Let's Sperg Dwarf Fortress Community Succession Fortress 2020 - Year 5 - Autism has still never been so much fun!

Embark type

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trigger Me Timbers

Reformed Kekistani
kiwifarms.net
Oh yer it's goin' down

!!IMPORTANT!!
We are still using version 44.12 (which as of January 28th is no longer the latest version)
Please make sure you get 44.12 from the Bay12 website or it comes packaged with your LazyNewbPack of choice.

☼The Game so far☼ (24-3-2020)

Our fort is "Ace Vermin the Crucifixion of Fools” located at the foot of an active volcano.

Year 1 - The Embark of AnOminous

Year 2 - The Folly of Some Manajerk
Year 3 - The Gentrification of Trigger Me Timbers
Year 4 - The Expansion of Book Thievery
Year 5 - The Mystery of Vecr
Year 6 - The Coleslaw Wars

PLAYER ROSTER:
This is only a preliminary roster, you are free to change when your turn its, right now it's organized by first come first serve (with AnOminous going first as requested)

1. AnOminous - Finished Year 1
  2. Some Manajerk - Finished Year 2
  3. Polyboros2 - DNF
  4. Urist Steelthrone - DNR
  5. Trigger Me Timbers - Finished Year 3
  6. Book Thievery - Finished Year 4
  7. Disc - DNF
  8. Vecr - Finished Year 5
  9. Coleslaw - Finished Year 6
  10. Sandwichu - DNR
  11. Mr. Pestilence - DNR
  12. Paranoid Bastard -
  13. Colloid
  14. Hat
  15. An Ghost
  16. reptile baht spaniard rid

On the Bench
ThePurpleProse
Borax Bozo

———OP———
Seasons greetings Kiwis, if you haven't guessed by the title I am kicking off the 2020 Dwarf Fortress succession fort!

To those unaware, the concept of a succession fort is simple. We each take a turn at the fortress, lasting exactly one year (with the exception of the first turn, which begins two weeks late). You can really do whatever you want with the fortress, with the exception of intentionally destroying it—keyword being "intentionally." After that, take the save file from the data folder, zip it, and post it to the Internet for the next person to use. This process will continue until the fortress is dead.
This can be considered the Pre-game prep so you all have time to re-download DF since you played it once, though it had potential but didn't stick with it because of your weak moral character. Well, this can be an excuse to get sucked in again!

In this thread we will decide the start date (IRL date), embark parameters and get a headcount for anyone who wants to play.

HOW DO I JOIN IN THIS FANTASTIC ADVENTURE?
Anyone who wants a turn, simply post saying that you do and you'll be added to the list. All turns will have a maximum play time of 2 weeks. Simply put the year must be started, ended and uploaded within those 2 weeks. Anyone who can't keep up to that time limit will be skipped over, regardless of how far in they are.
Finally, anyone who wants to play but is scared they'll fuck everything up, don't be, the games tagline is "Losing is fun" for a reason.

GET DWARF FORTRESS:
First, Get the game. The base game in all its ASCII glory can be found on the bay12 website: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ we will be using the latest 0.44.12 “stable” version

If your only ironically autistic then you can use the LazyNewbPack which has a lot of useful helpers and graphics packs
Windows LNP: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076
MacOS LNP: https://github.com/alexchandel/starter-pack/releases/tag/v0.44.12-r02-mac-beta
Linux LNP: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163211.0

WHEN DO WE PLAY?:
January but not sure when yet, feel free to post when is good for you, I am penciling in the 2nd week of Jan for now but that can change.

WHATS THE WORLD/EMBARK:
We will vote for the embark in the thread and the word will be generated according to the poll results.

GAME soft GUIDELINES:
Pretty lax formal rules, but here are some points I want to hit (these are my ideas but if you don't like them feel free to call me out);
  • DFhack is allowed but ask you only use it for performance tweaks and not to use Teleport, Start fire, Armoks Blessing etc...
  • Try to keep the main population center on a single level to make screen capping easier on all of us, obviously, you can use as many z-levels as you like.
  • Feel free to RP & Document, let's be honest, we all want to be the next Boatmurdered and a part of that forts success was the characters that came out of it.
  • Potato PC's & Noobs can go first, if you're a wagecuck who owns a potato then you may want to go first when the game is less CPU intensive, also newer players will normally do better in the early game.
  • Temperature is ON to ensure !!FUN!! (Unless enough potato PCs veto)
  • Name your Dwarf! - You can name an in-game dwarf with your user name so you can remain in the world, you can also name notible dwarfs but ask you don't name them all like there your Pokémon or some shit.
  • Share saves wherever you fancy as long as people can DL it without logging into a 3rd part website
Past Forts:

With that said..

Strike the Earth!

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
All I want is a volcano embark. This requires magma on the surface. It can be a mountain filled with it or an open caldera. It's a little tricky to get in an environment you like, but tweaking worldgen can do it. My general idea is magma on surface, lots of metals, lots of everything, and maybe to counter the OP-ness of all that, high savagery, but neutral alignment, so lots of megabeasts, but preferably no undead. Maybe no neighbors. Jurassic Fort.

