia, but... really? That's worthy of an entire article? Not just a footnote on the game's own page?
Y'know I read that post and I had no idea what game that was even from. If nothing else this was helpful in finding out what game it was from.

That said, I agree this doesn't seem like it needs its own page. It's like if the Battletoads bike level got its own page or that mustache puzzle from Gabriel Knight.

Y'know I read that post and I had no idea what game that was even from. If nothing else this was helpful in finding out what game it was from.

That said, I agree this doesn't seem like it needs its own page. It's like if the Battletoads bike level got its own page or that mustache puzzle from Gabriel Knight.
On one hand, it is completely arbitrary and stupid that it has it's own page. However I do think shit like this probably should have some record of existence so that we don't lose it to time.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Clearly, it's important to note in the lead section article about the coronavirus pandemic that it has caused people to be racist against the Chinese and there's lots of "misinformation" like theories of it being a bioweapon, accidentally leaked, or it being worse than the Chinese government claims.

The outbreak has been declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) by the World Health Organization (WHO), based on the possible effects the virus could have if it spreads to countries with weaker healthcare systems. The declaration was the sixth time that the measure has been invoked since the H1N1 pandemic in 2009.[7][39][40][41] Xenophobia and racism against people of Chinese and East Asian descent has arisen as a result of the outbreak, with fear and hostility occurring in several countries.[42][43][44][45] Misinformation spread primarily online about the coronavirus has led the WHO to declare an "infodemic" on 2 February.[46]
Both of these have articles too with lots of reliable sources like the MSM who's getting their own sources from the Chinese government.

Muh misinformations
Muh racisms

Guess that's what passes for good Wikipedia articles now since Wikipedia has devoured both Rational Wiki and TV Tropes.

Captain Hastings Official

"Good Lord..."
kiwifarms.net
I was looking up medieval cuisine when I found this on the page about dandelion & burdock:

dandelion & burdock.png

Well, at least they admit it.

Edit:
It seems there's more, though. When I actually went and checked that citation no. 4, it links to a tweet from an unverified account who claims to be a lecturer at Oxford. Now, I'm sure she actually is who she claims to be. But a single tweet from a random source - and a tweet that itself implicitly calls into question the credibility of academics on the faculty of ancient British universities when they tell tales, i.e., people just like its author, doing just what the author is doing - is pretty weak evidence. And it should be noted that the journalistic articles cited in [2] and [3] do not themselves actually specifically cite Wikipedia.

What's the truth in all this, and which story is the urban legend? Fucked if I know. Someone could probably get to the bottom of this with a bit of scholarship, but that would be Original Research, which is not allowed on Wikipedia. So they have to compromise and just include both stories.

Last edited:

Shaka Brah

Hang ten, my dudes.
kiwifarms.net
I was looking up medieval cuisine when I found this on the page about dandelion & burdock:

View attachment 1143435

Well, at least they admit it.

Edit:
It seems there's more, though. When I actually went and checked that citation no. 4, it links to a tweet from an unverified account who claims to be a lecturer at Oxford. Now, I'm sure she actually is who she claims to be. But a single tweet from a random source - and a tweet that itself implicitly calls into question the credibility of academics on the faculty of ancient British universities when they tell tales, i.e., people just like its author, doing just what the author is doing - is pretty weak evidence. And it should be noted that the journalistic articles cited in [2] and [3] do not themselves actually specifically cite Wikipedia.

What's the truth in all this, and which story is the urban legend? Fucked if I know. Someone could probably get to the bottom of this with a bit of scholarship, but that would be Original Research, which is not allowed on Wikipedia. So they have to compromise and just include both stories.
This footnote itself might be a joke perpetrated by Cambridge students to troll Wikipedia.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
This footnote itself might be a joke perpetrated by Cambridge students to troll Wikipedia.
I know Snopes has dragged its name through the mud in recent years thanks to their blatant partisanship, but they had a section meant to trick people who didn't do their own research which featured them making up their own urban legends like the California flag, the Bear Flag, was originally the "Pear Flag" and only became the Bear Flag thanks to the fact people couldn't read well enough to understand the designers of the flag wanted a pear on it rather than a bear. The intent was to make people look stupid so they'd do their own research and presumably be less vulnerable to believing in urban legends. This looks similar to that, where "trusted sources" are fucking around with people.

Tags
wikipedia