Let's Sperg Dwarf Fortress Community Succession Fortress 2020 - Year 5 - Autism has still never been so much fun!

Embark type

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paranoid Bastard

kiwifarms.net
Alright, spent some time taking stock of the fort and planning for the future. There's have some stuff I have to do a bit later today, so I probably won't really get started until tonight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diary of Bookkeeper Overseer "Paranoid Bastard" Gatizmebzut
16th Felsite, 292

So the assigned overseer for this year hasn't been seen in a few weeks, and when that happens apparently the bookkeeper is the one who has to finish out his term. At least, that's what everyone else keeps telling me. I think they just don't want to be blamed for the next thing that goes horrifically wrong around here, but this fort doesn't exactly have a long history of disasters (excepting the wereape incidents) and hopefully things stay that way.

So, as my first act as overseer, I feel it prudent to ask what the fuck is going on with this fort.
Intro 1.PNG

Things seem to be going pretty good wait what

Why are nearly half of our adult dwarves idle?
Intro 2.PNG

Okay, so this is somewhat concerning. First of all, despite the well-known fact that this fortress has no fucking water, approximately 10% of our dwarves are fishery workers. Secondly, our food situation, while not dire, seems to mostly comprise of either slaughtered animals or gathered plants with the occasional fish I can only assume we buy off trade caravans. Our drink supply is more concerning, since as mentioned above we have no fucking water. Why our food and drink supplies are somewhat low when we have literally hundreds of seeds I have no idea. Finally, the lack of a strong military does not inspire confidence in our long-term survivability.
Intro 3 Mil 1.PNG
intro 3 Mil 4.PNG

For some reason, 2 of the squads on my books are completely empty. I have no idea if they all died and the previous overseers simply forgot to refit the squad or disband them, or if this is some elaborate laundering scheme.
Intro 3 Mil 2.PNG
intro 3 Mil 3 1.PNG

Our other two squads are both hammerdwarf squads. One contains the fortresses designated hammerer, I presume to keep him occupied and not bashing dwarf skulls in.
Intro 4.PNG

Considering his remarkable skill at arms, it may be for the best if he doesn't keep the hammerer position...

17th Felsite, 292

So I discovered why our supply of plants is so low
Intro 5.PNG

This is all of our farms.
We have 7 dedicated farmers and 600 seeds and this is all of our farms
Apparently, we also had farms in the caverns at some point, but I couldn't find any so I assume some previous overseer moved them up here, but that would must have been when we had only 10 or so dwarves as otherwise I cannot understand why they would make the plots so small in both number and size.

In other, slightly better news I have begun to reform our military. Taking stock of their equipment, I found that both squads are woefully unequipped,
Intro 6.PNG

This poor sap has been running around with a pair of gauntlets and a hammer, lacking even a shield to defend himself. Why did we settle near one of Armoks holy mountains if we aren't even going to forge the equipment our soldiers need to fight?
Intro 7.PNG

I have also begun plans to add an additional axedwarf squad to our military lineup, but equipping our existing squads takes priority.
I would also like for us to have some steel for axes before then, as it appears we have none and were producing none.

Lastly, I have begun drawing up plans to provide an extra layer of defense against any would-be attackers. As everyone in the fort knows, the Kiwi Cumblaster is about as impotent as the average elf, and only slightly more effective in a fight. To rectify this issue, I have begun drawing plans for a new construction project called Operation Fuckup that seeks to make it at least slightly more useful.

Therefore, I have constructed a list of priorities for my stay as overseer:
1. Reform the Militia
2. Fix the food situation
3. Discover either if there is an aquifier or if the scouts were fucking with us
4. Complete Operation Fuckup
5. Make everyone stop being so stupid/lazy

By the end of my term this fortress should, at the very least, be able to defend itself and not starve to death because a forgotten beast appeared in the caverns during a siege.

Attachments

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
In other, slightly better news I have begun to reform our military. Taking stock of their equipment, I found that both squads are woefully unequipped,
View attachment 1202713
This poor sap has been running around with a pair of gauntlets and a hammer, lacking even a shield to defend himself. Why did we settle near one of Armoks holy mountains if we aren't even going to forge the equipment our soldiers need to fight?
I believe that "gauntlet" being singular is actually significant and he is actually running around with just a single gauntlet like some kind of dwarven Michael Jackson.

How is there not steel? Surely the steel that was already in production with an automatic job manager task to keep it being produced still exists? If not, where did it go? What was it turned into? There must be steel somewhere unless someone just threw it into the magma.

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
Since some of the previous overseers have been rather... succinct... with their updates, I decided to check out the status of the fort as @Coleslaw had left it.

From what I can tell, there's been another wereape outbreak. At least, that's the only explanation I have, since there's now a corpse of a wereape child in the entryway to our fort.
wereape.png

We got invaded by some forgotten beast. Judging by its icon and the fact that it's covered in ichor, it's an insect. Its corpse now lays rotting near our dining hall.
fb2.png
fb1.png

The mausoleum that @Trigger Me Timbers had built has been appropriated by our supreme leader. All the statues have been changed to that of generic dwarves or bobcats.
null.png

WHY ARE THERE DEAD BODIES IN MY LIBRARY? WTF GUYS? PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO READ IN HERE!
library.png

@Trigger Me Timbers and @Some Manajerk are being held captive in Tinlake, along with several other dwarves.
tinlake.png

@AnOminous looks like there's a crap load of iron, but only two bars of pig iron. Apparently nobody has gotten around to making steel, as it's not even in the job manager's list, nor are there any bars of the stuff.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
@AnOminous looks like there's a crap load of iron, but only two bars of pig iron. Apparently nobody has gotten around to making steel, as it's not even in the job manager's list, nor are there any bars of the stuff.
I got around to it.