Arctic Dwarves, you posted near christmas so we may as well get into the spirit of things.
This was my idea before the last thread died, too. I still have a worldgen for a volcano on a glacier but it's a past version.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
These usually go on months. And here, after a brief flurry of activity, they run out of players if the fort doesn't explode so eventually, anyone who wants can jump in.

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
I've heard of dwarf fortress before, but this (and the first page of the 2018 thread) is the most exposure I've actually ever gotten to it.

I am intrigued, what is the most accessible way of giving it a go?(the ASCII graphics have always been a deterrent, but Anominous's skin for it gave me some nostalgia feels for Castle of the Wind II)

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I have got it running again and created a couple worlds, and one with at least two general embark areas semi-fitting at least some of my ideas. The most promising is a volcanic, heavily wooded island with deep metals, a flux layer (you need this for steel), clay, deep soil, and only dwarves as neighbors (who needs anyone else). Not sure if caravans show up on an island but who needs them?

The other are a cluster of volcanoes in a glacier biome.

Here are the two candidates:

1576964772718.png1576964854860.png

The first is the island (extreme forested mountainous volcano with clay and flux and shallow and deep metals) and the second the glacier (there are two volcanoes here very close to each other in extreme glacial wild mountainous conditions with deep metals and flux layers). The second is likely to be a fairly tough embark despite rich resources. The first has even richer resources but is not as wild as I would like, even though I am thrilled with an island volcano.

I could keep trying. This is just my first semi-successful worldgen. It could probably be tweaked for even better results and am open to suggestions on any desirable conditions, although it can be difficult to get exactly what you want.

I am intrigued, what is the most accessible way of giving it a go?(the ASCII graphics have always been a deterrent, but Anominous's skin for it gave me some nostalgia feels for Castle of the Wind II)
The Lazy Newb Packs in the OP are a good start on all major systems (PC/Mac/Linux). Unless you're really, really into rolling your own startup, though, I have no problem being "Lazy" and not starting everything manually.

Previous succession fort threads.

Forever Sunrise

Avatar? I don't need no stinkin' avatar.
kiwifarms.net
Oh boy. I haven't gotten into the latest version since it changed how mood works and moods are still incredibly weird and buggy in a lot of ways. Get ready for dwarves turning into useless piles of angry flailing limbs because they saw one atom of a troglodyte's hairy asscrack three years ago and now they keep remembering it in their dreams until they go berserk!

Urist Steelthrone

Not a dwarf but close enough.
kiwifarms.net
Oh boy. I haven't gotten into the latest version since it changed how mood works and moods are still incredibly weird and buggy in a lot of ways. Get ready for dwarves turning into useless piles of angry flailing limbs because they saw one atom of a troglodyte's hairy asscrack three years ago and now they keep remembering it in their dreams until they go berserk!
That was 0.44.10

0.44.12 is really not that bad. As long as your give your dwarves breaks, get them into artsy professions (or mining) and engrave the walls, they will be fine.

It still needs improvement though.

• Agree
Reactions: Trigger Me Timbers

Elric of Melnibone

kiwifarms.net
I never could get a grasp on this game, it is daunting to look at let alone know what you are looking at. Dont know if I will participate, but will keep an eye on this thread and make some effort to figure out what the hell is going on. I downloaded the lazy noob pack a year or so ago and after an hour or so of reading wikis and google searching I finally decided I already had a full time job and diddnt want another one.

Edit: If possible as this adventure is documented here could someone kind of explain in layman terms whats going on. Not like a wiki post, but just a short synopsis of "we sent wiggy the sandy beige crack head to mine some crack rocks in the centaurian alpha shaft and after his 30 hour shift he got drunk and punched a goat. Tomorrow we will build a penis statue from left over cheese and old grog barrels before the daily head butt competition".

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I never could get a grasp on this game, it is daunting to look at let alone know what you are looking at. Dont know if I will participate, but will keep an eye on this thread and make some effort to figure out what the hell is going on. I downloaded the lazy noob pack a year or so ago and after an hour or so of reading wikis and google searching I finally decided I already had a full time job and diddnt want another one.

Edit: If possible as this adventure is documented here could someone kind of explain in layman terms whats going on. Not like a wiki post, but just a short synopsis of "we sent wiggy the sandy beige crack head to mine some crack rocks in the centaurian alpha shaft and after his 30 hour shift he got drunk and punched a goat. Tomorrow we will build a penis statue from left over cheese and old grog barrels before the daily head butt competition".
Every player writes a report. Also I linked to the previous forts we've had a few posts up.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Based on the top two vote getters I'm going to keep generating magma (and no aquifer since people want no aquifer even more than magma). I'm going to try to get a better glacier though. And then maybe we can have a vote on that.

Im game to join in, how autistic are we allowed to go with the fort? I have really bad tendencies to micromanage in DF to the extreme.
The more autistic the better but you only have a year so expect everything you cherish to be destroyed by your successor's madness and idiocy.

Tags
None