E-beggars and economic crisis - Or why their income is fine, while other people struggle

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
You know, I've always thought, that in the times of great distress all these e-beggars, "internet critics", "YT stars", "influecers" and other unemployable trash will be the first to go down in flames, but it seems, that I was wrong. Yes, I've seen articles about some Instagram and Onlyfans whores losing their income, but just from the top of my head:

• DSP had a vest streak (he puts on a vest, when his piggies donate $100 on stream) through the entirety of COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Wings of Redemption claims that he paid off his trailer house.
  • Alex "Yanderedev" Mahan had his income on Patreon steadily going down, but recently got a new sponsor ($300/month)
Am I missing something and the situation of these people is far worse than I think it is or was I wrong from the start with my assumption?

Last edited:

Lemmingwise

Judging you internally
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes, you're missing the fact that the majority of people have no foresight and will waste money even at inopportune times. You also forget that people locked up at home is generally good for anything internet businessy, and bad for the rest.

Amazon is probably kicking themselves that they didn't engineer a virus like this themselves. Think of all the lost quarterly gains.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
Yes, you're missing the fact that the majority of people have no foresight and will waste money even at inopportune times.
US alone now has a million of new applies for unemployment benefits every week. I'm not saying that all the paypigs lost their jobs, but damn, it seems that e-beggars with threads that I follow weren't affected at all. Also, if I was forced to watch them every day on lockdown, I would've canceled my payment regardless of my financial situation.

Reactions: Lone MacReady

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
Majority of income ecelebs get is from whales who donate either big numbers all at once or make lots of small donations for favors/streetcred.
They are basically losers with high income jobs who have nothing to spend all that money on (no family, loan, business) so instead they use it to fuel their parasocial relationships with people they like online.

Boris Blank's glass eye

Ring the bell, Roll down the street
kiwifarms.net
The top 0.1% of e-beggars might be making money, but the rest sure as shit ain't.
Take a peek at any of the #<whatever>CrowdFund regulars on twatter, and you're going to find out they're all broke and no one's donating.

SSF2T Old User

https://www.fightcade.com/id/KF-SSF2TOldUser
kiwifarms.net
"There's a sucker born every minute" - P. T. Barnum

Also e-begging doesn't really look good on a resume. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anything "YouTube/Streaming" related should ONLY be a hobby.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know about Wings, but DSP's fanbase is largely composed of for-real mentally handicapped people who are on government assistance, and YandereDev's is children. These aren't people directly linked to the state of the world economy.

• Informative
Reactions: Positron

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
and YandereDev's is children
Not exactly. Children are majorly the ones, who watch his videos and streams, but his patrons are mostly not low tier, meaning they are not children who just donate their lunch money. Also, friend of my friend has a friend, who is 20+ years old, but he is as naive about Alex, as his underage fans. So I think that most of his patrons are edgy weebs, tumblr perverts and just stupid people, who believe they will be partially responsible for the release of that shit. Also, even if they were children, yes, they aren't "directly linked to the state of the world economy", but their parents are. Even I remember, that when I was a kid and my family had tough times there were no sweets and presents and even back then I understood why. I can't imagine asking my parents for cash to give to some manchild on the internet during something like this.

Also e-begging doesn't really look good on a resume
You know, I've always thought that by age of 40 they all will have to look for a job only to get fucked. Now I'm not so sure.

Bass

kiwifarms.net
I think it has more to do with the size of the net they can cast vs the size of net an average person can cast. A normal person makes money doing a specific job for a specific person, or a company. An e beggar does whatever they do but it's broadcast out. There are always whales out there floating around on the internet with more free money than sense, so the e beggar just has to put themselves out there since their "net" is potentially everyone on the internet. They don't have to catch all the whales, just enough.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: JuanButNotForgotten

Jar-Jar Fanboy

kiwifarms.net
At least with services like Patreon, you're actually funding a product you enjoy, in most cases. The worst e-beggers I see are the ones on twitter, who get a mildly viral tweet, and immediately link their PayPal underneath, telling everyone to give them money because they're black/gay/trans/disabled/all-of-the-above/etc. They're the internet equivalent of bums on the street corner, and you get absolutely nothing in return, except for their twitter hot takes, by giving them money. At least Patreon creators have various perks and shit like that

• Optimistic
Reactions: Positron
Tags
None