Let's Sperg Dwarf Fortress Community Succession Fortress 2020 - Year 5 - Autism has still never been so much fun!

Embark type

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trigger Me Timbers

Reformed Kekistani
kiwifarms.net
@Sandwichu your next, let us know if the kungflu has spared you.

Just a general FYI, everyone is welcome to join in, I know that some of you may be stuck indoors so its a good time to get into the game!

Even if this fort falls I will spin up a new one for the latest version since all the dumb bugs seemed to be ironed out and Bay12 are now working towards the steam release so we have about 6 years until the next version is ready.

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
I'll play when the Steam release fixes the graphics. My attempts to play have been a what the fuck am I looking at experience.
ASCII-based games usually come with an identification button that tells you what something is when you press it and move the cursor over it. In Dwarf Fortress, this button is 'k' in Fortress Mode and 'l' (lowercase L) in Adventure Mode. Pressing 'v' in Fortress Mode will also highlight units such as dwarves and monsters near the cursor.

• Informative
Reactions: Trigger Me Timbers

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
ASCII-based games usually come with an identification button that tells you what something is when you press it and move the cursor over it. In Dwarf Fortress, this button is 'k' in Fortress Mode and 'l' (lowercase L) in Adventure Mode. Pressing 'v' in Fortress Mode will also highlight units such as dwarves and monsters near the cursor.
Picking a reasonable tileset is also good. Meph is very nice and almost sprite-like, with objects usually looking like what they are and dwarves looking like their profession. It can be worth having some idea of the basics of the ASCII but you don't need to be autistic enough to remember every single thing and the stuff looks like line noise or perl code anyway.

Reactions: Book Thievery

Croco

Heh, heh...
kiwifarms.net
Yea man I freaking know that. I think the yellow (0) is a tree, but seeing an icon of a tree is obviously more intuitive. I tried the Meph tileset once but it screwed up the font. It's all very hacky and shitted up. Anyway, Steam release coming within the next year and it will be a real milestone.

• Feels
Reactions: Trigger Me Timbers

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
Yea man I freaking know that. I think the yellow (0) is a tree, but seeing an icon of a tree is obviously more intuitive. I tried the Meph tileset once but it screwed up the font. It's all very hacky and shitted up. Anyway, Steam release coming within the next year and it will be a real milestone.
In that case, the only thing I can say is that it's just a matter of getting used to it. ASCII games are like books in that they require a bit of mental input from the player to "see" their environment. It's somewhat understandable that new players in this day and age have difficulty "seeing" things in ASCII-based games, since game graphics have come a long way since the days when ASCII graphics were a necessity rather than an artistic choice. Players these days expect the designers to make something look like what it's supposed to be, rather than a cheap representation of an object that we're supposed to use our imaginations to interpret.

I might check out the Steam release's graphics when it comes out, but I definitely prefer to play the game in ASCII form, and it will likely stay that way.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Croco

Croco

Heh, heh...
kiwifarms.net
ASCII games are like books in that they require a bit of mental input from the player to "see" their environment.
Sounds super condescending man. I respect the game as a work of art and was hoping to borrow ideas from it to include in my own games. I don't see a reason to spend a lot of effort on someone else's shit when I could just make my own.
Anyway, I'll lurk now and see what comes of it.

• Feels
Reactions: Book Thievery

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
Sounds super condescending man. I respect the game as a work of art and was hoping to borrow ideas from it to include in my own games. I don't see a reason to spend a lot of effort on someone else's shit when I could just make my own.
Anyway, I'll lurk now and see what comes of it.
The analogy is also off. It'd be like reading a book in a language you don't know. So as you read each unknown word, you would then have to translate it, until you're familiar enough with the language to directly process it.

Until you spend enough time with the symbols, it's just another layer of abstraction.

Tags
None