Let's Sperg Dwarf Fortress Community Succession Fortress 2020 - Year 5 - Autism has still never been so much fun!

Embark type

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paranoid Bastard

kiwifarms.net
Couldn't someone send a rescue party just by using the "People" tab to rescue the captured dwarves, without needing to raze the fort? Or would that still be considered an act of violence?

Also, I think the reason you're getting so much cancellation spam is because the previous overseer left the fortress on high alert. Dwarves are trying to path to objects they can't reach, and are complaining about it. No doubt another attempt at sabotage by the traitorous @Coleslaw
Couldn't someone send a rescue party just by using the "People" tab to rescue the captured dwarves, without needing to raze the fort? Or would that still be considered an act of violence?

Also, I think the reason you're getting so much cancellation spam is because the previous overseer left the fortress on high alert. Dwarves are trying to path to objects they can't reach, and are complaining about it. No doubt another attempt at sabotage by the traitorous @Coleslaw
Well, I just turned that alert off
1585187712044.png

Goddamn elves

Some Manajerk

kiwifarms.net
I mean, we only had one wearape safely sealed away from the rest of the fort. Only elfy treason could have broken them out. enact CHARNELHOUSE protocol and repeat the feat.

Reactions: Book Thievery

Paranoid Bastard

kiwifarms.net
Diary of Overseer "Paranoid Bastard" Gatizmebzut
11th Hematite, 292

Dear god things have not gone well.
1.PNG

So before the full moon even hit, a fishery worker attacked ourlocal house ape while he was out of commission and when he fought back, the militia I stationed nearby instantly murdered him.

On the bright side, I managed to contain the last two monkeys...
WHY.PNG

...Along with 4 children. Yes, I regret this. No, I'm not going to do anything about it. I've already fucked up the monkey situation enough over the past month, I'm not going to trade 4 children's lives for the possibility of another breakout.

ESPECIALLY NOT WHEN I HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS SHIT
2 hammer time.PNG

I KNEW WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT HAMMER AWAY FROM HIM
So apparently the hammerer got fed up with people being sad about the constant death and decided to take matters into his own hands.
3 oh no.PNG

I don't know who game him the silver warhammer, but I'm just as responsible for not taking it away.
Wait, what's that soun-
There I go.PNG

Journal of Overseer Atis Rigòthabod
17th Hematite, 292

Well apparently I'm overseer now after the last one got his head split open in the main hallway.
Corpse.PNG

(The blue corpse is Bastard, the white one is AnOmnibus)
And my first order of business was to STOP THE HAMMERING
Now where are we.PNG

Since we just have to have one, I gave the position to our former chief medical dwarf who is now safely trapped in the zoo.
Now hopefully, if we're lucky, people will stop killing each other and we can get back to the business of operating this fort.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only got through like a month but this is the most eventful any fort I've ever run has been.
HAHAHAHA.PNG

We're down to 142 dwarves (technically 138 since I'm not risking saving those children). I probably could have avoided half those deaths if I followed my gut and changed the hammerer, or at least gave him a wooden hammer. Seriously, who gave him a silver warhammer? That's the most lethal weapon in the game against dwarves.

Does anyone know where the bookkeeper's office is so I don't have to look for it?

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
Great, so Trigger Me Timbers and Manajerk are captives, and AnOnimus and Bastard are dead. I think that makes Vecr and me the only surviving overseers of this fort, since Coleslaw didn't dorf himself. At least you got the ape situation under control.

BTW, the bookkeeper's office is right here. It's one floor below the fort entrance. Found it by pressing R and looking for an office in your name (though you probably can't do that since you're dead now).
bookkeeper.png

Paranoid Bastard

kiwifarms.net
Journal of Overseer Atis Rigòthabod
18th Hematite, 292
Okay, despite her obvious flaws Paranoid Bastard did have the right idea about some things. Our drink supply is dwindling, we have no water, and our military is in shambles (though bolstered by the recent addition of Llr, the former hammerer). After looking at her plans for "Operation: Fuckup" I have decided that, if completed, it could at least let us defend ourselves from attacks from the surface. I have stopped all her other stupid policies though, as I doubt elves have "realistic dwarf-masks" that they use to "infiltrate dwarvish societies and either destroy them or turn them into tee-loving hippies".

19th Hematite, 292

So it begins
1 BiBi and Harambe.PNG

...Or not?
2 Well ok.PNG

Thy're just sorta... standing there?

20th Hematite, 292

I'm surprised it took that long
3.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG

I thought you were different, harambe.
(I swear to god I named him that before I trapped him in the zoo with several childen)

23rd Hematite, 292
Things are progressing smoothly on operation fuckup.
5.PNG

In other news, the ghosty wereapes are still here.
6.PNG

I would try and get a handle on that, but we're still constructing the crypt and there are a lot of bodies.

26th Hematite, 292
The traders showed up, I traded some crafts for cheese.

27th Hematite, 292
We had our first case of stress-induced insanity. Fortunately, this was one of the catatonic ones, not one
of the violent ones.
7.PNG

Almost everyone is in emotional distress at this point, driving numerous dwarves into depression. God, I need a drink.

