EA Hack Leads To Over 700GB Of Data Stolen, Including FIFA 21 Source Code - Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

Vyse Inglebard

Aika, this "ghost" must be something scary indeed.
kiwifarms.net
Publisher EA has been breached by a crew of hackers who stole 780GB of game data, according to a Motherboard report. The stolen data reportedly includes FIFA 21 source code and tools from the Frostbite engine, although EA says no player data was taken.

According to the report, the hackers have access to not just FIFA 21's source code but also the code for its matchmaking servers. And in addition to Frostbite engine tools, the hackers claim to have stolen proprietary EA frameworks and software development kits that streamline game making.

A source with access to the forums where the hackers posted the stolen data showed Motherboard screenshots of massages written by the culprits, with one that read you have "full capability of exploiting on all EA services." It seems the hackers are trying to sell the data on underground networks.

When reached for comment about the incident, an EA spokesperson said the company is aware of the breach and what information was stolen. The spokesperson also said no player data was accessed and EA has "already made security improvements" to prevent this in the future.

"We are investigating a recent incident of intrusion into our network where a limited amount of game source code and related tools were stolen," the spokesperson said. "No player data was accessed, and we have no reason to believe there is any risk to player privacy. Following the incident, we've already made security improvements and do not expect an impact on our games or our business. We are actively working with law enforcement officials and other experts as part of this ongoing criminal investigation."

EA isn't the only company to have its source code stolen by hackers. In another high-profile hack, Cyberpunk 2077 developer CD Projekt Red was hacked earlier this year by an "unidentified actor" who put the game's source code up for auction. And late last year, Capcom suffered a massive breach that exposed not just corporate secrets but also employee information.

https://archive.md/dz5ZC

Let's hope Activision-Blizzard's next.....

Miller

kiwifarms.net
It's a good thing if the Frostbite engine got leaked. DICE always said that they would never release the mod tools because the engine was too complex for the modders. We'll see if it's true.

not just FIFA 21's source code but also the code for its matchmaking servers
It looks like one game is going to get the Red Dead Redemption online and Titanfall 1 & 2 treatment...

Blamo

inactive
kiwifarms.net
Imagine if you just didn't connect the computers that work on sensitive tools to the internet. What a novel concept.
Of course because corporations are not so smart they would most likely have wifi routers anyway, so parking a car in the front of the building still could do the trick if they don't maintain those properly.

Good luck getting in and out of a system that only runs on cables. You would need to insert a USB drive or something to get the leak and then copy it to something that can be used to transfer it.

You can have a local area network on it's own, you know, so your horny interns or more likely boomer (genX) bosses won't be able to click on phishing emails and other things.

Can't corporations afford IT guys nowadays? Geez.

break these cuffs

just an Island Boy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't like this "everything has to be connected" mentality of Current Year.

It shouldn't be a surprise if even one country has a nuclear arsenal that's connected to the internet.
I started buying used appliances and some electronics years ago to avoid buying "smart" anything. My toaster oven does not need wifi.

Lone MacReady

Alive in Outpost 31
kiwifarms.net
I don't like this "everything has to be connected" mentality of Current Year.

It shouldn't be a surprise if even one country has a nuclear arsenal that's connected to the internet.
And there's the whole, government spying on you through your fridge thing. With every faggot owning a doorbell camera nowadays, just walking around the world now has you recorded by a hundred different cameras. An EMP will be a blessing when this is all over. Big Brother's spying apparatus is already in place, has been for a while, busy-bodies, rats, and squealers - all with phones, all willing to do Big Brother's work for them.

Blamo

inactive
kiwifarms.net
I started buying used appliances and some electronics years ago to avoid buying "smart" anything. My toaster oven does not need wifi.
It is just a lovely idea to think that somebody could just access it (perhaps no need for a hack, because it could be badly protected by default like those over-the-internet baby listening devices.) and just set it on fire by making it too hot. The end user already can't handle security with his online services and few computers he own, let alone a complex grid of IOT devices. Heck for a so called technologically savvy civilization the normal folk thinks electricity is magic which is really just some dumb circuitry.

A big red flag is that smart TVs became the norm. Can you even buy a non-smart TV?

This also plays into the more disposable/you will rent everything economy. With software updates you can just trick things being less effective and less being able be repaired.
You won't even be access the software running because it's proprietary.

Imagine if our current engineering was done to make products that last, not products that you will need to throw away. And they will somehow say that buying a toaster every second software update is somehow good for the planet.

I bet one day someone will say: "But if it doesn't have bluetooth or Wifi then how will you know that the toast is ready?"
After the smart lightbulb, it's not outlandish. Gotta have an app on my surveillance device to turn on the lights.
Can't wait to having to throw away the "smart" house tech in the house every X years because the new phone OS is not compatible with the apps controlling said devices etc.

cjöcker

Despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Imagine if you just didn't connect the computers that work on sensitive tools to the internet. What a novel concept.
Of course because corporations are not so smart they would most likely have wifi routers anyway, so parking a car in the front of the building still could do the trick if they don't maintain those properly.

Good luck getting in and out of a system that only runs on cables. You would need to insert a USB drive or something to get the leak and then copy it to something that can be used to transfer it.

You can have a local area network on it's own, you know, so your horny interns or more likely boomer (genX) bosses won't be able to click on phishing emails and other things.

Can't corporations afford IT guys nowadays? Geez.
You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Hot Cup of Joe

kiwifarms.net
This happened at a company i worked for 10 years ago. Some chinks parked a van just outside the factory, hacked in to the 'guest' wifi that the workers used on break. The guest wifi and the secure wifi were on the same network, which was dumb. Anyway, the chinks copied all of the information on the HDD's over a few days and only got caught when people were constantly complaining of slow internet speed.

They disappeared before the coppers could get any info on them.

Fast forward 12 months and they displayed the exact same product that we made, at an international expo. The company were kicked out and fined, though they disappeared back to China to continue to make the copy. While they weren't allowed to sell outside of China, the product was world-class, so China just made their own.