1585168371128.png

Surely that's at least around somewhere still. How does one just lose steel battle axes? Let me guess, someone sent dwarves with our best armor and weapons off on some doomed fool's errand. Bah.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Book Thievery

Paranoid Bastard

kiwifarms.net
How is there not steel? Surely the steel that was already in production with an automatic job manager task to keep it being produced still exists? If not, where did it go? What was it turned into? There must be steel somewhere unless someone just threw it into the magma.
Yeah, all magma smelters were smelting iron ores, no steel production. We didn't even have any in stock.

@Trigger Me Timbers and @Some Manajerk are being held captive in Tinlake, along with several other dwarves.
View attachment 1202804
Well, that explains why we had two empty militia squads and no gear. I though it was something like that, but I haven't ever played around with the expedition stuff so I didn't know where to look. Guess that's another thing to add to the list.

Paranoid Bastard

kiwifarms.net
Diary of Overseer "Paranoid Bastard" Gatizmebzut
18th Felsite, 292

Well, I found out where our military went.
2.PNG

Apparently, our previous overseer had sent off a raiding party to a nearby dwarven fortress, and when that expedition failed he sent another raiding party that also failed. The raiding party also just so happened to contain two previous overseers, leading me to believe these missions were meant to fail. This does lead me to believe that our previous overseer either left to continue his crusade personally, was kidnapped by goblins in the night as some form of revenge, or was an elf in a very convincing mask intentionally trying to weaken our forces.

In other news, I'm introducing mandatory face inspections starting today.

There have been some calls to rescue the imprisoned, but I'm not about to send off the few remaining slightly skilled warriors we have on a mission we've failed at twice already.

In other news, one of our (all too many) hunters gave birth today.
3.PNG

1.PNG

Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come.

23rd Felsite, 292

Oh no
4.PNG

First of all: I am honestly surprised that nobody told me this was happening.
Second, OH NO.

Now you may say this is my fault for not noticing sooner, but when everyone is complaining about the fact they can't reach a few items rather than the wereapes wandering throughout our corridors, you can't really blame me
5.PNG

So that's just great. Our entire military is gone, and we have more apes than ever. I hope somebody built a new hospital I can wall off.

Another thing I have discovered recently is the placement of our farms.
6.PNG

On top of the area where our farms used to be is our animal stockpile. A stockpile that includes ducks and rabbits.
Which were destroying all of the crops.

I have ordered a new area dug out below this stockpile to place some new farms. I don't even know who put those there, but they were probably an elf.

In light of recent events, I have reallocated my priorities:
1. Get a handle on the wereape situation
2. Reform the Militia
3. Fix the food situation
4. Discover either if there is an aquifier or if the scouts were fucking with us
5. Complete Operation Fuckup
6. Make everyone stop being so stupid/lazy

At least I know why nobody else wanted to be overseer now.

24th Felsite, 292

Good news: Only one person seems to have been infected during this chimpout
7.PNG

Bad news: it was the baron consort.
8.PNG

I really don't want to be the person to tell baroness Null that her husband is a horrible abomination.

On the bright side, it looks like our chief medical officer managed to retain enough of himself to just stay in his room
11.PNG

That does mean we still have three apes out of containment, but that's much more manageable than I thought it would be.

Scratch that, make that two apes.
10.PNG

9.PNG

Looks like before he turned back he picked a fight with one of our mighty dwarven blacksmiths, who then proceeded to strangle him to death after he turned back.
12.PNG

Three cheers for Erith Mengstigaz!
13.PNG

I will now begin the process of introducing the remaining apes outside of captivity into our enclosure

In other news, this shit happened
14.PNG

Apparently the former overseer went mad and killed a stonecrafter before a passing miner could put an end to his rampage.
It's a good thing I put an order in for more coffins, cause I get the feeling everything's about to go to shit.

1st Hematite, 292

Well, we made it to summer.
15.PNG

And it appears this curse even lasts after death.

I have managed to contain one ape, but another has escaped
16.PNG

It appears our friend treyvon had been struck with a fey mood and is ignoring the burrow I'm trying to shove him into
Just in case, I have stationed the nifty niggas next to him in the event he does not return before he goes apeshit. We have approximately 18 days before the full moon, so hopefully he finishes quickly.

Our chief medical officer has refused to leave his room, leading me to believe there was a different reason for his self-quarantine during the last chimpout than concern for our wellbeing.

Last edited:

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
Not to mention a mission that would be treason.
Couldn't someone send a rescue party just by using the "People" tab to rescue the captured dwarves, without needing to raze the fort? Or would that still be considered an act of violence?

Also, I think the reason you're getting so much cancellation spam is because the previous overseer left the fortress on high alert. Dwarves are trying to path to objects they can't reach, and are complaining about it. No doubt another attempt at sabotage by the traitorous @Coleslaw

Tags
None