2nd Malachite, 292
A proper farm has been constructed and planting has begun. Hopefully it will supply the entire fort with food and drinks in time.
8.PNG

One of the children trapped in the zoo has fallen into a state of depression.
9.PNG

10.PNG

On one hand I feel bad for the two children who are still alive in there. On the other, we cannot let those apes escape. Sorry, Urvad.

13th Malachite, 292
well
11.PNG

did... everyone already know about this?
12.PNG

It's trapped in the second cavern layer which we have sealed off, but it's probably important to note if any future overseer wants to do something in those caves.

We also had our first tantrum today.
13.PNG

And there's still no water.

3rd Galena, 292
14.PNG

I WONDER WHY

5th Galena, 292
15.PNG

I genuinely have no idea how he died. He wasn't fighting anyone, and we just sorta... found him.

7th Galena, 292
Depression has overtaken the fort
16.PNG

Honestly, I'd probably be depressed too if I didn't have to listen about how sad everyone is all the time. Look, guys, I know everything sucks and there are corpses all over the place, but come on.

19th Galena, 292
I personally feel like we have sunk to a new level.
17.PNG

Everyone's depressed, and shitty little birds are stealing a bunch of miscellaneous crafts. If we weren't busy with other things, I would send the military out to hunt this fucker.

1st Limestone, 292
Well, we have a teensy little problem...
19.PNG

Well, looks like Paranoid Bastard called it. Our alcohol and plant reserves are dropping rapidly. The food problem has been solved largely by animals dying of dehydration and being butchered, causing our meat reserves to skyrocket. However, because our farms aren't fully operational yet and we only have one still, our drink supply has become dangerously low. I have begun construction of two more stills and ordered the collection of every plant in sight.

13th Limestone, 292
We have lost a valuable member of the fort today
21.PNG

Rest in peach Harambe, you will be missed.
Seriously, what the fuck happened.
22.PNG

Huh. I didn't know werecreatures would kill each other. We're down to one wereape now, the baron consort BiBi. I don't even remember why we were containing one specimin in the zoo, but I guess a future overseer can do something with him. That is, when baroness Null stops asking for us to free him.

18th Limestone, 292
24.PNG

The crypt initially ordered by paranoid bastard has been constructed.
25.PNG

God rest her soul.
Wait...
Hold on..
26.PNG

THIS COFFIN'S EMPTY!

17th Limestone, 292
So as it turns out, the overseer before last, Coleslaw, was an elf. It appears that, when he vanished, he engraved a coffin with his details and released the apes to cover his escape and fake his death. I know all of this because he ENGRAVED IT UNDERNEATH THE LID OF HIS COFFIN! SERIOUSLY, HOW DID NOBODY NOTICE THIS THING WAS EMPTY WHEN WE INSTALLED IT? WHAT KIND OF LEMMINGS AM I WORKING WITH?

He even left a fucking dwarf mask inside the coffin.

I can't believe Paranoid Bastard was right about something. Maybe we should reinstate mandatory face inspections...

11th Sandstone, 292
Well fuck
27.PNG

28.PNG

That's in the first cavern layer. CLOSE THE GATES!
Aaaand it just flew over the walls.
29.PNG

Whoever built this outpost forgot to seal off the top. Even if we managed to close the bridges in time, it still would have gotten in.
30.PNG

Now why didn't we close the gates?
BECAUSE NOTHING AROUND HERE IS LABLED!
31.PNG

This is an andestite and diorite lever. The bridges in the caverns are andestite and diorite. (the center lever is obsidian, and does control the front gate).
SO WHY DO THESE CONTROL THE CUMLAUNCHER?
33.PNG

This just goes to show that linking levers to things based on their base construction material is no basis for a system of organization!

While I was ranting about that, the militia appear to have killed the beast.
32.PNG

That was anticlimactic. I don't think anyone even died.

22nd Sandstone, 292
We had a farmer go berserk today.
34.PNG

35.PNG

He was instantly torn apart by the nearby dwarves. I still think we're doing pretty good, considering this is the only dwarf so far this year to go berserk.

We also found the magma sea, effectively confirming there is no water here. Fuck.

24th Sandstone, 292
36.PNG

I think we officially have a depression issue. Normally I just tell everyone to stop being so fucking sad and mopey, but that just causes more people to become depressed.

4th Timber, 292
It's almost complete....
37.PNG

21st Timber, 292
38.PNG

Congratulations, glorious leader!

27th Timber, 292
39.PNG

We appear to have the drink situation under control. It's still low, but we have enough plants to brew drinks now.
(Addendum: The drink situation is not under control. Send help.)

