Earlier versions of films you're glad/sad didn't materialise - What could've been

TheImportantFart

Tradflatulist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know the story - a film goes into development, then languishes there for years, going through multiple rewrites, production personnel and actors. Sometimes this remains the state of things and sometimes something actually materialises from the process. Usually it's awful to mediocre, and very occasionally it's good or even great. Almost always, there's a juicy behind the scenes story to be told and you're left wondering what could've been if a certain road had been taken and if things would have been better or worse if so.

So what are some versions of films that didn't materialise where you've been relieved/disappointed it didn't go that way? This could cover story changes, actors who ended up not being involved, a director who left the project, pretty much anything that didn't make the final cut.

For me the ones that most readily spring to mind are:

Harry Potter

In the glad camp, I'm relieved that Steven Spielberg's proposed vision for a Harry Potter film never saw the light of day. He wanted to do it animated and have Haley Joel Osment voice Harry. It sounds like it would've been absolutely fucking terrible.

On the flipside of that, I'm gutted Terry Gilliam didn't direct the first film. He was J.K. Rowling's first choice to direct and he would've been perfect. Such a shame.

Alien 3

Probably one of the most infamous Hollywood production stories ever, the script went through multiple rewrites from some very prominent writers such as David Twohy and William Gibson. Various directors were also attached including Renny Harlin. Vincent Ward is the one who came closest to hammering together a working concept for the film. It would've been set on a wooden planet run by monks who shun technology. Aside from that, the overarching plot was apparently pretty much the same as what we ended up with, but it sounds like Ward's version would at least have been more visually interesting.

Fantastic Four

Another infamous one which was apparently beset by studio meddling. I'm still intrigued by Josh Trank's statement that there was an earlier version of the films which was supposedly infinitely better than the one we ended up with and whether that was actually the case. I guess we may never know.

Those are mine. What are some of yours?

FatFuckFrank

It's great, it's crack, it gets you high.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Obligatory Jordowsky's Dune post

The guy behind The Holy Mountain and El Topo wanted to make a Dune movie, and it was going to have Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, David Carradine, Salvador Dali, a score composed by Pink Floyd during the height of their career, with art done by HR Giger

edit:

fuck my spot was taken

here's a link to a documentary telling you what could have been

kadoink

kiwifarms.net
There were like 3 versions of Alien 3s story before they went with the prison planet.

There was one where they went to the Alien homeworld and went to war with them there, there was the one where Ripley was on like an artificial wooden planet with celibate monks, I think there was even one on a Weyland-Yutani vessel where Ripley, Hicks, and a now adult Newt were specimens being analyzed. I can't remember anymore because the reason we got the movie we did was because Fox put out a 1992 deadline via advertising and rushed into it.

Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Beetlejuice 2: the juice in Hawaii or some shit like that.

I liked the first one so much that any sequel would probably ruin the first one, especially this far after the original was shot.

Ghosts aren’t supposed to age/change, and all the makeup in the world won’t change the fact that Alec Baldwin is now a fat fuck.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
Edgar Wright's Ant-Man. Edgar Wright had been interested in making an Ant-Man film for over a decade, so he signed up to make one around 2010-12. A few years into production, Marvel rewrites his script without any input from him, he says "fuck it" and walks. Peyton Reed took over and shit out the least interesting entry in the MCU. Its not even interesting enough to be bad, like Thor 2. It just exists.

But what could have been..

The Pink Panther

The Dumb Squash From Lugash
kiwifarms.net
Not a film, but for the Twilight Zone, the original ending of A Game of Pool where instead of it being "be careful what you wish for", it was "sucked you lost, but you tried anyway". That would've sucked and it stunk that they went with that in the 1985 remake of the episode. A Twilight Zone without a karmic twist is no Twilight Zone to me.

