Let's Sperg Dwarf Fortress Community Succession Fortress 2020 - Year 5 - Autism has still never been so much fun!

Embark type

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
So for no reason at all, I decided to load up the save and test out the Kiwi Cumblaster.

The results? Frankly, I'm quite disappointed. Here are the results after about 4 months of open flow. (Please ignore all the dead immigrants laying around outside)

As you can see, it's hardly a Project Fuck The World-esque flooding. I thought that maybe it was because of the diagonal cut in the volanco's rim, but even after digging a channel into the rock blocking the way, it was still painfully slow. Perhaps the next guy building a wall directing the flow into our fort's courtyard could help?
Maybe a screw pump powered by a windmill? Magma generally isn't pressurized unless it's forced, even if the flow isn't diagonal, and the location makes it one where the lifespan of a pump operator would be pretty brief.

Some Manajerk

kiwifarms.net
So for no reason at all, I decided to load up the save and test out the Kiwi Cumblaster.

The results? Frankly, I'm quite disappointed. Here are the results after about 4 months of open flow. (Please ignore all the dead immigrants laying around outside)

As you can see, it's hardly a Project Fuck The World-esque flooding. I thought that maybe it was because of the diagonal cut in the volanco's rim, but even after digging a channel into the rock blocking the way, it was still painfully slow. Perhaps the next guy building a wall directing the flow into our fort's courtyard could help?
another problem in the narrow delivery shaft. only one tile wide really limits how much magma can flow out at once.

Trigger Me Timbers

Reformed Kekistani
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I intended to refresh myself on the mechanics but I never got around to it. So I'll have to pass for now. Put me at the end of the list.
No problem fam, @Vecr The proverbial puck has been passed to you, will you except the offer?

Oh yeah and since I suggested throwing me back on the list when it comes around, at least give the people who put it off another callout before starting the list at the beginning.
yes I’m working on updating the OP to have a rotating list and I’ll rank according to who passed, who’s already played etc. etc.

also if/when acevermin falls we can spin up another fort and continue the list!

Vecr

"nanoposts with 90° spatial rotational symmetries"
kiwifarms.net
No problem fam, @Vecr The proverbial puck has been passed to you, will you except the offer?

yes I’m working on updating the OP to have a rotating list and I’ll rank according to who passed, who’s already played etc. etc.

also if/when acevermin falls we can spin up another fort and continue the list!
I'm not all that experienced with combat, if someone could deal with that forgotten beast first, that would be great.

I think the most I ever did in that aspect was create a mostly dysfunctional copper-armored squad that did not help much.

Though, I'll go if no one else thinks they can do better.

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
I'm not all that experienced with combat, if someone could deal with that forgotten beast first, that would be great.

I think the most I ever did in that aspect was create a mostly dysfunctional copper-armored squad that did not help much.

The forgotten beast isn't anywhere in the fort. It's sealed off in the second cavern layer. You should be fine if you don't crack it open.

Trigger Me Timbers

Reformed Kekistani
kiwifarms.net
A new version of Dwarf Fortress just got released.View attachment 1123195
Oh heck yer!

unfortunately even though this release has been a long time coming it’s a little bit rushed, Tarn said that he needed to get it out quickly because he has to start on the art upgrades for the steam release. I have a suspicion this will be full of lovely bugs. On my way a few hot patches first.

Also, do you want me to add you to the roster @Hat ?

If it’s not you I was gonna pass it over to the new guy who has less experience then you. As book said, the forgotten beast is locked away and you don’t have to deal with it unless you want to.

Vecr

kiwifarms.net
Right, so now that I have gotten set up and (hopefully) reacquainted with the game, what's my highest priority?

I know we desperately need water and a hospital would be nice, but I wonder if soap production is blocked at this time.

If not, I'll try to set that up.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Right, so now that I have gotten set up and (hopefully) reacquainted with the game, what's my highest priority?

I know we desperately need water and a hospital would be nice, but I wonder if soap production is blocked at this time.

If not, I'll try to set that up.
You can make soap without water, but it isn't any use without water.

Also so far as I can tell the embark screen outright LIED about there being an aquifer. Good luck finding it, I don't think it's actually there. I am pretty sure my worldgen parameters guaranteed at least one cavern would have water so that would have to be the third layer.

Last edited:

Vecr

kiwifarms.net
... I know this sounds slightly mad, but would there be any way to make a water catchment? IE an empty bowl on the roof that fills when it rains?
Yeah, I got a message talking about a dwarf not being able to give water in the first in-game day of play.

I'm going to be setting up temples to hopefully reduce depression in the fort, but I can't do much more without water.

Edit:

Third of Granite: Dishmab Nishzokun has given birth to a boy, and construction of better temples is underway.

Fifth of Granite: a ghost has risen, I'm going to try to deal with it.

Last edited:
Tags
None