18th Moonstone
Seeing as how we have almost finished construction on Operation: Fuckup, I feel it best to explain the purpose of the structure to future overseers.
41.PNG

42.PNG

43.PNG

There are two core ideas behind Operation: Fuckup, as explained by Paranoid Bastard in the original design:
"An old dwarvish saying is that if you can't bring the lava to yourself, bring yourself to the lava. Seeing as how the Kiwi Cumlauncher cannot shoot more than a few meters without running for an entire season, I decided that if we cannot bring the lave to our enemies we should bring them to the lava. By stationing our militia squads within the new "gatehouse", we can lure enemies inside and close both the inner and outer gate ensuring the safety of the fort if the militia falls. This is where Operation: Fuckup gets its name, as it is designed to purge our enemies in holy fire when our militia squad fucks up and dies.

Of course, this strategy works just as well when one of those useless fisherdwarves are used as bait....."

Now you may be asking me why I'm comfortable burning a bunch of injured military dwarves after they put their lives on the line to defend our fortress.
40.PNG

Well,
1. We have no fucking water, so everyone who ends up in the infirmary is doomed to a slow, painful death.
2. Our only skilled medical dwarf turned into a monkey and got his arms ripped off by another monkey.
So I think a quick death being consumed by Armok's blood is suitable when compared to this.

I have decided to name this technique "The Bastard Maneuver" after the original mastermind behind the construction.

20th Moonstone, 292
44.PNG

Well, I guess it is a nice table. Don't think I recognise the bone he used.
45.PNG

21st Moonstone, 292
Construction has finished!
46.PNG

We shall begin the first test immediately! CLOSE THE GATES!
47.PNG
48.PNG
RELEASE THE MAGMA!
49.PNG

50.PNG

It's a bit slower than I would like, but it will serve its purpose.
I'm stopping the test a bit early as it will take forever for the lava to harden if we let the "gatehoue" fill up completely.

1st Granite, 292
Well, my term as overseer is at an end and everything is slightly better than when I started.
53.PNG

Remember the drink situation? Yeah, that's not going well.
54.PNG

I've set up the farms and stills, but we're still fluctuating between 30-90 units. I sincerely recommend the next overseer resolve this before it gets out of hand.
Anyway, it's time for me to wash my hands of this job and go back to associating myself with the average dwarf. It's strange, lately it seems like everyone's looking at me differently. I wonder if it's something I said...
52.PNG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the disaster that was the first month, my turn was relatively smooth and boring aside from having to constantly collect plants to brew drinks. I'm serious about that by the way, if you don't keep gathering plants we will run out of alcohol in a month. Otherwise, the fort's not in the best shape and people are very sad. We're not close to a collapse (unless you assign another hammerdwarf, he'll probably kill the entire fort) but whoever's next has their work cut out for them.

Good luck, @Colloid. I've attached the save.

Attachments

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
did... everyone already know about this?
12.PNG

It's trapped in the second cavern layer which we have sealed off, but it's probably important to note if any future overseer wants to do something in those caves.
So you're seeing visions of it too? I KNEW I WASN'T CRAZY! EVERYONE SAID I WAS CRAZY!

Now why didn't we close the gates?
BECAUSE NOTHING AROUND HERE IS LABLED!
31.PNG
I beg to differ. If you'll double check your 'N'otes, you'll find that I've labelled them quite concisely:
notes.png

The levers to control the lower bridges are down here. Not that it probably would've helped in your situation. In hindsight, maybe it would've been a better idea to place them in a more traffic-heavy area.
levers.png

(That being said, I'm glad to be somewhat responsible for our fortress' first lava accident. Your reaction when lava started flooding the place was priceless.)

Paranoid Bastard

kiwifarms.net
I beg to differ. If you'll double check your 'N'otes, you'll find that I've labelled them quite concisely:
View attachment 1209235

The levers to control the lower bridges are down here. Not that it probably would've helped in your situation. In hindsight, maybe it would've been a better idea to place them in a more traffic-heavy area.
View attachment 1209238

(That being said, I'm glad to be somewhat responsible for our fortress' first lava accident. Your reaction when lava started flooding the place was priceless.)
Yeah, my bad. Doesn't change the fact that the wall doesn't cover the top layer so flying beasts can just go over it or that those levers are so far away from normal foot traffic beasts are almost guaranteed to get in before the bridges are shut.

I probably should have done something about that.

Edit: Forgot about the second bridge at the tunnel so we can prevent anything from getting in, just move the lever to a better place and there shouldn't be any problems

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Trigger Me Timbers

Trigger Me Timbers

Reformed Kekistani
kiwifarms.net
“To any gentile servs whom may gaze upon this letter then I ask;

IM A CELEBRITY GET ME OUT OF HERE

My name is Trigger me Timbers, former supreme leader of Acevemin, the crucifixion of fools. I have been locked in Tinlake for many a moon, I bribed a porter to take this letter and send it to Acevermin.

We were sent to our deaths by the power mad Colesaw, a dwarf who was hell bent on starting a war, and I fear he may of succeeded.

I miss my golden throne room and masterwork bed, no one in tinlake has ever heard of me and they only serve one type of plump helmet wine.
For the love of Armok please send the biggest army you can find.

Signed, the former grand supreme leader,
Trigger me Timbers.

P.S there are some other dwarfs with me and they would like to come back too.”

Tags
None