SmileyTimeDayCare

kiwifarms.net
Alien 3

Probably one of the most infamous Hollywood production stories ever, the script went through multiple rewrites from some very prominent writers such as David Twohy and William Gibson. Various directors were also attached including Renny Harlin. Vincent Ward is the one who came closest to hammering together a working concept for the film. It would've been set on a wooden planet run by monks who shun technology. Aside from that, the overarching plot was apparently pretty much the same as what we ended up with, but it sounds like Ward's version would at least have been more visually interesting.
It's--something anyway:

Alien fans rejoice! William Gibson's original script for Alien 3 is being turned into an audiobook by Audible. Not only that, but Michael Biehn is returning to reprise his role as Corporal Hicks for the audio dramatization of the story. This is, all around, great news for fans of the franchise. Not only because we're currently in a bit of a dry spell on the movie front ever since Alien: Covenant was released, but this will allow us to experience what could have been in perhaps the most authentic way possible.
Alien 3 was stuck in development at Fox for some time following the success of James Cameron's 1986 sequel Aliens, which was the first sequel to Ridley Scott's original sci-fi classic. Eventually, David Fincher wound up in the director's chair for a story that involved Ripley being the sole survivor of the Sulaco, with both Newt and Hicks winding up dead. Ripley ends up on a planet occupied by former prisoners and a Xenomorph begins to wreak havoc on the place. The movie has its defenders. That said, it couldn't match its predecessors and served, in many ways, as a disappointment.

Things could have gone in a very different direction. Originally, legendary sci-fi author William Gibson, whose works include Neuromancer and Count Zero, was hired by the studio to pen a version of Alien 3 in 1987. His version, which now lives in infamy, was never made and simply collected dust for many years. It was recently given a comic book adaptation by Dark Horse and now, we're getting this audio drama. Audible released a brief synopsis for the audiobook, which reads as follows.
"The story begins with the Sulaco on its return journey from LV-426. On board the military ship are the cryogenically frozen skeleton crew of that film's survivors: Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop. We travel aboard and hear an alarm blare. Our heroes are no longer alone..."
Michael Biehn hasn't reprised his role as Hicks on screen since 1986. He has, however, lent his voice to several video games in the past, such as Aliens: Colonial Marines. For many, one of the great failings of 1992's Alien 3 was not bringing back Hicks or Newt and, instead, killing them both off screen. Maybe if we're really lucky they can get Sigourney Weaver back as well? Probably not, but a little wishful thinking never hurt anyone.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Apparently, the original cut of The Dark Crystal was done entirely in an alien language with no subtitles. When test screenings reacted poorly, Henson and his team dubbed in English lines so that people could follow it.

To be honest, I can see why people wouldn't like that, but I personally would love to see that version of the film someday, just to see if the visuals and body language of the characters are enough to make the story understandable. It'd be an interesting experiment if nothing else.

But yeah, it was for the best that it was changed.

purpleboy

Purple Spergosaur
kiwifarms.net
I’m glad Phantom Blood: The Movie never released outside of theaters, it was apparently so awful and source unfaithful that Araki had it shelved personally

One that would’ve been fascinating however is the scrapped Zelda movie concept by the studio behind the CGI TMNT movie from 2007

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
Sad:

The original versions of Friday the 13th Part 3:

The original idea was gonna continue with the main character of the 2nd movie, she is placed in a mental institution where Jason tries to get her while attacking patients and doctors/nurses/interns. Sure it sounded a bit like Halloween 2, but it would have been something to have a character from the previous films coming back, I mean is Tommy Jarvis the only one? Yeah Alice came back, but to get killed. And the idea of Jason just going to some random location and killing whatever moved like this one and Part 4 to me was kinda nonsensical, unless they were gonna play off that the cops were after him and they sealed off his shack and he was like a wounded animal or something. The other version had an ending that plays off the same way, only that biker dude survives, and when the cops arrive Jason was nowhere to be found. This version kinda makes better sense because having that biker come back to help the main character only to get killed seemed kinda pointless and the fact that Jason disappears the next day gives it a Halloween vibe. But this was meant to be the last one, until they made another. And another and another.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino